Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outward - open world RPG where you are an ordinary adventurer and survival is harsh

Murk

Arcane
It can be fun alone but it's way better with a friend, it helps to alleviate the "emptiness" quite a bit, but does make combat wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier.

MrMarbles

Cipher
RPG is one of the worst genres for coop, it's like trying to read a book simultaneously with someone else.

Yeah you're part right. Something like BG or AoD compares to reading a book and should be done alone, but stuff like Outward, D:OS or Dungeon Siege are like watching a fantasy movie and are fine in coop (modern AAA titles like DA3 or FO4 are like episodes of Grim with romance and should be avoided).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Didn't this have a big update recently that added more content?
There was an update late last year that added some "post-game" content, but the first DLC The Soroboreans has not yet been released, although some graphics have been posted:

c4659c_60434b5231c54770a4189ad4d1ee270a~mv2.gif
c4659c_97069d8c96134a5fb423871bc6fd3ce7~mv2.gif

c4659c_3da607a034c54c6f95be3650d8740319~mv2.gif
c4659c_967595882bf940bb948a2b06ef6fd745~mv2.gif

c4659c_6544e04e47804423a268bd1ba6add5d0~mv2.webp
c4659c_211037b30df84a99b5a50d32d6bb2d1f~mv2.webp

c4659c_054b47582cb54b9f806068ffb4bfb6dc~mv2.webp
c4659c_b282d3c74d614394a43217e0fc8c1b84~mv2.webp

JDR13

Arcane
Didn't this have a big update recently that added more content?
There was an update late last year that added some "post-game" content, but the first DLC The Soroboreans has not yet been released, although some graphics have been posted

Maybe I'll give this another try once the DLC is available. I played it at release and found it bland compared to other open-world RPGs. I assume the DLC is going to be an add-in to the main game not separate, correct?

SoupNazi

Got this yesterday as I was in charge of testing it out to see if we want to play it in coop with a few friends before everyone buys it. I'm pretty hooked, dunno what it is about this game, but it has a charming quality. Most of the criticism raised against it is pretty on point, but there's something that keeps me coming back to it to see more, to explore more, and somehow I don't mind the long treks with very little to do or happen (though there are sometimes some bandits etc on the road, not sure if that happened before). I hate games in which you can't jump, but I don't mind it here. I don't know. Something I can't quite put my finger on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DLC is coming June 16th:

You have battled your way through the landscape, dedicated yourself to your favourite faction and bounced back from defeat countless time. Allow yourself to be immersed in Aurai once again and see what’s coming in the new, hard hitting DLC for OUTWARD, “The Soroboreans”.

Filled to the brim with new content that will add a breath of fresh air to your game, “The Soroboreans” DLC will get you worried about a lot more than starving to death, dehydration, losing your backpack and… well everything else!

From New Skills, Enchantments, New weapon type (The Gauntlets) to terrifying Dungeons and blood thirsty creatures, you’re going to be busy for a while in the world of Aurai!
  • Corruption
    The level of corruption affects you in different ways and if you can’t shake it you could meet an untimely end. The world just got a whole lot scarier!
  • Enchantments
    Weapons, trinkets and armors will now be able to be changed with the new enchanting system!
  • New Skill Trees and Status Effects
    2 new skill trees (The Hex Mage and The Speedster) and reality twisting status effects for your character! That can completely change your gameplay!
  • New Weapon Type (The Gauntlets)
    Deliver a flurry of punches to your enemies and put them firmly back in their place!
  • Dungeons
    Great rewards await those who venture forth within the depths of these deadly, mysterious and interconnected dungeons!

Outward is a decent game that will probably be remembered as the stepping stone to a much improved sequel. They got the wilderness survival down, but they really need to populate the world with more reactive NPCs and factions. Along with just generally making the world feel more alive. Do that, make the game more polished and less janky. And you'll have an incredible RPG.

Efe

Erudite
not just populate but need actually moving/interacting npcs on outside world.
there are mmos out there with more lifelike maps.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Outward is a decent game that will probably be remembered as the stepping stone to a much improved sequel. They got the wilderness survival down, but they really need to populate the world with more reactive NPCs and factions. Along with just generally making the world feel more alive. Do that, make the game more polished and less janky. And you'll have an incredible RPG.
What is the sequel? I tried this but it was just too janky and it contains all the shit I hate like running around a virtual world, sorting shit in my inventory, talking to stupid NPCs. If it didn't put all that at the start I might have given it a chance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is it viable to play this game co-op for longer periods, full time? As in not just for bosses and limited areas like in Dark Souls?

Seems to me the game could be p. spergy, like you'd be spending an hour checking your inventory and playing with crafting while boring your co-op buddy out of his mind. Or can you separate and run around in different parts of the world independently? In some co-op games you gotta stick kindda together or you DC.

Murk

Arcane
Is it viable to play this game co-op for longer periods, full time? As in not just for bosses and limited areas like in Dark Souls?

Seems to me the game could be p. spergy, like you'd be spending an hour checking your inventory and playing with crafting while boring your co-op buddy out of his mind. Or can you separate and run around in different parts of the world independently? In some co-op games you gotta stick kindda together or you DC.

The answer is "kind of yes". It's not quite an MMO, and it's not quite something like terraria/minecraft so if you're looking for a ton of shit to do to keep you occupied, the answer is mostly no.

The main appeal is dungeon diving and explore->kill->loot with a buddy while talking smack. The one good thing is that you can do all quests properly in co-op, unlike in say a souls game that requires the summons to "go away" at segments. This is very much co-op the way Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 have it where-in the co-op player is basically "real".

edit:

Oh right, regarding inventory management -- there definitely is a bunch of that, but the one strong part is that you can afford to just not pick up trash items -- or convert them to base materials to use in other stuff.

One thing I genuinely enjoy about this game, more so than most other games with crafting, is that the way it's setup actively encourages you to 1) craft stuff and 2) actually use it.

Hoarding stuff isn't all that useful unless you're keeping a stockpile of reagents, but you keep finding more so generally you don't need to worry a whole lot.

I just wish the 'stash' chests were linked between cities so you don't get fucked having to move shit form starting house to the one you buy later.

TBH, I cheated and use console commands to just teleport between towns when moving that stuff.

Rafidur

Learned
The immense amount of walking really killed any enjoyment of this game for me. Hadn't discovered the speed hack feature of cheat engine, either.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He made me really want to play it...Then he touched on all the flaws. Just seems like lots of wasted potential.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes, wasted potential is pretty accurate. There's a lot of fun to be had in this game, but its flaws (such as the awful storytelling) leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Murk

Arcane
In game you can get quite a few speedups, and if you activate console commands, can just change your movement speed directly through that with a press of a button instead of using cheat engine.

F2_Player_and_Environment_Debug.png

Obviously this is a bandaid fix for what is a busted feature in game -- should have given caravan based fast travel (or ship based as well) since the framework is very much there. Or hell, make it wind magic since each game zone has a wind tower you have to activate. Or all the above.

Yosharian

Arcane
In game you can get quite a few speedups, and if you activate console commands, can just change your movement speed directly through that with a press of a button instead of using cheat engine.

Obviously this is a bandaid fix for what is a busted feature in game -- should have given caravan based fast travel (or ship based as well) since the framework is very much there. Or hell, make it wind magic since each game zone has a wind tower you have to activate. Or all the above.
I disagree, lack of fast travel is not the issue, the issue is that the game isn't complete enough to make open world exploration satisfying after the first initial steps.

Murk

Arcane

I disagree, lack of fast travel is not the issue, the issue is that the game isn't complete enough to make open world exploration satisfying after the first initial steps.

I think it's _one_ of various issues, though the emptiness is definitely another factor. It's why co-op is so much more enjoyable.

Though the reason I'm posting about the console etc. is because people above mentioned how much their enjoyment was sapped, so figured I'd post in case they want to try it with the option of fast travel + speed mods.

It's a tiny team though so I get some things had to be cut. My real hope is the DLC isn't just a new map + new skills, but that similar to NOTR for G2, it fills additional things into the previous areas. I don't even mean large quests (though that would be nice) but just more "life" with things happening -- particularly if it involves things moving/changing since that's one of the strengths of this game that sometimes shit happens without you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hey Hey people.

Sseth was suprisingly harsh on Outward. But I agree with pretty much everything he said about the game.

This video was very entertaining to watch, I even for a second considered playing this game for autists. But I figured out soon enough that this video is more fun than the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom