Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Andhaira

Arcane
They better use Arena-esque box cover art

e512d1ec3a3cbe384bac97c9c8b21a82.jpg

deama

Prophet
Didn't Fluent make the same post earlier? I think that one was in general gaming though, maybe.

Anyway, hopefully they're not gonna go crazy and make it on a sexy new engine like unreal, crytec, or even unity. Maybe they can just use a heavily modified version of the original Daggerfall? What about if they contact that guy that was doing that daggerfallXL thing and ask him to give them everything he's got? Then they have the foundation + all the assets of Daggerfall, that would cut the cost and time by a lot I would imagine.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
• A huge dynamic world to explore

• Non-linear and branching endless quests, which evolve the world, like a great virtual gamemaster running a pen and paper campaign

How do you create a dynamically evolving world?
In my imagination this must be similar to a RTS game (like Age of Empires): various factions in the game whose goal is to rule the world, and who recruit units, create buildings, conquer land. All in realtime. You can do nothing and things will happen, or you can join a faction and things will happen. The emphasis being on "things will happen, regardless what you do, in realtime and even independently of the player".
Is this it?

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
Actually I certainly hope they do try to make the best art and graphics they can and not pander to blind nostalgia. Arena and Daggerfall tried to make the nicest graphics they could at the time. So there is no reason not to do the same now. I don't see the point of just trying to remake Daggerfall if they don't improve anything.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
And Pedocord is ass for discussion anyway. They should have asked for a sub forum at The Imperial Library.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm coming back from their Discord, Ted Peterson is brainposting and shitposting there for whole day, today!

Many teases, his in-depth opinions on his Bethesda past (from Arena to Oblivion), ideas for grand role-play on grand scale (min. being Ted and Julian's idea of Morrowind that lost battle against Todd's Morrowind and max. being bigger then Daggerfall), financial future and status of company (I pushed for this question, among others) etc.

Also apparently one of the devs from AoD works with them and Ted loved AoD! Also spell making is 101% guaranteed by Ted, lycanthropy is in, magic that can't be bought of shelf, NPCs and factions with CK2 style dynamic traits and powerplay that player might join, many races of which few quite unique but no furry ones because of fear of Bethesda lawyers etc. If you join their Council of Wisdom discord, do expect Sheogorath sense of humour from Ted. Let's say he has molestation monopoly on Julian. His words. With or without GOAT CHEESE! My words

I have hopes for this, sue me! I'll probably rename myself to Chancellor Incline later. Don't ya take my name from me! See you all there

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Modding recognized as important, no mortal essential NPCs, they're working with dude called Vijay who was lead producer on Arena and has 20+ year fundraising exp, raising hundreds of millions of dolares, setting is inspired by high/late medieval, Julian runs D&D campaigns and Ted Vampire the Masquerade ones, Ted is fascinated with obscure Wolf Cults from Medieval era, focus on ecosystems of monsters and men and dynamics in them and between them, Julian explores AI that was never before explored in RPGs, minigames but only if they're minifuns because otherwise they're stealing player's playtime, Ted's inspiration for Sheogorath was Joker & Maestro from Cabaret, gunpowder weapons? mmaybe

I think I'm developing Rogey's complex for these devs!

Could you post those (maybe a screencap)? I wanted to know what kind of game they have in mind.
Later tonight, or tomorrow I'll make compilation and archive their every single promise, wish or idea so that years later we can call them out on it :D

tindrli

Arcane
I hope they don't use Unity.
It'd be pretty cool if the graphics/art was similiar to daggerfall, with sprites and stuff.
i respectfully disagree. i just wish the dont do anything colorful cartoonish... just opposite would be beautifull

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
what are their thoughts on determinism and rng?
Good agenda question! Compile your agenda, agh I mean questions Codex, and I'll be your agent there!
i respectfully disagree. i just wish the dont do anything colorful cartoonish... just opposite would be beautifull
99% Unreal, 1% Unity and 0% custom engine - so was said by Sheogorath Ted

tindrli

Arcane
what are their thoughts on determinism and rng?
Good agenda question! Compile your agenda, agh I mean questions Codex, and I'll be your agent there!
99% Unreal, 1% Unity and 0% custom engine - so was said by Sheogorath Ted
i dont give a fuck about engine.. i just hope if project survives, i just hope that it will not be like underworld, bards tale or god forbid that new , that outerworlds graphics style

grimace

Arcane
EDkQYhfXsAId_OQ

We are a new company in early pre-production on a new role-playing game. As we detail out the design, we will share more details, but here’s what we can say at this stage.

The game production is being led by three members of the original Elder Scrolls team:

Julian LeFay, Technical Director, who led programming and production on Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, as well as many more games over the years.

Vijay Lakshman, Executive Producer, who was lead designer and producer on Arena and went on to produce over 80 additional titles.

Ted Peterson, Design Director, who was on the design and writing team for Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion, as well as numerous other titles.

Ian Phoenix, our Marketing Director, runs the Indigo Gaming YouTube channel.

While we’re getting financing for our project, we are in preproduction with the help of a dozen very talented artists, designers, writers, coders, and producers who are dedicating their time and effort to this passion project. We have all agreed not to divulge any additional details of the specific work being done and features being considered until we feel they’re ready to be discussed.

The principal game pillars are inspired on classic RPGs including those on our collective experience:

• A huge dynamic world to explore

• Rich lore to be discovered, through NPCs and in-game books

• Non-linear and branching endless quests, which evolve the world, like a great virtual gamemaster running a pen and paper campaign

• Robust character generation and advancement​

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1980&sid=2507ec156dd717f8cb58cfbd1238a121&start=40

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom