Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Sharpedge

Prophet
Safehouses are much easier to do for some unknown reason
lower rate of spawn

Fortification is tedious, but it can be done.
myself I aggro bosses out, destroy totems, then if they come back i aggro them out again where I kill them(so I wont fight constant high rate spawn).
I usually do something similar. The tedium comes from trying to break down the door initially, once it is down the fight goes quickly. I am playing a golemancer this league and trying to convince golems to break down the door is like herding cats.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
yet another patch https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2275852
"reducing additional monster spawns in Fortification encounters"
about fkn time
why GGG make these mistakes?

also - another good strip from Joe
LJAFz3b.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Is it just me, or does Aisling sound like Piety.

Also, I'm glad that nonbinary people finally have representation in PoE.
GQQqV74.png

:troll:

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah the main mechanic is extremely tedious and weak this league. It's like a worse version of bestiary.

Playing this game on HC is an exercise in futility. I gave up on it after a while, the game is not designed for it and isn't nearly stable enough. I think out of like 20-25 hc deaths, only one was me actually fucking up, the rest were crashes/disconnects/disjoints and random ass oneshots.

Honestly never understood the point of HC in these games.
I know it's a holdover from their very distant link to roguelikes, but roguelikes are made entirely around that one concept. They're also — and most importantly — turn-based.

Maybe I'm just too casual to understand the appeal.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The appeal is that all your decisions matter more and your mistakes hurt. What is crazy in this instance is that those mistakes cost you 50+ h of your life.
HC in these games are mostly for non lifers even when some of them will not admit it.

Gerrard

Arcane

JUST GET MORE DEFENSE BRO
:hero:

I found a Sunblast and 2x Cheap Construction, fuck you game I don't wanna play traps.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The appeal is that all your decisions matter more and your mistakes hurt. What is crazy in this instance is that those mistakes cost you 50+ h of your life.
HC in these games are mostly for non lifers even when some of them will not admit it.
Perhaps, but otoh, if I've played the same build for 50h, I'm likely getting bored of it.

I tried to play standard once (first league when they switched to 10 acts). It was awful, and I quit in act 6. There was no tension in it, just the inevitable grind to victory.

I like HC because it means automatically getting a large variety in my builds and a lot of tension. In HC, losing 60% of your health feels exciting, in standard I barely cared when I dropped to 10%.

Sykar

Arcane
Played D2 HC for 6 years. These days all a RIP does to me is that it annoys me. All those one shot mechanics with my bad internet connection and other problems make it completely and utterly worthless to me. New leagues bore me I hate starting over and over. Grind is always the same no matter what so I just play the character concepts I like in Standard and fuck everything else.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Perhaps, but otoh, if I've played the same build for 50h, I'm likely getting bored of it.

I tried to play standard once (first league when they switched to 10 acts). It was awful, and I quit in act 6. There was no tension in it, just the inevitable grind to victory.

I like HC because it means automatically getting a large variety in my builds and a lot of tension. In HC, losing 60% of your health feels exciting, in standard I barely cared when I dropped to 10%.
All you did is exchange one grind for another. Tnx, but I would rather grind maps than first 10 acts leveling new characters over and over.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The good thing about the HC economy is that it's not just the absolute best of items that have value. Leveling gear, non-perfectly rolled uniques, non-t1 rolled rares all are worth something, whereas in SC those items only sell during day 1 or 2 of the league. Meanwhile you can still sell a 70life/60total res belt for multiple chaos 1 week into the HC league.

Chaos value is also much higher, since you actually use chaos for rolling maps, something that doesn't happen nearly as often in SC. Current chaos:exalt ratio is 1:140 in SC, HC is 1:55. Just by doing the chaos recipe and converting them into exalts you can utilize features like master-crafting with multimodding/affix blocking etc. much more easily. You can generally get a +3 staff/bow 2-3days into the league just by doing chaos recipe and converting to exalts once. The same is certainly not true for SC where youd need to flip large amounts of currency/items to get the same exalt value in the same time-frame.

While I played SC the last few leagues out of convenience and because I don't have nearly as much time playing PoE like I used to, I still vastly prefer the HC economy over the SC one.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Leveling gear, non-perfectly rolled uniques, non-t1 rolled rares all are worth something, whereas in SC those items only sell during day 1 or 2 of the league. Meanwhile you can still sell a 70life/60total res belt for multiple chaos 1 week into the HC league.
Doesn't that cut both ways though?
I mean, if the dropped currency buys you more/better items in general, does it really matter if perfect rolls are super ridonk expensive?

Sharpedge

Prophet
I just farm bosses and sell drops. Labyrinth Enchants, Dying Sun, some Watcher's Eyes, etc, all go for decent currency. Also, the boss fights are quite fun to learn.

T. Reich

Arcane
I find that PoE's current state of economy in general is pretty healthy and flexible.

Living off the map currency dropsis entirely possible. Proofof that: SSF is a thing.
Doing chaos recipe is slow, but steady and reliable income.
Selling even lowbie-midtier rares is steady even in SC. Not everyone can afford the best-of-the-best. This article forms the bulk of my income throughout the leagues.
Farming specific bosses/encounters for loot is also a viable way to make wealth.
Engaging in league-specific content is also a surefire way to get rich, as long as you play the market. This league it's all about research division shenanigans and also specific scarabs from intervention.
Finally, selling challenge/completion services is also very profitable. Existence of /trade 820 is a testament to that. You can make mad buxx just by selling challenge completion to people who want it.
And then there's always item/currency flipping.

abija

Prophet
I don't agree with the SSF statement. Sure it's possible but the time investment (read: being forced to grind trivial content) is retarded, just like with the maps being sustainable argument.
SSF could be amazing fun if they improved drop rates a lot (the lazy way), or even better implementing less rng systems. But until they prevent transfer to other leagues nothing good/interesting will happen with SSF.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Doesn't that cut both ways though?
I mean, if the dropped currency buys you more/better items in general, does it really matter if perfect rolls are super ridonk expensive?
It's just a lot easier for someone who doesn't flip items/currency nonstop to acquire items or sell them for more than 1alch, which makes them "feel" like they're worth more due to chaos not being super inflated. It's more of a psychological effect than an actual gameplay one, but to me personally that is much more enjoyable. Helping with boss-kills, running labs or hard bosses, even just grinding T13+ and selling maps/ilvl84s bases is worth much more in terms of chaos value than it is on SC. So instead of just acquiring currency through currency drops, and hoping for a big sell of one of those well-rolled rares or uniques, on HC you generally get to sell worse items, for more currency. Currency that feels like its worth something, because it's not nearly as inflated as it is on SC.

It's basically the difference of paying for something with a piece of paper that just says "price for what I'm going to buy" versus buying something with a bag of gold-coins. There's more weight to the transaction, literally, despite the value of the item technically being the same in the grand scheme of things. And there's also the fact that high-end items generally are not as readily available due to people dying in them as well as running the content that drops them being more dangerous so fewer people engage in it.

As an example, ilvl 84 steels/opals are ~3c on SC, with a 1:150ex ratio. They are closer to 8-10c on HC, with a 1:50 ratio. While they are technically worth the same in their current markets, they change hands for more currency which makes the economy feel less inflated and thus healthier.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't agree with the SSF statement. Sure it's possible but the time investment (read: being forced to grind trivial content) is retarded, just like with the maps being sustainable argument.
SSF could be amazing fun if they improved drop rates a lot (the lazy way), or even better implementing less rng systems. But until they prevent transfer to other leagues nothing good/interesting will happen with SSF.
I map SSF way and I hate it. I hate even more using trade system to buy maps from people where 1 in every 20 messages responds (it is not this bad when trading for normal items).

Each league I grind to t11 maps (yes you need to grind already in high yellow maps) and then decide if I want to grind more or quit. In only two leagues I managed to reach guardians (Incursion because you would often get high level maps from Temple runs and Abyss - probably because I grinded more that league and also got lucky with map drops).

After this league I think I am going to take a long break from PoE and come back once the gameplay is less retarded. Or find another aRPG to play (not Grim Dawn, I got 500+ h in that one and it has its own set of retarded problems).

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I map SSF way and I hate it. I hate even more using trade system to buy maps from people where 1 in every 20 messages responds (it is not this bad when trading for normal items).

Just trade when the offer was posted in last 5-10 min.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom