Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox announces Stellaris - a sci-fi grand strategy game

kris

Arcane
My neighbours don't seem all that friendly though. Says something like "Fanatical Purifier" on the description. That can't be good, right?
It doesnt translate into anything in the game and thats one of the big problem with this game, you could be very well declared as rival by some pacifist alien dwelling on the other side of the galaxy but the militaristic xenophobe ones no doing anything at all . That all sounds very great on the paper but nothing works .

i haven't put much thought into it, but I believe it is close to CK2 trait system that some of these just mean "like/dislike" bonuses and dont really affect their behaviour.

Mortmal

Arcane
So . . . wait until DLC fixes it, then? :(

Or patches. AI issues is clearly a patch thing and DLC mighy instead introduce new AI problems.
A lot of it , by then its likely the complete and fully enjoyable stellaris will be available at -75% or 5 euros on humble bundle. They get away with it really easy cause the paradox crowd are die hard fanboys, but its really comparable to rome 2 release.

Prime Junta

its really comparable to rome 2 release

Uh, no. Not even close. Rome 2 on release was borderline unplayable, this is just somewhat bare-bones and boring, and most of the "boring" could be fixed by AI improvements.

kris

Arcane
So . . . wait until DLC fixes it, then? :(

Or patches. AI issues is clearly a patch thing and DLC mighy instead introduce new AI problems.
A lot of it , by then its likely the complete and fully enjoyable stellaris will be available at -75% or 5 euros on humble bundle. They get away with it really easy cause the paradox crowd are die hard fanboys, but its really comparable to rome 2 release.

they also have something close to a monopoly with most of their games.

Mortmal

Arcane
Uh, no. Not even close. Rome 2 on release was borderline unplayable, this is just somewhat bare-bones and boring, and most of the "boring" could be fixed by AI improvements.
Maybe, but i have the same feeling...
they also have something close to a monopoly with most of their games.
Thats why i am so angry , it was one of the last bastion of games i like. Now its the beggining of the end, more rushed , more mainstream and more expensive.Remember the costs of last eu4 dlcs too for very little content.

Prime Junta

Okay, had my first interesting game.

Interesting as in, I lost.

Started with a slightly customised human Sol. Was cruising along nicely, carving out a mini-empire for myself in one of the galactic spiral arms, with a nice bit of space between my two rather weak neighbours and another one which looked about the same.

Turns out that other one hated my guts and had a significant tech advantage -- either it had research much faster than me or it had an Advanced Start. It declared war and started stomping around my empire with a death stack three times stronger than anything I could muster. I attempted to counter by raiding its infrastructure, but it caught up with me and wiped out my puny little navy before I could escape. Its war aims? Liberate a couple of planets and cede Sol.

Wasn't much I could do about that, so eh.

But, honestly, I had fun there for a bit.

Still, either I'm missing something or combat really is a bit of a brute-force affair -- you build your death stack, they build theirs, and whoever comes out on top wins. Not much room for defensive tactics or such methinks.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Well it matters what weapons/armor you use, for example if you are using only shields no PD and the enemy has torpedoes they will have a field day.

Prime Junta

Okay, got a bit further. I'm now in mid-game. Fought three victorious wars, one defensive, two offensive. Gained two vassals, one of whom likes me, the other who doesn't, and cut down a nasty rival to size.

This part is clearly more interesting as I can't just faceroll everybody; digesting my conquests is properly challenging. There's a looot of complexity unfolding now, as I try to keep my unwilling vassals loyal and slice up my too-big-to-swallow rival neighbours into smaller bits. The idea of conquering the entire galaxy seems properly daunting.

I really don't dig the doomstack-vs-doomstack combat though; it's really set up in such a way that fights are always to the death. I thought I was being clever by splitting my fleet into two and doing some fancy manoeuvring to lure the tech-equivalent enemy's doomstack right into mine, but I just ended up losing my diversionary force. So I just ended up beating him into submission by brute force.

I also think the sector implementation is bad. Not in that sectors themselves are bad -- microing planets gets old fast -- but I hate that there's an influence cost for removing planets from sections, and I hate that I can't just make them supply strategic resources to each other. Now I understand how I should've played the sector game, but it's kind of too late, so maybe I'll start another game for that.

But all in all, this picked up a lot from the early game.

B0rt

Novice
lovin' this polite little side thread. ATM Stellaris is unofficially in early beta and should be a great game in about a year after it's done being playtested & plot content has been finished. There's only placeholder rival AI for now, so you should be able to kick major ass once you've got the mechanics figured out. The sector mechanics will get hammered out soon I'd bet, no worries, there's already mods out if you want to fuss with it right away.

The current build seems to suffer from an odd donut gap of content-- nearer endgame some scripted stuff seems to fire up and it can get interesting again. Not guaranteed, though.

Without getting too specific or spoilery, I got to ask -- has anyone seen any fallen empires butt heads with some of the possible endgame, uhh, problems? It seems like something that might come up but I'm not sure how to phrase my googles... guess I can play a game or two more and find out for myself, but I'd rather wait for a more mature build before another playthru.

Paid $28 for this, it's good for maybe 30-40 fun hrs in current state, so marginal value but hardly a fiasco.
Civ 4 was bleh at release but tons better a year later, so looking forward to this aging like a fine wine cheese.

Prime Junta

lovin' this polite little side thread. ATM Stellaris is unofficially in early beta

Hardly early beta. It's quite stable and entirely playable, even enjoyable. But yeah, it does need work.

jungl

Augur
I came to the conclusion that stellaris sucks after putting lot of hours in it. Really easy to build up a godlike army and conqueor the universe but it feels pointless and very boring. I say the game is not even worth 5 dollar bin in its current state. I recommend people to play the old star wars rts games released on pc which are VASTLY superior games.

All Scandinavian video game companies are shit and one trick ponies. Paradox can only make gimicky map games and ccp games only eve online funcom dead on arrival mmorpgs.

B0rt

Novice
...but CK2 was really very good. Nothing else quite like it on the market.

Also simply publishing Cities:Skylines gets Paradox some serious leeway... that's from a Finnish developer, though, so arguably doesn't qualify as a Scandinavian game. But I thought we were rewarding Finns with honorary Scandinavian status in exchange for them being the least hated ethnicity on the planet.

Luzur

Good Sir
Okay, got a bit further. I'm now in mid-game. Fought three victorious wars, one defensive, two offensive. Gained two vassals, one of whom likes me, the other who doesn't, and cut down a nasty rival to size.

This part is clearly more interesting as I can't just faceroll everybody; digesting my conquests is properly challenging. There's a looot of complexity unfolding now, as I try to keep my unwilling vassals loyal and slice up my too-big-to-swallow rival neighbours into smaller bits. The idea of conquering the entire galaxy seems properly daunting.

I really don't dig the doomstack-vs-doomstack combat though; it's really set up in such a way that fights are always to the death. I thought I was being clever by splitting my fleet into two and doing some fancy manoeuvring to lure the tech-equivalent enemy's doomstack right into mine, but I just ended up losing my diversionary force. So I just ended up beating him into submission by brute force.

I also think the sector implementation is bad. Not in that sectors themselves are bad -- microing planets gets old fast -- but I hate that there's an influence cost for removing planets from sections, and I hate that I can't just make them supply strategic resources to each other. Now I understand how I should've played the sector game, but it's kind of too late, so maybe I'll start another game for that.

But all in all, this picked up a lot from the early game.

Yeah, no room for fancy dancing by luring out the enemy fleet with a little 4 ship scout troop into an asteroid feild where your dreadnought Bismark class 16 is hiding, just cruise the whole gang into their system and just park them for a slog.

Luzur

Good Sir
I came here for a derailed shit storm about Freedom of Speech and White Supremacist mods.. wtf is this shit about game mechanics and strategy..?

Good Day Sirs!

Eh, the patched mod for that is out so just DL it and play normal white conquerers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom