Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I get similar gear, similar skills, yet something isn't working.
that's the problem
To reach same result you need same or better items (perfect rolls or mirrored items, which is outright scam)

at best you need something with better rolls on your items
at worst guide creator deceived people, sometimes by checking way too many field in Calculation tab in Path of Buildings, or by creating character that need some expensive/hard to find items and forgot to mention it...

I rather use this site https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds and try to mimic builds people use to play the game and not use to boost their ego by making garbage guides

there was a video series where some guy debunked some of these "guides" and pointed most flaws
here is some

How often do you have full power charges from your weapon swap jaws of agony, full frenzies, onslaught, have thrown a vaal lightning trap, put down your ancestral protector totem, procced your elemental overload with orb of storms, turned on your vaal haste, put down your frost bomb, have the lightning aura from your lightning golem active, are on full hp for boot enchant and the gem, but hit and savage hit recently, also running blood rage, all at the same time, against a white mob?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Finally killed Shaper after nearly 1700+ hours. Tried Uber but no bueno. Shaper was easy as hell though.
Getting those final maps on SSF was fucking pain, especially since i don't like to grind same thing over and over again.

minion builds are broken. 0 investement and it kills everything. It would deal with uber damage wise but shaper balls one 2 shot me and it is very hard to avoid every one of them, it gets worse when they are around 50% life and add new attacks to that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Shaper was easy as hell though.
Agreed. Killed him first time last weekend (deathless first try). I bought one map and 3 fragments to do it, so in the end I must conclude that mapping to shaper is many times harder than shaper himself.

It's almost comical how slow and well telegraphed all his attacks are when compared to stuff like warbands, vaal chaos plants, etc.

Still feels kinda good to have done it before he becomes obsolete next patch (no zana questline completion unfortunately).

Sure, i dont get the six links, but five links, but that last link shouldnt make such big difference like jumping from 30k damage to million xd
PoE is a game of multiplication. The difference between 'sane' easily available gear and top of the line mirror stuff doesn't seem that high, but when you multiply it all together it becomes huge.
These days I only ever check guides for inspiration, tips on passive tree, leveling skills and such. If I can't get good damage on a 5 link and a uniques totalling less than 30c I find something else. Making your own build is pretty hard, but it's way more satisfying, even if you wind up at a realistic 200-400k dps instead of 1-3mln.

Absinthe

Arcane
Prestigious codexers, how to learn his game? Whenever i follow any build guide, i won't achieve the same results as promised by build maker. Build says that its easy to clear tier 15-16 maps and kill shaper, yet i can't progress past tier 5-6 maps. I get similar gear, similar skills, yet something isn't working. Are these "minute"/small changes between the perfect gear and my gear a problem? I want to return to this game, since i've invested some monies into it[60 usd] and wouldn't want it to go to waste, and also i like hack and slash games. Any good guide on damage stacking, and overall a good newbie guide on how to build builds? I've used PoB and took nodes that gave most damage[you can switch to damage/hp mode, brighter nodes give more damage] yet i can't achieve these insane 500-1 mil damages.
Are you playing hardcore or softcore, what's your build, and what's the build guide you're trying to follow? If you enter your account's privacy settings, set your account profile to public, and give your character name we can look at your character's build and see what you're doing. Alternatively, you can upload a Path of Building representation of your character and give us the link. It'd help a lot more if we could tell what you are doing wrong and what minute improvements would have drastic benefits for your build.

Finally killed Shaper after nearly 1700+ hours. Tried Uber but no bueno. Shaper was easy as hell though.
Getting those final maps on SSF was fucking pain, especially since i don't like to grind same thing over and over again.

minion builds are broken. 0 investment and it kills everything. It would deal with uber damage wise but shaper balls one 2 shot me and it is very hard to avoid every one of them, it gets worse when they are around 50% life and add new attacks to that.
Yeah, there's a reason why I keep recommending minion builds for HC SSF. To top it off they're also more-or-less reflect immune since your minions eat the reflect, not you. Also, if the balls are wrecking your shit, you can be a lazy bastard and stock up on a few sapphire flasks. 20% Experimenter's Sapphire Flask of Heat if you want to be fancy about it. Running Purity of Ice is a good idea too. Combine the two and you're probably taking around 32.8% less cold damage than before.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
oh baby crafted amazing jewel just now.

Alted magic jewel until i got regen 10 life and regen 1% which are both T1 and close to max roll used like 40 alts.
Slammed regal on first try. boom T2 life and also almost max roll. So T1 is just 36-45 so missing 9 life and 2 life regen from max roll.

Thinking about exalting it and then slamming corruption but i don't think i have balls to do that.

unknown.png

janior

Arcane
Patron
oh baby crafted amazing jewel just now.

Alted magic jewel until i got regen 10 life and regen 1% which are both T1 and close to max roll used like 40 alts.
Slammed regal on first try. boom T2 life and also almost max roll. So T1 is just 36-45 so missing 9 life and 2 life regen from max roll.

Thinking about exalting it and then slamming corruption but i don't think i have balls to do that.

unknown.png
I offer 1 alch and 3 alterations

Perkel

Arcane
I offer 1 alch and 3 alterations

This is SSF. Which is why it is amazing. Anyone playing Standard or trade league can never craft anything good because there will be something 100 times better for 1 alt

Baron Dupek

Arcane
New change in old content - Uber Hillock spawns on the beach in Act 6.
GGG thinks that easy 6-link convince people to play melee, heh.
15c from 1ex, wew.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
dude fuck leveling its always so boring everyone should start at maps tbh
They increased all the boss damage and hp by a LOT this league. Brutus keeps one-hitting all my zombies.

They seem to have revamped a lot of the main story sub bosses. I died to General Gravicius in act 3, because I didnt expect him to spam that many new fire attacks, including those homing fireballs from the sky. I never died to this fucker in all those eight years. Fuck!

Perkel

Arcane
dude fuck leveling its always so boring everyone should start at maps tbh
They increased all the boss damage and hp by a LOT this league. Brutus keeps one-hitting all my zombies.

They seem to have revamped a lot of the main story sub bosses. I died to General Gravicius in act 3, because I didnt expect him to spam that many new fire attacks, including those homing fireballs from the sky. I never died to this fucker in all those eight years. Fuck!

First Gravicius when he was introduced was rippy.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Okay, installed the game today. Couldn't even remember my old account, but it doesn't matter.

Anyone wants to share any noob tips? Guides/info you found useful when starting out? I'm following the Sunder Duelist build, seems to be easy and similar to what I did with Median XL: right click melee, little shockwave...checks out?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Okay, installed the game today. Couldn't even remember my old account, but it doesn't matter.

Anyone wants to share any noob tips? Guides/info you found useful when starting out? I'm following the Sunder Duelist build, seems to be easy and similar to what I did with Median XL: right click melee, little shockwave...checks out?

Just run through te game and only bother with packs of mod and bosses at the end of the acts.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Great, another league with more crashes. Stuck my DXdiag on the forums there but I can't go more than 3 minutes without crashing :( Seems to be a common theme for those of us with AMD GPUs.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Just run through te game and only bother with packs of mod and bosses at the end of the acts.

So kinda like D2 then? I mean, everything is RNG-junk anyway, so might as well wait until I get access to places with better drops, right?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Following guides and builds when faced with PoE big character building puzzle is like reading a walkthrough for a puzzle in an adventure game. Defeats the point of playing the game.

So kinda like D2 then? I mean, everything is RNG-junk anyway, so might as well wait until I get access to places with better drops, right?
Not exactly. A lot of things in the beginning have similar value through whole game. Kinda like Runes in D2. So nothing wrong with playing through game normally for a while.

Sykar

Arcane
Why does a 45 MB patch force me to uninstall 30 GB worth of games despite 22 GB sill available, claiming that there is not enough disk space, when the previous nearly 1 GB patch had no such problem? Strange behaviour by Steam trying to update the game.

T. Reich

Arcane
If you're using Steam client to play Poe, you're your own worst punishment.

...I wonder how many crash complaints come from people playing via Steam client. Because I get virtually no crashes, like, ever. Apart from the common ones that get acknowledged by GGG and fixed within a day of them getting reported.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People complain about crashes but for me it's my game that stuck on loading screens.
Slowly getting somewhere before reaching waypoint only to get stuck on loading.
Sometimes it won't login at all.

Found few unique mobs whose parts drops unique armors, no Tabula so far, only Bramble Jackoff

Last edited:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
People complain about crashes but for me it's my game that stuck on loading screens.
I had that, especially the last sentence, when I had the game on my HDD. Once I moved it to my SSD it fixed it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I had that, especially the last sentence, when I had the game on my HDD. Once I moved it to my SSD it fixed it.

Funny you mention it, when googled similar issue everyone throw "just jump on SSD duh" lines.
Well guess what, it's almost 2020 and everyone and their grandma have SSDs.
Of course game is on SSD because why it shouldn't be there in current year?

Tried "--nopreload", clearing cache, set "predictive" and tested other servers.
oh well, guess I'll wait till they fix that

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
After about two years, played some PoE over the weekend, up to the beginning of Act 9 (SSF Metamorph). Not sure I need the time sink in my life so I may not continue, but the game really does improve with every patch. From a self-found perspective the socket and link system is the only large frustration remaining in the game IMO, and it'll be fixed with PoE 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom