Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That DMG is indeed quite fun.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Did u guys have tried Mothership? It seems to be cool. But I think it only have a player book (free at drivethru) e an adventure, called Dead Planet.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Did u guys have tried Mothership? It seems to be cool. But I think it only have a player book (free at drivethru) e an adventure, called Dead Planet.

No, but thanks for bringing it up, I added it to my watchlist. The premise reminded me of a game called Hulks & Horrors I ordered along with SWN and BFRPG. No comment on that either as I'm still waiting for it.

Curratum

I've given up on stock D&D and am finishing up a mashup of David Black's 'Black Hack' and Christian Mehrstam's 'White Hack'.

Very, very rules light stuff, 3 classes because screw clerics and the 'divine', I want to hack ogres to bits and perform Indiana Jones stunts, not pore over a fucking pantheon.

I've been over literally every OSR system, anything you can find on DriveThru and god knows where else (Whitehack is sold as a physical booklet only). In the end I figured out I need to make my own if I want it to be just what I need.

Xorphitus

Scholar
When it comes to OSR games I usually ran OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord AEC. I liked OSRIC since it had all that is needed to play in one book but with the ALL on the horizon it be in one book. With print editions available of AD&D and the Rules Cyclopedia through DriveThru the retroclones I mention are no longer important.

Other then the retroclones I mentioned I also enjoy playing C&C. It is nice to have an updated AD&D that doesn't have lengthy character creation or an encyclopedia sized set of books that you feel you must buy.

Curratum

I'm making pretty good progress with my homebrew hack but sadly, it's not in English. As I said, I'm making it so I can get my kid to play what is essentially D&D before he finishes first grade.

Through some pretty horrible black magic, I managed to have proper armor class for enemies and players AND keep the attack roll a single d20 without any modifiers, addition or subtraction. Spells work off a mana pool that caps at 12 points, so you're almost always doing subtraction below 10 and this is (I think) the only instance apart from HP where you actually do math with anything dynamic. The classes have a progression table with skills they get at milestones, it's all quite pleasant, given how simple everything is.

I hope I can finish the rule framework this Christmas break. I have a hoard of stolen Pathfinder and D&D artwork, which I'm going to Indesign into a more or less profesionally looking full-color book which I will print for the kid.

I might give the rules a Google Translate push once it's done and publish the results if it's not too hideous.

Curratum

Bonus peek - everything is roll under, if a goblin has 1 AC, it's baked into the low end of the D20 roll.

A fighter with 11 STR trying to hit a goblin with 1 AC succeeds on 2 - 11 (above the enemy AC but below/within the stat), crits happen if you hit your exact stat value. This was my biggest gripe with the Black Hack - enemies had no AC and it was as easy to hit a goblin as it was to hit a dragon - you just roll under your STR to land the hit. Black Hack has a "strong enemies" rule where you would add the difference between the fighter's level and the enemy's HD to the roll, making it harder but frankly, FUCK tracking and adding a different number every combat. Under this system, a dragon would have, let's say, 6 AC, meaning the fighter would only land the hit on 7 - 11.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sounds interesting. I like your elegant to-hit solution. I might be interested to your system a peek if you do manage to put it up somewhere. For your own sake I suggest you rip out any art you might've stolen before showing it to us, though.

Curratum

Yeah, of course, I'll just dump the plain text and tables. The art is just for my kid and to make the physical book fancy and cool.

p.s. the solution is not really mine, it's mostly the White Hack's. White Hack is burdened with a ton of new-age sensibilities that I really don't like, though, so I had to pick and choose mechanics from a bunch of sources.

Curratum

I have been possessed by the spirit of Christmas!

Now the system I'm making has a healthy dose of B/X in it, but just in the sections of the rules the DM needs to use. The player-facing side of things is still all single "roll high under" D20 rolls for everything, no +/- X modifiers, just advantage and disadvantage. I could not resist the allure of B/X traps, it's just the most sensible way to handle traps and secret doors. The hidden d6 roll is just ugh, so nice. I touched it up a little, my rogue can spot traps on 1-4. I don't feel 4 in 6 is overpowered because the rogue is supposed to be good at this. But he's not really much of a rogue, is he, because he also gets an animal companion at higher levels and is a thief / monk / ranger mix. And the wizard is really a caster with divine and arcane spells mashed into one. And the fighter gets frenzy at high levels, as well as 5E-flavored fighting styles.

Monsters have HP, AC and a single SKILL number, that is both their attack value and saving throw.
Player stats are 2d6+3, you get a chance to increase them with every level, if you roll higher than current stat on a d20, which is basically Black Hack.

I wish I had more people to playtest this shit with. :(

Curratum

I just looked up what previous KS projects the guy had run and can confirm that Hot Springs Island is excellent OSR stuff that tastes like freshly baked cake.

Curratum

Knowing how Mr. Biskup prices his digital products, I expect the tabletop RPG to cost $300.

The only thing I want to see is what the alleged clever new twist / fix / improvement on Avd/Disadv mechanics is.

Nope, screw this. Anything that poses as OSR but includes bullshit like BAB in the level advancement table can go fuck right off.

Character advancement to level 36... Yeah, seems like OSR to me! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Xorphitus

Scholar
Maybe $300 dollars will be the starter tier which will give backers a pdf copy of the phb.

Behead the proponents of BAB!!!! lol

He must have loved BECMI D&D since the Master box went up to level 36.

Curratum

The I in BECMI stands for Immortals, doesn't it? :D That doesn't really mesh with my notion of OSR.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Immortals is the deformed tard child locked away in the attic that should be left out of conversations of that era of D&D. It was a clear sign Mentzer was a bit off thinking that was something worth putting out. Good thing the Cyclopedia left it out. Still a much easier thing to block from memory than the abomination of 4e that the fuckheads at WOTC unleashed.

Curratum

I haven't read all the rules of 4E but it didn't seem that bad from just skimming the core books. Sure, it feels like a MMO with cooldowns and it's mostly a tactical combat game but it didn't feel that stupid.

Curratum

My favorite false argument is "4e gets in the way of my roleplaying! It's all dice rolls, hurr durr I want to roleplay, not rollplay!"

3.5 was an endless stream of calculus, what the fuck are you on about?

Curratum

This was a good laugh, thanks! :D

P.S. In that system I was making, the fighter can cough up 1d8 HP twice per day, at any point in time, as a free action! :D

Curratum

I'm such a huge fan of Leiber, I wish Lankhmar made its way into 5E as a supplement, gained more exposure. Outside of DCC and two, maybe three booklets for Savage Worlds, it's nowhere to be seen. I remember ancient AD&D sourcebooks for it but it was terrible TSR fluff of the worst kind.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The original 1st edition Lankhmar book is quite good - it works well with the AD&D rules (after all, AD&D is closest in tone to Leiber's stories), the city map is good, and the background information is succinct and well written. I just pulled the book off my shelf to take another look at it. :D The modules and later additions are considered terrible, although I only base this on second-hand information.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Curratum Moongoose also released some RuneQuest II (sometimes known as MRQII) compatible material in the mid to late aughts (Lankhmar, Newhon, and Lankhmar Unleashed) that wasn't bad. It definitely does a better job of capturing the aesthetics and power level present in Lieber's fiction, but that's more a function of BRP/RuneQuest, which is much more adept at handling the Sword & Sorcery genre than the various flavors of D&D typically do.

Curratum

RuneQuest is not a set of design principles I can say I subscribe to, though. I do agree it's better suited to the flavor and power level of heroes in the fiction but it's far too cumbersome for my taste.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom