Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also liked this game at first.

But then it became more and more apparent that every single element in it is designed to waste your time.

If you like grindy games, you'll probably like this.
But everyone else will just give up frustrated at some point as the game becomes about 80% chores and 20% fun gameplay.

I just fail to find any fun in having to spend hours just walking from A to B, picking berries and doing other boring things just to survive.
I'm fine with things like that in fully committed survival games, where the entire gameplay revolves around survival.
But in Outward, it just seems like they created a Gothic-like game and then added a crapton of survival mechanics on top.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And i didnt believe when people here said they are aiming for borderlands audience isntead of vampire audience.

At least borderlands have actual variety. This has none of it but all the grindy shit.

Jinn

Arcane
And i didnt believe when people here said they are aiming for borderlands audience isntead of vampire audience.

At least borderlands have actual variety. This has none of it but all the grindy shit.

I think you meant to post that in the Outer Worlds thread.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
every fucking time I buy a game not on release I check the codex thread for impressions and looks interesting then get the game then suddenly people post that that the game is undeniable shit, shouldn't be played, etc..
:despair:

Old Hans

Arcane
every fucking time I buy a game not on release I check the codex thread for impressions and looks interesting then get the game then suddenly people post that that the game is undeniable shit, shouldn't be played, etc..
steve-brule-gif-2.gif

JDR13

Arcane

You need to start waiting the mandatory 3-4 weeks.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

early impressions are from fanbois who bought the game on release day and lie to themselves that the money was well spent

later impressions are from gamers who waited for a discount and have less issues differentiating between good stuff and shit

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

early impressions are from fanbois who bought the game on release day and lie to themselves that the money was well spent

later impressions are from gamers who waited for a discount and have less issues differentiating between good stuff and shit

there were later impressions that were good though. the shitflinging didn't start until after I bought it. :dealwithit:

Jinn

Arcane
Draw your own conclusions and don't validate your enjoyment of a game based off the opinions of others. The game is hardly irredeemable shit. It's just not a gloriously constructed masterpiece that most users on this site demand. Games can have flaws, and even be objectively mediocre, and still be lots of fun.

In this case, there's a lot of good things to be found amidst the rather lackluster execution. I'm happy to support a new team of developers if they're trying different things and clearly heading in the right direction with their design.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Draw your own conclusions and don't validate your enjoyment of a game based off the opinions of others. The game is hardly irredeemable shit. It's just not a gloriously constructed masterpiece that most users on this site demand. Games can have flaws, and even be objectively mediocre, and still be lots of fun.

In this case, there's a lot of good things to be found amidst the rather lackluster execution. I'm happy to support a new team of developers if they're trying different things and clearly heading in the right direction with their design.

Yeah I haven't even started it yet but the shitting on it in the last few pages is disheartening...

how does it compare to INSOMNIA?

Jinn

Arcane
how does it compare to INSOMNIA?

All of it's systems are explained, clearly conveyed through UI, and fairly well-balanced with a decent difficulty curve. So at least from a mechanical standpoint, it's a superior action RPG in my eyes. Also much better exploration.

Insomnia has it beat hands down in terms of art direction, atmosphere, world development and writing.

The developers and publisher of Outward aren't weirdly deceptive and don't reek of prolonged scam, so that's a plus. I'd say Outward, despite a lack of content in some areas, is the more finished game.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
I had to choose between this and Nioh. I choose the latter.

Now, tell me how wrong I was! :)

Just refunded this shit.

Faces in character creator are unbelievably ugly. Reminded me of The Outer Worlds.
Animation and graphics are dope for a 2009 release however they suck balls in 2019. Think F76 level of quality.
I like the crafting dialogue but the rest of the UI is fucking retarded.
Combat is clunky and brain dead.

It's an unpolished single player MMORPG designed to waste your time.
I can see why some fluent people would love this but fuck it.

:hmmm:

something doesn't quite add up

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I had to choose between this and Nioh. I choose the latter.

Now, tell me how wrong I was! :)

Just refunded this shit.

Faces in character creator are unbelievably ugly. Reminded me of The Outer Worlds.
Animation and graphics are dope for a 2009 release however they suck balls in 2019. Think F76 level of quality.
I like the crafting dialogue but the rest of the UI is fucking retarded.
Combat is clunky and brain dead.

It's an unpolished single player MMORPG designed to waste your time.
I can see why some fluent people would love this but fuck it.

:hmmm:

something doesn't quite add up

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-winter-sale-2019.45906/page-982#post-6472777

I refunded Nowhere Prophet and I bought Outward instead.

Edit: Also I refunded Outward and I will wait for my salary to buy an RTX 2060 SUPER and finally play Nioh properly. At least this is my plan.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I also liked this game at first.

But then it became more and more apparent that every single element in it is designed to waste your time.

If you like grindy games, you'll probably like this.
But everyone else will just give up frustrated at some point as the game becomes about 80% chores and 20% fun gameplay.

I just fail to find any fun in having to spend hours just walking from A to B, picking berries and doing other boring things just to survive.
I'm fine with things like that in fully committed survival games, where the entire gameplay revolves around survival.
But in Outward, it just seems like they created a Gothic-like game and then added a crapton of survival mechanics on top.

that's the impression I got and why I ultimately chose not to get the game, despite it having a lot of interesting exploration that I usually love in games..

IF the game had some sort of mount system and base-building elements I'd be hardcore into it tho

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Someone creates a CRPG that adds survival elements in an attempt to make exploration difficult and rewarding, and the response of Codexers is to dismiss the game as a time-wasting grind? :rpgcodex:

3ln7rdV.jpg

V1LEiZQ.jpg

YZfa61l.jpg

cvfoZ3P.jpg

Some nifty dungeons, too. :obviously:

Jinn

Arcane
Thing is, if you learn how to play the game, the survival aspects become like any other gameplay instinct. It's really a non-issue after the first 8 hours of gameplay or so. Never felt like it was time-consuming, or that it hindered my gameplay experience at all after that initial learning curve. Generally only served to enhance the feeling of adventure and the sense of traveling great distances.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i like it but i wish it stayed hard in the end because challenge is everything. the game was more fucking fun when you spot a wendigo, set 20 wooden traps and lure it into your barrage of wooden spikes and ingest your best potion and elemental oils to survive.

in the end you see a wendingo, approach it, beat its ass off with your super stick and loot. not that i encourage level scaling, but few more "super" enemy type or even tougher subtype with pallete swap and elemental addition would be cool.

Efe

Erudite
survival & learning what you need for it and how you craft those items is your secondary progression as player.

Jinn

Arcane
i like it but i wish it stayed hard in the end because challenge is everything. the game was more fucking fun when you spot a wendigo, set 20 wooden traps and lure it into your barrage of wooden spikes and ingest your best potion and elemental oils to survive.

in the end you see a wendingo, approach it, beat its ass off with your super stick and loot. not that i encourage level scaling, but few more "super" enemy type or even tougher subtype with pallete swap and elemental addition would be cool.

I generally agree. My last 5 hours or so felt like a bit of an OP steamroll. I guess they've added some end of the game bosses in a free content patch not too long ago, so maybe that helps with the endgame a bit.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Game has shit optimization. Booted it up on my I7, GTX 1060 Max Q, and it was at like 10 FPS. Maybe if I fiddled with some shit I could make it run well enough that it's playable, but kind of sapped my desire to play when I saw that shit.

Jinn

Arcane
Either there is something extremely fucked up with your computer, or you did something extremely wrong with your settings. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to play it with at least 30FPS, if not 50-60FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom