Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pantheon - (Brad "EQ" McQuaid's new MMO)

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't really expect anything great from MMO's anymore. I don't think the environment exists for a decent MMO to be developed and also be played by people worth interacting with. Half the time interacting with people in these MMO's is worse than playing a solo game. Sure there is the trolling game but that gets boring if you do it too much.

Even if a MMO with the perfect design and game play for my tastes was released I doubt it would be fun to play for long.. unless it happened to be not that popular. But realistically, what game company is going to make a niche MMO that is decent.

I don't think SoE would take him up on this game at all. In fact, he probably already tried to pitch it, since he was back at SoE in 2013, on the EQ1 team (probably doing some very minor, token work - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/12-years-i-feel-so-old.4319/)

You can't possibly take this guy seriously. He's talking about making a full-fledged MMO with part-time unpaid outsourced developers on Unity. Must be pretty desperate for some cash...

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's possible for unpaid developers to make a mmo game.

Although I feel sorry for any developer working on this project for free and expecting to earn something from it at some point. Brad is gonna take all their work and monetize it. The best a majority of the developers can hope for is a credit somewhere or a thank you letter.

Which isn't a bad thing in of itself, but game developers always seem to expect great success then are "surprised" when it doesn't come and a company lays off all their workers. I'm sure more experienced game developers already know this from experience, but the type of developers who are going to work on Brad's project are probably inexperienced. If they are expecting money at some point they better be getting prepared for their first ass reaming in the industry.

Of course this is just my peanut gallery suspicions, If anybody knows what the unpaid developer "contracts" look like (if they exist) it might make for an interesting read. I'm imagining something like Cleve's contract from the "Why Did Sirtech go Bankrupt" thread.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I don't think SoE would take him up on this game at all. In fact, he probably already tried to pitch it, since he was back at SoE in 2013, on the EQ1 team (probably doing some very minor, token work - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/12-years-i-feel-so-old.4319/)

Reason why I disagree is if you look into SOE's line up of titles they are basically all shit and they really can't come up with something new and original look at H1Z1. I am curious to know what type of work he did for EQ 1. SOE is really counting on EQ Next to be the holy grail and they are getting a ton of retards to build it for them with Landmark and help fund it too which might entice people to sign up for their sub plan. Other then EQ Next they have nothing and so their Sub plan is useless except to the die htards.

You can't possibly take this guy seriously. He's talking about making a full-fledged MMO with part-time unpaid outsourced developers on Unity. Must be pretty desperate for some cash...

Yea, I can take that seriously, as it can work since this was immensly common in Silicon Valley where young talent would work for a start up and hope to cash out "if" it gets big. Paypal, Drop box, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, and even Square are just the few out of hundreds that range widely in success. I just wouldn't expect this to be done for the next decade and it can fall apart, but it happens. I have respect for him as he does try to change things up, but the biggest problem is that I think he is swimming against the current trend which is heading towards more sandbox like elements. Archeage and Black Desert are gaining a lot of traction with the west and CCP is tryin to capitalize on it with their Project Legion IP and so I have to wonder if a title that is going to possibly be similar to EQ 1 & Vanguard is going to be successful.

He is desperate for cash, as I already said he lost all his monies from EQ 1's sale to SOE in the stock market, most likely the 09 one not sure.

Azazel

Arbiter
I'm surprised this thread has fallen to the wayside, given that this trainwreck just keeps on delivering quality amusement. I mean, hells bells, he's got a family of evangelical cultists working as his "dev team" now. :incline:

Xenich

Cipher
I'm surprised this thread has fallen to the wayside, given that this trainwreck just keeps on delivering quality amusement. I mean, hells bells, he's got a family of evangelical cultists working as his "dev team" now. :incline:

Well... I am kind of surprised to be honest. They released some videos on the progress of the game and it seems to be moving along. /shrug

Recent Round table discussion:
https://soundcloud.com/pantheon-rotf/developer_roundtable_1-18-15

November update:

October update:

I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks this is going to end badly... but then part of me thinks... hey... I would take shit from this guy over the complete shit out there now. I mean, I look back at how much I complained and bitched about Vanguard on release, but if I knew that we would end up where we are in MMOs I would have take its crappy problem based release and history any day over the MMOs today. So while I am EXTREMELY skeptical of this game... I can only root for it quietly in hopes that it will prove me wrong and at least end up producing a niche MMO that is free of all the fucktard features of today. The forums look promising though, at least... as it concerns the ideas and type of people there brainstorming. So far, I see no "I play the game of my fun and having to do XYZ is not fun, waaaahhhh bitch moan...", though I would imagine as the game goes on, eventually the fucktards will come out.

I will say one thing. I think the music is fantastic.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well... I am kind of surprised to be honest. They released some videos on the progress of the game and it seems to be moving along. /shrug

Recent Round table discussion:
https://soundcloud.com/pantheon-rotf/developer_roundtable_1-18-15

November update:

October update:

I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks this is going to end badly... but then part of me thinks... hey... I would take shit from this guy over the complete shit out there now. I mean, I look back at how much I complained and bitched about Vanguard on release, but if I knew that we would end up where we are in MMOs I would have take its crappy problem based release and history any day over the MMOs today. So while I am EXTREMELY skeptical of this game... I can only root for it quietly in hopes that it will prove me wrong and at least end up producing a niche MMO that is free of all the fucktard features of today. The forums look promising though, at least... as it concerns the ideas and type of people there brainstorming. So far, I see no "I play the game of my fun and having to do XYZ is not fun, waaaahhhh bitch moan...", though I would imagine as the game goes on, eventually the fucktards will come out.

I will say one thing. I think the music is fantastic.

Fantastic music indeed , the environments looks good too although graphically its very primitive , inferior to vanguard. No seriously i have seen students doing things 100X better.But ill take a game with very good core mechanisms over a pretty korean one with ultra realistic hair and bouncing boobs.I remember how unfinsihed vanguard was, the fondation were good but plenty of locations completely empty at release, game breaking bugs to boot , lot of frustration.I'd play a classic challenging mmo again, but thats not going to happen and i wont get younger either.

Xenich

Cipher
Fantastic music indeed , the environments looks good too although graphically its very primitive , inferior to vanguard. No seriously i have seen students doing things 100X better.But ill take a game with very good core mechanisms over a pretty korean one with ultra realistic hair and bouncing boobs.I remember how unfinsihed vanguard was, the fondation were good but plenty of locations completely empty at release, game breaking bugs to boot , lot of frustration.I'd play a classic challenging mmo again, but thats not going to happen and i wont get younger either.

Yeah, it does look a little behind the time, but I think it will still look good when it is finished after all the additional elements are layered over the terrain and models/animations get tweaking. In the end, all that matters is that a functional game is produced that is the vision of "old school" gaming. After having years of garbage out there, I can accept some short comings in the "bling" areas in order to obtain solid game play aspects. As for time, it isn't that bad. You don't have to be in a guild that is constantly after the server first. A small guild that has the numbers which moves at its own pace and time restrictions is quite capable and to be honest more enjoyable than the contested race guilds. Not to mention, us old guys are getting to the age where the kids are demanding less time and the the spouse isn't as demanding for attention as they were when you were younger.

Xenich

Cipher
Speaking of the point made about visuals being dated:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1553/pantheon-trajectory-2015

Hi all,

Something I’ve observed after making MMOs for well over a decade is the Pendulum. It’s the tendency for an issue or aspect of the game to switch from one extreme to the other. People (including me, although I try to be aware of it and avoid it) seem to react to a problem or issue to the extreme. If there is an issue that’s problematic, the tendency seems to be to push the pendulum to the opposite extreme. This usually just creates a new problem. So what I’ve learned over the years is the middle ground is usually where you want to be. It’s all about balance.

All that said, sometimes you nudge the Pendulum gently depending on what’s going on and where you are at in a project. In the last 6 months, I feel we’ve had to prove that we are making a real game, that Pantheon is *not* vaporware. Because of that, we’ve been focused a little more on quantity over quality. A huge emphasis has been on actual MMO client/server gameplay. That’s not to say that lore hasn’t been written, or zones haven’t been made – they certainly have. But let’s be honest: graphically, visually, Pantheon is not where it needs to be. You know that, and so do we.

The plan for 2015 is about gently nudging the Pendulum the other way, more so towards quality and the visuals. We need to attract game news sites and get more coverage and get more people excited about the game. We also need to attract investors. Quite simply, we need to raise the bar.

So what does this really mean specifically to you all who read our site and FB, etc.? Honestly, I don’t think it’s going to be a ‘huge’ impact, but it will be felt. The bottom line is updates will be less frequent, but when they do come, we hope they’ll be a lot more impressive. We know a lot of you are quite happy with the visuals as they are, but that many are not. So those of you already enchanted with the game, please be patient as we raise the bar. And to the rest of you, we hope you’ll become Pantheon fans as we focus on that quality.

Again, all that said, I do want to assure everyone that we’ve not pushed that Pendulum too far. We’re not sitting around doing zones over and over again, attempting absolute perfection. Lots of work in all areas is being done. Just this week we are starting to code our quest system. If you haven’t watched last month’s video (I know it’s long, but please watch the entire thing), check it out – you’ll see real client/server MMO gameplay, and we’ve progressed quite a bit since then. Our programming goal right now, which we’re calling Alpha 1, is to complete basic MMO functionality and features. Then we’ll move to Alpha 2, and add all of the cool new ideas we want to build on top of that classic MMO foundation. So we’re continuing to code like crazy. In fact, the trick with nudging that pendulum is, of course, to make sure we are STILL making measurable forward progress. We want to see Alpha 2 by the end of 2015 and we want 2016 to be all about Beta.

Feel free to reply with any questions or concerns. And as an example of how we are raising the bar, below are three shots of Halnir, redone with our new outdoor tech, and one new shot of the dungeon Amberfaet. Also, check out the recent post and concept art of the Archai and listen to the fantastic interview by Joppa on the Sam Skatch Show.

Thanks!

-Brad McQuaid

10900193_1581688248712376_6877346282462911373_o.jpg

10818326_1581688258712375_7681896403973373814_o.jpg

10629253_1581688255379042_1342145125843849303_o.jpg

10854320_1581688302045704_1620608284521871811_o.jpg

Paper

Educated
At least the christian family left the team. I really hope this game gets made but I'm not counting on it. From what I know it sounds like I could spend a couple of thousand hours playing it.

Maybe at some points the old style of MMORPGs will make a comeback like single player cRPGs seem to be doing now.

Xenich

Cipher
At least the christian family left the team. I really hope this game gets made but I'm not counting on it. From what I know it sounds like I could spend a couple of thousand hours playing it.

Maybe at some points the old style of MMORPGs will make a comeback like single player cRPGs seem to be doing now.

Maybe I am being too optimistic, maybe the desire for something other than shit is clouding my perception, but... I think this may come to fruition. When they started the Kickstarter, they had really nothing. They had some concept art and a basic zone model of an area. That is it. In that time, they have built a fully functional server/client system, made several zones, added numerous mechanics and content. while EXTREMELY rough, the game has made some major leaps in development. So, it gives me some bit of hope. Heck, even if it is another Vanguard mess, I will take it... and this time... I will covet it for all its faults.

I mean, to really appreciate the possibilities here, you have to read the discussion in the forums. The majority of the players there are "Old School" and the discussions revolve around making the game difficult, vast in content/mechanics, open and dangerous. If they meet even 1/2 of what they are attempting, the game will be miles over the heads of anything out there. No, I am not talking about "next gen" or the game being "better" (pointless subjective argument), but that it will be something that is actually a game, meant to play as a game, designed for people who like playing games, who want the challenge, the effort, and failure/success of such. The WoW crowd will absolutely hate the game, they will despise everything about it. They will see it a waste of time, redundant, more effort than it is worth, unPC, etc... That in my eyes is a success because everything that crowd wants and desires is the opposite of what I want.

But then...

Brad could fuck it up. It really is a gamble. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's an unusual visual style. There's a great deal of detail but at the same time everything looks quite grainy. Not sure what to make of it.

Xenich

Cipher
Well, I hope that graphically it doesn't get too appealing. The last thing I want is for the WoW crowd to get wind and start whining and complaining about the game not being a casual face roll fest. They do it every time. In LoTRO Alpha, things were going quite well, only the niche crowd was interested and it was becoming a solid game. Then in Beta/Open Beta the WoW crowd got wind and the forums turned into... well... the WoW forums with every post being about how the game will fail, that it sucks because it doesn't have XYZ casual WoW feature or that the game was too hard, or... someone had to actually read the quest text, etc...

If the game is just enough to keep them from having interest, then it should only draw the niche old school crowd or newer players who find today's games to be nothing but kiddie entertainment. Being that Brad has stated they aren't worried about millions of subs and as long as the game can sustain them, they consider it a success, well... there is some shred of possibility of this being a success (ie successful in achieving a niche game that does not sell out to the idiot masses)

Alchemist

Arcane
Well, I hope that graphically it doesn't get too appealing.
I understand your main point here - they should absolutely not cater to the mainstream player base. But I still think the graphics have room for improvement which will make it appeal to the old-school niche they are hoping to attract (and also investors, as Brad mentions in the quote above). If they focus on a style that is traditional (think Keith Parkinson and other classic TSR D&D artists of the 80's) - and not infected with the over-stylized WoWified / anime-ish fantasy art trends of the last several years, I think they will have something the old-school crowd will enjoy. It will have the combined effect of not appealing to the WoW crowd (which is good) but also attracting old-schoolers who miss the classic fantasy art style.

Anyway I'm amazed this is still going - more power to 'em - I hope they can pull it off. I would definitely give it a try if it gets released.

Xenich

Cipher
I understand your main point here - they should absolutely not cater to the mainstream player base. But I still think the graphics have room for improvement which will make it appeal to the old-school niche they are hoping to attract (and also investors, as Brad mentions in the quote above). If they focus on a style that is traditional (think Keith Parkinson and other classic TSR D&D artists of the 80's) - and not infected with the over-stylized WoWified / anime-ish fantasy art trends of the last several years, I think they will have something the old-school crowd will enjoy. It will have the combined effect of not appealing to the WoW crowd (which is good) but also attracting old-schoolers who miss the classic fantasy art style.

Anyway I'm amazed this is still going - more power to 'em - I hope they can pull it off. I would definitely give it a try if it gets released.

Yes, they do have room for improvement and as Brad said, they are going to work on it. My problem is that we have had so many failures of games over the years that have each sold out to a community that is like hostile aliens to my own expectations and sensibilities that I fear for anything being good enough to attract them. I am an old guy that has seen the absolute inception and decay of this industry and all I can say is that if it even attempts to cater to the current generation of gamers, I will absolutely hate it.

Xenich

Cipher
If it has half the heart of Vanguard, it will be worth every penny. The key is focusing on the computer gaming base and ignoring the mainstream, much like certain musicians/bands do.

Yep, which from what I have read in the forums, they seem to be doing. I have some objections to some suggestions made by people, but over all, the trend of people interested in the game are the PC gamer base. Though it is far to early to see what happens with mainstream. I would imagine that as the game gets into beta (they are shooting for 2016 for beta) and they start to hit the marketing trail... well... that is when we will see the influx of the mainstream crowd. My hope is that when they do finally release, that the timing is during a WoW expansion release. That way mainstream will be distracted and maybe they can avoid the rush of zombies demanding the game be made into the next papamole MMOrpg.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

The issue isn't so much appealing to the old school crowd as it's making the game not appealing to kiddies.

Alchemist

Arcane
I am an old guy that has seen the absolute inception and decay of this industry and all I can say is that if it even attempts to cater to the current generation of gamers, I will absolutely hate it.
I'm totally with you on that (and also old and started MMOs with the launch of UO). So far they seem to have a pretty solid vision of what they want to do and hopefully they're smart enough not to make any compromises to get more mass market appeal. If they do bow down to that kind of pressure - the whole thing is pointless. The world sure doesn't need yet another MMO trying to appeal to everyone.

The issue isn't so much appealing to the old school crowd as it's making the game not appealing to kiddies.
Yeah I understand that - and I'm all for them repelling the WoW kids as much as possible.

I guess my point is they still will need to grab the attention of the market they do want to serve (however small that may be), or they won't be sustainable. They can have better quality graphics / art direction and still focus on their niche. Quality doesn't have to mean mass-market oriented.

Xenich

Cipher
I have been reading the forum discussions there and am encouraged by the general consensus as to various features and designs, though some people worry me as they tend to be in a bit of an identity conflict. They claim they want "old school", but then make arguments that are dissuasive to the implementation of those features.

A recent discussion has been going on a bit about the "sting of death" and what it should contain. Most tend to like the idea of a corpse recovery, but some are mixed on exp penalties. Personally, I want both. I love corpse recoveries, but don't want them entirely like early EQ. I didn't like the looting the corpse to drag it or the rot timers of 7 days before the corpse disappeared with all your gear. The former I think was a feature, but If I remember right the latter was a technical limitation issue. Obviously having someone loot your corpse is problematic, especially with players these days. The rot timers while an interesting mechanic of risk/reward I think is a bit too harsh for a game that takes time to earn anything in. I remember many a night doing corpse runs into the early morning hours never even going to bed before work for fear of the chance of losing your gear. I think having to retrieve your corpse is sufficient in risk/reward and doesn't expect the player to forego their RL for the game. I mean, tend to be against the whole "I have a life, I don't have time to... XYZ in a damn game", but this isn't an issue of having to spend time, it is more of an issue of having to spend time on the games clock or you lose everything over the time to just recover a corpse before you log out. I am all for time penalties and consequence, but that is going a bit far I think. I knew some people who lost a corpse to the rot timer and wasn't pretty. I mean, when someone obtaining a gear item could mean months of camping, prep, etc.. that sort of penalty is a bit harsh for a single loss of a corpse.

As for exp penalties. This one I think is still good. I am not entirely sure how much should be loss with each death, but it should be meaningful and sting, even when getting a rez. Exp penalties tend to curb bad behavior and combined with the chance to lose a level create for some interesting situations of consequence for ones risk. Every time someone leveled, there used to be joy, followed by fear of losing it until they got a buffer. People would get really careful on a ding because (mostly for spell casters) losing that level meant you lost the spells that came with it. It was amusing to see the excitement and joy from a person on a ding only to watch that flood away after they lost a level and couldn't use the spells. Some say this detracts from "fun", but I argue that this is what created the fun. When people think back on games, they tend to think back to the memories of games where they had hardship with difficult obstacles to which created emotional roller coasters. The lows made the highs all the more intoxicating. Not only level loss of spells was an issue, but zone level limits created some interesting dilemmas. Raid zones like Plane of Hate and Plane of Fear had a level 46 level requirement. You could be up in a raid and have so many wipes that the 10% loss after a rez added up, putting you under the zone requirement forcing you to have to go earn exp back to 46 before you could even be rezed back to the zone.

The reason I like death penalties is because it has an effect on your community. Everyone talks about the days of EQ and how there was a lot of community and friendships formed. I think this was due to the mechanics. People had to rely on each other and this meant they were selective with who they relied on. A typical PUG in EQ operated like a pre-made back then because people had to become knowledgeable and skillful of not only their own class, but that of others as well. If someone was an asshat and caused the group deaths constantly, they were kicked to the curb and if their behavior continued, well... pretty soon they found themselves unable to find groups. Death penalties also detoured a lot of indiscriminate play. Rushing in, over pulling, getting agro, etc... usually always resulted in a party wipe. You do that enough and people start to get pissed because of the workload of making up exp (or recovering the corpses) that you created for them. The solo "fuck you, I play for myself" mentality wouldn't get you far. Either you played as a team, or you played a solo class all the way up to max level.

All of these types of hardships created real fear while playing. It made exploration extremely dangerous and in return rewarding. I think back to exploring Sirens Grotto in Velious fully. It was a partial water zone with many tunnels that took you to areas which could only be reached under water. It was an extremely dangerous zone with lots of agro issues, casting mobs, etc... making corpse recovery a nightmare. Being able to just see the entire zone was a major accomplishment. How many games these days offer such a rewarding feeling for simply exploring a zone? Consequence and severe penalty make the play all the more sweeter.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Edit: Forgot to add the video

New update:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1714/pantheon-state-of-the-game-2-20

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen -- State of the Game update 02/20/2015

First, a quick note on Unity and the new version of the engine and how it will affect Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. The visual 'upgrade' you see from these shots and movie were all done within the constraints of Unity 4 -- John Diasparra and his team have pushed the limits of the engine pretty far here, and are also using a variety of other tools to help make these environments, mold them, texture them, before we even bring them into Unity to make a build. I think the 'upgrade' is fantastic myself, with big kudos to John and the team. One quick amazing tidbit: there's no measurable frame rate hit at all -- these zones are running just as fast as their predecessors, what you've seen in earlier screenshots and movies! And we're not done -- we'll continue to push and innovate, because creating a virtual world you can call home is what it's all about!

But we've also very recently begun working with Unity 5 release candidates thanks to our friends over at Unity (they took a look at the game during DICE and seemed really excited about a full AAA MMO being made with their engine and we've become fast friends). Well, here's the exciting news: not only is Unity 5 64 bit, which will help us big time when we're building zones, nav meshes, etc., but the engine comes with a serious upgrade in terms of lighting and shader technology. I know this is quite a tease, and you may not see any Unity 5 screenshots or movies for a month or two, but just bringing our scenes into the new engine, with very few tweaks on our part, has brought the visuals up even *another* notch! It's really quite amazing and our friends at Unity have worked on their technology such that very little extra effort on our part will be needed to move the project to this latest tech. In the old days, upgrading to a new version of a game or graphics engine was typically long and very painful. Lots of procedures and plug-ins and techniques would have to be re-done, and often it took a while, slowing down development in a frustrating way.

Not so with Unity 5! Like I said, very little effort on our side has resulted in some serious visual enhancements. Anyway, I just had to share that with you all. If you like where we're headed visually, you're really going to like Pantheon under Unity 5! And hopefully we'll be able to start showing some of that off in the next 1-2 months.

Additionally, all that I've been talking about, as exciting as it is, has been world building related. And at the same time John and his team have been doing amazing things, the rest of the team hasn't slowed a single bit! We have more concept art coming soon and will be highlighting two more playable races very soon. Lore continues in full force and I'm very happy with the way it's all taking form, coming together, and really shaping up.

And then there's the programming team. We've not stopped or slowed by any means! The world builders and game designers are getting upgraded tools, allowing them to populate zones much more efficiently and with much more control of who and what goes where. They're also able to quickly create boss mob encounters, linked encounters, and quests and quest tasks. One of the features we just got in is the ability to execute a Zone Event upon the completion of a quest. For example, let's say you turn in your quest to the original mob who gave it to you, only to find.... he's betrayed you! The quest is complete, but then the mob yells for reinforcements! Guards from different parts of the dungeon run in and surround you. They talk with each other, arguing what they should do with you and your party next! And what you say at that point could really matter -- say the right thing, and the mobs may simply escort you out of the area. Say the wrong thing and factions can change and suddenly you are KoS to the guards in that area and you're under attack! Needless to say, I'm really excited about Zone Events because just about anything can trigger them (hailing a mob, saying the wrong thing, attacking the wrong mob, or even turning it what you thought would be a profitable quest!). Essentially, something you the player does 'triggers' one of these events, after which one or more mobs will react in any number of ways, casting spells, using abilities, following you around, and, of course, attacking your party.

One of the next 'big' things we've begun working on are the actual classes. Class descriptions are being written up, and the coding team is taking these and begun implementation. Soon, in-game, you'll be able to create a character with a certain class, and all of the abilities, spells, prayers, attributes, etc. will be assigned to your character. Us proto-GMs will be able to enter /class Warrior or /class Ranger, and regardless of what class you were before, all of your skills and abilities will change accordingly. We will be able to dynamically set experience, skill points, level & tier, and class in-game, making it very easy to test and balance and tweak how the classes play out -- are they powerful enough? Do they get the right abilities and skills and the right level and tier?

One more thing and I’ll wrap this up. Ever since Vanguard, I’ve read posts and posts about how much people liked the class system. Even some of the more critical MMO players out there have had nothing but good things to say about the classes in that game, how they felt and played differently, that they didn’t feel cookie-cutter at all. Well, we are determined to have the classes in Pantheon feel that way as well, and are putting a lot of effort into making sure they don’t just feel traditional, but that they also include features and mechanics that really make playing one class over another a different experience. One way we are doing this with Pantheon is our plan to use a variety of different types of mana – mana will vary in color and will represent a theme or alignment. So let’s say you chose a cleric, and a cleric’s primary mana color is White. Prayers and abilities you’ll receive at your basic trainer will be healing related, as one would expect, and when you use these abilities, it will use up the White mana you’ve been accumulating. Your primary mana will then re-accumulate over time, especially if you are resting, or not in combat, or if another player casts an accelerate mana generation type spell. But what if you want to customize or focus your cleric? What if you don’t want a cookie-cutter healer? Just like rare items, you’ll need to explore the world of Terminus in search of rare spells and abilities. Maybe you want to be a cleric that is especially good at fighting the un-dead? Or perhaps you like the idea of a Battle Cleric and want to dish out some damage as well? These types of prayers, spells, and abilities will *not* be available at your local trainer. You’ll have to find them, perhaps from a wise old hermit in the depths of the dungeon. But then even after you have the ability, can you cast it? Perhaps it uses a different color of mana, a gold or a grey? You’ll then need to find a way to make your character accumulate mana other than White. Obviously, this doesn’t happen naturally. Perhaps you’ll need to change the god or celestial you follow? Perhaps you’ll need to find a rare orb, that when held, also allows you to accumulate Gold mana, allowing you then to cast that rare ability?

What does this all do? It allows you to customize and focus your class in an area that means something to you, that fits in better with your vision of what a cleric or any other class should be. It allows us to expand upon the basic, classic versions of classes that goes all the way back to D&D. It allows you, the player, to customize your character by choosing to focus on one or more of these specialties. Is it true multi-classing? No, we don’t feel in a grouping game that is based on how well you perform in a team/group and how well you play your role should have true multi-classing. Class interdependence must be maintained. But it *does* allow you to customize and specialize your class by going out into the world, engaging that environment or region, and find the rare items and abilities that allow your class to do things and perform feats the typical ‘cleric’ would have no way of accomplishing. It rewards you for exploration, and it creates an entirely new type of item or artifact that plays right into our vision for multi-colored mana. Play it safe? Heal away! Want to specialize? Get out there and learn how to accumulate rare mana types and find those exotic mana sources! Change your mind, or choose to focus now on being a Battle Cleric as opposed to the bane of all those undead? Go for it – there’s nothing stopping you from exploring the potential of your class to the extreme!

Anyway, that’s a pretty good summary of what we’re all working on, and because we’re so focused on Classes right now, it gave me a great opportunity to tease you a little bit and explain in more detail what we mean when we talk about a multi-colored mana system and how it relates to us having the freedom to not only make each class play and feel differently (ala VG), but also to allow you to customize your class within the confines still necessary to uphold class interdependence!

In summary, I’ve never been more excited about Pantheon than I am right now. Things are really coming together. The visuals are on their way up. The world is being built and zones are really taking on a character of their own. Classes are being designed and implemented with a flexibility and fun-factor not seen since VG. Zone Events and other ‘scripted’ encounters are in the works. And I just can’t say enough about this team – it is indeed an honor and privilege to work with a lean and mean team who works through the night and into the weekends, getting more done, more quickly, than I’ve ever experienced in my 20+ years of computer game development. And, lastly, that we can log in to our pre-alpha servers from anywhere and show off our progress is *most* gratifying!

Onward!

-Brad “Aradune Mithara” McQuaid

I Like what I am seeing. He is right though, the general consensus of Vanguard classes is positive. Seeing the ideas he presented is.. well... the inner min/max geek in me is getting excited. Need to back off though, plan for the worst and hope for the best with this game or I will be very disappointed.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
I have to say, just in that video update, the graphics are leaps and bounds better. The game looks fantastic and it is likely to get even better looking with their move to Unity 5. What I love about the look is that it has a realistic look as opposed to all the stylized cartoon-like look of games today. They really seem to be moving along though, this game may actually see the light of day. Another encouraging thing is that Brad is not at the helm for the company in terms of the business side, he is the CCO and so specifically is attending to the very thing I always thought he excelled at.

I think the Zone events sound interesting and I really like the complexity of the mana system he mentions. The game really is shaping up to be a detailed and complex one.

Honestly though, as more and more content comes out and people see the quality of graphics, style and look, I think it is going to attract much bigger crowds. That is the part that worries me because that is when all the whining will begin with tantrums like "WHAT a death penalty? Penalty systems are outdated!", "What, no PvP? Without PvP your game will fail!", etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom