Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*out of date* - PS:T 1024x768 UI pack (v0.6)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Do you mean the savegame screenshots? I tried the offsets but nothing seems to change.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Scient, you mentioned you reworked the cd check system. Did you make changes the graphical display process too (i mean the "please insert disc x to drive..." screen)? from 0018f539 in 2cd ver

scient

Augur
Actually I did. In stock game it would find the first cd/dvd drive letter and display that and if it couldn't it would just display "drive". I needed a batch more room for my patches to display morale and LAW/GOOD numeric values so I shortened it to just "drive". It was arbitrary what drive letter it displayed so I didn't think it mattered especially since most folks use no cd.

On another note, Mr. Spitzley got back to me a couple days. Not going to say anything till everything gets settled but he is definitely into helping out. :)

edit:
I didn't patch anything at 0x18f539, the two cd functions I patched are at 0x3A0FC (cd check) and 0x3A40F (drive letter display).

75978230no0.png

78758620xc6.png

taplonaplo

Scholar
in that case that fixpack 3.0 includes nocd, i think it doesn't matter (to the ui mods), as the widescreen mod requires full install anyway, so you'd never get to the cd check screen.

scient

Augur
Even with full install there is cd validation. My patches as part of the fixpack won't include a no cd since folks who host SHS forbid any kind of cd circumvention. This is why I had to rewrite it as opposed to just removing it completely. Granted, my changes to cd check code won't conflict with any of the no cd patchers I could find.

Silva

Arcane
Amazing work outhere guys.

PLease help me here:

I have 2 CD version and the option 2) - with background - doesnt works. Only option 1) works.

Can someone help? I would prefer using the option with background (2).

EDIT:

I just found out its a problem in the executable (torment.exe). When I get back this fale from the "backup" folder, the game runs, but with problems (screens not centered, between other things).

taplonaplo

Scholar
please could you be a bit more specific? i was able to run the mod on the 2cd version with background without crash. In case you get an assertion error, can you tell me what it says?

@Silva: sorry for the problem, I'll look into it in a couple of days. In the meantime, could you tell, as taplonaplo asked, which kind of error do you get?

Silva

Arcane
Sorry guys, I was sleepy in the last message.

- - -

I heve the 2 CDs version.
I make a full install (intall the game, than copy manually all contents to disk and edit torment.ini - dont know if this is really necessary, though)
I patch the game with Platter FixPack v1.37
I apply widescreen patch (it works fine in 1024 x 768).

Then I apply the Venished One Patch... and it dont run. Neither option 1 or 2 runs. It shows an error screen saying the program must be closed (in my native language, portuguese), then I click in "show error info" and it shows
"ErrorSignature: Torment.exe".

When I click "debug" it simply closes and come back to desktop. :(

p.s: the only way I managed to run it, was taking the torment.exe from the backup folder in the patch folder. But this way it gets buggy (screens dont center, for eg).

p.s2: by the way, the GhostDog Widescreen Patch 1280 x 800 worked perfectly. But this resolution lets the fonts too small in my 17" screen. The maximum for me is 1024 x 768.

taplonaplo

Scholar
wow, that's something new (as for the error).
It could be the case that platter's fix pack causing the problems, (i haven't tried it with modified ui), but i suggest you to use the pst-fixpack by qwinn ( http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/pst-fixpack ) as that includes the platter fixes (and also some other), and is known to be compatible with the mod. but then i wonder how could ghostdog's version work.
EDIT: sorry misread this part [If no background option works fine, theorically copying the content of pst-1024x768UI/UI_BACKGROUND to the override folder (rewriting the old files) after the installation of option 1 (no background) should work.]

To Vanished: Is that intentional that loading screens/cdcheck screen are not resized, or is it just my setup goin wrong? I'll also send you the script to get gbarfore animating tomorrow if i can. EDIT: on 2cd version that is.

UPDATE: i'm not sure if i understand it correctly, the situaton is that you start setup-pst-1024x768UI.exe, you are given the 2 choices and choosing either of them results in that the setup errors (what i mean that the program shuts itself down and not just prints bunch of error "here n there")

Silva

Arcane
UPDATE: i'm not sure if i understand it correctly, the situaton is that you start setup-pst-1024x768UI.exe, you are given the 2 choices and choosing either of them results in that the setup errors
The setup goes fine. The problem is when I lunch the game - it crashes.
The problem is in the edited torment.exe I think, because when I use the original one from the backup folder, it runs (but buggy).

And, actually, no option works, be it 1) (with backgrounds) or 2) (without backgrounds). Nothing. :(

EDIT: I just patched the game with the fixpack you gave me... nothing.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Can you upload the bad torment.exe? In the mean time, i'll upload mine , see if it works for you. http://rapidshare.com/files/160882379/T ... 4.exe.html
I'd assume that the setup writes some wrong offsets, whcih would be really weird as the same checking system and offsets are used in the widescreen mod as well and you reported that it worked fine =/.

Silva said:
I make a full install (intall the game, than copy manually all contents to disk and edit torment.ini - dont know if this is really necessary, though)
It's needed for the widescreen mod.

the only way I managed to run it, was taking the torment.exe from the backup folder in the patch folder. But this way it gets buggy (screens dont center, for eg).
Unfortunately restoring the original torment.exe will never work, the changes in it are needed by the mod.

Perhaps the portuguese edition has its own executable, and by chance the offset I use to check the version is identical.

taplonaplo said:
To Vanished: Is that intentional that loading screens/cdcheck screen are not resized, or is it just my setup goin wrong?
EDIT: on 2cd version that is.
No, it's not intentional. I'll look into that.

edit: by "resized" you mean centered on black background? If they aren't, then there's something wrong. Does the installer tell you "Patching backgrounds for save/ load/ unload screens (32 files)" at some point?

taplonaplo

Scholar
the background mos resizing of loading screens is a 4cd exclusive(or so says the setup tp2), yea i mean centered. Altho it could be that i fucked something up once.

Those notes are wrong, I forgot to remove them after you posted the offsets. I will have a look.

edit: Another thing: do you know the offset for celestial host - gate effect center y for 2CD?

taplonaplo

Scholar
2d92dd
Yep, but there's a cdchek in the save_load_unload thingie that prevents it from running in 2cdver

scient

Augur
taplonaplo said:
2d92dd
Yep, but there's a cdchek in the save_load_unload thingie that prevents it from running in 2cdver

edit: Ah, nm. See post below didn't realize you were talking about tph cd check.

taplonaplo

Scholar
nope vanished, i meant save_load_unload.tph (in which you included a cdcheck, hence loadingscreens do not center on 2cd) sorry.
the offset is fine.

scient

Augur
Here is offset in 2cd where patched code is causing crash: 0x232FBE.

In the crashing exe posted by Silva it is:
E8 E4 00 04 00

While it should be:
E8 E4 30 25 00

Actually, it looks like the patch data for that area got completely botched. Even if those bytes above are corrected there are invalid op codes after it that will make exe crash and burn. I cannot make any corrections without knowing what this patch was suppose to achieve.

edit: Replacing these bytes at 0x232FBE will sort the crashing problem based on exe taplonaplo posted.

crashing bytes:
E8 E4 00 04 00 83 C4 08 89 00 03 FE FF FF

fixed:
E8 E4 30 25 00 83 C4 08 89 85 E4 FE FF FF

This most likely is due to a typo because I can't see why those two op codes were getting patched. One was a call to function and other was storing a pointer into stack

I'm glad to hear that the problem has been solved. Thanks, taplonaplo & scient!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom