Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast: Second Contact - Outcast remake

Dexter

Arcane
Wow, I didn't even know this came out, Steam's discovery queue seems to be permanently clogged with irrelevant unrelated shit.
I think that's the main problem, they need to get big spots on some Sales, get into some Bundles and get some publicity or their (new) company likely won't survive this.

:Flash:

Arcane
Wow, I didn't even know this came out, Steam's discovery queue seems to be permanently clogged with irrelevant unrelated shit.
I think that's the main problem, they need to get big spots on some Sales, get into some Bundles and get some publicity or their (new) company likely won't survive this.
Ironically it's 45% off starting today on GOG, but it's not even on the front page.
https://af.gog.com/game/outcast_second_contact?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ironically it's 45% off starting today on GOG, but it's not even on the front page.
Wut, it's been thus since it launched on GoG men. That's the price I got it at, about 4 days ago.

Arcane
Wut, it's been thus since it launched on GoG men. That's the price I got it at, about 4 days ago.
I got that in the GoG newsletter today, so I thought that it started today.

Deathsquid

Learned
I got that in the GoG newsletter today, so I thought that it started today.
Hmm, they really should've made it cost 20-25€ at launch, it's a relatively unknown title after all, at a lower price bracket it'd have been in an easier spot for impulse purchases and such. 40 is not an impulse buy bracket anymore, it's automatically a "game for people that do their research".

Which is cool and good, but only if the studio wants to stop making games and find a new line of work.

Rev

Arcane
I am playing this and it is really fucking good. I always wanted to play Outcast, bought it several times but never got around to it, that weird ass graphics and horrible running animation just turned me off. Remake fixes both and lets the cool design and atmosphere shine. It really shows how much of a leap this game was for its time.
I've yet to play the remake (but I bought it at day1 to support the devs), but the original Outcast was really great. Graphics were weak even for its time, but beyond that the game was truly a masterpiece.
Sadly I just bought it and played it around 2010, since I was too young when it was first released.

Arcane
I am playing this and it is really fucking good. I always wanted to play Outcast, bought it several times but never got around to it, that weird ass graphics and horrible running animation just turned me off. Remake fixes both and lets the cool design and atmosphere shine. It really shows how much of a leap this game was for its time.
I've yet to play the remake (but I bought it at day1 to support the devs), but the original Outcast was really great. Graphics were weak even for its time, but beyond that the game was truly a masterpiece.
When Outcast was released the graphics were breathtaking. It had the furthest viewing distance I'd ever seen and it was the first game ever to have the kind of water effects that later became ubiquitous with shaders. It also was an enormous CPU hog because it did all of that on the CPU.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah if I had played Outcast back in 99 I am pretty sure it would have been in my "best games of all time" group. For its time, it was just ahead of everything else.

But even the remake, while low budget, being played now, is highly enjoyable. I finished it this morning (98% completion, 80% on sidequests, no idea what I missed). The atmosphere still works, music is just incredible and Cutter Slade is basically Jack O'Neill, so for a Stargate SG1 fan who always wanted Stargate game and never got one, this was the next best thing.

v1rus

Arcane
Yeah if I had played Outcast back in 99 I am pretty sure it would have been in my "best games of all time" group. For its time, it was just ahead of everything else.

But even the remake, while low budget, being played now, is highly enjoyable. I finished it this morning (98% completion, 80% on sidequests, no idea what I missed). The atmosphere still works, music is just incredible and Cutter Slade is basically Jack O'Neill, so for a Stargate SG1 fan who always wanted Stargate game and never got one, this was the next best thing.

Side quests - you probably didnt blow up the 4 boats and fake Gorgon in Shamazaar (a tropical region of Adelpha).

Paul_cz

Arcane

Side quests - you probably didnt blow up the 4 boats and fake Gorgon in Shamazaar (a tropical region of Adelpha).

Yeah I have no idea what you are talking about :D

v1rus

Arcane

There is a pool with a fake gorgon behind one of the temples AFAIR. And there are four little boats leading to the temple in center - they are relatively easy to find. If you blow all that stuff, your side quest completion should rise to 100%

Paul_cz

Arcane

There is a pool with a fake gorgon behind one of the temples AFAIR. And there are four little boats leading to the temple in center - they are relatively easy to find. If you blow all that stuff, your side quest completion should rise to 100%
Wow, that is..quite WTF. Unfortunately I already uninstalled it :)

v1rus

Arcane

Wow, that is..quite WTF. Unfortunately I already uninstalled it :)

Yeah, it is. Found it by googling.

Strange tho. Lots of people seem to uninstall games when they finish 'em. I like keeping all manner of stuff i enjoyed on my HDD.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah, it is. Found it by googling.

Strange tho. Lots of people seem to uninstall games when they finish 'em. I like keeping all manner of stuff i enjoyed on my HDD.

I install games on my SSD when playing for faster loadings and my SSD is small, so I have to uninstall to make space for the next thing.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I only used twon-ha in the rice region and only for a while for the novelty of it.

Arcane
I just started playing Outcast again, and man am I hooked again. It has been almost 20 years that I first played it...

So question: Which version to play? I have both, but my Windows is 32 bit and Second Contact needs 64 bit. So install 64 bit windows or just continue with Outcast 1.1?
Is there any reason other than graphics, or is there even more decline like the "modern" HUD in second contact?

Paul_cz

Arcane
I just started playing Outcast again, and man am I hooked again. It has been almost 20 years that I first played it...

So question: Which version to play? I have both, but my Windows is 32 bit and Second Contact needs 64 bit. So install 64 bit windows or just continue with Outcast 1.1?
Is there any reason other than graphics, or is there even more decline like the "modern" HUD in second contact?

They are identical apart from animations, graphics and great controller support. I played Second Contact on TV with controller and enjoyed the shit out of it. The fixed running animation itself is a godsend, I always hated how in the original Cutter looks like he has a stick up his ass when running. And the graphics is significant improvement:

FECC4627D2D4298F0B79F2B17F82C18D063E3830

E74B20D053D014111E8C4FB3903AE2E0CB3FCA19

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Play both, seven times each and report your findings.

:hero:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fixed running animation itself is a godsend, I always hated how in the original Cutter looks like he has a stick up his ass when running.
And that was because his animations were basically the Talan animations on an 'umie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom