Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'll give it a try but I have the feeling the community will be terrible.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Overwatch will be on PC, consoles are something they can look at in the future.

Confirmed made for consoles. Also, it's 6on6 which, imo, is pretty shitty for a versus shooter.

Multi-headed Cow

It's not Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo which is something I guess, but I'm not really interested. Gameplay-wise I have a hard time imagining it'll be even half as good as TF2, and it also doesn't have the rich lore and fluff that TF2 does.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Lack of white male characters confirmed. Unlocked Achievement: Diversity.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What you mean it doesn't have rich lore. What about the pew pew girl. The Pixar kid thought she was cool, why can't you?

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Lack of white male characters confirmed. Unlocked Achievement: Diversity.
679365d55-1.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
So you have

5 characters immediately identifiable as women (2 white, 1 Indian, 1 SE Asian (?), and 1 Purple chick)
3 characters immediately identifiable as men (1 obvious Warcraft Dwarf, 1 Japanese, 1 guy all masked up)
2 robots (1 repurposed Diablo 3 monk [melee master race reporting in] and 1 Transformer
1 guy encased in armor (is a dude?)
1 Gorilla

By all accounts a hugely diverse cast. But I'm betting it won't take long for resident SJW's to point out that:

1) All of the women are sexualized, skin tight outfits, etc
2) All of the women are conventionally attractive
3) Everyone is ableist
4) None of the women's body types are diverse
5) The game is violent
6) Violence causes misogyny

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Blizzard makes Starcraft, where the all-mighty Queen of Blades has organic high-heels and bikini... I think they don't give a fuck.

This is typical modern Blizzard: a simplified take on an established formula.

What bothers me the most isn't the lack of originality - it's the lack of ambition.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was an interview with them posted in (I think) the WoW thread where they admitted as much: they have little in the way of ambition and just want to stick with safe formulas to generate money. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Fake/real edit: fuck it, I'm too lazy.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Who gives a fuck about ambition or originality. What bothers me is the lack of quality.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Quality sort of necessarily entails a modicum of either ambition or originality.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Maybe, maybe not. But even so, the other way around isn't true. Originality does not in itself entails quality. And since the problem is lack of quality the argument is moot.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This looks pretty awesome. I haven't played a competitive multiplayer FPS in years because they're all the fucking same. Something like this could be really fun and new.

Edit: except Natural Selection 2 and Rising Storm. Those games kickass. Also, I don't really understand the hate for a game that is leaning hard on diverse gameplay but whatever.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. But even so, the other way around isn't true. Originality does not in itself entails quality. And since the problem is lack of quality the argument is moot.
I would say ambition is a necessary condition for quality. Not sufficient, but necessary.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I disagree. This obsession with novelty and originality is how we got modern art in the first place.

Renegen

Arcane
Eh it doesn't look that bad, I just don't think it will involve any strategy of any kind and plus it's Blizztards and P2W so I have no hopes for this. If they actually make a decent team based competitive FPS, like Tribes or some of the better mods that were created, the game will be a big hit. But no one wants to do that, gotta get that casual market share.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All the heroes in TF2 are male. Valve is misogynist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom