Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Gerrard

Arcane
>more life modifiers
>more elemental modifiers
>more caster modifiers
m3BQ52b.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters:

Shadenuat

Arcane
entertainment for autists and gambling addicts.

which is most of poe crafting really.

I made this

imadedis.jpg

Naturally regal gave +4 life on kill.
it's shit but it was my first shit and after I equipped it in my left hand, when fully energized by potions and all my charges it bumped dps from 100k to 140k. (or so the tooltip says, we know it's all a lie but whatever). happy about myself went and killed my first elder guardian.

I understand I need more of this stuff on me.

I am not sure I feel happy or disappointed though. All that work with passive nodes and equipment, in baby steps of 500-1000 damage, and then I rolled some crappy offhand claw and my damage increased by 1/3.
That way sure it doesn't matter much where you put your points I guess - get enought to be comfortable, sink rest in life and just grind equipment.

Sykar

Arcane
I am still of the firm opinion that you could gut the rng in PoE by a factor of like 5 and the game would be for the better. It is the one big gripe I have especially when it comes to sockets. Drives me nuts that apart from getting enough sockets you waste especially a lot of fuses once you want more than a four link, and even that can sometimes not go well. People claim that the Vorici 5L/6L option is "expensive" but they do not have the rng bad luck that I have. Just recently I tried to get a 1G/1R/4B in my Whispering Ice Staff. According to the online calc the most economical option was to just use chromatics and should have needed at most statistically around 35, was like 18 with a standard deviation of around the 17 iirc. I wasted more than double of that almost 80. Of course if I had used another option I might have gotten even unluckier.

I really hate it that we have to color the entire thing. This is doubly annoying if you do not go full links but want a kind of "off color" in a seperate socket when you have for example two auras linked to blood magic support but with that you are tapped out and want some other aura there.

Oh and I never had a 6 link apart from Tabula Rasa. :argh:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I got 6l few times: Pledge of Hands, Loreweave, Belly of the Beast (twice), Carcas Jack and Windripper (twice), good times.
Still - at the start of the league it's better to buy decent 5-6l armor and roll stats on it...

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I got 6l few times: Pledge of Hands, Loreweave, Belly of the Beast (twice), Carcas Jack and Windripper (twice), good times.
Still - at the start of the league it's better to buy decent 5-6l armor and roll stats on it...
Or you can actually 6-link something good yourself and kickstart your league and if it doesn't work - wait for the next league. :smug:
I had one league when I got three 6-links done with my first ~100 fuses (3 items with 100 fuses in total, not per item!), that was really crazy stuff... Will almost certainly never happen again.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am still of the firm opinion that you could gut the rng in PoE by a factor of like 5 and the game would be for the better
I mean, 75+ lvl items can roll stuff like +3% fire resistance. I would understand something like 15% to 40%, sure it's not what you want but it can help too. But that shit + linking is just asinine.

I really hate it that we have to color the entire thing
They should just implement white sockets into basic rolls.

Gerrard

Arcane
I got this new jewel, Unnatural Instinct (gives all unallocated small passives, allocated ones give nothing). That can be some crazy shit in some sockets, like the Scion ones.

6RaTfS1.png

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Of course not, but you can just spend 3 points on some shit you don't need and you get 10+ passives for that, the upper right is probably the best.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
I really wonder if I need to upgrade my 6-7 year old I5/AMD 6950/8 GB rig. Whenever I play my WI/CoC Incinerate build I get insane drops of my framerate from 70-80 to 0 quite often especially during Abyss and other such events. Though in general PoE needs a long time ingame before my SATA HDD finishes loading everything. I can twiddle my thumbs for a minute or two ingame usually going to the kitchen and making me a tea. I guess a SSD would solve that problem.

Question is what would most likely aleviate my FPS drops the most. What do you guys think?
had a 8yo potato and POE was hardly playable at all.
did buy me a new notebook yesterday and boi....day and night. its like playing a new game.

SSD definately changed it for the better as did the new GPU

Dux

Arcane
Feels like I'm teetering on the brink of giving up on this game. My Marauder melee shield build has been doing fine for 98% of my 60hr run (I'm currently on Act 9). But these fucking bosses, I swear to fucking Christ.

The easy answer to my woes is that my build is not strong enough, which could very well be the case. I'm not a power gamer, I just play the game as best I can without making a big deal out of it. I plow through ordinary enemies and mini bosses without really breaking a sweat. I have pretty decent resistances except for chaos which was gutted in Act 5, my armour is pretty good and my HP is decent. The point is that I can play the majority of this game without any issue whatsoever, until I go up against any given boss. Doedre, Innocence, Arakaali, Kitava. HP bloat and one-shot mechanics out the ass ruin my day. But hey, my build is wrong, obviously. I was silly for trying to just think freely and go for things I found interesting and suitable: shield buffs, totem buffs, armour, strength, HP and melee damage. Nope, I need a meta build that will make the base game even more trivial but actually allows me to fight effectively against bosses without dying instantly.

It's quite jarring how fast my estimation of this game went down after Act 5. There's no logic behind making bosses so lethal while leaving everything else so bland. If the maps between the boss fights were actually tougher, it would send a clear message to me and every other casual gamer out there that the build is not strong enough. This would allow for some mental preparation for the upcoming bosses. If I then proceed to die countless times due to extremely high DPS attacks, I could at least understand and respect it. However, this is not the case currently. Hopefully GGG will do something about the balance, because it is broken right now, in my opinion. Make average monsters considerably tougher if you're going to have bosses with that much HP bloat.

Dux

Arcane
I'm not playing right now but as I recall I have 75 fire, 75(ish) cold and finally 75 lightning but 100+ uncapped.

Shadenuat

Arcane
how much hp? armor? do you have life leech and how strong it is? do you use granit, basalt pots? did you make yourself at least a your tier, ~130-150% extra physical damage weapon?

don't worry about it too much though. I so far found no bosses that would be easier for melee, and you'll even die to many map bosses at first. it only becomes worse from there, but since you've already seen the worst part, you're well prepared! (well until you also see +300% crit +elemental damage +you're cursed maps and delve, these are just WONDERFUL as well as reflect etc.)

as a melee you have to literally crawl yourself on your own bloody intestines falling out to higher level mapos, Ascend and get main abilities, and somehow hit 4-5k life and 100k dps, with little baby steps, and then you will feel like a character and less as a beating bag. (unless you trade stuff I guess, but I don't)
you need to adapt, you can't just play some shit because it feels cool. or you have to tune that cool shit so it works.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
how much hp? armor? do you have life leech and how strong it is? do you use granit, basalt pots? did you make yourself at least a your tier, ~130-150% extra physical damage weapon?

don't worry about it too much though. I so far found no bosses that would be easier for melee, and you'll even die to many map bosses at first. it only becomes worse from there, but since you've already seen the worst part, you're well prepared!

HP? Don't know but it's clearly too low for most act bosses, yet more than adequate for everything else. Armour has been at a pretty consistent high(ish) level, I think. Not at power-gaming levels but it's been pretty good throughout, and I do use flasks to increase my defence percentage, as well as my damage output. I recently removed my passives on shield buffs and went with two-handed mace buffs instead, simply because I found a nice unique. The life leech I have is my Cyclone as my secondary attack, but I mainly use Sunder with Fortify now, along with Ancestral totem and Herald of Purity. Unfortunately the Cyclone is not enough to tank bosses when they do their thing. Not that it matters considering you're supposed to dip, dive and dodge their power attacks like it's Dark Souls even though it's clearly not Dark Souls (hint hint GGG), and one misclick is more than enough to kill you.

The only mission I have now is to increase my HP along with my mace damage, while keeping an eye on my resistances. To hell with the rest. I've died too many times in Act 5 and onward to really care at this point.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yes you're supposed to dodge some shit although there are some thresholds which allow you to tank even some big hits. so bind your mobility skill, like shield charge, to easy button and get used to moving with it more than clicking. monsters are bad at re-targeting so blitzing around the screen once in a while helps greatly with survivability.

Marauder with shield and totems and cyclone (or whatever you like but it must hit a lot of mobs) sounds very strong to me, almost a cookie cutter choice with great survivability. Don't know how you can fuck it up, just keep pushing forward and tweaking stuff and eventually you will be good. Try hitting 3k hp first then focus on gear and damage. For defences, there should be layers of them, so hp+block+fortify+blind+freeze+leech+flasks etc.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

don't worry about it too much though. I so far found no bosses that would be ejasier for melee, and you'll even die to many map bosses at first. it only becomes worse from there, but since you've already seen the worst part, you're well prepared!

HP? Don't know but it's clearly too low for most act bosses, yet more than adequate for everything else. Armour has been at a pretty consistent high(ish) level, I think. Not at power-gaming levels but it's been pretty good throughout, and I do use flasks to increase my defence percentage, as well as my damage output. I recently removed my passives on shield buffs and went with two-handed mace buffs instead, simply because I found a nice unique. The life leech I have is my Cyclone as my secondary attack, but I mainly use Sunder with Fortify now, along with Ancestral totem and Herald of Purity. Unfortunately the Cyclone is not enough to tank bosses when they do their thing. Not that it matters considering you're supposed to dip, dive and dodge their power attacks like it's Dark Souls even though it's clearly not Dark Souls (hint hint GGG), and one misclick is more than enough to kill you.

The only mission I have now is to increase my HP along with my mace damage, while keeping an eye on my resistances. To hell with the rest. I've died too many times in Act 5 and onward to really care at this point.
For act 9 and 10 you want between 3000 and 4000 hp and more layers of defense.
Even if you don't die to normal enemies now they are going to start raping you in maps (when you alchemy them which you absolutely need to).
Make sure to have endurance charges up, lots of armor and some block. If no block then you need to be moving fast. Quicksilver flask of adrenaline makes boss battles a lot easier.
Have one skill for damage only (forget stuff like fortify on it).
If you are using a big slow weapon support get % bonus damage supports, fast low base damage weapons work well with added damage supports.
Use fortify on secondary skill like shield charge or leap slam.
You can even use vigilance and get its jewel for a huge duration fortify.
Get two bubbling healing flask and spam them when damaged.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Am I wrong or it is somewhat strange that one of As perks is permanent Fortify, when you can get that just so incredibly easily with a single gem?

Dux

Arcane
Quicksilver flask of adrenaline makes boss battles a lot easier.

What happens when these run out? This is something I've never really understood clearly. Most boss battles have sections with minions where you can hopefully refill flasks but I've found it be far too sporadic and random. Spam portals?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom