Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - isometric RPG based on the tabletop game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Mar 8, 2018.

1. V_K Arcane

V_K
    China.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Theldaran Scholar

Theldaran
    Today we've gotta defend from Greta's madmen, even if if you wait to think for a second, they're harmless.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Well it looks like it's not that different from what you can see from outside. In-house projects are second-class citizens: https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Black-Shamrock-EI_IE2392372.11,25.htm

Bonus:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. GentlemanCthulhu Scholar

GentlemanCthulhu
    Any totalitarianism is terrible. The game does fine job of portraying that .

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sammy Barely Literate

Sammy
    So uh, not to necro a super dead discussion needlessly (Imma be honest, I'm a Codex scrub so if this is talked about elsewhere my bad, but I couldn't find any other discussion on it) but Happiness is Mandatory is just like, gone from the Epic storefront. It was delayed into December, got some pretty bleh reviews on Metacritic, and I assumed wasn't a stellar seller, but I'm quite surprised that it was only around for a month before it vanished, especially since it was an Epic exclusive (at least for a year or whatever their contract was for). What I find even weirder is that it seems like nobody noticed, or has talked about it anywhere.

What exactly happened? I've never heard of a video game existing for a month and then just up and vanishing like this unless it was some kind of turbo scam that got uncovered or got caught up in some other scandal of some sort. Steam's "Coming Soon" page still exists, and the dev websites still have mention of it, though they haven't updated their pages to say that the game's out, nobody's reported on the game in any way recently, social media accounts for the game are totally silent. Anybody here know anything?

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 6
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Haha, what the hell? Yes, it seems to have disappeared sometime within the last couple of days.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    A Glassdoor review posted this month:

This reminds me again... the founder of this studio is the French man who led the studio of canceled Witcher 1 console port that almost tanked CDPR.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Optimist Learned Patron

Optimist
    This is delish.

"You are in error, citizen. There was no release of Paranoia game in Year of Computer 2019. In fact, knowledge of the Year of Computer 2019 itself is treasonous. Please, report to the nearest self-termination booth".

• :M :M x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just like that game which ripped off the assets from Chaos Chronicles. But then, I don't see that asset Thievery is what happened here.

^ Top  
  12. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    This is a total guess but maybe Epic is contending that the developer didn’t finish the game and hold up its end of the deal and wants its money back. Doesn’t seem likely anyone is “fixing” the game so that’s the only other reason I can think of to pull it.

^ Top  
  13. thesecret1 Scholar

thesecret1
    The image of Epic asking the devs for refund is pretty funny. Especially since it's probably what happened – I'm pretty sure that after getting money for being an Epic exclusive, they're contractually obliged to actually, you know, BE on Epic. So they probably couldn't take the game down even if they wanted to, meaning this would be a move coming from Epic itself.

Really, from Epic's side, it must seem like they just got scammed. Marketing for the game basically dropped dead shortly after the deal got signed, the game is broken and shit despite multiple delays, and there seems to be no effort to fix it after the fact. It must seem like they polished a turd with marketing to get money from Epic, then quickly cobbled together something technically playable and jumped the ship with the money.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Maxwell's Demon Arcane

Maxwell's Demon
    Woah... did I actually call this one?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It WAS Aliens!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)