Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox is the best company ever :love:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Engine is the same, games are very different unless you count being in the same genre as samey... going by this way of thinking all shooters are the same.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Paradox entertainments approach to DLC is right up there with EA on the Jew-o-meter. I'm done buying their games until they're on a 75%+ off sale as a direct result of how many should-have-been-core things CK2 held off for later nickel and diming.

While their games are moderately entertaining, too few improvements are made between iterations in their franchises. Especially when you consider how much of their codebase appears to be reused between their various franchises.

Paradox has been resting on its laurels for too long.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paradox entertainments approach to DLC is right up there with EA on the Jew-o-meter. I'm done buying their games until they're on a 75%+ off sale as a direct result of how many should-have-been-core things CK2 held off for later nickel and diming.

Could you give me an example of such thing?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Paradox games just aren't that challenging or strategic once you understand the mechanics.

And understanding the mechanics requires reading stuff on the internet, because in game explanations are inadequate or misleading.

So playing Paradox games basically consists of researching the mechanics on the internet, then going "oh, this is kind of boring" after a couple of games.

Unless you like sandbox games... I do not.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Or, alternatively, you could spare yourself spoilers and enjoy the movie as it is. Its not fair to complain about the ending when you knew what it will be from the beginning.

Or are you perhaps playing some kind of competitive SP?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So the shitty documentation is a core gameplay element in a paradox game?

A46JK.gif

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So the shitty documentation is a core gameplay element in a paradox game?

Shitty how? Everything I ever needed I found by hovering my mouse over the thing I wanted to know about. Sorry that I dont have assburgers and dont feel the need to play PERFECTLY. In a sp game no less. Without competent AI.

Also from certain points of view lack of documentation serves to reinforce the rpg aspect of those games. When you play as the ruler not player. Dont think you know what Im talking about.

I like Paradox, but I hope someone else enters the Grand Strategy field to compete with them. Its niche, but its growing. Essentially, I want to see more thinking heads take on the genre, and take risks and ideas that Paradox probably would't do.
This.

It shows that paradox is entering the massive decline period, what with the EU3 and CK2 DLC and patches sold like expansions. (everything after In Nomine)

Their best asset is their modders, the guys who develop stuff like darkest hour and EvW. Paradox devs are largely incompetent.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I find it funny that a Linuxtard would complain about documentation and interfaces...

First thing linuxtards learn is to read the documentation that comes with everything. And when did I ever complain about the UI?

Corporate Jew Master has the right of it. Paradox developed a couple of decent games, then rehashed them over and over while relying on modders to bring interesting gameplay to their products. The current stance on having DLC take up 300% of the base game cost if people want the complete product coupled with the fact that they are extremely slow to bring innovation into their products makes OPs claim that they are the best company ever laughable.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It shows that paradox is entering the massive decline period, what with the EU3 and CK2 DLC and patches sold like expansions. (everything after In Nomine)
Entering? It started with paid patches and moved towards free patches with DLC that only serves the purpose of allowing you to take control of the new faction features within the patch. That is most certainly incline.

I find it funny that a Linuxtard would complain about documentation and interfaces...
First thing linuxtards learn is to read the documentation that comes with everything. And when did I ever complain about the UI?
Most documentation found in open source software is terribly represented, albeit in sometimes great detail. Complaining about a lack of documentation is indirectly a complaint about the interface. The only reason you need documentation is when the interface doesn't help you.

Entering? It started with paid patches and moved towards free patches with DLC that only serves the purpose of allowing you to take control of the new faction features within the patch. That is most certainly incline.
So unlocking those factions one by one and charging you 5.00 euros for each one is good? With expansions like Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind that ultimately do nothing about the AI and only add a few boring gimmicks such as CHINESE FACTIONS GUISE SO THRILLING and are sold for 20 euros each? Fucking In Nomine mods did a 1000% better job at improving the game and were totally free to download.

Not to mention how bad their games are at launch. Even HOI3, the only paradox game with a good take on warfare, took 2 patches-expansions to be fixed. Before that you had tank hordes doing battle everywhere because terrain modifiers didn't matter to them.

Paradox are incompetents and all they have to show for their efforts are good games that they themselves did not develop and a CK2 that took 30 DLC to become mildly interesting. I bet Johan has a painting of Kotick on his bedroom wall and prays to receive his ble$$ing every night before bedtime.

I dare the naysayers of Paradox's supremacy to name something that's better in regards to strategy or grand strategy. I can't wait to hear it.
Aurora.
Heck, even Distant Worlds.

As for wargames, AGEOD's Hannibal and Rome shits on them from great height. The best A.I. I've ever faced.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Paradox are incompetents and all they have to show for their efforts are good games that they themselves did not develop and a CK2 that took 30 DLC to become mildly interesting. I bet Johan has a painting of Kotick on his bedroom wall and prays to receive his ble$$ing every night before bedtime.

Im sorry, what now? You need graphic gimmick-dlcs to enjoy the game fully?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
So unlocking those factions one by one and charging you 5.00 euros for each one is good? With expansions like Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind that ultimately do nothing about the AI and only add a few boring gimmicks such as CHINESE FACTIONS GUISE SO THRILLING and are sold for 20 euros each? Fucking In Nomine mods did a 1000% better job at improving the game and were totally free to download.
Charging you $5 for unlocking a new faction with all new mechanics (which are already implemented for the AI in the accompanying patch) after selling you the game for $20? Yes. That is incline and well worth it.

EUIII was still part of the pay for patch cycle, so I don't see how referencing that supports your argument that the DLC model is worse. I'm sure you'll be able to swing it though.

I'm not sure what mods have to do with anything? Because having mods at all is incline and CKII has better mod support than any of their games.

Im sorry, what now? You need graphic gimmick-dlcs to enjoy the game fully?

Legacy of Rome
Republics
Sword of Islam
the pagan shit that will follow
even stuff like sunset invasion
heck, even ruler designer for 5 yuros

Lately Pdox hasn't been able to do shit. Same thing with Sword of the Stars, a game that they themselves published and still hasn't been fixed. But hey, new enchanced edition is now out, with a bunch of useless shit that improve nothing and a ton of bugs still up the ass.

They are like Midas, everything they touch they try to turn into a jewgold milking machine.

Charging you $5 for unlocking a new faction with all new mechanics (which are already implemented for the AI in the accompanying patch) after selling you the game for $20? Yes. That is incline and well worth it.

EUIII was still part of the pay for patch cycle, so I don't see how referencing that supports your argument that the DLC model is worse. I'm sure you'll be able to swing it though.

I'm not sure what mods have to do with anything? Because having mods at all is incline and CKII has better mod support than any of their games.

Keep spending your money and expecting more shit games from paradox then. I'm pretty sure EU4 will be just as good as it's tech demo, March of the Eagles, is.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I dare the naysayers of Paradox's supremacy to name something that's better in regards to strategy or grand strategy. I can't wait to hear it.
Aurora.

As for wargames, AGEOD's Hannibal and Rome shits on them from great height. The best A.I. I've ever faced.

You've been exposed as a turn-based strategy fag. Let's go on a rampage and see who can enforce their opinion the loudest. MY GAEM'S BETER THAN YOOS.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys seriously want to tell me that Paradox games are declining in... what exactly? Surely not quality?

I played EU1. I played HoI1 and CK1. And gosh, those games were HORRIBLE at release. Literally NO AI at all. Not very developed too. Lots of bugs and crashes. Shit wasnt even mod friendly then so mods werent very advanced too. But they brought something new and I loved them.

EU2 was at best an expansion to EU1 but it started improving on the concept. Still events were copy pasted from wikipedia and it was very railroaded. Some people liked Austria inheriting Bohemia after 100 years of war and hatred between the two, well, their call. Some people liked two province Poland getting monster Lithuania too. Called it "historical". Like if a game can be historical once you start playing it.

Then we had HoI2 and its glorified patches called "expansions". Armageddon anyone? You seriously cant remember that? EU3 wasnt better. At release I was disgusted by its state. But it has truly matured.

And what we get now? CK2 playable at release (notable bugged mongol invasion, no idea how that slipped through testing), Vicky 2 expanding on Vicky 1 and also very playable (if slow and with crude economy). CK2 getting more stuff in FREE patches. I havent bought a single dlc and I'm getting loads of new things no charge. Mods can do a lot.

Seriously, please argue how Paradox games are worse than they used to be. I'm waiting. Which game is worse than its predecessor.

Aurora.

You've been exposed as a turn-based strategy fag. Let's go on a rampage and see who can enforce their opinion the loudest. MY GAEM'S BETER THAN YOOS.

You asked for opinions, I gave them. Darkest Hour and HOI3 are still my favourite grand strat games. One was not developed by paradox, the other is only good because of the wargame approach they took towards the gameplay. HOI3 still suffers from being on rails and receiving the paradox seal of quality, namely 10 expansions and 30 DLC to fix.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
HoI3 was playable after 1.03 patch. The expansions made it loads and loads better, true, but claiming that tanks ignored terrain modifiers in vanilla is just the same fake bullshit that has been thrown at Pdox since forever. Waiting for sheek and that other retard to come back with their copy&pasted arguments from release day. As much as I enjoy hyperbole, please ditch it at the door if you intend to have a serious discussion. Or we can all just LARP being Skyway and go HUEHUEHUEHUE.

I agree that competition on the grand strategy level would do good for them but bitching about Paradox and their business model, when we have Creative Assembly and Matrix Games as far, far worse candidates, is like bitching about stepping on dog shit while your house is burning down. Have some perspective.

Also, HoI3 vanilla wasn't on rails at all. It was entirely possible to have USA join Axis before declaring war on Poland for wacky WW2. Majority of their fanbase hated it, so they turned down the sandboxiness in the expansions.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not to mention if HoI3 didn't have the certain key events taking place, you would have a pretty boring game if the "Germany VS Everyone Else, part deux" grand slam didn't happen.

The main problem in HoI3 is that the game is too easy for anyone EXCEPT the Axis usual suspects, with the Soviet Union being particularly easymode. AKA, HoI3 being Nazi Germany VS The World: The Game.

Btw, has everyone noticed that ICE has been updated to work with the latest version of Finest Hour? I haven't tried it yet, but ICE was extremely good back before For The Motherland (not sure if the guys who now update it ever did a FTM version), and gets special mention for putting a bit of extra effort to the minors relevant to the war (not to mention making them all a lot more viable in general, Finland for example gets a lot more Rare Materials along with some twenty extra IC).

HoI3 was playable after 1.03 patch. The expansions made it loads and loads better, true, but claiming that tanks ignored terrain modifiers in vanilla is just the same fake bullshit that has been thrown at Pdox since forever.

I remember playing HOI3 vanilla with a friend and laughing about how my armor horde was beating mountain divisions at the carpathians. Without an overwhelming numerical advantage. 4 brigades of armor per division and you could destroy everything.

Also, HoI3 vanilla wasn't on rails at all. It was entirely possible to have USA join Axis before declaring war on Poland for wacky WW2. Majority of their fanbase hated it, so they turned down the sandboxiness in the expansions.

I mostly played HOI3 after Semper Fi, due to what I mentioned above and for some other personal reasons. And I mostly played it multiplayer with some of my friends. But hell, HOI3 is a recipe for an on-rails wargame with some grand strat gimmicks. And it's so hard to mod no one bothered to do anything with it.

I agree that competition on the grand strategy level would do good for them but bitching about Paradox and their business model, when we have Creative Assembly and Matrix Games as far, far worse candidates, is like bitching about stepping on dog shit while your house is burning down. Have some perspective.

I say things the way I see them. Simply because some companies enjoy uberjewing their customers more than Paradox doesn't make them a good company. They have proven time and time again that they are incompetent and that the only way to fully enjoy their games is to check whether the modding community is active and buy them 1~2 years after release. Except for EvW that's what I'm gonna do from now on.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I remember playing HOI3 vanilla with a friend and laughing about how my armor horde was beating mountain divisions at the carpathians. Without an overwhelming numerical advantage. 4 brigades of armor per division and you could destroy everything.

MTN has a weaker Hard Attack than INF, so it's already weaker against armour, especially if it didn't have any AT-elements. It's possibly that the mountaineers had a very low STR or ORG, forcing them to break quickly. Were you fighting a minor AI power? They often did not mobilize early enough in vanilla HoI3, ensuring that a quick bliz meant a quick victory.

I mostly played HOI3 after Semper Fi, due to what I mentioned above and for some other personal reasons. And I mostly played it multiplayer with some of my friends. But hell, HOI3 is a recipe for an on-rails wargame with some grand strat gimmicks. And it's so hard to mod no one bothered to do anything with it.
Good that you clarified. SF, as stated, already lessened the sandboxiness. However, it's by no means on rails. While you won't be able to get USA to join the Axis, several other things are possible - if you play as a major. Minors are mostly shafted, of course. Also, don't lie abou the difficultiness of modding it. There are several big mods available and a plethora of smaller ones. Black ICE and August Storm are my current favourites from the big ones.

They have proven time and time again that they are incompetent
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. Of course, if they were that incompetent, you wouldn't have a solid foundation for modders to begin with, but who cares about the little details... :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom