Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox Interactive RPG Survey

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
depends on the gm. The system was redesigned to allow for easier cross-splat play, but also it was fully placed into the GM's hands everything. You can run "vampire" games where only the PCs are vampires

That seems quite reasonable. Would also give people developing vidya games full license to pick and choose the bits that they like from the world.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Done... I only wish and hope that the game is atleast ok... But i'm worried that it will fail to live up to that even.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Completed, and subtly steered my answers towards showing demand for a turn-based PoE sequel with a better story and mechanics. I felt slightly queasy answering questions about ME2 as I couldn't shake the feeling that they really want to make a game like this and were judging the demand. I actually like ME2 (gameplay not story) but they don't have to know that. :obviously:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Answered all questions, tried to be as monocled as possible. Also said them plain to the face that I wish they don't ruin this with their stupid DLC politics.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
If the new Masquarade game will be at least as fun as Redemption it will be worth the wait. I doubt it will get even remotely close to Bloodlines greatness though.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Inb4 Codex gets blacklisted by Paradox by letting out their secret work on new vampire gaem

The only surefire way to shut us up would be to place us under a formal NDA, preferably as part of a hands-on demo.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My top preferences for a new masquerade game would be:

1. First person
2. Real time combat
3. Single protagonist instead of party
4. Open world
5. Hardcore survival mechanics, including sunlight, hunger, hunting, etc

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

1. First person
2. Real time combat
4. Open world

Ok, but if there's a lot of melee weapons, how do you do combat? Melee combat requires a 3d person camera for gameplay where you can fight against multiple enemies, dodge them, etc - meaning you need to see them, meaning a 3d person camera. The only good first person melee combat I know of is Chivalry, but it's more oriented towards 1v1 and it's chaotic (which works well, considering the idea behind the game) when there's more people involved.

How do you propose to resolve this?

VTMB realized this and they switched camera for melee combat, but to me it seems like running away from the problem.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Third person camera will never give the degree of immersion you get from the first person camera. You walk around fully immersed, then suddenly you're in a 3d person view because somebody jumped you. It's awkward at the very least, switching that is. It's almost like 2 different genres inside the same game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I wouldn't go so far as to say it completely broke the immersion, but it did feel weird. I think there may be better ways, was hoping to discuss them.

Athelas

Arcane
First-person melee combat can be done well, as evidenced by Dark Messiah and Condemned. Switching to 3rd person for melee combat means that you have to do a lot of extra work to develop for two differences perspectives, which is obviously a strain on development resources. Bloodlines is probably a good example of that.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I was so unimmersed by the VTMB camera that I haven't even played the game yet.

Delterius

Arcane
Personally, the real concern isn't immersion but rather if Bloodlines' combat could be improved that way it was. If they had to pick a camera mode and stick with it in order to make a better game, then so be it. Dark Messiah is a good example of fun first person melee though, to be honest, I didn't do much melee in that game aside from kicking orcs into traps. I guess Dishonored is decent enough. Third person ranged combat is passable too, Dragon's Dogma did it while dialogue sequences are done in first person. Sort of.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First person melee can work. It worked in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and in Dishonored it was acceptable, imo. Field of view is very important here. If it isn't good, it ruins the whole thing.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Dark Messiah's combat was fun, but it wasn't skill based, it was just #yolo. Same thing for Dishonored. If you block in Dishonored, which is very easy to do, then you had free attacks while the enemy was "recovering" (you on the other hand had no recovery).

I was hoping for a skill based melee combat for vtmb2, something along the lines of Witcher 3 difficulty-wise.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Them Riddick games had fairly good first person melee combat i've heard, don't know for mesen though cos I can't stand Vin Diesel.

Took survey, got spellchecker out an wrote posh, finished up with: Accessibility is out of control, and ruining challenge. There is hardly any attrition in any RPG. Games from twenty plus years ago such as the Ultimas provide better realised and more living worlds than modern ones. Features such as NPC routines, environmental interaction, and game changing spell effects should be standard by now rather than forgotten and abandoned in favour of boring MMO mechanics. The tyranny of loot harvesting is a cheap Skinner box mechanic that needs to be changed, give me hand placed thematically relevant and interesting treasures rather than copy pasted trash.

Sound right monocled if I do say so mesen.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Messiah's combat was fun, but it wasn't skill based, it was just #yolo. Same thing for Dishonored. If you block in Dishonored, which is very easy to do, then you had free attacks while the enemy was "recovering" (you on the other hand had no recovery).

I was hoping for a skill based melee combat for vtmb2, something along the lines of Witcher 3 difficulty-wise.
I don't know many developers that could pull it off, to be honest. Certainly not Obsidian, and I like them.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

1. First person
2. Real time combat
4. Open world

Ok, but if there's a lot of melee weapons, how do you do combat? Melee combat requires a 3d person camera for gameplay where you can fight against multiple enemies, dodge them, etc - meaning you need to see them, meaning a 3d person camera. The only good first person melee combat I know of is Chivalry, but it's more oriented towards 1v1 and it's chaotic (which works well, considering the idea behind the game) when there's more people involved.

How do you propose to resolve this?

VTMB realized this and they switched camera for melee combat, but to me it seems like running away from the problem.

It's possible to have first person combat, and have it feel very good, Dark Messiah is bestest example.

Concerning the skill based combat, you could link combat skill to flourishes, finishing moves, and having the enemies block low skill melee combat animations.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Every time someone claims that mounted combat is impossible to do right or that first-person melee is impossible, I'm reminded that a bunch of fucking Turks made the first version of Mount & Blade ten years ago. It's not even the only example.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Paradox published Obsidian developed WoD game with ruleset balanced, reformed and improved by Josh Sawyer.

OH MY GOD ITS HEAVAN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom