Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

GrainWetski

Arcane
It sounds cool, but looking at the statistics of currently played ascendancies and how most of them are played by 1 or 2 % of the playerbase, I suspect we'll just get even more 'useless' choices.
Yeah, you certainly can't play something unless it's popular.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I liked the trailer and I'd like to be excited for a new ARPG, but I just don't know. PoE's constant push for even more and more extreme speed clear builds isn't something I enjoy. Forgot the name of last league I played but it felt absurd that I was playing a DoT build that did so much damage that everything just died instantly, even bosses died within a nano second. It didn't feel any different than playing with a nuke skill. I like ARPGs that are slower paced, which PoE was in its earlier inceptions. I'm afraid that PoE2 will open up like that or be edged toward it again. Oh well, at least the city hub that was being pulled by slaves looked sick as hell. If anything at least PoE pulls off the Sword & Sorcery look and atmosphere really well.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You guys do realize that the name with the 2 is just marketing buzz, right? There isn't a new standalone game, this is just Path of Exile (1) with a new campaign.

0ux7h5.png

Unless they completely tone it down overall, it's just going to stay the same, at best you kill things a tad bit slower due to bloated HP.

Which makes perfect sense. I mean, you don't throw away years of development on your successful F2P game for a sequel. Sad fact is "NEW GAME ANNOUNCED" hype always trumps a "we have a major content update, guys" kind of announcement.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It sounds cool, but looking at the statistics of currently played ascendancies and how most of them are played by 1 or 2 % of the playerbase, I suspect we'll just get even more 'useless' choices.
Yeah, you certainly can't play something unless it's popular.
You can, but a lot of the ascendancies are not played (widely) for a reason. They're incredibly niche, or there's another one that does almost the same thing but better or the power creep has just made it obsolete since you can get the same effect from an aura, and so on.
CLEAVE DUELIST!
Duelist isn't an ascendency ;)
If you're having fun with it though, that's great. Personally I prefer not standing right next to the enemies to hit them with a small AoE, but to each his own as they say.
----
Looking at stuff like this https://youtu.be/8BjHpNN4syA?t=13970 from the 4.0 demo people are playing at exilecon, I'm really not psyched for GGG saying the campaign needs to get more difficult. The bosses seem really spongy as well(which I feel has been a problem a long time if you're not running a build with a lot of dps). 5 minute bossfight on a 'random area' is gonna get old really quick.

Helton

Arcane
19! new Ascendancy classes.

Well there are 19 ascendancy classes so by pigeon-hole principle there is necessarily going to be ascendancies only played by 5% of the population. 1% or 2% doesn't sound terribly lower than that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Well there are 19 ascendancy classes so by pigeon-hole principle there is necessarily going to be ascendancies only played by 5% of the population. 1% or 2% doesn't sound terribly lower than that.
Here's the actual distribution from current league:
ZRMbuJQ.png

I think this is pretty bad, you may disagree. (berserker didn't fit in this shitty online tool, its at 1.230%)
Last one was basically the same, but the top ones have changed.

Reinhardt

Arcane

ZRMbuJQ.png

I think this is pretty bad, you may disagree. (berserker didn't fit in this shitty online tool, its at 1.230%)
Never played characters from first four positions.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
When 80% of people choose vanilla or chocolate ice-cream, why even have more than 2 flavors.

I don't think it has anything to do with viability, since you can beat the game with anything you want at this point, it's just whatever gets the biggest overhaul - gets played the most, which makes perfect sense. Besides, lots of people play multiple characters per league.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Loli was always extremely popular, and pet and skeletons is super casual ez shut your brain safe stuff (even I played it at least twice), so I'm not surprised. Before it was Elementalist.

And yeah whats get updated gets played. Weren't there ton of whirly builds when WW got +physical scaling?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
On a more serious note, I don't see the new ascendancies as that much of a problem as long as they are different enough to warrant an entirely new ascendancy. Some of the new bow-based ascendancy looked a lot like Dead-eye to me, but still different enough especially defensively speaking that I can see it being best for certain builds.

Always gotta keep in mind that GGGs goal is not to balance everything perfectly, but to have meaningful meta-shifts so people who are just going with "whats best" still get a new experience every few leagues so they stick with the game. The people that already play the game for fun don't need such incentives because they're not mindless braindead drones.

Helton

Arcane

ZRMbuJQ.png

I agree. The biggest slice is p damn big.

Absinthe

Arcane
CLEAVE DUELIST!
You can also be Cleave Berserker or Cleave Assassin or Cleave Raider/Pathfinder. If you're big on Ele Cleave then Cleave Inquisitor is also an option. So is Cleave Occultist if you like curses. And then there's Cleave Scion.

abija

Prophet
Only managed to watch first day and half of 2nd stream, did they say anything about trade?
Because from various tidbits it's very clear they balance difficulty of obtaining stuff in game around optimal trade conditions.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I didn't see anyone talk about trade.
It came up once I think, during Quins interview with Chris.

Essentially they'd like to just use an in-game browser that directly opens the trade-site they have (which is far better than poe.trade at this point btw) because it doesn't remove the process of talking and bartering with other people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom