Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox is the best company ever :love:

Delterius

Arcane
Paradox has a monopoly over their niche, which is why some people view them in an overtly optimistic manner. They released lots of mediocre to decent and two good grand strategy games (Hearts of Iron 2 and Vicky 2), but the ridiculous DLC milking chalks off them from being on a list of best companies.

Though I suppose people are more likely to accept the DLC AVALANCHE from a dev like Paradox - independent, very niche, mid-to-small and, as far as I can see, with good PR. Some may even think its a necessary thing to keep them afloat amongst the big guys, though I wouldn't know about that.
It's actually very true. Before HoI3 and CK2, their games weren't selling enough to justify the long turnaround and unimpressive cash flow. Heck, they had to fire few staff members before HoI3 came out and Swedish law forces them to fire the latest hire to the company, so they lost a very talented programmer (King) among other people. While those really tough times are apparently now far past them, I don't doubt that no more than two-three Magna Mundi scale disasters in a fiscal year could ruin them.

Though since they have since expanded their publishing role, no idea if that brings in more money for them or whether it's peanuts.
I believe you. Which makes this yet another charisma boon for Paradox. People like to support the small guy.

Another thing that occurred to me is that, maybe, Paradox's niche is ideal for small/medium DLCs. Arguably, even relatively small additions like Republic DLC for CK II change a lot about the game.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Paradox, for me, is a much better developer than publisher. I enjoyed all their own games I've played - EUs, CKs, Sengoku; but as a publisher, I don't really trust them. A Game of Dwarves, Impire, Defenders of Ardania, Majesty 2 (and riding the Majesty's rather banal setting) - they were all disappointing at best.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And yet with all this rage Paradox knows we still will play their games because we have no alternative (Matrix? lololol)

We are spineless faggots bros.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Paradox, for me, is a much better developer than publisher. I enjoyed all their own games I've played - EUs, CKs, Sengoku; but as a publisher, I don't really trust them. A Game of Dwarves, Impire, Defenders of Ardania, Majesty 2 (and riding the Majesty's rather banal setting) - they were all disappointing at best.

You are correct to a degree, but honestly, would any of the other, especially the larger, publishers allow games like HoI or EU to be made? I doubt it, they don't sell as much as Asscraft or Total Bore. I bet the only reason Paradox has hung on this long is due to their very diligent fanbase buying up their DLC's and supporting them. Luckily CK2 sold enough copies to continue, I'm just hoping that it's not a queue to dumb their games down.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson with Two Kingdoms or Two Towers or WTF that game's name was - it was baby's first EU, during the War of the Roses - an extremely simplified version of EU2. Sold maybe 500 copies. I don't think they will pull a stunt like that again.

I recently started replaying Victoria Revolutions and was surprised by how hard and satisfying the game is. The interface might be atrocious, but hell, all those insurrections and economy crashes.

How come Vicky 2 is so easy compared to that?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I recently started replaying Victoria Revolutions and was surprised by how hard and satisfying the game is. The interface might be atrocious, but hell, all those insurrections and economy crashes.

How come Vicky 2 is so easy compared to that?

Its not. Unless you count manually promoting POPs then its wayyy easier.

In Vic1 it was possible to lead many minor and small powers to world domination, try that in Vic2 and report your results. Great powers stayed as easy as they were.

Of course for me its a step in the wrong direction since I prefer playing small nations. But it is, without doubt, harder.

In Vic1 it was possible to lead many minor and small powers to world domination, try that in Vic2 and report your results

What?

Except for Krakow you can get pretty much anyone to be a world power without much difficulty. Even when Great Britain decides to fuck up your vegetable garden you can survive with a couple of concessions then gobble up your neighbors. In Revolutions I'm getting my ass kicked in by commies and huge alliances that always trigger against me.1

Krakow isn't too hard since it starts civilized and high-literacy. But yeah, Victoria 2 is pretty easy overall. Haven't tried Victoria 1.

TripJack

Hedonist
any bros have a copy is Birth of America 2: WiA they'd be willing to part with?

it was given away in a paradox newsletter back in 2011
a true gentleman scholar helped me out :salute:

Krakow isn't too hard since it starts civilized and high-literacy. But yeah, Victoria 2 is pretty easy overall. Haven't tried Victoria 1.
It also starts with Prussia and Austria as neighbours. I had more trouble with them than Khiva.

It starts in Austria's Sphere, so they aren't going to mess with you. You also don't have enemy cores on you, so Russia or Prussia would have to pay the full 22 infamy for conquest to get a single province AND fight Austria to actually get it. Not that I would put it past the AI to start a huge war and pay one of the biggest infamy costs to acquire you, but it should be rare and just up to random chance. I could see the AI going to war to add you to their sphere, but that shouldn't worry you at all.

MetalCraze

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
Paradox has disappointed me recently with strange CK2 DLCs. I'm kinda burned until EU4 is out.
the eu4 dlcs will be even worse
They said there will be a dlc for importing your savegames from CK2 into EU4. Something that didn't need dlc before.
What?
:retarded:
A better and more elaborate import feature can be interesting. I don't know about CK2, but between EU3 and Vicky 2 the bugs are many. And the transition isn't very smooth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom