Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Either there is something extremely fucked up with your computer, or you did something extremely wrong with your settings. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to play it with at least 30FPS, if not 50-60FPS.
Rebooted it up and it ran fine with the same exact settings. This Max Q shit throttles the graphical output of the PC sometimes, so that's probably what happened.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
i like it but i wish it stayed hard in the end because challenge is everything. the game was more fucking fun when you spot a wendigo, set 20 wooden traps and lure it into your barrage of wooden spikes and ingest your best potion and elemental oils to survive.

in the end you see a wendingo, approach it, beat its ass off with your super stick and loot. not that i encourage level scaling, but few more "super" enemy type or even tougher subtype with pallete swap and elemental addition would be cool.

have you tried playing the hardcore mode they added about a month ago or whenever? also they added some endgame content and endgame bosses that are meant to be fought with fully leveled characters in that same patch...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never felt like it was time-consuming, or that it hindered my gameplay experience at all after that initial learning curve.
You don't think that in order to just get somewhere, having to waste your time picking fucking berries or mushrooms on the map just to brew some potion just have some effect that actually lets you not stop every few minutes on a campfire that you of course have to chop or carry wood around for in your inventory that is of course absolutely tiny while of course also having to regularly eat and drink, which for the better recipes you of course need a device for that you you of course have to carry around, too, or spend time with cooking, crafting and brewing sessions before each tour is time-consuming?

Yes, you can improve the situation after playing for a longer time with better gear. But even then it is far from pleasant.
This has nothing to do with a learning curve or understanding anything - none of this is complicated in any way.

Or travelling.
Just look at this:

Other hints include letting yourself be killed on purpose (!!!!) in certain spots to be automatically revived where you actually want to be.
Which game with sensible design forces workarounds like these upon you just to not waste hours of your time?
If travelling in your game is a boring chore (and it is in Outward, at least the part where you really just go from A to B and don't explore) then just add quick travel, FFS. It's not like you couldn't spice it up with encounters that could happen on the way.
There aren't even more immersive options like caravans, etc. Morrowind was lightyears ahead of this, 20 years earlier.

.... in a game that is supposedly about dungeon delving, combat, improving your skills/gear and exploration.
????????????

When you actually do all of that crap, then the dungeon delving, combat and exploration is indeed pretty good. I mean, yes, combat is clunky but I do like that style of combat so whatever.

Jinn

Arcane
There aren't even more immersive options like caravans, etc. Morrowind was lightyears ahead of this, 20 years earlier.

I agree that these would have been good options to at least introduce a partial way into the game. I'm not going to defend the survival elements, or try to say they weren't or didn't feel like a waste of time for you. I'm just saying, they were hardly noticeable to me. As for lengthy travel times, planning your routes efficiently, and knowing what you want to take with you and where was part of the gameplay for me, and I mostly enjoyed it. The idea behind it isn't bad, it's just that it could have been executed much better. I'm the kind of player who doesn't mind walking for a long distance in a game though.

Again, I can see how these things could be annoying for you and others. For me, they only really started to hinder the experience for me near the end of the game.

JDR13

Arcane
I tried it for a few hours and didn't care for it. For me though, it wasn't the survival aspects that bothered me as much as the overall aesthetic and music. It's like they tried to combine a Western style RPG with a JRPG. I don't like the art style at all, and I really disliked the music which I think is borderline terrible.

That said, I still might give it another try in the future. I played it before any patches had been releleased, although I'm not sure if they'll make a difference to me.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
i couldnt even get into the bigger issues (like water, invisible walls), cuz Outward wouldnt let me jump in (what is somewhat miserly for a walking simulator)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enjoying this game except when I'm not... There are times where it seems like I die but I still have damage left and I have no idea why... I went to the desert and then was told to go back to the starting area's mountain and now it is snowing and I have no money to buy any warm clothes and not sure how to craft them...

Might start over now that I am more aware of what's happening and possibly choose a different faction. Really struggling getting any good weapons at the moment, I thought I would get hooked up after talking to my guy in the desert but was given jack shit.

Murk

Arcane
^ Certain foods/teas help with warmth, the warm boon (and potions that grant it), and you can always just craft a ton of bonfires on the way to warm up at them between long stretches of snow.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
^ Certain foods/teas help with warmth, the warm boon (and potions that grant it), and you can always just craft a ton of bonfires on the way to warm up at them between long stretches of snow.

Yeah I've been making gadberry jam but the game likes to fuck me by having some wolf run up to me from off screen after I've fought 2-3 bandits and have very little health :(

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game is on a 60% sale on Steam, and I bought it based on what I read over the last two pages and a YT review.

Jinn

Arcane
Embarrassing enough, I went looking through this thread for the person who didn't like the soundtrack, in order to negatively rate their post. I'd like that person to step forward now so I can openly disagree with them. This OST is magnificent.

I mean, come on.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

JDR13

Arcane
Embarrassing enough, I went looking through this thread for the person who didn't like the soundtrack, in order to negatively rate their post. I'd like that person to step forward now so I can openly disagree with them. This OST is magnificent.

I mean, come on.

It's no surprise that someone with a Weeaboo avatar would like that.

Murk

Arcane

I mean, come on.

It's no surprise that someone with a Weeaboo avatar would like that.

JDR13

Arcane

tenor.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/358265/OUTWARD_New_DLC_Pulls_No_Punches.php

OUTWARD New DLC Pulls No Punches

Larkspur, Calif. (Feb 17, 2020) - Deep Silver and Nine Dots Studio are excited to announce the long awaited first DLC pack, The Soroboreans is due for Spring 2020.

Launched on March 26, 2019 by the pocket-sized and dynamic Canadian developers Nine Dots Studio, Outward's popularity grew substantially but that wasn’t the end of this adventure. It was just the start. Allow yourself to be immersed in Aurai once again and see what’s new.

You have battled your way through the landscape, dedicated yourself to your favorite faction and died countless times. Now it’s time to grab your backpack, pick up where you left off, and venture forth in this new hard-hitting DLC.

Filled to the brim with content and new features that will add a breath of fresh air to your game, The Soroboreans DLC will get you worried about a lot more than starving to death, dehydration, losing your backpack and… well, everything else. Check out below for a tease of some new features, and stay tuned for more info including new developer diaries with a lot more detail coming soon.

Enchantments
What’s better than your favorite weapon by your side? What about your favorite weapon with a whole new effect on it? Weapons and Trinkets will now be able to be changed with the new enchanting system.

Corruption
Hungry, thirsty and cold. A terrible situation to be in, but one you often find yourself in while playing. If that wasn’t enough for you now your character can get corrupted. The level of corruption affects you in different ways and if you can’t shake it you could meet an untimely end. The world just got a whole lot scarier.

New Skills and Status Effects
Introducing new skills and status effects for your character. These will help with the new situations you find yourself in with the corruption affects. These add a new element to the game and can completely change your gameplay. Time to start a new character? Do you have enough Travel Rations for this one?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...its_Sold_And_Releases_Official_Soundtrack.php

OUTWARD Tops 600K Units Sold And Releases Official Soundtrack

20 February 2020 - Deep Silver and Nine Dots Studio announce that OUTWARD, the open world adventurer RPG has sold more than 600K copies worldwide.

Launched on March 26, 2019 by the highly creative and ambitious Canadian developers Nine Dots Studio, OUTWARD has cemented its place in gamers hearts from all over the world.

“OUTWARD’s level of success was unexpected and has opened a lot of doors. We can confidently commit to supporting the game and bringing more content to our players. We’re looking forward to their reactions once we unveil what’s coming next.” said Guillaume Boucher-Vidal, CEO of Nine Dots Studio

Furthermore due to popular demand, the enchanting and highly atmospheric OST (Official Soundtrack) for OUTWARD is now available to purchase!

The entire soundtrack was composed specifically for the game by Canadian musician Jean- François Racine, “I’ve been playing Piano since childhood, studied jazz piano in college and continued my musical adventure studying composition and interactive music at university.

These days I compose for a variety of projects from video games to classical music ensembles as wells as producing electronic music under the name of Frootz and Detoor”

“We were the first studio to trust Jean-François with a full game soundtrack and we don’t regret that decision one bit. Jean-François might be a newcomer, but I know he’s just getting started and we’re looking forward to his next work. His melodies helped define the game’s tone of threat and wonder. I believe that it will stick in players’ memories for a long time.” said Guillaume Boucher-Vidal, CEO of Nine Dots Studio

Purchase the OUTWARD OST here -

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1244560/Outward_Soundtrack/

GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/outward_ost?as=1649904300

Epic: https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/outward/home/soundtrack

You do remember where you left your backpack right?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom