Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Overload - Six-Degree-of-Freedom Shooter from the creators of Descent

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Leechmonger, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    It's gud

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    More like the past two decades.

My performance is flawless and smooth at 140 FPS capped, except for one thing: intermittent stutter, in the form of a hitch every 5-8 seconds. This only occurs in some Unity games for me and in no others, regardless of how graphically demanding they are.

That's where the part of your post I bolded comes in. There's a thing in computer science lingo called "garbage collection": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(computer_science)

That's what the developers are talking about. Unity's handling of garbage collection is absolutely fucking hideously bad. It worsens at higher frame rates and with better graphics settings. Query "Unity garbage collection stutter" in a search engine if you care to know more.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Makes sense. It's not wonder that Unity has a terrible time with well, anything.

^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    how did i miss the fucking kikestarter for this

now i gotta wait for a sale cuz i'm a cheapskate [​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's on sale right now.

^ Top  
  6. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
  7. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    oh wait it really is

i did find it weird how it was much cheaper on steam than on zog

well then

:takemymoney:

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    dis game

it's bretty

fucking

GUUUUUUUUUUUUD :yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Overload: Freespace, when ?

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Void Destroyer 2 is breddy gud in terms of flight mechanics. It's got no hard speed limit, very respectable and smooth 6doF controls, and the ability to "drift" and maneuver without automatic assistance.

I may start a thread about it at some point when I've played it for more than a few hours. I do know that the guy making it has coded it himself, and as a result it's packed with a surprising amount of features that all actually seem to work properly, including a tactical zoom-out overview in local space where you can drag selection boxes around ships in your fleet, issue basic orders, etc. Yet despite the RTS-like elements, the cockpit-centric and fighter-style gameplay is extremely solid also.

Yeah I know, it looks fucking weird with the outlines and cartoony shit, but actually you can turn both the outlines and the cartoon textures off, and the ships (of one faction, there are tons of ships) look like this. I made this to show a friend the other day:

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Played some overload.
    Eze but enjoyable. Did 2 missions.

^ Top  
  12. praetor Arcane

praetor
    why do half the ships look like potatoes with guns, a cockpit and an engine glued to it?

^ Top  
  13. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Fucking scorpions :argh:

This game is really much good. Very refreshing to finally play a shooter that is good, period, and not good for what it is.

I also like the oldschool secret levels that teleport you to BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD bullet hells that bash your face in instead of being quirky memes or just upgrade pinatas.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    Read the descriptions on the right hand side. They're built around asteroids.

Fun fact for Overload: The amount of spin your weapon imparts to enemy ships doesn't just depend on the weapon/enemy stats, but where you hit them relative to their centre of gravity. Hit them right on the edge for maximum effect, and keep hitting that same side. It's a bit trickier than just going for centre mass, but it'll disrupt their aim.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Yeah, I noticed this just today too. Was pretty amazed.

^ Top  
  16. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Wish I wasn't a poor bastard so I could afford that delicious KS-exclusive boxed copy :negative:

^ Top  
  17. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    Having finished Descent now I'm looking into Overload, and your review is much appreciated. I've tried the demo, and the first thing I've noticed were the smoother controls. This might actually be better played with mouse and keyboard? What are your thoughts on the auto-aim option? Is that really necessary if you are playing with a joystick?

^ Top  
  18. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    I've only ever played the games with KB/M, but AFAIK you could kick ass in Descent just fine using a joystick setup without any kind of auto-aim. There's several multiplayer legends (on the Overload Discord) who can wreck your shit using a joystick setup or even using only a keyboard. Mouse-aim helps for aiming more accurately with precision weapons such as the Driller/Vulcan, but overall joystick controls supposedly work nicely in Overload/Descent. I guess turning with the joystick also feels more natural when your maximum turn speed is limited.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Just finished Tethys Lab. The level design is just out of this world.

This is the best shooter of the last 10 years hands down, maybe even more. The levels, the enemy design and AI, the difficulty, the mechanics, the controls and responsiveness, it's all just way too fucking good, holy shit. My only two points of criticism would probably be that some of the guns could be a wee bit better (impulse, reflex and flak are very meh IMO, especially reflex which seems to only be good for trick-shooting secret switches) and that the maps could have slightly fewer but more involved secrets - an average of 15+ secrets per level where most of them are just "the ceiling opens, revealing bonus missiles" sorta turns into a lawnmowing sim where you fly around all the walls of every room to see if anything opens.

• Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    The reflex' bounce homing ability can be useful for clearing out enemies around corners or just scouting ahead, and the flak when upgraded to DX is incredibly useful for going full rip and tear up close because of how brutally that thing can stunlock everything. Impulse sadly isn't as useful later on, though it's probably the most energy-DPS efficient weapon. If only the overall energy drain for everything was a bit higher...

^ Top  
  21. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    Performance is weird with my GTX 970. The framerate tends to drop below 60 fps in certain spots, and I lose another 5-10 as soon as I shoot a flare, even with everything turned to low or off. The only thing that seems to improve the framerate at all is to disable screenspace reflections, which has barely any visual impact anyway.

I've tried the first few levels with both M&K and J&K. Nothing beats the precision of a mouse, but it's much :cool:er playing it with a joystick. There are also extensive options to adjust joystick controls. You can balance overall axis sensitivity with max turn rate, and also add the equivalent of mouse acceleration for quick turns (not sure if useful). I'm going to play through the campaign on Hot Shots and try to git gud with a joystick, then see if I'll have to switch back to mouse for Insane.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Finished. Great shit.

I liked how it stayed fresh to the end with the xeno-ops and alium worlds. Not being able to smack down Gabe was a bit of a disappointment though, and the final level was sorta meh, but it served as a nice closure to finally take that exit tunnel out.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Bit late to the party, but can I just point out how insane it is to build video games (or any program that depends on low latency) in a language with garbage collection?

Truly unity is really bad.

^ Top  
  24. HansDampf Prophet

HansDampf
    Finished Hot Shots, no quicksaves.
    Joystick controls are a challenge. I prefer higher sens for Y-axis than X-axis, otherwise I get problems with vertical tracking. Overall movement is a bigger issue for me than precise aiming, but I'm getting there. To compensate I'd invested in lots of upgrades that "track towards operators". Worked well enough in Hot Shots. Next I'm going to try Insane though. We'll see...
    I've also missed lots of secrets and upgrade points. There are too many secrets for my taste. Most of them have just one ammo pickup. I would have preferred fewer secrets but each one with more rewards.
    I don't remember where I've read this, but someone mentioned the enemies in this game have more character than human enemies in many other FPS, and I agree. Some bastards will take a few shots, then hide or try to attack from a different angle. Want to hunt them down, probably alerting more enemies in the process, or sit there getting paranoid? The goliath boss also had noticeably different movement than other enemies, strafing around pillars to take cover and shit. It was a fun fight. Though overall the bosses were easy.
    The last few levels, I didn't like as much. No reactors to blow up. And all the enemies I'd learned to love were gone, replaced by seemingly random purples. I've also failed the final escape twice because I didn't know exactly where to go, until I remembered this game has holo guides! That was the first time I've used one. :salute:
    Best level was Tethys Lab. That felt like the real culmination of all the regular reactor levels.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] I didn't expect the reactor to be that far down. On the way out I've also used a time bomb, not sure if it actually saves time, but at least it gave me more real reaction time to make it out of there.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    What I primarily disliked about the last levels, particularly the one with the final boss, was bullshit artificial difficulty that kept spawning bots all around you each time you pressed a button. It felt like a cycle of savescumming to me, where you charge up a node, find yourself surrounded by 4 inviculuses, get disintegrated in a split second, reload, try to push it from a slightly safer spot.

I remember when I got the level 3 keycard and feared I'd missed 3/4 of the secrets in that map because I had only 2 upgrade points collected at the time.

Turned out I'd actually missed 3/4 of the map itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)