Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Outlast 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by anduin, Apr 23, 2016.

1. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex

^ Top  
  2. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Thought they'd call it quits after the DLC given how worn out the Spooky Walking Sim genre has gotten.

^ Top  
  3. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    It looks like it has a better sense of style, since the first one would typically cram three dicks, eight piles of bodies, and four cutscenes in a span of five minutes. I also think the spooky village can be a better setting, especially since it's still populated and not just everyone is trying to kill you like a typical zombie game.

I still doubt I'd like it, but it at least looks like they're putting more care and less EDGE into it. And that's saying something, since the video ends with a pile of dead children.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    There are indication of some fantasy or psychological horror elements:
    Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  5. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    I think this was introductory level. I'm sure there will be classic Outlast feel.

In my turn I would like that player would have the option to play more defensive-offensive if he/she prefers that way with some better stealth.
    In true horror survival you would feel the sheer fear but your basic insticts will tell you to put down live threatening enemies if you would find the way and the tools. Not just run and hide. Maybe some elements of Alien isolation would suffice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    Did we play the same game? Outlast is full of tasteless trash horror, with tons of jump scare moments and no subtlety whatsoever.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. orcinator Savant

orcinator

Where's the Red Barrels dev tag.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    I had to google outlast after you said it had no jumpscares, maybe I mixed it up with another game. But I was right it was tht abomination with the shitty filmgrain effect. I did not play it for long because but there was one moment that stuck with me and summed up wh I didnt like it. Somewhere in the beginning you go aong a corridor and two naked psychotic gay dudes come running at you, then theres bars between them and you, so the shock moment ended with the two naked gays growling at you from the other side of the bars and they dont move an inch. I got up and made me a coffe ten minutes later theyre still there looking at you and "scaring you to death".

I forgot about the rest of the game, I think there was some problem with the shadows, but I forgot what enraged me there. Game was really shit but I think people liked it.

^ Top  
  9. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    ^ Top  
  10. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Codex 2013
    To be fair, those naked dudes had nice dicks. Even if they were butt ugly themselves.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    This is true, but it does jump scares better than any other horror game I can think of. And the night vision cam gimmick, while a total cliche in the realm of horror films now, worked really well. I enjoyed the game as a sort of low budget, grind house, horror show. At its best it achieved the frantic pacing of the last 10 minutes of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" for brief moments (until you'd hit a sequence where you'd die 20 times in a row and ultimately have to get past via trial and error and all tension would immediately give way to frustration).

I'm a sucker for survival horror, though. I really liked "Amnesia" too. Strangely, not "Alien: Isolation," though, which was overly long and had too many silly gamey elements to distract you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    ^ Top  
  12. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Frictional do subtlety much better, but I don't think RedBarrel is going for that, so you can't knock them for that if that's your thing. I think of Outlast as being a victim in a Halloween movie. Scripted as fuck but it's manufactured to make you feel tense. Thankfully it's quite short.

Haven't tried the DLC. that any good?

^ Top  
  13. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    I liked it more than the OC, but it's not going to change the opinions of someone who didn't like the latter to begin with. There are fewer "obvious" hiding spots, which is a plus for me.

^ Top  
  14. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
  15. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Review embargo is lifted.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/24/outlast-2-review

http://www.pcgamer.com/outlast-2-review/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/24/outlast-2-review/

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    ^ Top  
  18. waterdeep Learned

waterdeep

spoilers obviously

"fuck you and fuck your god" owwww the edge

^ Top  
  19. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    I don't understand why the codexian detractors are treating Outlast as if it were aspiring to be like Silent Hill, i.e. establish a mood, a tone, dread. To me, it's like a fun night of watching Halloween. Pure, dumb, suspense. That and incredible sound design.

Got around to playing Whistleblower.

-same cheap scares, excellent sound, body horror. game still looks gorgeous
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Played and finished so you don't have to. I enjoyed Outlast for being a fun slasher film in game form. I expect cheap scares, body horror, gotcha sound cues and all that jazz. Outlast 2 does the same shit, just a lot longer this time around. Most disappointing of all is that it plays exactly the same way as the first did. You can't use items to distract enemies, you can't use materials to fortify doors or even defend yourself with your fists. There is very little downtime this time around, the game consists entirely of chase sequences and pretty awful "puzzles" where you have to activate an item or move an object before the Boss AI sees/rapes you.

Story is all shock value, as is all the religious imagery, GOD MADE ME DU DIS bullcrap. I still enjoyed this for the outstanding sound, and the presentation is very well done (fooled me, I didn't know it was Unreal Engine 3).

TLDR: more of the same, doesn't aspire to make any gameplay improvements upon the original. the setting doesn't lend itself to uncovering a mystery since the game loves throwing shit at you all the time. what a shame.
    :3/5:

on to SOMA!

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. SumDrunkGuy Arbiter

SumDrunkGuy
    I've developed feelings for Marta. Like I get that the developers intended for her to be super creepy and inspire feelings of dread/horror but to me that's just sooo unlike her.

Shes actually quite charming and beautiful. Every time she emerges from some dark corner and charges at me screaming I get butterflies and grow excited.

The other night I just let her awkwardly chase me in circles around this trailer full of hay and I would frequently duck underneath it and glance up in a pathetic attempt to catch a glimpse of her lady parts. That went on for about an hour.

At one point she yelled out "spilling your blood will soothe my aching virginity" (or somethin like that) - in that moment I was harder than I'd ever been in my entire life. I think I love her.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
  23. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So ....... 3 years after the fact, I'm considering Outlast 2.

I played the first game and liked it except for the idiot ending where it takes place in an Umbrella secret underground base and the protagonist gets killed by a sweep of commandos.*
    *Whoops, I forgot my spoiler tags! I'll just make this apologetic footnote instead.

If Outlast 2 is more of the same, but without a really dumb hackneyed overplayed ending, I could might give it a shot.

Recommendations?

^ Top  
  24. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Can't say anything about the ending cuz i've never finished it, but gameplay itself is worse than in the first game because level design (yeah i know, "level design") is so poor you don't know where you're supposed to run so 90% of the time you run into a dead end and enemies kill you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fronzel Neekburm Cipher Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes: AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

It's absolute garbage, one of THE worst things I've ever played. And that's coming from someone who really liked the first one. Not scary in the slightest, just frustrating due to exceedingly poor design. Tries way too hard with the edgy dialogue and gross-out gore. Unlike the first one, which was simply a fun B-movie rollercoaster ride, this one has the sordid veneer of being some sort of criticism of religious fanaticism or whatever. But it's all so preposterously shallow and is really only there to crank up the edginess factor some (For example, the catholic priest side character is only there so you can finally have implied child rape in your survival horror game. Yaay!).

It's absolute dreck. Don't say I didn't warn you

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)