Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Paper Sorcerer Released

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Bought Paper Sorcerer+soundtrack couple days ago from the dev, feels like a very good game but needs a bit more polishing. UI is sometimes a bit clunky and buttons/graphics in UI are maybe a bit too big couple times (too much scrolling needed). I absolutely love the graphical style and despite some lacking polishing, it's very well done game.
Did you run into any game-breaking bugs or wonky balancing? I am planning to get the game eventually but have hesitated to do so so far, since the game seemed to have quite a number of issues at release.

Not yet, I've only played with couple summons so far so haven't yet gotten to test different kind of henchmen. Haven't seen any game breaking bugs so far with about 3 hours of playing. I'd probably buy it and wait for future patches ;).

V_K

Arcane
Did you run into any game-breaking bugs or wonky balancing? I am planning to get the game eventually but have hesitated to do so so far, since the game seemed to have quite a number of issues at release.
I believe anything gamebreaking was out a couple of patches ago. The worst thing left in the current version is a couple of skills working not quite as intended.

oscar

Arcane
Damn this game is pretty fun. A string of good great sword drops means my vampire does more damage than the rest of the party combined (minotaur, sorcerer, skeleton).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
One thing I don't like so far is that you can hardly read the damage numbers in battle.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Damn this game is pretty fun. A string of good great sword drops means my vampire does more damage than the rest of the party combined (minotaur, sorcerer, skeleton).

That's normal. And you can just ignore using tanks unless you're playing on hardest difficulty/haven't beaten the first boss yet.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Okay, so I finished the latest bug-free build, and you know what - it has the best ending I've seen in RPG in years (if not ever)! Simply brilliant!

I must admit I didn't see that coming. So basically

The real dread sorceress is the rat/chick El that broke you out? and you're essentially some no-name dude/dudette who happened to be awesome enough to beat the shit out of all the guardians? I probably missed way too many journal pages than I should've. Never used those emperor, knave, peasant keys.

Apparently no one else on this planet is playing this game so I guess I'll start another run later with a different party and mage-knight. Just to see those ending blurbs. :P

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Apparently no one else on this planet is playing this game so I guess I'll start another run later with a different party and mage-knight. Just to see those ending blurbs. :P
i'm waiting for the steam release for achievements, trading cards and more patches.
:M

V_K

Arcane
The real dread sorceress is the rat/chick El that broke you out? and you're essentially some no-name dude/dudette who happened to be awesome enough to beat the shit out of all the guardians? I probably missed way too many journal pages than I should've. Never used those emperor, knave, peasant keys.
Not quite. From what I gather (partly from conversations with the dev) Aliel is a sorceress from the days of yore, whose apprentice (I forgot his name) created the book to sneak her out of the country before the authorities got a chance to kill her, but somehow ended up in the book himself (the witchknight guarding block 5). You are an apprentice of a different sorcerer. The heroes mistakenly imprisoned you in the book instead of your master, who perished some time before in an accident involving a djinn and some lousily formulated wishes.

Although my admiration was for the actual ending movie and the slides after, not the way the backstory resolves.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Not quite. From what I gather (partly from conversations with the dev) Aliel is a sorceress from the days of yore, whose apprentice (I forgot his name) created the book to sneak her out of the country before the authorities got a chance to kill her, but somehow ended up in the book himself (the witchknight guarding block 5). You are an apprentice of a different sorcerer. The heroes mistakenly imprisoned you in the book instead of your master, who perished some time before in an accident involving a djinn and some lousily formulated wishes.

Although my admiration was for the actual ending movie and the slides after, not the way the backstory resolves.

I get what you mean about the ending movie and slides, was quite nice I have to say. :)

Oh! That clears things up. I was pretty much rushing towards the end so I didn't put too much thought into it. I confused El's backstory and the Djinn Sorceror fiasco as happening to the same set of characters. So basically we're the 'mediocre' student to the Djinn-wish guy. huh. Bah, so this is what it has come to. I'm talking about the plot and backstory to a fucking blobber.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Bought it. It seems, that game is constantly getting patched. I wonder if saves from 1.8 will work...

vealck

Novice
Probably preaching to the choir here, but everyone who thinks he could be interested in that game, should not hesitate or ponder and... just buy it.
Perhaps most people won't share my sentimentalism, but it's music, graphics and controls system took me back to my childhood spent front of B&W TV plugged into a ZX Spectrum.

It's not much in terms of a game - it's short, simplistic and could have much more better system (but it's still quite fun to play). It's more of an experience, or a piece of art you're getting. An artistically coherent creation done almost solely by one man. And for that, the price is ridiculously low.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
so "shitty game, buy it because it's somewhat pretty"? i think you were looking for this site when you signed up here...

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The game just got updated today. Supposedly the bugged door on 10-1 has been fixed. Also if you play on Steam, the achievements have been updated. For instance if you beat the game on 1980s mode, you will get the achievement for that as well as all the lower difficulty modes.

Grim Monk

Arcane
The game just got updated today. Supposedly the bugged door on 10-1 has been fixed. Also if you play on Steam, the achievements have been updated. For instance if you beat the game on 1980s mode, you will get the achievement for that as well as all the lower difficulty modes.

Any info about updating the non-Steam versions?

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Any info about updating the non-Steam versions?

Not sure, checked the website, twitter and facebook. None of them have been updated since May. Best bet might be to send a message to the developer and see if there is a patch link

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom