Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Overload - Six-Degree-of-Freedom Shooter from the creators of Descent

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
this is why we cant have (many) nice things :negative:

Oh well, at least this means they go out on a high note instead of going for a prospective Overload 2: Popamole Edition

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's sad. I suppose 6DOF shooters aren't as marketable as retrobait shit like Ion Maiden.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Celebrating the one-year anniversary (more or less) of the release of Overload, we present a new collection of community-created levels. The creators receive half the proceeds from the sales of this DLC.

Features
  • Call of Charon, a new seven-level single-player mission.
  • Twelve new Challenge Mode levels.
  • Online leaderboard support for the new CM levels.
  • Levels created by members of the Overload community.

Ivan

Arcane
Bros, just started this. Fucking awesome, never played one of these type of games before. I was disoriented at first but level design is top notch. Glad to hear that there's more community content to look forward to.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm getting raped by monster closets in the final levels. But holy shit is the gameplay rock solid and tons of fun! Looking forward to the community maps now that the base campaign is through with.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Codex oldfriends liked this game, huh? I'm sold. I'll get the whole package on the current sale.

orcinator

Liturgist
That's sad. I suppose 6DOF shooters aren't as marketable as retrobait shit like Ion Maiden.

It looks very bland on the surface so I'm not surprised few people bought it.
Even when I played it often felt kinda tiring because of the similar looking space corridors and robot enemies despite the fact the gameplay was good.

catfood

AGAIN
Captur-de-ecran-din-2022-10-22-16-35-42.png

Finished this game.

My biggest gripe with this game is that the levels were all very samey. You're essentially running around the same space station over and over again with little variance, save for a few caverns and ZOMG weird alien levels. Compare this to something like Forsaken (which I'm not saying is necessarily better than Overload) where there is so much level variety: a volcano that is about to erupt, a thermonukular power station that is about to explode, a bank, a sunken submarine, an abandoned subway, a space station, an aztec temple, etc; all of them are memorable in their own right. In Overload the only standout level was Tehthys Lab, which is a masterpiece I admit. The alien levels were also memorable but not exactly for the right reasons... Also they all ended in the same predictable way: get to the final section, find the reactor, try to destroy it while getting swarmed by infinitely respawning enemies, then make your way to the escape chute before the reactor explodes in 30 seconds. It got old fast.

The enemies were also kinda meh. Look I know this was a low budget title, and that that is supposed to be the spiritual successor to Descent, but all of the enemies are essentially the same flying robot with different weapons and one or two attack patterns (range or ramming). Again, I kept thinking back to Forsaken where you have flying enemies of varying degrees of mobility, tanks, turrets, mines and mine layers, and even rival bikers which were the set pieces on certain levels. The enemies sound design in Forsake was also top notch in that each and every one of them had their own distinctive engine and weapon sounds so if you listened carefully you always knew what waited for you around the corner.

Speaking of which in Forsaken there was this cool feature where you could select a bike at the start of the game. The bike came with its own set of statistics (which in Overload are even more customizable due to the upgrade system obviously), but more importantly each biker had his own voice or personality like the gruff biker dude, the robot, the sexy chick, the nerdy scientist, and so on. Also you could choose a voice for the bike's computer. Voice clips would play when something happened on screen, like you were low on health or you picked a power-up. They added a lot of flavor to the game IMO. Here in Overload they have VA but they use it to tell some generic story that I didn't even pay much attention to if I'm being honest with you. I think going with the Forsaken route with regards to the VA would have made the game more flavorful. Also they fell prey to one of my most hated things in action games: they liked adding these long dialogue sections right in the middle of an action sequence. Bitch I'm a tryina avoid gettin tastefully gang raepd by five different robots, I ain't got no time to listen to your bullshit life story!

Other than that the game is good, especially the shooting which is top tier. The weapons are good and satisfying to use and the enemies explode really nicely. Good job to the devs. The upgrade system I'm sort of on the fence about. On the one hand the upgrades are cool and even allow for the change of behavior of a weapon, so no boring +20% to damage nonsense. Also it's nice that it incentivize exploration to look for the upgrade points. But on the other hand it means that once you've upgraded one energy and one normal primary weapon you probably won't use the others very much afterwards. With the secondary weapons it was different because ammo for them was limited so you had to use whatever was on hand.

The difficulty was also refreshingly challenging. I played on normal and I can't even remember how many times I died towards the end of the campaign lol.

Anyway a solid game overall. The biggest letdown were the samey levels but it was a budget title so what can you do... Sad to hear there won't be any sequel.

lightbane

Arcane
Welp, that's odd. Soys Row is a terrible mess in all aspects and Overload is supposed to be good, so something doesn't add up.

orcinator

Liturgist
these devs went to Volition to work on Soys Row LMAO
Wait, what?
Welp, that's odd. Soys Row is a terrible mess in all aspects and Overload is supposed to be good, so something doesn't add up.
Depends on what roles they had, if they were just coderslaves or level designers then they wouldn't be able to do anything about the gameplay.

orcinator

Liturgist
these devs went to Volition to work on Soys Row LMAO
Wait, what?
It says there in that screen capture that half the dev team went on to work at Volition.
I didn't read the middle. :retarded:

Looking at the mobygames profiles most if not all of them already did work for volition, either on Red Faction or the SR series itself so it's not a surprise they would go back (Though if you've read the lore you know volition laid off a lot of people when Agents of Mayhem Bombed). Jacques Hennequet has a lot of ___ director credits for volition games, is listed as a translator on Overload and Narrative Director on NuSaitnts (IMDB thinks this is important but I'm not sure how much work he did for the video game, though it's highly likely he had sex with the cat lady writer).

I assume nobody who was responsible for making Overload's gameplay good got into any sort of position that had control over NuSaints' gameplay so it's as shrimple as that.

Ash

Arcane
:negative:

Just finished the game. 8/10. They did a good job.

Drags at the end and I expected a little more, but this is one of few modern shooters worthy of 90s succession despite its modest budget and design flaws.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom