Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter PA scavenging/crafting system

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
I make post-apocalyptic campaign, yes?
Any Body know good scavenging/scrounging system + crafting/construction system?

I consider use of Shadowrun systemé for basic, but need things to add to give greater possibilty and atmosphere of loneliness and world of rust.

You give suggestiuon now?

nikolokolus

Arcane
A scrounging system? I can't recall ever seeing one.

Just create some random tables, where most of the stuff players find is useless junk. Make clean water and edible food scarce and make most of the NPCs cannibals.

Watch "The Road" if you need more specifics.

Baron

Arcane
I remember from one of my own post apocalyptic campaigns that a length of wood, 3 bungee cords and a set of golf clubs make a ballista.

Of course, the length of wood on its own will make a sword.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
That's some really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really good advice folks.

So, right now I'm considering using a combination of the grand unified random junk table (d1000 for junk), combined with some kind of abstract resource system. Think of categories like chemical compounds, mechanical items, electronic items etc. This way you would both get specific item, sat like (rolls d1000) - a badly outdated map of the world, and something like "2 units of construction materials" - used to build rudimentary items sucha as sandbags, baseball bats, knives, shovels etc.

As far as skills, maybe it is a case of one simple search skill, or maybe this will be separated into abasic search skill for those specific items, and one more crafting related search skill (though im not super satisfied with either).

The crafting system would have to be composed of different skills - maybe something along the lines of Shadowruns crafting system, but perhaps more specialized - aka one craftin skill for melee weapons, firearms, beamweapons, biotech and so on. The risk about this kind of system is the skill bloat.

What say you codex? Any suggestions?

Ninjerk

Arcane
That's some really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really good advice folks.

So, right now I'm considering using a combination of the grand unified random junk table (d1000 for junk), combined with some kind of abstract resource system. Think of categories like chemical compounds, mechanical items, electronic items etc. This way you would both get specific item, sat like (rolls d1000) - a badly outdated map of the world, and something like "2 units of construction materials" - used to build rudimentary items sucha as sandbags, baseball bats, knives, shovels etc.

As far as skills, maybe it is a case of one simple search skill, or maybe this will be separated into abasic search skill for those specific items, and one more crafting related search skill (though im not super satisfied with either).

The crafting system would have to be composed of different skills - maybe something along the lines of Shadowruns crafting system, but perhaps more specialized - aka one craftin skill for melee weapons, firearms, beamweapons, biotech and so on. The risk about this kind of system is the skill bloat.

What say you codex? Any suggestions?
Seriously download FOnline and give it a look. There's a somewhat deterministic factor in which you would enter a "city map" tile if you're looking for scrap metal, circuit boards, a resource literally called "junk," I think you could also find threads/twine with which you could craft ropes, and if you went to generic "desert map" tiles you could get wood and fruit to make hooch which you could drink or turn into molotovs. There was also mountain tiles I think for finding flint and ore for making basic weapons and tools (flint axes for wood chopping, sturdier metal ones that wouldn't randomly break on trees, sledgehammers, etc).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could give the game neoscavenger a try for some good scavenging and crafting.

However, it would be way too fiddly for pnp. You want something much more abstract.

I would just assume junk has enough useful stuff to make basic things, with maybe some skill checks to reduce junk cost. For more advanced constructions, I roll to see if they find what they're looking for. IE, I need a working battery to build a flashlight. Roll d20 for each "pile" of junk, 15+ finds a battery.

Something like that.

Khor1255

Arcane
I think you already got some ok advice (although cursory). I tend to make random tables for such things that correspond to different areas of my game world (you can even map concentrations of 'junk' because this will not only provide resources but cover and even 'habitat'. In addition to random tables of course a lot of map placed items is a good idea because you can place these in logical and 'goal oriented' locations. Also goodies usually kept on NPCs and even creatures if you have them.

Tables are good because once you have them created you only need to tweak the percent of appearance (randomness) and make sure you saturate your lists with semi usable and even junk or not readily noticeably broken stuff. For that last bit I find it best to use a percentage of 'newness' first then a percentage of condition. Newness refers to how long the item has laid in disrepair (for some stuff like petroleum powered vehicles or battery powered items this can be crucial to determining if it even works right away).

I think if it is your game the best way to do it is to design the tables yourself so you can really give it a game world friendly touch. I remember in a Medieval campaign even going into a special kind of mortar used on some walls and a noted weapon-smith's creations appearing very rarely. In a post apoc game I had new weapons, vehicles and armor created after the apocalyptic event that reflected the specific needs of this disaster.

I always had fun with crap like that. Sometimes more fun than actually DMing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom