Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
TFW you have power generation trouble, finally find a geyser... and it's a CO2 geyser
borealesad.jpg

Build an airlock and slam the door. We don't speak of that part of the map.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Pics like the above always make me feel like uninstalling because I know I will never be capable of bothering enough to establish this kind of... of... ordnung.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Pics like the above always make me feel like uninstalling because I know I will never be capable of bothering enough to establish this kind of... of... ordnung.

I get what you mean. Got to building the piping systems and the little gremlins got dirty water all over the damn place and the toilets and showers still don't work right together. Back to the drawing board! This game needs a level of autism to develop the base properly and pray you aren't OCD.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You only need simplest piping and self-sufficient wash system with zero water waste. Actually dupes piss and shit a bit more so water will be only growing.
Water reservoir=>Toilet\Sink\Shower=>polluted water reservoir=>Water sieve=>initial wate rreservoir. You only need some initial water input to circulate and then you can forget it and deconstruct outhouses.

7h30n

Augur
Here's my colony on cycle 57. I already have 2 dead duplicants because I refused to build the Microbe Musher.

7A96574460B8202F64C7FBDF4626D32BAEF2A92C

Hellraiser

Arcane
Here's my colony on cycle 57. I already have 2 dead duplicants because I refused to build the Microbe Musher.

7A96574460B8202F64C7FBDF4626D32BAEF2A92C

Should have gotten more mealwood planter boxes faster. TBH I find the microbemusher useless, it is too fucking slow and takes precious dupehours away from important things like building ladders or getting scalded by newly discovered geothermal features.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
1. Power plants area should be either at the side of your base or on the top. Because with time it will generate SHITLOAD of heat, especially batteries. And heat goes up, cooking your base.
2. Do not use airlocks to prevent gas leaks, use waterlocks. My base have simplest water locks. Just build tiles and then build bottle pitcher and then turn autbottle on and priority to 6. Dupes will fill it. Once water will reach 1000+1 kg whole area will be iwaterlocked. Do not use polluted water - it emits polluted oxygen.
3. hatches do not suffer from overcrowding as long as the ROOM meets requirement. You can place 8 of them in 1 tile and they will be fine but I tink minimum is 4 - 2 for grooming station, 1 for critter dropoff and one for critter feeder. This way dupes won't waste time calling for them.
4. Want food? Mushrooms are one of the best early foods. Just dig to slime and shrooms.
5. Use printer pod for great hall. Morale boost is extremely powerful
6. Pips plant arbor trees in the wild. 6 wild arbor trees produce HUGE amount of wood. Wood could be converted to ethanol to fuel petroleum generators. Just be ready to deal with lots of polluted water and polluted dirt.
7. 3-4 Slicksters can eat ALL CO2 in your base. They are insatiable.
8. To conserve power use automation with smart batteries. Link s.Battery to any generator and set activation to 10-15%. It will save huge amount of resources.

I'm somewhere around 140-ish cycles into my game and I'm a bit mixed on my feelings. On the major pluses side, it does the "Short term, mid-term, long term" goals/disasters/issues thing I always want from city/base builders and rarely get. Suddenly realizing that your infinite supply of algae has run out an unknown number of days ago and scrambling to get slime refining online, flooding your base with slimelung, is nice. On the major minuses side, the more I play of it the more I'm convinced you hit a bottleneck of base optimization. I'm pushing somewhere around 12 dupes and regular base maintenance/upkeep takes up a lot of their work every day which means less leisurely fucking around, which means a more optimized base would've made everything run more smoothly. I like that to a degree, but it does seem to get more and more important in ONI the more I play.

Overall though, still having fun even though it takes my dupes ages to get shit done now, even trying to optimize and tweak task priorities. It's good that I built the nice hospital that I did, since it helped nip the slimelung in the bud, and I nearly burnt a dupe to death digging down into the oil biome because I want petroleum so I can get plastics. Hatch ranching seems really fucking good, got a steady supply of coal so I'm not yet feeling the need for different sources of power. Do really fucking want plastic for faster ladders and potentially the series of tubes, though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
That is the point. At first your dupes running around and doing things, like using hamster wheel generator. Then you build coal gens, then add smart batterry so coal gens require less refiling, freeing more time for dupes. Then add farms, then add cooling installation to supply hydroponic farms with water of appropriate temp.
It is like a stair. You reach some limit and have to take action to optimize to get to make the next step.
For example, I made a metal refinery with polluted water supply from my nat. gas. generators. But polluted water would overheat and if used in water sieve will overheat water there. So then I dig for geyser that produces 30C polluted water and link it with metal refinery. So output will be much cooler and then link it to sieve and to cooling installation. I provides me withsteady supply of steel.
Or establish a arbor tree farm with several wild pips. Then adding ethanol distillery to produce ethanol for Petroleum generator and tons of polluted dirt and CO2.
Then use CO2 to feed slicksters who convert it to oil. And polluted dit to feed crabs and hatches\compost to dirt.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Anyone know of a fast way of heating or cooling debris? I made a bleach stone to liquid chlorine refinery (wanted to make a gassy moo ranch, no chlorine vent around), but it relied on dropping bleach stone onto a 1000C hot raw obsidian tile that surrounded a buried volcano. It took at least an hour of not two for the one ton of bleach stone to heat it up to 670C after which it nicely exploded into chlorine, instantly heating to 1000C.

While chlorine refinement might not be the most practical of industrial processes a practical debris heat exchanger could be used to build a regolith power plant or efficient ice refineries on an ice planetoid.

Speaking of regolith, has anyone found any use for the damn thing other than feeding voles and filtration? Deodorizer->clay->food for hatches is good and all but there's only so much polluted O2 you can find or create for clay production.

I have no fucking idea how I managed it but I killed all my hatches. I'm ranching sunbugs and pips like an absolute fiend but somehow all my hatches, the easiest fucking things to keep around, are all gone. Can't figure it out. Wasn't like they were overpopulated and all died at once, I was feeding them clay which they like, they weren't overcrowded, they were tamed and groomed, they room wasn't too hot or cold. Just poof, vanished. Getting petroleum online so it's not like coal will completely kill me, but it still bugs me that I don't know what the fuck happened to them since at one point I had a lot, 6+ all ranched and shitting out eggs happily.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Unrefrigerated food will rot. But I prefer to keep food in carbon dioxide for sterility - food never rots there and you don't have to waste power on refrigenrators, which, ironically, not preventing food rot.
Plus if you grab a lot of dupes they will eat A LOT, so you have to pause and build your farms first.

Heat management is finally doing me in. I was able to happily noodle along until my base gradually, oh so gradually, heated up to the point I can't support farming. Even making a new farm to try to grow sleet wheat I can't figure out how to cool an insulated farm down enough with wheezeworts and other methods to the point to support sleet wheat, which was just intended as a temporary solution until I figured out how to cool my actual base down. Tried the actual cooling machinery but that runs so hot I can't figure out how to handle that without it immediately exploding too. I'll probably get to it eventually, but I'm not grokking it well at all.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for about 50 cycles and got bored. Seems like the only real dangers are super slow burn long term dangers, like you designed your whole base wrong and now you can't manage heat (see above post). Also there appear to be no short term rewards, no moments of satisfaction, just "Yep, your guys are still alive and miserable". Not sure what is supposed to be motivating me to keep going.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played for about 50 cycles and got bored. Seems like the only real dangers are super slow burn long term dangers, like you designed your whole base wrong and now you can't manage heat (see above post). Also there appear to be no short term rewards, no moments of satisfaction, just "Yep, your guys are still alive and miserable". Not sure what is supposed to be motivating me to keep going.
I felt kind of the same when I played it a long time ago.
I did fairly well until some long-term problem hit that really didn't announce itself. It was just something I would have had to know about from the get-go.
Though to me that seemed more of a UI problem (the game really could have told me that some place was slowly building up X and it would become a problem).

But yeah, in direct comparison to RimWorld, I just find RimWorld better as it gives you loads of goals, missions, etc. both short- and long-term including rewards for either.
That may just be the result of you being completely on your own in Oxygen, while in RimWorld there's a whole world to interact with.

Not saying I didn't like Oxygen when I played it, but I certainly don't feel the need to go back to it like I do with RimWorld every now and then.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Heat management is finally doing me in. I was able to happily noodle along until my base gradually, oh so gradually, heated up to the point I can't support farming. Even making a new farm to try to grow sleet wheat I can't figure out how to cool an insulated farm down enough with wheezeworts and other methods to the point to support sleet wheat, which was just intended as a temporary solution until I figured out how to cool my actual base down. Tried the actual cooling machinery but that runs so hot I can't figure out how to handle that without it immediately exploding too. I'll probably get to it eventually, but I'm not grokking it well at all.
Steam turbine deletes heat. So steam turbine linked to aquatuner to boil water with some petroleum or crude oil circulating and cooling turbine in turn.

Steam turbine deletes heat. So steam turbine linked to aquatuner to boil water with some petroleum or crude oil circulating and cooling turbine in turn.
I'll try figuring that out and setting it up, then. Aquatuner cooling water in the base (Which then gets circulated around the base to cool it down marginally) and pumping out insane heat to generate steam surrounding it, figure out the specifics on how steam turbines work, and then pump crude oil past the aquatuner in radiant pipes to cool it. Only difficulty I could see is then trying to cool the crude oil back down, assuming it picks up enough heat from the aquatuner. Dunno, it'll be a fair amount of fucking around.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No. You make a loop of crude oil or petroleum. It goes to aquatuner, then cools something, like, water in reservoir or turbine, then it goes back to aquatuner to be cooled down again. Aquatuner releases huge amounts of heat to boil water to steam which is used by steam turbine which turns steam into a water. Water from steam turbine goes to aquatuner chamber to beturned into steam again. the circle of cooling is complete.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can launch rocket. See? That's a short term goal.

Frankly when they made these slime lungs much less dangerous, and they added "care packages" they made it MUCH less dangerous, and survival no longer depends on a hair by using short term solution that prevents massive problems.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think care packages are alright. I always thought it was weird that the dupe printer would just keep giving you new dupes when you never needed more etc., and the packages are decently randomised so as to not let you rely on them too much.

Diseases are such a non-issue right now though, idk what they were thinking when they changed them. Stress management is also super easy right now in my experience, which coupled with nerfed diseases has made me skip showers and toilets in every game I tried so far - outhouses and sinks is all you need, my good dupes.

I remember one of the first big overhaul patches that completely rebalanced food and made it so that your dupes would accumulate stress when eating meal lice, so you'd have to diversify your fud production to a p. big degree. That was roight propa. Now I just make 30 farm plots with mealwood and call it a day because why try harder?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Showers and toilets have much lower maintenance though so you save dupe time for the more important things in running a space ant farm. Things like getting stuck on the surface because regolith from falling space rocks buried the way back to the airlock, again.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FFwrLht.png
This is one of more ways how to screw stuff up. I mean cool stuff down. Number of scalding damage exceeded 20 when I modified it and repaired it. Also 90C degrees rain is amazing.

There are more ways. For example:
Take CO2 and use it to cool stuff.
wheezworts
Pretend the problem doesn't exist, open cave with natural growth of wheezworts, and live low energy eco life to ensure wheezwort cave will not melt.
Try to find some high tech device from long lost civilization that would freeze THE WHOLE ASTEROID SOLID. When everything would be under ice, there would be no heat problems.

No. You make a loop of crude oil or petroleum. It goes to aquatuner, then cools something, like, water in reservoir or turbine, then it goes back to aquatuner to be cooled down again. Aquatuner releases huge amounts of heat to boil water to steam which is used by steam turbine which turns steam into a water. Water from steam turbine goes to aquatuner chamber to beturned into steam again. the circle of cooling is complete.
I'll have to fuck around with that at some point. It'll be a pretty involved project but my emergency "Oh shit it's too hot to farm" secondary farm is easing the immediate crisis so I should theoretically have the time for a more involved project like that. I also, probably, need to just make an exosuit airlock at the border of my regular base. I've got my hellish foundry down in the bowels of the asteroid for petroleum production, metal refining, plastic production, etc which is fine and dandy except my previous exosuit station for dealing with the oil biome is now hot enough that the dupes get scalded after they take the suit off and start climbing back up. Started out alright but some water spillage led to super hot steam which made the whole endeavor more of a misery. That's low priority though since a bit of scalding is good for you, builds character.

Try to find some high tech device from long lost civilization that would freeze THE WHOLE ASTEROID SOLID. When everything would be under ice, there would be no heat problems.
I've actually got 2 of those running non-stop and it's still not enough for my insatiable demand for cooling. To be fair I think my asteroid probably randomly generated a bit on the hot side, I've got a fuckton of slime biomes which tend to lean toasty and absolutely no forest biomes for example. Not a single scrap of aluminum on the entire thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom