Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overland [XCOM lite + rogue]

Cadmus

Arcane
looks shit, that's not xcom lite, that's xcom lite lite the map is so small it's smaller than the screen. fuck this shit

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He lost me when he said squad based tactics to a wider audience. Actually he lost me way before that but I'm bored. Hate this new style of minimalist hipster graphics. Looks like Software Inc.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Is that like...a 10x10 grid? :lol:
grid.jpg

ColCol

Arcane
On the surface the game looks like decline and I haven't seen enough of it yet to have a solid opinion. Yet, there are a few interesting points.

1.Maps are small. Yet, the time spent on a single map in the videos did not usually exceed ten minutes. The game is mostly about resource gathering. You're stopping very quickly by an abandoned car or an empty building in order to grab something and get going. The tiny maps become filled with monsters and possibly other dangers (like fire) extremely quickly. This makes the maps increasingly dangerous to stay on and navigate around.

2. The game is fatal. Monsters keep generating on maps quickly and constantly. The game is not combat oriented and survivors often lack the means to combat monsters. finally, the survivors usually go down after two or three hits. I feel there is a greater chance of a mission going sour here than there is in X-com.

3. uses an 2-ap system. Yet, since time is a huge factor on maps it pushes the player into being thoughtful/careful with their team's actions (at least when compared to other 2 ap systems).

Overall these are some of the interesting things I noticed about the game.

ColCol

Arcane
So, I got in on the early beta and and I stand by most of my main points.

Have an image of a doomed journey. The last survivor is in the middle of the fire.
0010.png

ColCol

Arcane
Another doomed expedition. Maps don't ever start this crazy but as you progress through the game it is easy for them to reach this point very quickly. The main problem here is that two large corpses block the road exit. I made the mistake of eliminating these enemies before realizing that my car can't drive through the corpses. You can only exit the maps with the car if the road is obstruction free. I could not move the corpse and keep the enemies off my characters.
You can exit maps by just having your characters walk out...Yet, that means you are put into a difficult/dangerous map with the goal of acquiring a new car. A note should made that I have two companions in the car. The car also eventually exploded.

0017.png

ColCol

Arcane
So I started it, lol, brought this on IO like years ago. Have to say, despite like 3+ years, nothing has changed much. You can see the that the devs strive for simplicity, but at several points the game seems nonintuitive. Example, characters have to juggle items (off the ground) because they can only hold one item at a time (Unless they have a backpack, then two). Runs, and I say this only a short time in, do not seem to differ drastically (same char types-items-enemies). The only really thing this game offers is pretty graphics. Don't buy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom