Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Paradox Interactive Interview: Answers from Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Paradox Interactive

Paradox Interactive is the studio that's been bringing us classics like the Europe Universalis, Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron games. The last few years they went from simply making grognard wargaming and strategy titles to launch their own digital distribution platform and publishing a broad selection of other niche oriented gaming titles. All that was enough reason for us to try and get someone to talk about how the heck a small Swedish studio could grow into this behemoth and what the plans for the future are. Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development made some room in his busy schedule of trying to take over the world to talk to us for a bit.

Paradox Interactive has been around since 1998, right? That’s quite a legacy for a developer. One that has also been more and more successful during these last years. Could you tell us a bit about where Paradox Interactive comes from and where it is heading?

Paradox started off as most developers do - a small team with a weird little game that few others understood. At that time, the company worked with other publishers for marketing/sales/distribution of our games. After a while we realized they weren't really "getting" our games and were pushing them in the same way they would other mainstream titles. So when we finally had a bit of money and could hire another team member the dev team screamed for a new AI programmer. Fredrik Wester, now our CEO, overruled them and hired a marketing person. The devs were naturally fuming and uttered what since has become historical words at Paradox: "who needs marketing - a good game sells itself".

Well, that day Paradox became a publisher and things have pointed upwards ever since. It turns out that understanding what makes a game different from the competition allowed Paradox to better market the games. As they grew as a publisher, they had to start small and publish other 3rd party games that also were "niche". All the games weren't good - but once in a while they made enough money to snowball into bigger and better projects. Thanks to a few runaway hits (and a few solid ones) Paradox today is in a position where we only do projects we really believe in - if it's something we'd enjoy ourselves as niche gamers we know that our crowd will probably like it as well. Going forwards Paradox will continue what we've done all these years - we'll make smart, different and challenging games that demand a lot from the gamers - who in turn demand a lot from the games.​

Read the full Paradox Interactive Interview: Answers from Shams Jorjani, VP of Business Development

Fens

Ford of the Llies
how about asking some actual questions then... fucking hell, trash... don't go so soft on 'em

ask why buying a complete ck2 package would by now exceed 100$... ask where their dlc-milking is going... ask if their bugsquishing department could please PLEASE treat unbalanced new shit as bugs

meh... i should eat something... i'm always grumpy, when i'm hungry

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I really wish they actually adhered to some standard of quality. I mean, releasing a game half-assed and then patching it for a year is something you can afford to do once, maybe twice if you really screw up. Paradox has pretty much made it their practice which should be embarrassing, even considering they're making grand strategy games which carry a certain layer of complexity. Step it up Paradox, it's 2013.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
fucking hell, trash

Since Paradox has grown and changed a lot in recent years we decided to focus the interview in the direction of publishing and actually got some good and straightforward replies to the stuff we asked. Regarding the questions we send I asked for help in the forums and used quite a few of those provided by other posters. Not to mention the recruitment drive for staff that's already been held recently. If you're willing to help out lemme know.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wish they were more selective on what they published/what studios they supported. Ino-Co is pretty solid but it seems like most of their products are on shoe string budgets which result in half-baked results full of bugs and unrealized potential. If they had more money for Warlock it could have been a great game instead of just 'okay.' Unfortunately you have money going into shit like Defenders of Ardania (Most Wanted Entertainment), Dungeonland (Critical Studio), Impire (Cynanide Montreal), and Pirates of Black Cove (Nitro Games).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ar-Cancer.&p=15184677&highlight=#post15184677

This is surprising. One of the devs finds it in himself to cast doubt on the interview. At the very least contradicting things Shams himself said.The interview was arranged through Paradox's own pr and send in the answers to our questions themselves. I'm kinda puzzled to be frank.

EDIT: He got back to me. Says Shams didn't have his facts straight concerning that quote as he wasn't there back in the day. Guess we got some free insight in internal dynamics at Paradox here.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nah, I was just puzzled by the guy's remarks. Now it just turns out to be a developer grumbling about a newbie marketing peep. That he did so publicly does say something of how things roll internally there though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, they never did strike me as a wellspring of stability and good hires in the management side. This Joe F guy they had producing Dungeonland and Impire did a pretty terrible job... not that the third party developers were that great to being with... but that just goes back to my point that they need to be more selective on what they fund/publish.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Going forwards Paradox will continue what we've done all these years - we'll make smart, different and challenging games that demand a lot from the gamers

Like buying 20 shitty DLCs so you won't have black squares replacing graphics everywhere.

hakuroshi

Augur
So when we finally had a bit of money and could hire another team member the dev team screamed for a new AI programmer. Fredrik Wester, now our CEO, overruled them and hired a marketing person.
Mystery solved!

Edit:
Nah, I was just puzzled by the guy's remarks. Now it just turns out to be a developer grumbling about a newbie marketing peep. That he did so publicly does say something of how things roll internally there though.
That was the Johan Andersson, not just "some developer". I guess, he can allow to express himself without much discretion :)

hakuroshi

Augur
I don't think they have anything common with gamersgate now. And gamersgate sell a lot of steam games, so they'll still probably distribute EU4, so no loss for Paradox.

Edit: Also Paradox put up their own shop a few months ago, everything there is steam-requiring . So no more Gamersgate I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom