Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Overwatch

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Hoaxmetal, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Didn't i just argue against this point a moment ago?

The fact it is different doesn't mean its good. And people don't have a problem with CoD games because they are all the same. They have a problem with them because they are all shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Looks like a very random cast of characters with situational skills duking it out, so I assume actual gameplay will be a complete clusterfuck. The graphics are top notch, design seems fairly generic despite being all over the place. I probably shouldn't say anything as I'm not a big fan of moba-inspired action games to begin with. Having particular roles in a team-based fps is fine, but I long for the day when these roles are dictated by setup/pick-ups again rather than selecting a specific character. Other than the fact that it's Blizzard, it just looks like on of those f2p games that could gather a large initial community and then be forgotten by the time a similar game gets released.

I remember playing Warcraft 2 and imagining what a future-gen sequel might be like, continuous conquest on a larger scale with battles that aren't about min-maxing and filled with interesting variables. At this point, I couldn't care less; I don't believe we'll see anything worthwhile from Blizzard.

^ Top  
  3. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dat Symmetra. Although a gorilla that never asked for this is cool too.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Agreed, the art direction here is pretty terrible, especially the clusterfuck of MMO styled multicoloured effects going off everywhere, just looks terrible.

^ Top  
  5. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Looks like it could be a lot of fun, even if IMBALANCE!!!1

Didn't watch cinematic trailer. But I'm happy to have something that isn't too serious, so the game can actually have interesting maps with castles and temples and platforms and shit, which it otherwise wouldn't because it would break teh immersion.

I also like Blizzard's new direction of making smaller games instead of some huge project.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Samus Aran is going to be so pissed when she finds out her suit's been stolen and painted blue.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    'Small' always translates into MP shit today.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ovplain Arcane

Ovplain
    The gameplay definitely looked fun, but it's just not my kind of game still.:S Ain't got the patience for squad-based multiplayer.

^ Top  
  9. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    What does that sort of game have to do with patience?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    And those numbers are increasing:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/
    Man, those devs sure are dumb.

^ Top  
  11. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Until they find out tons of money laundering schemes with this asian crap.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    There are some interesting numbers in the article you quoted

I didn't think the difference would be that huge considering that DOTA 2 is the most popular online game in Steam and Hearthstone is pretty big too,of course like they said in the article those are numbers from the pc market only so Hearthstone might be getting quite a few millions from the mobile versions

^ Top  
  13. abija Liturgist

abija
    Yeah, clean levels with toned down colors and vibrant ones for players and their skills, what could be more wrong. It's like the devs want you to easily distinguish what is going on. The outrage...

BTW, fast paced shooters with 6+ players ARE clusterfucks by default, nothing to do with MMOs. It's been this way since goold old Q3/UT days including the color of skins/projectiles which need to be easy to see.

^ Top  
  14. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    I thought it was obvious this is 99% cancelled Titan assets. Blizzard is slow. There's no way they just conjured up a whole prototype this advanced out of the blue, and there was zero implication they were working on anything big other than Titan in this area.

It's old hat, too. "Blockbuster game of huge scope repurposed into a disposable arena shooter" is starting to become a trope. First there was Nosgoth. Now this. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

I might have played a new Blizzard MMO but my interest level in this is approximately zero.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. abija Liturgist

abija
    Look at some Firefall concept art and ingame character avatars, hell of a coincidence...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Animu + CalArts style = two of the worst things that happened to western character design rolled into one legume studded log of shit.

^ Top  
  17. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    But in this case, if you actually want to play at a semi-competitive level, you need to know what's going on and what the characters you're facing might be up to. TF2 has a practically self-explanatory system in place, but this... For instance, what was the purpose of the rotating-balls character from MGS? Was that gameplay trailer the full extent of the character's specialization? You can't seriously be comparing this to UT/Quake.

^ Top  
  18. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    When Metzen said that this game makes him 'channel his inner 6 year old', i shuddered... I love TF2, but i really doubt blizzard would be able to copy it and keep the balance right, considering what's happened in WoW PVP for the last 5 years or so...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    At least unlike WoW they won't be able to trot out the "lol we don't care about pvp balance" excuse. Will be interesting to see what go-to excuse they use in a game that is exclusively PVP.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    I'll pass.

Also the word "Overwatch" is being used a lot lately in games and it reminds me of Space Hulk every single time I hear it.
    http://youtu.be/FAMv5gN7u94?t=43s

^ Top  
  21. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How many hats do they plan to make available at launch?

^ Top  
  22. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    It's sad how bad taste asians have, Dungeon Fighter is complete shit and Crossfire I believe is some bad CS P2W ripoff.

^ Top  
  23. abija Liturgist

abija
    Erm what? Excuse was already used :D It's the same bypass used by fighter games, you can pick anything hence hero balance is desirable but not mandatory.

^ Top  
  24. bloodlover Arcane

bloodlover
    And here I am still hoping for Wacraft 4 :rage:

^ Top  
  25. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)