Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - isometric RPG based on the tabletop game

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I thought this was a terrible idea at first, but the more I hear it sounds like they actually know what they're doing.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Son of a bitch. It doesn't even have an Epic Games Store page yet. Did they decide this five minutes ago?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Well, I am sure there are millions of 13-year old kids who can't wait to play with one of the worlds most obscure RPG systems.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Puzzled by why EGS would even want possible-Eurotrash only on their store.

Guess Bigben doesn't have much faith in it making money on its own then. Oh well, hopefully Stygian will win. :M

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Epic trying to bulldoze itself to the market is getting boring.

I tried to think of something witty to say, but I got nothing.

Anymore.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Steam page is still up. People only got around to lighting up the Discussion page about an hour ago but I like where it is heading...

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Guess Bigben doesn't have much faith in it making money on its own then. Oh well, hopefully Stygian will win. :M

Every indie developer should take Epic's money. It's the only guarantee of success in a volatile industry.

Cultic Games should be begging for a deal as well, because I have a feeling Stygian will bomb.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every indie developer should take Epic's money. It's the only guarantee of success in a volatile industry.

Cultic Games should be begging for a deal as well, because I have a feeling Stygian will bomb.
80r3hk1.jpg

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Spend 5 years creating a game while living off potato scraps, and you would also welcome an exclusivity deal.

Anyone that denies this is a virtue signalling liar.

There's no such thing as guaranteed success. Epic store exclusivity is sacrificing one's potential for exponential growth for the sake of a single payout. It's dumb unless the executives are planning to pocket the money and jump ship in the near future.

Codex Year of the Donut
Spend 5 years creating a game while living off potato scraps, and you would also welcome an exclusivity deal.

Anyone that denies this is a virtue signalling liar.
Taking Epic's deal is accepting that you made a shit product you know won't sell well and just wasted 5 years of your life that you will never get back.
dol7de6pgd931.jpg

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Guaranteed money is a guaranteed budget for developing the next game.

If you think Paranoia or Stygian will reach DOS:2 levels of success, you are being foolish. They would be very lucky to sell more than 50,000 copies.

Taking Epic's deal is accepting that you made a shit product

Quality does not guarantee success. Legend of Grimrock 2 improved on the original in every way, yet still bombed.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Guaranteed money is a guaranteed budget for developing the next game.

If you think Paranoia or Stygian will reach DOS:2 levels of success, you are being foolish. They would be very lucky to sell more than 50,000 copies.
So they can develop another game that will end up selling poorly and because Epic won't be there to subsidize them and support their abortion of a product they'll go bankrupt, this time wasting 10 years of their life.
Genius, you should become a politician.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
So they can develop another game that will end up selling poorly

There's no way for indie developers to gauge how successful their game will be until it's on the market.

Maybe their game wont sell poorly, but Epic is the only guarantee it will be successful.

nd because Epic won't be there to subsidize them and support their abortion of a product they'll go bankrupt, this time wasting 10 years of their life.

No one becomes an indie developer to get rich. For most of us its about passion, but passion costs money. If Epic is guaranteeing money upfront, you would be dumb not to take it.

Codex Year of the Donut
So they can develop another game that will end up selling poorly

There's no way for indie developers to gauge how successful their game will be until it's on the market.

Maybe their game wont sell poorly, but Epic is the only guarantee it will be successful.

nd because Epic won't be there to subsidize them and support their abortion of a product they'll go bankrupt, this time wasting 10 years of their life.

No one becomes an indie developer to get rich. For most of us its about passion, but passion costs money. If Epic is guaranteeing money upfront, you would be dumb not to take it.
If you're unwilling to subsist entirely on ginger and tumeric roots then everything you produce will be subpar.

That's not how business works. There are no guarantees in business, there are only varying levels of risk. When you have a tiny business, it's much better to experiment with high-risk/high-reward schemes than it is to be conservative, because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The only time a contract like Epic Store exclusivity would be advisable is when you're working for a big corporation and want to shut out competitors.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
When you have a tiny business, it's much better to experiment with high-risk/high-reward schemes than it is to be conservative, because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
That depends heavily on local bankruptcy laws.
There are places where debts follow people for generations.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I talked to one developer that signed an exclusivity deal, and he said with the money Epic gave them they could increase the budget and scope for their next project, while also not having to crunch right away.

What Epic offers developers is the elimination of risk, in an extremely risky industry. That sounds like a good deal to me.

That depends heavily on local bankruptcy laws.
There are places where debts follow people for generations.
I'm of course assuming that you live in a civilized nation. You can't do business with barbarism everywhere around you.
I talked to one developer that signed an exclusivity deal, and he said with the money Epic gave them they could increase the budget and scope for their next project, while also not having to crunch right away.

What Epic offers developers is the elimination of risk, in an extremely risky industry. That sounds like a good deal to me.
That's just self-delusion. There's no such thing as a sure-bet, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. If all you do is avoid risk, you will never make any money. It's only sensible to try to avoid unnecessary risks. Most of the risks that people take are unnecessary ones, but some risk is always necessary in order to make gains. That's how all investments work, you risk a loss on your investment in the hopes of making some money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom