Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox is the best company ever :love:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what are the Paradox games like? I'm thinking of the Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings games. For one who much prefers turn based strategy, how "bad" is the real time aspect of their game? I know it's pausable.

The reason I'm asking is that they are not on GOG, but Gamersgate are still selling DRM free versions of all/most of their games, and with Paradox Games apparantly going Steam only, it may be worth getting the games from Gamersgate when I still have the chance.

Destroid

Arcane
So what are the Paradox games like? I'm thinking of the Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings games. For one who much prefers turn based strategy, how "bad" is the real time aspect of their game? I know it's pausable.

The reason I'm asking is that they are not on GOG, but Gamersgate are still selling DRM free versions of all/most of their games, and with Paradox Games apparantly going Steam only, it may be worth getting the games from Gamersgate when I still have the chance.

The RT aspect is not a problem at all, because of the slow pace. Probably EU3 is the easiest title to get to grips with.

oscar

Arcane
For one who much prefers turn based strategy, how "bad" is the real time aspect of their game?

You'll be fine, and this is from someone who fucking hates RTwP. First thing you should do upon starting though is set notifications for things like battle started, battle won, battle lost, army arrives, sliders can be changed etc etc to 'notify player and pause'. How it usually works out is that you have the game on a fast speed during peace time and then crank things down during war.

The ones on steam are also DRM free. Or maybe there is something but it doesn't require steam to be running to play.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Stop being a whiny bitch and install Steam.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Stop being a whiny bitch and install Steam.

The Steam only games I'm interested in are at the very bottom of my play list.
When I have played every single game before them, then I'll install Steam.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The ones on steam are also DRM free. Or maybe there is something but it doesn't require steam to be running to play.
Yep, they are. You just need to download them via Steam (and maybe run once, idk) and then you can just copy game folder wherever, including another PC without steam and play it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

I could never get into it.

doggfookker

Educated
motherfuckers I have been playing these paradox games non-stop recently :love:

Other than Crusader Kings II, I have no idea what I'm doing. I hear HoI2 is superior to 3; is that shit a fact?

Also, are there any games set during the cold war? Official, mod or otherwise? I got a wicked hankering for some AMERICA versus commie scum type of shit.

Eyeball

Arcane
Soured considerably on Paradox Grand Strategy games since Vicky 2. The pace is slow, micromanagement severe, interfaces clunky and far too often the games revolve around "play a major nation or be prepared to sit around researching the 1st tech for ten years while waiting for Great Britain to invade you and game over you in 50 seconds."

They may be historically interesting, but I just don't enjoy them. I like my games to be more, well, "gamey."

Notorious

Augur
Joined them back in 2003. I loved EU2 and CK to death.

They made many amazing games and I played pretty much all of them, wasted 100s of hours.

But their DLC policy really sucks. HoI 3 only became playable after the first one and they never fixed the AI (I invaded the UK once and they defended it with a single Garrison and that was with 3 DLC in place). 20€ for a DLC with that little content is plain bad.

With CK 2 it just became ridiculous. I hope they come back to their roots (Releasing 8 or so Patches for EU 2) and if not that they make content worth the price (And not fucking music pieces)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Other than Crusader Kings II, I have no idea what I'm doing. I hear HoI2 is superior to 3; is that shit a fact?
No that's total bullshit. The only thing HoI2 had better is the selection of total conversion mods (now converted to Darkest Hour, which is an engine-upgraded HoI2).

Soured considerably on Paradox Grand Strategy games since Vicky 2. The pace is slow, micromanagement severe, interfaces clunky and far too often the games revolve around "play a major nation or be prepared to sit around researching the 1st tech for ten years while waiting for Great Britain to invade you and game over you in 50 seconds."

They may be historically interesting, but I just don't enjoy them. I like my games to be more, well, "gamey."
Well, I have fought Vicky 2 tooth and nail to make it less of a GP playground, mostly with barely any success at all. Of course, alternatively you can just cheat like a motherfucker until you can actually do shit. Still, generally the problem is that only HoI has a combat model where planning and strategy matter more than numbers and technology.

Well, they're not really RTS in the traditional sense. Most of the time you pause the game and set up everything you do, and the game handles all calculations and decisions on a time format (you could say 1 day = 1 turn in most of them).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Paradox is a very shitty and greedy company.
To put it simply - CK2 has 21 DLCs. And every 4 out of 5 are horse armor. You even have to pay for flags they cut out from the game or face black logos. And then ruler editor that only affects a starting ruler - you should pay for it too.
Tired of the same 3 music tracks? Pay.

Even THE Horse Armor Company, Bethesda, doesn't pull shit like that since Oblivion.

And the ever annoying historical accuracy. Back in HoI2 days they released DLCs that at least gave you freedom in how you play within what was possible during WW2 (and beyond). With HoI3 it's absolute historical rails. And if at least in vanilla you could begin a war with, say, US - in the expansions Paradox made sure that is no longer possible. Allies will never be able to fight Comintern without the game exploding from a bug overload. What? Some players are tired from same shitty 1st sep 39 event and the invasion of Normandy in every scenario? Some players complain that when USSR takes almost all Europe and Germany capitulates they get historical borders instead of what they conquered? Fuck them.

The only good thing about Paradox is that their devs are still talented and can do good gameplay which still matters.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Modern Day Scenario for Darkest Hour/HoI2--any good?
The GDP event system is too cumbersome for its own good, and it has serious problems with representing any non-majors.

Also, are there any games set during the cold war? Official, mod or otherwise? I got a wicked hankering for some AMERICA versus commie scum type of shit.

Answering my own question:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west-a-hearts-of-iron-game#about_game-tab

Made by the same dudes who did Arsenal of Democracy, which is supposed to be pretty good, right?
Arsenal of Democracy was decent, but lacked the engine upgrades of Darkest Hour. But compared to DH, the actual new gameplay was better.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Answering my own question:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west-a-hearts-of-iron-game#about_game-tab

Made by the same dudes who did Arsenal of Democracy, which is supposed to be pretty good, right?

Yep AoD allowed for more freedom than HoI2 and it looks like guys will do the same here but on a larger scale. 1946-1991 and not just modded gameplay within HoI2 timeline. I just hope they will pull it off with proxy wars and shit and not just Korea-Vietnam-Afgahnistan rails since I really hope that other nations but US and USSR will be 'playable'.

After the disappointment of Their Finest Hour (which was supposed to loosen rails but instead just added an utterly useless gimmick) I look forward to EvW more than to any other upcoming game made by Paradox.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
If anyone wants a cd-key, PM me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom