Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Haven't met cheater in CS for at least a year, maybe sometimes a smurf or two.

abija

Prophet
Marketing doesn't work for more hardcore FPS games, either. Quake Champions was on E3 multiple times and it's hovering at ~1k players, probably dropping to the 800-1.2k player range within a few months and after that it's 2 years tops before all the new players quit, all the old ones go back to QL and Bethesda pulls the plug.

No, just NO. This shit drives me crazy. You cannot attribute the failure of QC to anything else but the absolutely SHIT devs (which implies even worse management).
If a game fails because of X, you shouldn't use it in arguments about Y.

Seriously, just read the patch notes from their latest "performance patch" that made all the shills and whiteknights wet their pants:
We are releasing a performance update this morning at 10:00 EST / 15:00 UTC that should address performance issues some players may have experienced since the December Update. Patch notes:

1. If you’re on LOW or MEDIUM settings in the main menu, the menu uses MEDIUM texture settings ( otherwise, it’s based on your settings ). This will help min spec players that reported very high memory usage and long load times.

2. In-game, texture quality for all things in the world will now obey the users texture settings ( ex: if you have your settings to LOW, then champions, weapons, the world itself, etc. should all use LOW texture quality ). This will help min spec players with 2 GB video cards, and overall performance.

To get the most benefit out of setting everything to LOW, you should set your Video Resolution to 720, and turn OFF Gore.

GrainWetski

Arcane
CSGO has no marketing at all, and since almost a year is not receiving any content of value. Valve should thank god every day for CSGO not dying yet. They don't deserve the community that their games have.
Yeah, everyone should be playing this gay tranny simulator instead because this garbage certainly "deserves" a community.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think people masturbate themselves too much in a sense of "casuals can't appreciate high skill fps". Yes they can. You shitters did, so can anyone. We just need a game with sufficient resources to make arena shooter that doesn't suffer from having no ranked, shit performance, not enough fun modes, maps etc... QC coulda been successful if bethesda didn't try to save money on it by outsourcing it to the vodka engine.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Even if a game were to check all of those boxes, it would be a failure.
I doubt QC would have been saved with a different engine. The normalfag audience just has no interest in a game like this, and they aren't the type of people to care about things like shit performance, modes or maps. If things like that were issues, Rainbow Six Siege wouldn't have been a success. The AFPS community has also fixed both the issues of modes and maps back in 90s via modding, but Bethesda is too fucking braindead to implement it.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Is there a character in Overwatch that's not a sexual deviant, retarded or 90% robot but somehow carries a relationship with a nurse that dresses like an angel?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
high skilled fps
I don't really agree with this statement. There's not a whole lot of skill involved in the shooting, as all you do is just spray head level. The rest is just map knowledge and knowing where to peek and spam your gadgets.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
So.... skill. That's what you do in a shooter.
I don't happen to believe that map knowledge is a skill, though. Positioning is a skill and aiming is a skill, but map knowledge isn't. All you do in R6S is corner peek and utilize map knowledge to prefire. There is little aiming skill involved within the game.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
high skilled fps
I don't really agree with this statement. There's not a whole lot of skill involved in the shooting, as all you do is just spray head level. The rest is just map knowledge and knowing where to peek and spam your gadgets.

Yea siege is more of a moba/tactical shooter then even ow but a large margin. It is almost entirely not a traditional shooter. Aiming in it is trivial. It is about flushing defense layer by later and eliminating angles until you kill or corner them in a small room basically. That is not to say that it is a bad game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think it's a bad game too, primarily due to poor balancing. Due to how headshots are a one hit kill with any gun and any armour type, the 3 speed operators with the smallest hitboxes that can ADADAD the fastest are always the best and the 2 more shots you can survive to the chest with 3 armour don't matter. This also means that high power, low ROF weapons are practically pointless and there isn't much of a place for them as everyone will move to whatever is the spammiest and has the highest ROF, which is inherently bad design.

sullynathan

Arcane
I don't happen to believe that map knowledge is a skill, though. Positioning is a skill and aiming is a skill, but map knowledge isn't. All you do in R6S is corner peek and utilize map knowledge to prefire. There is little aiming skill involved within the game.
I'm not seeing a high skill fps as an fps that relies only on aim

How much siege did you play?

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

It's not about ONLY aim just that positioning, dodging and aim have to be main skills which in siege they are not.

sullynathan

Arcane

It's not about ONLY aim just that positioning, dodging and aim have to be main skills which in siege they are not.
It's not an arena fps so dodging wouldn't matter. Aim and positioning does though.

abija

Prophet
I doubt QC would have been saved with a different engine. The normalfag audience just has no interest in a game like this, and they aren't the type of people to care about things like shit performance, modes or maps.
Overwatch deathmatch (and even quick play, because it's mostly played like tdm anyway) proves you are wrong. And that mode is a joke compared to what a well done afps would be.

If things like that were issues, Rainbow Six Siege wouldn't have been a success. The AFPS community has also fixed both the issues of modes and maps back in 90s via modding, but Bethesda is too fucking braindead to implement it.
You don't need many maps and having too many modes is usually a terrible thing at start. Performance wise, RS is a lot slower paced and also offers something for that performance loss, it's not just performance loss due to sheer incompetence (perfect example is comparing the audio of the 2 games). There's nothing in QC that makes you say: "it runs like shit but that cool new feature is worth it". Maps are small, number of players small, game runs like shit.

"Normalfag" audience doesn't USUALLY care about performance but they sure notice aberrant loading times that cut their playtime by 40-50%, or when the game constantly stutters, the terrible netcode and shitty servers. Also in a fast paced game performance affects everything you do (and bonus points to QC devs for not even being able to implement raw mouse input) and the game just FEELS wrong, which they notice.

The masses brought from last quakecon, also noticed retarded shit like very aggressive bots backfill, with the most terrible bots (can't move, try to shoot through walls and kill themselves with splash, extremely obvious perfect aim) I've seen in a game so far since early bot development in quake mods.

abija

Prophet
I doubt QC would have been saved with a different engine. The normalfag audience just has no interest in a game like this, and they aren't the type of people to care about things like shit performance, modes or maps.
Overwatch deathmatch (and even quick play, because it's mostly played like tdm anyway) proves you are wrong. And that mode is a joke compared to what a well done afps would be.

If things like that were issues, Rainbow Six Siege wouldn't have been a success. The AFPS community has also fixed both the issues of modes and maps back in 90s via modding, but Bethesda is too fucking braindead to implement it.
You don't need many maps and having too many modes is usually a terrible thing at start. Performance wise, RS is a lot slower paced and also offers something for that performance loss, it's not just performance loss due to sheer incompetence (perfect example is comparing the audio of the 2 games). There's nothing in QC that makes you say: "it runs like shit but that cool new feature is worth it". Maps are small, number of players small, game runs like shit.

"Normalfag" audience doesn't USUALLY care about performance but they sure notice aberrant loading times that cut their playtime by 40-50%, or when the game constantly stutters, the terrible netcode and shitty servers. Also in a fast paced game performance affects everything you do (and bonus points to QC devs for not even being able to implement raw mouse input) and the game just FEELS wrong, which they notice.

The masses brought from last quakecon, also noticed retarded shit like very aggressive bots backfill, with the most terrible bots (can't move, try to shoot through walls and kill themselves with splash, extremely obvious perfect aim) I've seen in a game so far since early bot development in quake mods.[/QUOTE]

I don't happen to believe that map knowledge is a skill, though. Positioning is a skill and aiming is a skill, but map knowledge isn't.
Well FUCK YOU. (strictly from an afps/quake point of view).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
20-25 hours I think. I got this terrible input lag bug which made me quit the game. Otherwise I would have kept playing for a longer period. I think I played back when the Canadian operators were added to the game.
Overwatch deathmatch
I was talking about AFPS in that quote. The normalfag audience cannot handle fast paced shooters where you have to utilize all your weapons to maximum potential to succeed. In OW you have a basic hitscan machine gun, some sort of splash damage weapon like a rocket launcher or grenade launcher or what is practically a railgun in the form of a revolver. You use only one of those at any given time depending on your hero selection, not all of them at once. You don't have LG, rockets and railgun all at once as you do in Quake, where you have to mix all of these to the fullest to be the best.

abija

Prophet
You need to define exactly what you talk about because 90% of typical deathmatch experience in an afps is 5-10s of shooting a weapon then respawning. The faster the game the more frequent the respawn.
And shit like "The normalfag audience cannot handle fast paced shooters where you have to utilize all your weapons to maximum potential to succeed." is absolutely retarded. It's like saying you need to be able to "recite dota item/ability tooltips on demand while being just woken up in the middle of the night" to succeed.

In pvp you just need to be better than your opponent (and preferably look/feel good doing it).

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Very small play time to say it was inherently bad.
This argument always comes up. How long do I have to spend to criticize a game?
This reminds me of that old MS paint comic from /v/ of someone shitting on a plate, the other guy asking why he's shitting on a plate, the plate shitter asking how he knows that it's shit because the other guy hasn't tasted it, he tastes it and says it's shit and then asks him to eat the full plate of shit because he only tasted a little bit and after he eats the full plate the plate shitter says that he wouldn't have eaten it if he didn't like it.

The issues of the game don't end there either, the fact that you have to either pay 30 bucks yearly or grind for like 250 hours to unlock all the characters is really bullshit for a game that you pay for. They made the original launch operators free apparently which is good and all, but DLC operators are probably meta anyway, so I don't see why it matters. I also think that there isn't much space for ideas left in the game because of how many operators there are now.

sullynathan

Arcane
The issues of the game don't end there either, the fact that you have to either pay 30 bucks yearly or grind for like 250 hours to unlock all the characters is really bullshit for a game that you pay for. They made the original launch operators free apparently which is good and all, but DLC operators are probably meta anyway, so I don't see why it matters. I also think that there isn't much space for ideas left in the game because of how many operators there are now.
Posts like these show you didn't play the game for long.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

It's not an arena fps so dodging wouldn't matter. Aim and positioning does though.

Positioning does. Aim in siege is 100% just holding angles. The general consensus is that people who think siege aim is not trivial can't aim. People are either stationary or move at snail pace and die to 1 hs, all while being in close quarters.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Positioning does. Aim in siege is 100% just holding angles. The general consensus is that people who think siege aim is not trivial can't aim.
Where does this consensus come from?

Talking to very good players on discord for example? Asking streamers in chat? FPS gaming is in such draught right now that all we do in discord is discuss games instead of playing them. I dunno why you can't be objective about it. I am not shitting on the game. It just simply isn't about aim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom