Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Panzer Corps 2

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://flashback.games/panzer-corps-2/

https://af.gog.com/game/panzer_corps_2?as=1649904300

The second installment of Slitherine's Panzer General successor is due out soon. The first Panzer Corps was pretty faithful to the originals, so I'm optimistic about this one. At first glance, graphics have gotten a lot better.

Panzer Corps 2 is the ultimate Second World War strategy game!

Enjoy the time-proven gameplay formula which has been appreciated by millions of players over the years, brought to a whole new level of refinement up to the latest technical standards.

The king of wargames is back!

Easy to play and at the same time extremely deep, its fine-tuned turn-based gameplay style means that it’s the quality of your decisions, not the speed of clicking, which will determine the outcome of your battles. Don’t outpace your enemies, outsmart them!

In-depth gameplay mechanics model unit movement, combat, spotting, encirclements, weather, capturing enemy equipment and much more.

A massive amount of content

Panzer Corps 2 is all about content. You can play for every major power in the European theatre of the Second World War, and unleash over a whopping 1000 unique different units on your enemies! Every single unit in the game has been painstakingly modelled and animated. No other game covers as many authentic World War II vehicles as Panzer Corps 2!

All of World War II at your fingertips

Panzer Corps 2 comes with a massive branching campaign including around 60 scenarios: lead the Wehrmacht in the entirety of World War II, carrying over your battle-hardened veterans from one battle to the next.

10 additional single player scenarios are available and another 10 scenarios carefully designed for a balanced Multiplayer experience. On top of that there is an advanced random map generator for Skirmish mode, offering six distinct map types and four mission types.

The ultimate wargame online experience

Challenge your friends or play on coop against the AI. Panzer Corps 2 offers a wide range of Multiplayer options: hot seat, server-assisted play-by-email (Slitherine’s PBEM++) mode, and a true online Multiplayer. In the latter mode it is even possible to play your turns simultaneously with your coop partner, which basically reduces waiting times to zero!

A comprehensive editor

Modding was always big with Panzer Corps series. For this reason, Panzer Corps 2 includes the most powerful Scenario Editor we have ever created, which is also very user friendly and easy to use. Using the Editor, you can create your own campaigns, single scenarios and multiplayer maps in no time, or you can enjoy content created by fellow players. If the prequel game is any indication, literally hundreds of user-made scenarios will be available for Panzer Corps 2 in no time, for unlimited replayability!

ss_7691e49163c8d9301a240ac467be43a7b9244a81.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ef6aa6c76773b8ddb14dd82c3215e3b5da375afb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_e3ca6ecc644b638274f35df70a4727459b2eca77.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cdce20e7260adae4942701ef3fd76a880c11ae07.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
True online multiplayer Slitherine moving into the mid to late 90s finally.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Actually, it pretty much looks like a mod/addon for the Order of Battle game which is kinda surprising - was that game a big success for Slitherine or something?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Actually, it pretty much looks like a mod/addon for the Order of Battle game which is kinda surprising - was that game a big success for Slitherine or something?

I think so. It also had lots of cheap DLC where they squeezed out the length of the WWII into bitsized expansions.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So why the complete radio silence? The steam page and forums are a wasteland. I thought this game is pretty big for slitherine.

Inspectah

Savant

Dont't have the time to watch yet, but the random map seems a return to the incline of ages past
The graphics seemed fine for me, it could just be the good eld 2D but seems actually pretty (and ok to run for shit laptops like we grognards tend to have)

Edit 2: Any words on random campaigns? Or is that reserved for *mods will fix it*?

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You mean the first Panzer Corps? It's a rather difficult question and as someone who played General games a lot my tldr answer would be: it's not a bad game and it's worth playing. In some aspects it's genuinely better than PG2, but at the same time there are some important things it does worse. I would rather recommend Open General, although the last build I tried was a long time ago and I think currently it's slipping into hurrr durrr modders at work territory a bit.

But yes, despite its flaws, PC manages to more or less "get" the General formula of building your collection of tin soldiers through (quasi)historical missions. At least it does it to a much bigger extent than other slitherine releases like OOB, WH Arma or, absolutely haram, Fantasy General 2.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But yes, despite its flaws, PC manages to more or less "get" the General formula of building your collection of tin soldiers through (quasi)historical missions. At least it does it to a much bigger extent than other slitherine releases like OOB, WH Arma or, absolutely haram, Fantasy General 2.

Why do you think Order of battle is worse than Panzer Corps? I played the free version of the game a bit and felt good. Not and expert, and I'm curious to try Panzer Corps 2.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I only played the vanilla release for the record, tried both jap and kwan campaigns, but didn't get far into either.

To me it felt like a General game, only made as slow and tedious as possible on purpose. The damage felt much lower than "normal" and the number of times a unit that should die would be damaged to then reinforce and return was just ridiculous. They even boast about it like it was a feature - ie loading screen tips saying that the more damage you deal to the planes the more difficult they are to shot down. Wtf, why would you do such a thing. Then there's units losing efficiency through using exciting abilities like moving, cooldown abilities and so on. Also, a minor point, but the 3d engine was ugly and clunky, adding to the feeling of the game being slow.

See, Panzer General is a simplistic game, but it does a really decent job of portraying ww2 warfare on its scale, combined arms, breakthrough/encirclement with mobile forces, the use of different types of units and all that jazz. Panzer Corps, for all its faults, emulated it rather well. OOB to me felt more like ww1 trench warfare.

It had some decent ideas, like dynamic fronts and cutting units from supplies, but just felt like a pain to slog through. Judging by the number of dlc though, I think it was a big hit for slitherine and thus PC2 looks more like OOB2. Oh well, let's see, but after the travesty of Fantasy General 2 I'm not particularly optimistic.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From Wargamer.com
LONG LIVE THE KING: PANZER CORPS 2 IS SHAPING UP JUST FINE
BY BILL GRAY 22 JAN 2020 0
I’ve been fortunate enough to play a pre-release version of Matrix/Slitherine’s Panzer Corps II (PC2) these past few days in conjunction with Monday’s announcement. By ‘pre-release’ I mean what I had was by no means a full-fledged package. But after tromping thru Poland in 1939 as the Wehrmacht and trudging thru the snows of 1942 Russia as the Red Army, I think I’ve seen enough to form a pretty good opinion. And my perspective is that if you even only mildly liked PC2s ancient ancestor SSIs Panzer General, you are going to really, REALLY like the sequel to its successor Panzer Corps the First.

That said, don’t expect a full review today, where I describe exactly how to play the game, or even evaluate all the new improvements being built into PC2 as described earlier on The Wargamer. This little tome is solely about the differences I could eyeball and type after 30 + hours putting the beta to the test.

Panzer-Corps-2-Generals.jpg

EXTERIOR PAINT AND CHROME
The first thing you will notice about PC2 is there is an increased hardware requirement to run the game, though overall the plus-up is not egregious. Edition One called for Vista thru Win10, a Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM and a 128 MB video card with 500 MB storage recommended. Now you need a 64-bit OS, a dual core CPU, 8 GB RAM, and a recommended NVIDEA or AMD video card with 4 GB VR and 9 GB storage. The new specs are necessary because this time around PC2 uses the UNREAL 4 graphics engine which delivers full 3D capability. Currently, the PC I use to run games like this is a small Dell workstation that is nonetheless way overkill on all specs except for the video card. I’m using an AMD Radeon R5 240 low profile (it’s the only card that would fit) with only 1 GB of RAM (half of even the minimum of 2GB) and it does show. This setup does run the software OK, but when you get to large campaigns or engagements, you will notice that mouse and onscreen movement can be a little sluggish with slight wait times. Overall, not a problem.

The graphics are much improved, however, in both quality and quantity. The game map is styled as a very photorealistic, 3D overhead reconnaissance image with enough detail to convey individual houses with backyards within large towns. The playing pieces are accurate, 3D models of ground troops, ships, vehicles, artillery and aircraft, though very politically correct all throughout. There are no infamous hooked crosses to be found on any German equipment, though interestingly, Luftwaffe aircraft correctly have yellow wingtips denoting assignment to the Eastern Front. Unfortunately, the ability to change the camouflage schemes of the various warring powers was not yet available in the PC2 press copy and this was one of the “new and improved” selling points I was really looking to try. Aw shucks, but animation such as explosions and combat sounds were exceptionally well done, and I absolutely fell in love with that Soviet style music that PC2 uses as a soundtrack. And speaking of sound, mission briefings now include voice and text not to mention map markers.

Panzer-Corps-2-Scenario-List.jpg

PC2 also advertises more units available for play, evidently over 1000 vice 700 in the first edition. Well, I didn’t count them but if what I saw of the Soviet side in the 1942 Rzhev scenario is any indication, I believe it. I’m an old Panzer General morphed with someone who built every single Tamiya WWII plastic tank model ever made. Not only did the Soviet list contain a lot of lend-lease merchandise from the US and UK, but also arcane tanks, guns and aircraft not to mention differing models of more common equipment I never knew existed. Obviously as the Red Army commander I had to field the lumbering land battleship known as the T-35 and I’ll admit I actually had to look up the T-50 (it was a light tank that resembled a T-34 pre-puberty, only 69 built) to see if it was legit. The sheer enormousness really drew me in, because, after all, who doesn’t like running around the eastern steppes with the esoteric of the esoteric?

Finally, I thought the strategic map was exceptionally well done. Not only was the design the clearest and most informative I’ve ever seen, but I like the way you could expand its size over top of the primary battlefield, and the concurrent display of friendly controlled hexes was a solid choice.

Panzer-Corps-2-Corps-Builder.jpg

UNDER THE HOOD
This version of PC2 was limited in what you could play and in some of the features you could use. In the latter category for example, limiting or eliminating the player’s ability to perform a “do-over” was turned off (tho I really like the concept). Also, while the game listed a choice of several campaigns, all were inoperable except the 1939 Polish invasion, or at the very least, you had to finish that before you could move to North Africa or Barbarossa. As regards to individual scenarios, those included some random engagements and also the historical battles of Rzhev and Crete plus the hypothetical Defender of the Reich and Fjord War (don’t ask). Like its ancestors, it looks like PC2 in the raw will be targeted towards a German campaign so I decided to play not only Poland 39, but also Rzhev because here you get to wear your Marshal of the Soviet Union tabs.

The first noticeable difference for me was that when you assume your role as commander, you open a screen allowing you to give your character specific traits, both good and bad (which I am sure everyone will use, snicker) or have the AI select a random set for you. Here we’re talking about things like Master of Blitzkrieg vs Poor Maintenance. I was unable to observe how these impacted proceedings in the short games I played, but if it's there you know that something, somewhere is being modified for and against you. Similarly, after certain combats you might be awarded with a hero you can assign to give friendly formations a boost. My first hero was a Soviet Yak-1 fighter pilot who received a heroism decoration for simply surviving his unit getting shot silly by all the Messerschmitt’s on the planet. Cute, but I’ll take it.

Panzer-Corps-2-Heroes.jpg

Otherwise the game is played pretty much the same way as Panzer General, much less Panzer Corps round one. You buy units and deploy them and then move, shoot and resupply on a hex based terrain map that is inspired by historical events, but does not exactly replicate them. Think Thermopylae for real as opposed to Gerard Butler in the movie 300, along with an androgynous Xerxes. By no means is this a negative, however. Praised for its “elegant simplicity” since Panzer General first dropped, the franchise has wisely not decided upon massive changes simply for the sake of doing so.

Instead, what I encountered were more evolutionary changes that added a turbocharger to the engine and a bit of tasteful chrome to the bumpers. It's just the right mix of additional detail and realism without any sacrifice of playability, in part because of an interface that takes the player by the hand and identifies his options every step of the way in every turn. For example, one of the new features is the old cardboard counter wargame concept of 'Overrun' and it pretty much works the same way. However, PC2 helps matters along by letting you know when your hapless target is Overrun eligible.

Panzer-Corps-2-Eastern-Front.jpg

In other new features, one that I really like was the way air units are handled. Instead of flying them until they run out of gas and/or ammo, every time an aircraft unit goes on a mission, it returns back to base immediately after completion. Additionally, the further away the target, the less powerful the aerial attack becomes due to the need to carry gas vs bombs. Need to start hitting targets outside the range of your squadrons? Now you have to find them a new airbase within range, and spend a turn getting them there. It's simple, accurate and challenging.

But perhaps the biggest change is the fusion of two new, but separate, capabilities introduced in PC2. This is the concept of “Encirclement” and “Unit Splitting”. Each unit has a certain number of fuel and ammo points it can use before it has to sit an entire turn to resupply. Otherwise it can’t shoot and can’t move. In PC2 it is now possible to encircle enemy units so that when its fuel and ammunition levels tank, they can not resupply and thus shoot nobody and move nowhere. Splitting units means breaking down a regular formation into two smaller detachments that can move and operate independently. Having extra units in the field means that securing the needed number of adjacent hexagons to encircle the enemy effectively becomes twice as probable. Brilliant!

Panzer-Corps-2-Poland.jpg

IN CONCLUSION
All of this together made for some very exciting as well as fun games this past weekend. It also allowed me to get a feel as to what the final product might convey as regards overall gameplay. In my games I found out you can never have enough recon units in your force pool, because despite what history might record, you always seem to be outnumbered by units that shouldn’t be there. Likewise, even at the lowest difficulty setting, I found the AI to be super aggressive. Even in historical and logical defensive situations, the AI always seemed eager to attack. I’m not sure whether this proclivity is yet another new aspect of PC2, but in some cases I thought my computer adversary was almost foolhardy. Nevertheless, this combination of Fog of War when married to new tricks of the trade like Overrun, Detachments and Encirclement makes for a very tough way to learn the military’s nine principles of war.

Bottom line. As it stands right now would I buy this upgrade if I already owned Panzer General or Panzer Corps the First? Yes, I absolutely would, without reservation, and yet... a little voice in the back of my head keeps nagging me about what kind of critter PC2 actually is and if this specific is what makes it so special. Is it really a wargame in the video game vernacular, or perhaps a more mainstream strategy game with a military paint job? Or is it a hybrid crossover between the two? Interesting. If the Boss lets me, I’ll broach this when I do a formal review come March.

Panzer Corps 2 is due out on March 19th, 2020.

Depending on how well it is implemented, encirclement may be a big step forward.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Aside from the heroes feature it just looks like PC1 with a new coat of paint. Would have liked to see some more campaign features added like the kind in the Decisive Campaigns series. Conflicting orders from HQ, branching operations, stalled fronts, dynamic battles with attrition, etc.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I would like to see the lack of potato 3d.

Seriously, guys, it's time to stop now.

It's a tb strategy that will be played by 23 people.

Just don't.

I only played the vanilla release for the record, tried both jap and kwan campaigns, but didn't get far into either.

To me it felt like a General game, only made as slow and tedious as possible on purpose. The damage felt much lower than "normal" and the number of times a unit that should die would be damaged to then reinforce and return was just ridiculous. They even boast about it like it was a feature - ie loading screen tips saying that the more damage you deal to the planes the more difficult they are to shot down. Wtf, why would you do such a thing. Then there's units losing efficiency through using exciting abilities like moving, cooldown abilities and so on. Also, a minor point, but the 3d engine was ugly and clunky, adding to the feeling of the game being slow.

See, Panzer General is a simplistic game, but it does a really decent job of portraying ww2 warfare on its scale, combined arms, breakthrough/encirclement with mobile forces, the use of different types of units and all that jazz. Panzer Corps, for all its faults, emulated it rather well. OOB to me felt more like ww1 trench warfare.

It had some decent ideas, like dynamic fronts and cutting units from supplies, but just felt like a pain to slog through. Judging by the number of dlc though, I think it was a big hit for slitherine and thus PC2 looks more like OOB2. Oh well, let's see, but after the travesty of Fantasy General 2 I'm not particularly optimistic.

PC2 is going to be like panzer corp, not like order of battle. There are game play videos of this. There are some new features, but its defiantly like pazner corp and panzer genera and not OOBl. Also I think maybe the guy in the video above may be misunderstanding how the random map generation works..or maybe I do.

But he seems to believe that there will be some random generation going on during the main campaign game missions. I do not believe that is true. Perhaps he does not actually believe that and I misunderstood him, or perhaps I don't understand how the game is going to work. But I thought the random map generation was going to be separate from the main campaign which would have historical maps, but that the game would be able to create non-historical random campaigns outside the historical campaign. Perhaps that is what he was talking about.

I would like to see the lack of potato 3d.

Seriously, guys, it's time to stop now.

It's a tb strategy that will be played by 23 people.

Just don't.
that is not actually true. I am willing to bet their panzer corp series sold very very well and that this will too.

The 3D will have some benefits. For instance, you will be able to add like 50 types of camouflage to any of your units easily, which was not easy to implement in 2D panzer corp. Besides just looking cool, it the feature is actually helpful to separate units into battle group-- or will be for me.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Aside from the heroes feature it just looks like PC1 with a new coat of paint. Would have liked to see some more campaign features added like the kind in the Decisive Campaigns series. Conflicting orders from HQ, branching operations, stalled fronts, dynamic battles with attrition, etc.

The Panzer Corps: Afrika Korps expansion has more dynamic missions. You would have things like changing objectives mid scenario, surprise enemy reinforcements behind your lines and varied objectives like destroying moving convoy in a time limit. Which all provided missions with more variety then just capture certain victory points.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
PC2 is going to be like panzer corp, not like order of battle.
PC and OOB are ultimately very similary games, obvious PG knock offs. The biggest difference between them was the numbers under the hood and the feel of action-to-action gameflow. That said, PC2 definitely looks more like OOB than it does PC. It's not only about general presentation, but also, for example, dynamic fronts or flanking indicators.
that is not actually true. I am willing to bet their panzer corp series sold very very well and that this will too.
Uh, that was a hyperbole. That said, it's something like circa 900 vs 1100 all-time peak for OOB vs PC. Of course there's a question of what "popular" means in this context, but they are obviously very niche games. Also, the total radio silence on PC2 and the tumbleweed forums are pretty telling.
The 3D will have some benefits.
Yeah, no. There's nothing to be gained for this type of game by going from crisp, clear and quick 2d (that can also look great as long as there's talent involved) to potato 3d that the game does not need in any way mechanics-wise. It was always this way and it ain't changing.

PC2 is going to be like panzer corp, not like order of battle.
PC and OOB are ultimately very similary games, obvious PG knock offs. The biggest difference between them was the numbers under the hood and the feel of action-to-action gameflow. That said, PC2 definitely looks more like OOB than it does PC. It's not only about general presentation, but also, for example, dynamic fronts or flanking indicators.
Uh, that was a hyperbole. That said, it's something like circa 900 vs 1100 all-time peak for OOB vs PC. Of course there's a question of what "popular" means in this context, but they are obviously very niche games. Also, the total radio silence on PC2 and the tumbleweed forums are pretty telling.
The 3D will have some benefits.
Yeah, no. There's nothing to be gained for this type of game by going from crisp, clear and quick 2d (that can also look great as long as there's talent involved) to potato 3d that the game does not need in any way mechanics-wise. It was always this way and it ain't changing.
I used to think that about 3d, but it has advanced far enough IMO that it looks good and runs fast on most machines now and is largely a benefit so that I have changed my mind in that regard.

The graphics in this game look quite nice and clean to me, and watching it feels like a panzer general game being played and not OOB which was slower paced and more of a slog IMO. I guess we will see shortly. I also assume half of Panzer Corps old players were often playing not using steam BTW since they bought the game on matrix or slitherne. This iteration will have less of that issue, although maybe 10-15% of that population still refuses to use steam for various reasons.

rezaf

Cipher
My only concern with the 3D is moddability.
There are considerably more people able and willing to cook up some new 2D icons than there are to create new 3D models. Provided the game even offers the possibilty.

I wonder why nobody ever provided a "tank builder" for such purpose. There's applications like that for making handguns or naval vessels, but I never saw one for tanks.
Would fit a game like this perfectly. However, I reckon it's dubious whether such feature would be worth the investment. Maybe one day.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Fairly average price for a Matrix/Slitherine game. For years their demo has been office managers and middle/upper middle class types with cash to spare. Simply marketing their games to a more casual audience with access to mom and dad's credit card isn't a bad idea. Crossing over wargame genre to a more mass audience is gonna be more of a question than point-of-sale price margins.

Could be worse. Could be a Battlefront game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom