Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Paper Sorcerer

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088045881/paper-sorcerer

http://www.ultrarunaway.com/paper-sorcerer.html

https://af.gog.com/game/paper_sorcerer?as=1649904300

Fuck it, decided to start a new thread since I couldn't find a megathread on this and fuck Infinitron (no hate brah):

Playing the shit out of this while my mate is at work and I'm waiting for him so we can play more D:OS. Probably will have more questions, but for now:

1) is there no quicksave function? Going into a menu to save is one oldschool property I could readily do without.

2) Running with Minotaur, Vampire and Ghost as main party. As for XP, will that only go to the active party members?

3) is the Puppet worth it in your minds?

4) How does regeneration work? To me it seems you slowly regen HP and energy out of battle, is that correct? If so, doesn't that mean you can basically just stand around spamming quick heals to essentially regenerate fully after each fight?

Summoning Paper Sorcerer players: Crooked Bee, felipepepe, @Deuce Traveller etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:

handup

Educated
1) not that I know of
2) no, they all level-up
3) no, I tried to play with it, but for anything it could do there was another party member that did it better, imo. I suppose it was a bit fun trying to make builds with it but meh. Vampire is awesome but Minotaur and Ghost seemed rather lackluster to me.
4) yeah, paralyze the monster then spam heal, course you can just return to town at any time and sleep so there isn't much point to it

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What did people invest their money in as far as skills go? I'm doing Energy and stats right now, but I have no idea.

handup

Educated
I just bought energy, magic and HP. Later there are some creatures that can kill your weaker characters in one hit, so unless you feel like grinding a bit in the old man's strange house, you might wanna up your HP so your debuffer doesn't die before paralyzing everyone.

I also bought some weapon damage, but I later realized that the only things that did any damage at later levels were the spells with continual damage, because those ignore armor and the enemies' armor is ridiculously high at later levels. (which means that pretty much the only reliable source of damage is the sorcerer, with the rest being only debuffers/healer.)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
'k

Can you increase difficulty during play? Can't find a way to do it, and I think I chose one too low. I'm cake-walking through this shit atm.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I remember right, you can purchase ability score increases, and I think I primarily went for those and energy boosts when it came to training. Strength increases for my melee characters, for instance. I usually focus on offense rather than defense when I can bump up abilities in a game.

I don't believe you can increase the difficulty during play. I think you have to start a whole new game instead. The nice thing is that you get more XP with a difficulty increase, so you should be able to get to higher levels if you do try again. I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I went with a vampire, witch and golem and did pretty well. I also had a goblin I hardly used, and the puppet who I never finished purchasing good enough equipment for him to be helpful.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Honestly, I still think the higher difficulty levels EXCEPT the last one are still kind of easy, but just more tedious because enemies get big sacks of HP but the battle strategy tends to be the same.

And the last one is just unfair. Have fun reloading the early game chests until you get a good weapon!

One thing I will say about battle strategy is either you go for broke with completely not giving a shit about armor and using only magic attacks (usually DOTs) or do the entire opposite and have 3 people beating down on a dude with physical attacks. I've never really seen any need to mix them and it doesn't seem to work very well. For example, if you have only 1 physical attacker in the group then by the time you broke through someone's armor, he would hopefully be dead from your three other magic characters already.

3) Puppet has some builds that are insane but I don't quite remember what it was. I think it was like... two Executioner Arms build or something? Unless you really don't like your starting choices, I rather pick the Puppet. The Puppet equipment sell for quite a bit of money too and I don't know if you lose those drops if you don't get the puppet so... shrug.

4) You don't regenerate any stats at all in between battle... HOWEVER, once you unlocked the town by finishing the first part, you get a Town Portal sort of item that lets you teleport to town at any time and sleep in your bed for a full health restore. And monsters only respawn in the optional grinding dungeon so you can slowly clear out the dungeon this way. It's very tedious to do this though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What Deuce Traveler said. I went with the Cultist, Goblin and Abomination and didn't really have any problems until I just gave up on the game out of boredom. The Goblin would stun the enemies, followed by the Abomination targeting enemy spellcasters and the Cultist and Sorcerer bringing in the damage. The Cultist was an absolute tank, not once did he go down while I played and an early lucky weapon find meant he was also the primary damage dealer for most of the time. Meanwhile the Goblin was puny and smacked around often.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I tried playing the last difficulty... went as far as the third boss. As TigerKnee said, there's no balance at all, the game simply bosts all enemies and ask you to find a way around them. Which is not via tactics, mind you, but thought grinding and reloading multiple times until you get OP items from chests... no fun, really. In fact, those random items are my main complain about the game, a OP drop at the start of the game can make a entire block a cakewalk.

BTW, my team was Shadow, Skeleton and Vampire. Went really well.

I just started playing it. It's pretty good, but I'm not playing on the hardest difficulty (playing on Hard), and I'm in Block 3. Generally it's not challenging, but the fight at the end of block 2 gave me a little trouble. Solid little dungeon crawler - I like the defense + HP combo. I really like my minotaur - he does insane damage.

I don't know if I was smart with my skill purchases - I'm boosting minotaur and vamp's damage atm and sorcerer's magic, while giving slight boosts to energy (but I should probably do more). Still, really digging it.

Gord

Arcane
So I got Paper Sorcerer a while back and have been playing a bit in between other stuff.

I find it quite nice, but what bugs me is the lack of documentation.
With many attributes and skills it just seems rather unclear how they are working exactly.
Game got some technical issues, too. On Linux (Mint) it's unplayable, in windows there are some annoyances, like missing sound options, settings not saving properly, mouse pointer weirdness.

That aside, it's fun to play (if a bit repetitive sometimes) and can get somewhat challenging after the first few floors, depending on your party.

Anyone knows of some type of wiki or good overview of the rules?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lack of documentation is par for the course in these sorts of games. Another great game cut short by it.

granit

Scholar
So this game is fine, having a good time. Running with shadow, skeleton and the defensive healer. Healer has revive (party is lvl 29-30), I got two seals, blinds, buffs.. but I'm stuck at these two lvl 30+ Samurais. On first turn they can (depending on RNG) cripple my team to very very low HP, on second turn typically someone dies. If I can get seals off quickly at least I can hope to stop the super AoE death attack. But still even their normal "Ghost slash" single target attack kills my super defense skeleton in 2 -3 hits... what the heck am I to do here? Spamming revive potions don't seem to work either.

Puppet is overpowered.

Ghost got gimped. Trolls just suck. Stick with a skeleton or abomination instead.

Werewolves are alright.

Is it only me, or does this game evoke shades of Dark Spire DS!?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished the last difficulty; this game sucks. But it's still entertaining. I'd quit 50% through if I were you, it just gets worse later on.

The second-to-last fight is very entertaining though.

I forgot to mention, forget recruiting a final party member, or something will come along later that will make you regret it.

Puppet becomes extremely powerful later on, and invalidates the use of having a minotaur, though they're a good starting class.

My best hint is to equip the puppet with two separate types of arm, as magic resistance enemies require physical attacks, and physical resistant enemies may require magic attacks. Versatility is key.

When given the choice, take your sorceror down the warrior path, it is a better, more versatile choice. Unless you're playing the final difficulty, best to avoid trolls and goblins, as they're use is limited to synergy with other party members, the same as the ghost before they gimped his resistance to physical damage. The troll is only useful for lowing the defense of the final enemy if you're playing high difficulty, and is otherwise tedious, and the goblin's use is limited to synergy with other classes.

The game was worth $5.00, I don't regret the purchase. I'd give it a 7/10 for a budget title, and comparisons to Dark Spire.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So i've played it, in normal mode, with a skeleton, a witch and a goblin (i used a puppet and a abomination for 1 or 2 fights each).

I think that the game is good because it is properly ambitious and well executed (the difficulty was correct with my team).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Currently playing this game an hour here, and an hour there. Entertaining, but hard for me to be immersed in the game. On level 8 with Skeleton, Minotaur, Vampire as my main party. The only one who is irreplaceable is the skeleton. Just keeps getting better.

Have a cultist, troll, and puppet on the bench. Never rolled them into the party but am keeping them equipped just in case. Also agree on the lack of documentation hurting the game. The magic system is interesting, but would be nice to know what spells you get at each level. It would also be nice to know exactly what the magic skill does. Let's see, I have magic points I use to cast spell. But my magic skill is 85... so... I don't know what.

There are a lot of nice touches. The story and information provided really isn't that bad. The inventory system is as crude as they come, but it's still better than Skyrim's. The party members do feel different and all have different approaches. Getting an achievement for every secret was overkill, but whatever.

Not a graphics whore, but just hard to stay focused on an almost entirely black and white game.

Gulnar

Scholar
Honestly i found the game too easy until samurai started spawning, who proceeded to kill my whole group with two aoe slash. Probably because my party was kinda shitty (skeleton, vampire (who is an excellent dps but a atrocious healer), ghost). Better game than many other, but nothing too fancy.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is there no way to mute the game music? The general exploration music is laugh out loud bad, and most of the battle tracks aren't much better.

edit: NVM windows volume mixer setting is close enough

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I had trouble making my party survive towards the end but then i noticed that the one that always survive at the end is the imp. Overall at the end he was the tank. Tanking better then the tank X_X

If you play the game old-school, you will require a troll or imp to lower end-boss resistance. In casual playthroughs, they are utterly useless in comparison to the skeleton, abomination, or ghost. Vampires, arguably, are one of the most interesting classes, and werewolves seem to be a staple, as are minotaurs, in the beginning, until the puppet becomes utterly overpowered, and they lose utility. Shadow is a glass-cannon.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You just know that shit sold 10x what PS did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom