Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm not so sure about using montreguls. While the increase to life and damage is quite substantial, the reduced amount of zombies might not be worth it. You should do the math as far as minion-life is concerned, my napkin math suggests that having more muslim-zombies is higher single-target damage than a smaller amount with higher life. You also have less meatshields, and their non-allahu DPS would be much higher with a severed in sleep/united in dream than montreguls.

One thing I really don't like about this build is the fact that you have little ways of scaling the MI damage. A high spell-dmg shield might provide more damage on the explosion compared to maligaros lens but I feel like that still won't cut it for higher content. You will also have to constantly resummon all zombies before being able to do meaningful damage again, so I would suggest building around using the umbilicus+coruscating combo for singletarget only, instead scaling their melee-damage with decent flasks (ToH, Sins Rebirth come to mind immediately). Broken faith might be an incredibly good shield for Necromantic Aegis+Montreguls, but getting one is gonna be a pain in the ass. United in Dream will also still be better most likely, due to getting a free link.

If you do continue with the build as planned I would be very interested in how it actually plays out though, hard to really gauge the effectiveness just on paper.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Sure. What else would you use Spell Totem on?

It seems at this point that SRS is best cast CWC.

Of course, for me Vaal Skeletons > Spell Totem Skeletons

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Minion AI is somewhat finicky, but there are certain things that you can control. Summons try to attack whatever target you're attacking, or at least whatever position your cursor is targeting. Having a Curse on Hit setup with something like Arc, Firestorm or Ball Lightning is advised for two reasons: Easy cursing without having to enter the fight yourself, and being able to somewhat direct your minions.

Jason Liang

Arcane
To be honest, summons other than SRS, golems and Animate Guardian are terrible (not including Totems). I never bite on builds that require investing heavily in passives that don't directly improve numero uno. SRS and golems are decent since Summoners eventually get the ascendancy passive that let them share minion damage bonuses.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Both Spectre aswell as Animate Weapon Builds are equally viable, properly build they actually surpass every other summoner build except for SRS. The issue with summoners is the amount of gemslots required for utility spells, and not having enough hotkeys.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Depending on whether you use any elemental damage (you should use hatred with zombies aswell as added fire damage) you may wanna skill into elemental equilibrium. Summons dont trigger EE themselves but profit from you lowering the enemies resistance. If you're running hatred and added fire you will want a lightning spell to CoH with anyway, so Ball Lightning is your best option here.

You can also do poison zombies and just use defensive curses on your curse setup.

You might wanna try out getting some ape spectres (the big ones from act 2) and see if they are actually durable enough to survive mapping. They can buff your zombies with frenzy charges. All three types of charges have greatly enhanced effects on non-player actors, both enemies aswell as summons.

CGAeyY7.png

Last edited:

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Leveling a Templar with Scorching Ray right now. No idea if it's endgame viable but man is it fun. FUCK YEAH FLAME LASER!

T. Reich

Arcane
You actually really want to combo SRay with firestorm via CWC - the biggest problem of SRay is life sustain. Firestorm hits so it can leech for you, and that's super-important.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I used free respecs in standard to respec my vortex trap assassin into Ice Nova self cast assassin (Ice nova got a buff recently). Wanted to try this hoping this would be better than my Elementalist Ice Nova crit build.
And.. I really hope 3.0 buffs cold and lightning (probably lightning would be better due to shock debuff), killing stuff is way too slow. Game says I got around 20k dps, my crit chance is 87%, multi 400%+ Stuff still dies too slow. My Vortex Trap assassin one shot everything with Vortex traps (used Pyre of course), this is pathetic in comparison.
Fire and Poison make everything else useless (unless you got OP combinations like HoWa).

Hyperion

Arcane
decided that if im going to have fun with it, Ill fully embrace the idea and do my best to reach that 1k hp.
For that reason, and due to its price, Ill slot geofri sanctuary chest(it gives 2ES per 5str as of 2.6). The way I understand it will be raw 400ES before ES percentage boost on chest?
Also for boots alberon warpath will be mandatory. No way Ill get my hands on astramentis but 80+ str amulet will be doable. Ill have somehow to squeze in resistances and str on 2rings,amulet,gloves... At the expense of life mods but hopefully ES and life derived from str will cover for it.

Obviously jews will be brawn and efficient training. Will change tree later to favor farther life nodes+str along str paths.

It will have mediocre clear speed at best, but im still hyped

My buddy is trying to salvage some mishmash Necromancer he made by building around the Baron as well. We're way too poor for an Astramentis as well.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Three_Rat_Talisman Try one of these. Up to 16% to all attributes. Might be able to snag a decently rolled one for 5 - 10c before ZiggyD's build takes off and everyone copies him. I actually went out and rushed to buy a Geofri's chest for him for that exact purpose. If the ES boost is local, at 1,000 strength, you're looking at an Armour / ES chest with up to 864 ES? That's pretty fucking insane with its decent life roll to boot.

Another thing he's pondering is Doon Cuebiyari since it has a pretty beefy strength roll on it. He wants to socket a Spectre in there under the assumption it'll gain all of the spell damage he would gain from Iron Will + 1,000 strength, but I'm not entirely sure that's how it works...

While he does that, I wanna give a Bow Slayer a shot. Looking at either Blast Rain or Rain of Arrows, full ele conversion using Signal Fire + Xoph's Nurture (or just the former if I go Blast Rain), Point Blank, Elemental Overload, Iron Grip, and Iron Reflexes. *Possibly* tri-curse, depending on how things go.

poeurl.com/82e Looking at something like this, but I'm not entirely sure it has enough increased nodes to go with those more multipliers.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
My buddy is trying to salvage some mishmash Necromancer he made by building around the Baron as well. We're way too poor for an Astramentis as well.
If you're in legacy, get a +1 zombie talisman with Strength and some other decent rolls on it. Shouldn't be too expensive.
Another thing he's pondering is Doon Cuebiyari since it has a pretty beefy strength roll on it. He wants to socket a Spectre in there under the assumption it'll gain all of the spell damage he would gain from Iron Will + 1,000 strength, but I'm not entirely sure that's how it works...
It does.

T. Reich

Arcane
I've made quite a few IW chars, and I know that getting a 85-90 str ammy at a fraction of Astramentis' price is fairly easy. What's even better, you can sometimes get some sweet other rolls on it (like a life roll etc), and it will still be chaper.
Astra is just a cop-out for lazy people, unless you actually need those 2x other stats as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am currently trying out a Detonate Dead Elementalist using The Scourge claw.
This is the tree: www.poeurl.com/9nw
DD+Fire Pen+IncAoE+Chance to Ignite+Inc Burning Damage
Desecrate+Fast Casting for opening salvo
Discipline+Vitality+Arctic Armor
Flame Golem+CHaos Golem+ Minion Life+Zombies(might exchange them for Vaal Skeletons at some point)
Orb of Storms+CoH+Inc Crit+Flammability
Whirling Blades as movement skill
Still got two gem slots open, not sure what to put there.

Using The Beast Fur Shawl to boost ES regen through ZO.
Working good so far.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
So far my unique drops have not been great; I've found Asphyxia's Wrath (oh why couldn't it have been Skirmish? I love Skirmish) and a Wondertrap, which pushed my build toward low life. Really fragile and I hate running round blind but fuck if I'm going to waste a passive on Arcane Vision!

Now I'm looking at some builds to get some ideas for low life.

ArchAngel

Arcane
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Three_Rat_Talisman Try one of these. Up to 16% to all attributes. Might be able to snag a decently rolled one for 5 - 10c before ZiggyD's build takes off and everyone copies him.
managed to get my hands on 16% one with little boost to life, resistances and str.

lvl59, still no idea how Im going to to cap resistances... but at least I broke 600str mark... Im fairly certain that Ill need to get my off hand slot back to pull it of... which is not that terrible actually. With 1kstr Ill have my leech and zombies at odd number, meaning that I can get rid of everything on right side of a tree and get 14 points back.
Or if my end str is high enough replace 100str unique with rare one
Take a couple of jewel slots and put 2x resistance jewels inside.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Can also take resistance from bandits on normal, summoners generally used to do that back in the day. Until you cap resistances get an aurumvorax.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Did 2.6 actually fix anything balance-related or it's the same old mess?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom