Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i wonder how it sell so much. the co op? got lucky? there really is a big market and market gap for hardcore action RPG?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
i wonder how it sell so much. the co op? got lucky? there really is a big market and market gap for hardcore action RPG?
Outward is a promising RPG in its own right, with interesting survival mechanics complementing a (semi-)Open World focused on exploration but accompanied by a decent action-based combat system and some meaningful character customization/progression options --- plus competent world and level design in terms of the 4 zones and a handful of dungeons, graphics at a reasonable technical level and with a basic aesthetic sense, and a nifty soundtrack. The dearth of CRPGs in 2019 boosted Outward's sales beyond expectations, but it would have been a commercial success regardless, given the large audience for this subgenre of CRPGs.

3ln7rdV.jpg

V1LEiZQ.jpg

YZfa61l.jpg

cvfoZ3P.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has been heavily discounted several times. A lot of copies were sold at less than half price. I was tempted to get the PS4 version for €15 but decided against a purchase.

overly excitable young man

Meh. Game world feels empty and it's too much walking from one point to the other.
Quests are boring.

Combat doesn't make sense till you are overpowered.
Gameplay loop is boring: Gather things to sell

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Does anyone else love the exploration in this game. Like I feel like there were a ton of interesting and cool locations. For example the ziggurat, under those faces in the caves with the fire zombies, ice caves, the mine in the swamp, the hive, the lightning structure. Just a lot of varied and interesting places, although walking back and forth can get a bit much, they really were great. I'm in love with ghost pass.

Murk

Arcane
I'm hoping the DLC/expansion is a big one -- a map at least as big as the others, more stuff to do in the previous areas, more items/recipes, more skills, and hopefully more interactivity in general.

I liked the game a lot, but it more than others needs to be filled with things to do.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
What does everyone think if the game implemented some fast travel system similar to morrowind? It's probably the only fast travel system I actively enjoyed. And I feel it didn't take away from exploration because of how limited it was.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I would love to be able to play this but unfortunately I am one of the people with a hardware configuration that turns the game into a stuttering mess after a load screen. Completely unplayable and the experimental patch that's supposed to fix it has not been released on Gog yet. I could have used that new refund policy a couple of months ago.

:negative:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What does everyone think if the game implemented some fast travel system similar to morrowind? It's probably the only fast travel system I actively enjoyed. And I feel it didn't take away from exploration because of how limited it was.
Outward is too small to warrant a fast travel system, but I hope its commercial success leads to a sequel that is fully Open World on a scale similar to Morrowind, with the survival elements refined. Such a game should have a limited, setting-appropriate system of fast travel, in the style of Morrowind.

I would love to be able to play this but unfortunately I am one of the people with a hardware configuration that turns the game into a stuttering mess after a load screen. Completely unplayable and the experimental patch that's supposed to fix it has not been released on Gog yet. I could have used that new refund policy a couple of months ago.

:negative:
On the plus side, you have something to look forward to, when you buy a new computer. :M

Murk

Arcane
I think it is a bit tedious to have to go through 3 full maps, basically, if you want to travel from say Levant to Cierzo -- an in game, expensive perhaps, method would be cool for when you no longer care about saving silver.

I think sea or caravan based travel could do it. And it'd help to just add more "stuff" in general.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yes, it's not a very good game at all.

It starts off with a poor impression of dated presentation, which is compunded by dull 'gameplay'. Simply put it's a not very good budget game that got a pricetag, that I guess, tries to make people think that it's better than it is.

Frankly this is like Drakensang 10 or so years later, although IIRC Drakensang was c. $20 at release and was generally available for $10-15, and in Drakensang's case I enjoyed it MUCH more. It was a good is clunk/budget RPG, THIS is NOT.

I think that I played this for maybe 20-30h(not going to waste my time checking), always hoping for a glimmer of something truly good, only to finally just give up. TBH I wish that I had followed my original instincts and just refunded it, it's that bad, unoriginal, trite, dated, overbearing, pretentious POS that I've had the misfortune to 'play' in some time.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes, it's not a very good game at all.

It starts off with a poor impression of dated presentation, which is compunded by dull 'gameplay'. Simply put it's a not very good budget game that got a pricetag, that I guess, tries to make people think that it's better than it is.

Frankly this is like Drakensang 10 or so years later, although IIRC Drakensang was c. $20 at release and was generally available for $10-15, and in Drakensang's case I enjoyed it MUCH more. It was a good is clunk/budget RPG, THIS is NOT.

I think that I played this for maybe 20-30h(not going to waste my time checking), always hoping for a glimmer of something truly good, only to finally just give up. TBH I wish that I had followed my original instincts and just refunded it, it's that bad, unoriginal, trite, dated, overbearing, pretentious POS that I've had the misfortune to 'play' in some time.
You know only fluent and a few other guys were hyped for it, just cause of some "hardcore" features. But everything is pretty much shit, boring bland world,endless wlaking in empty environments, boring combat.They were seeing things that werent there , thats how desperate for a real, good ,hardcore rpg they are.

Yosharian

Arcane
My Steam review for this game:
Janky combat, poorly fleshed-out world, awful character customization, character and NPC faces that look like something out of a horror movie...

Yet there's something special about this game, I can't stop playing it.
I did stop playing it before I finished it so that should tell you something. Basically I found some of the gameplay loops way, way more compelling than the actual 'game'. Once I got bored of those loops, it got uninstalled

MrMarbles

Cipher
You know only fluent and a few other guys were hyped for it, just cause of some "hardcore" features. But everything is pretty much shit, boring bland world,endless wlaking in empty environments, boring combat.They were seeing things that werent there , thats how desperate for a real, good ,hardcore rpg they are.

Outward has something even for those like me who think crafting is shit and feels that survival elements just get in the way, mostly because of atmosphere and char systems. What makes it worth playing though is that it is actually original in some areas, especially how it handles magic systems and splitscreen coop. Not many recent rpg's can say that.

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont deny that there's some things, but tis very little, some people are getting enamored more with a concept, an idea of a game than the real game. Not many recent rpg can say that indeed, but how many recent rpg , almost nothing is getting released. In this sub genre latest one was underworld ascendant and before that skyrim. There's such a lack of quality people pick everything.Maybe some indie will save us someday, but thats not this one yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom