Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Sharpedge

Prophet
So carnal armour then? I'm thinking a 80c evasion/ es chestpiece + atziri steps. PoB gives me almost 60% chance to avoid physical damage entirely.

Should I be scaling mana for MoM too?

Btw, is that chestpiece decent for an ES heavy build? I crafted it myself as an "investment" of sorts.
I took a look at that PoB, allocated some skill points into life and looked at the net result, sitting at ~4k hp and 1k es. I guess if you are feeling comfortable with that its ok, but I don't personally like playing characters that are that glassy.

My recommendations are:

1. Roll your flasks. Easy improvement to make which doesn't cost much to do and gives a decent improvement. You will want a quicksilver flask of adrenaline most likely, the others you will probably want immunities on (freeze, bleed, curses, etc) which can be crafted on in the menagerie.
  2. Consider acquiring better jewels. You can get life and 1 damage mod really cheaply, life and 2 damage mods depends on how efficient you are at searching. If you throw life into its own search term and then all the damage mods into another you should be able to find something good for a reasonable price, here is an example (which does not cover all jewel mods for arc, but you get some idea) https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Metamorph/X3GLEJduP. You can find a list of all the jewel mods over here https://poedb.tw/us/mod.php.
  3. Until you have a lot of currency, I recommend treating the 6 link chest piece as an item that has effectively no stats, but has 6 links and then balance your stats around that. As it currently is I think you are a bit beyond that stage so you can probably include your chest piece in your stat balancing, as said above, loreweave is probably a good go to.
  4. I would mess around with your skill links a bit in Path of Building, I think with some adjustments to your links it is possible to increase your damage.
  5. It may be worth looking into even a 5 link tremor rod (which you can force with a jeweler's touch for max 12c). Mines detonating twice is a big deal.

1 - Already done by the time you replied. My flasks were all garbage, true. That's because I'm lazy and looking into flasks is boring.
2 - Ty for the search, I fucking suck at using the engines. Bought 2 jewels 85c total.
3 - True, but I already bought a little luxury chestpiece, see above. Also, read my thoughts bellow.
4 - I'm using the Poe.Ninja heatmap feature to make my build. Not following any specific guide. I started out with Zizaran's but ditched it once I realized he doesn't even consider going for acrobatics. Acrobatics OP, yo, someday ppl will realize this. As soon as I got my acro my sabo went from dying all the time like a bitch to being almost as tanky as my lvl 90 + several exalts gladiator. It's insane. Specially now with all the one-shots. Armor and life won't save you from a 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 damage hit, but a 43% chance to dodge will!
5 - Too expensive. Wanna keep my budget tight for now. I already blew 2 E on the chestpiece, but DAMN, that thing is a beauty!

Since you're so forthcoming with tips, I would like to ask about gearing strategy. I looked and looked but found ZERO guides as to where should I look for my stats. Here's what I found out by experience so far (btw, I know about poedb!):

• Chestpieces should be treated as glorified tabula. Only rich people should want serious stats from their chests. I feel like 2E for that chestpiece I linked was a really good price.
  • Amulets are the starting point for missing stats, since so many amulets have stat granting implicits. With stats covered, we look into life, mana, damage and res, in that order.
  • Helmets: the expensive thing is having the proper enchantment. I found that helmets and gloves are great places to look for primary stats you might be missing. For instance, look at this beauty:
76A292E33C73B5FDCDFB1CCCC94FCACBA46C764A

51 dex, life, maxed out evasion on the slot AND 48% res and it only set me back a meager 10c. Gloves are gr8!

• Influenced mods are always expensive, unless coupled with other really bad rolls. So I don't plan my upgrades around them.
  • Resistances are tricky and my main question. How do you balance it all out? I'm currently overcapping pretty hard and I know res is always a suffix so...what gear piece should do the heavy lifting when it comes to res? What other suffixes should I look for once res is no longer a concern? It's a real puzzle right now, because even tho I'm overcapped, removing ANY gear piece results in no longer hitting the cap!
  • Boots, helmet and gloves can be tweaked towards maximum defenses with minimal losses to desirable enchantments, right?
  • "Belt slot" might as well be called "Stygian slot" as a vyse + jewel trumps any alternative. Ofc, that choice comes with a heafty price tag attached and is more of a lvl 90+ luxury. Meanwhile, life, str and ES belts work just fine
  • Open suffixes are better than open prefixes. Crafting life on gear is kinda bad, an actual life prefix delivers WAY more, whereas resistances are much more forgiving. You can craft +35% res or +20 ele + chaos res easy peasy. So, again: open suffix > open prefix.
Gearing is all really a balancing act. My approach to doing it is the following:
  1. If the build I am planning out requires specific unique items (for example, low life using shavs, or a whispering ice build needing a whispering ice) I acquire those items first. Keep in mind if you are planning a build around these types of items, the bare minimum requirement to build it is being able to acquire it.
  2. If you have a lot of currency, then look into damage mods on gear. Specific slots (the amulet for example) are very good at providing damage mods.
  3. Get at least 1 6 link. If its the start of the league and I have no tabula, this goes as far as running blood aqueducts until I have enough humility cards for a tabula.
  4. If you do not have much currency, just look for items with life and resistances on all remaining slots. This part may take a while if you want to be cost efficient.

After this, it then becomes a gradual game of upgrading 1 or 2 (usually 2) items at a time. This can be as simple as looking for a weapon with a higher base damage, or looking into acquiring items with influenced mods. As you pointed out, its usually very difficult to acquire a good item with an influenced mod, so my usual approach is to overcompensate on life+resistances on other items, so you can have a less good item with the influenced mod. An example of a delve exclusive mod which may be good for your character is -x% lightning resistance for nearby enemies which is locked into the helmet slot. Usually, if you are looking at an endgame character, the belt and the rings will do most of the heavy lifting with 1 or 2 resistances on other items. It is usually very easy to either make or buy a belt with very high (100%+ total) resistances and 90+ life, so they are the best slot for dumping those stats. Not only that, but they are also very easy to fossil craft, if you want damage mods to top them off. Amulets have very good damage modifiers and of coarse, there are some very powerful helmet enchantments. Regardless of what boots you are using, you almost always want movement speed on your boots so that is 1 guaranteed fixed mod slot. In terms of the value of the open prefix vs the open suffix it depends on what you are trying to do. Usually prefixes are more powerful for offensive stats and suffixes are more powerful for defensive stats. Having an open suffix does allow you to multi mod an item though, but if you plan to do that, the item needs to be worth spending 2ex on. Something which is very often overlooked is jewels. If using a jewel with life and resistances allows you to open up a very powerful offensive mod on say an amulet (for example +1 level to active intelligence gems on a spell caster), then it is very likely a worthwhile trade off to make. Chest pieces later on do not need to be a glorified tabula depending on the build. A 6 link bow will cost you as much as a tabula and you can roll decent mods on 1 fairly cheaply if your build relies heavily on gem levels (for example, poison arrow). That varies from build to build though.

If you are planning on trading a lot, then here is something you can keep in mind for building a character. Almost anything that is priced in the 1-10c range, is probably cheaper to buy than to craft. Anything in the 2-20ex range, you should at least consider possibly crafting as it might be cheaper to make and anything more expensive then that, you should reconsider using in your build because it is not only unnecessary for content completion, but is also going to be very difficult to craft (and obviously set you back a lot if you are buying it).

Sharpedge

Prophet
If you use tabula in maps you deserve all the 1-shots you get.
You can very easily make a defensible character with tabula on, which will tide you up to t10/11. At that point, you should also be able to replace it. Although I should note that you can often get a corrupted 6l with the right gem colours that has some decent stats for the same value as a tabula.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you use tabula in maps you deserve all the 1-shots you get.

Joke's on you, my sabo cleared white maps on a tabula no problem. One more time: acrobatics OP. MoM is also pretty good.

Gearing is all really a balancing act. My approach to doing it is the following:
  1. If the build I am planning out requires specific unique items (for example, low life using shavs, or a whispering ice build needing a whispering ice) I acquire those items first. Keep in mind if you are planning a build around these types of items, the bare minimum requirement to build it is being able to acquire it.
  2. If you have a lot of currency, then look into damage mods on gear. Specific slots (the amulet for example) are very good at providing damage mods.
  3. Get at least 1 6 link. If its the start of the league and I have no tabula, this goes as far as running blood aqueducts until I have enough humility cards for a tabula.
  4. If you do not have much currency, just look for items with life and resistances on all remaining slots. This part may take a while if you want to be cost efficient.

After this, it then becomes a gradual game of upgrading 1 or 2 (usually 2) items at a time. This can be as simple as looking for a weapon with a higher base damage, or looking into acquiring items with influenced mods. As you pointed out, its usually very difficult to acquire a good item with an influenced mod, so my usual approach is to overcompensate on life+resistances on other items, so you can have a less good item with the influenced mod. An example of a delve exclusive mod which may be good for your character is -x% lightning resistance for nearby enemies which is locked into the helmet slot. Usually, if you are looking at an endgame character, the belt and the rings will do most of the heavy lifting with 1 or 2 resistances on other items. It is usually very easy to either make or buy a belt with very high (100%+ total) resistances and 90+ life, so they are the best slot for dumping those stats. Not only that, but they are also very easy to fossil craft, if you want damage mods to top them off. Amulets have very good damage modifiers and of coarse, there are some very powerful helmet enchantments. Regardless of what boots you are using, you almost always want movement speed on your boots so that is 1 guaranteed fixed mod slot. In terms of the value of the open prefix vs the open suffix it depends on what you are trying to do. Usually prefixes are more powerful for offensive stats and suffixes are more powerful for defensive stats. Having an open suffix does allow you to multi mod an item though, but if you plan to do that, the item needs to be worth spending 2ex on. Something which is very often overlooked is jewels. If using a jewel with life and resistances allows you to open up a very powerful offensive mod on say an amulet (for example +1 level to active intelligence gems on a spell caster), then it is very likely a worthwhile trade off to make. Chest pieces later on do not need to be a glorified tabula depending on the build. A 6 link bow will cost you as much as a tabula and you can roll decent mods on 1 fairly cheaply if your build relies heavily on gem levels (for example, poison arrow). That varies from build to build though.

If you are planning on trading a lot, then here is something you can keep in mind for building a character. Almost anything that is priced in the 1-10c range, is probably cheaper to buy than to craft. Anything in the 2-20ex range, you should at least consider possibly crafting as it might be cheaper to make and anything more expensive then that, you should reconsider using in your build because it is not only unnecessary for content completion, but is also going to be very difficult to craft (and obviously set you back a lot if you are buying it).

This is very good information that I didn't find anywhere else. Very nice. So, to sum it up:

"I just killed Kitava and I need..."

"To cap my resistances" -> belt -> rings -> gloves -> helmet -> boots -----------> chestpiece, but life is a better priority. Chestpieces can roll a premium amount of life, but the same amount of res.
"To meet stat requirements for my gear/gems/whatever" -> amulet -> gloves/helmets/boots follow a weird rule:
Gloves can always roll Dex, Boots only roll their own stat (or 2 stats, for hybrids), helmets can always roll intelligence
. Finally, chestpieces can only roll their own stat as well, so that means a build that lacks STR is in a worse place than a build that lacks dex (easiest stat to get on gear by far IMO).
"Life, just give me more of that red stuff so I die a little less" -> chestpiece can roll more than anywhere else (up to 129) regardless of color, but then you also have to consider links. All gloves types can get up to 89 life, same with boots and amulets. Helmets and belts can provide slightly more HP, up to 99. Rings lag behind everyone else, with a 79 maximum, HOWEVER, the Vermillion ring has an implicit of 5-7% increased HP. I have one of those in my glad, but a well rolled vermillion is exalt worthy.
"The blue stuff, please" -> Mana only rolls on INT pieces of armour, and the chestpiece does not have a premium roll, unlike life. +73 is the best mana mod for the four big slots. Rings and amulets go one tier higher (+78), but that's about it.
"Moar DAMAGE" -> read fucking poedb, because damage is REALLY a case-by-case situation. I know you can get + physical to attacks on both rings and amulets, but that's about it. I think it's best to look into damage scaling from gear other than weapon once you're done with your Res/Stat/HP/Mana needs. Damage on gear feels like a bit of a luxury, at least for me. DONT FORGET GLOVES CAN HAVE A HUGE ATTACK SPEED ROLL!!!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"Life, just give me more of that red stuff so I die a little less" -> chestpiece can roll more than anywhere else (up to 129) regardless of color, but then you also have to consider links. All gloves types can get up to 89 life, same with boots and amulets. Helmets and belts can provide slightly more HP, up to 99. Rings lag behind everyone else, with a 79 maximum, HOWEVER, the Vermillion ring has an implicit of 5-7% increased HP. I have one of those in my glad, but a well rolled vermillion is exalt worthy.
This is not really true, because iirc helmets and chests can also roll various +hp/+defense and the like rolls.

Damage on gear feels like a bit of a luxury, at least for me.
Whatever you have in your weapon slot is easy to get damage on (obviously). Elemental attack builds also have several 'easy' sources of increased damage on gear. In general I agree though, rares that boost damage are a luxury, I often find it easier to pick up a damage boosting unique and then offloading more hp/resists on rares.

Sharpedge

Prophet
There are some very good influence related mods which you can craft via alt spamming/guardian exalted slamming which boost your dps by a lot, for example, Shadenuat said he is playing a bane build, having an amulet with +1 level to chaos skill gems is likely ~10% more damage for him, with that mod alone. These are mods I would almost exclusively try to craft, especially this league as most people aren't aware how easy it is to craft influence modded items this league and so they are overpriced on trade relative to the ease of crafting them.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"guardian exalted slamming" - rofl. #first worldproblems.

Just met a guy claiming his necro build is struggling to deal damage at t15 maps. Funny, my glad blazes through those maps pretty fast. He wanted to buy my awfully overpriced fusings. Blew 300, failed to link his shit.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Well, there is always chaos recipe if you want quick buck.
for the love of golden metal asscheeks of Innocence - don't do this, and not because carpal tunnel or else - just a waste of time

there is some sorcerery in RNG going on
Doing red maps and I can roll ~95% and not a single map drop
but with 2-3 map fragments-Sacrifices - they start dropping, ~3-6
huh

Other case - watchstone chase. Want to spawn elderslayer, had 1-3 maps in the inventory and after 20+ map runs - nothing happened.
Then bought and put around 6-9 and put them in the inventory and they show up.
That would be funny coincidence if it didn't happened like 5 times.

That last case is probably my paranoia fueled nonsense but whatever

Shadenuat

Arcane
for example, Shadenuat said he is playing a bane build.
hush i don't want grunker to know i am playing some op cookie cutter build. i am using sword in right hand means I am a melee build ok.
(throws another pack of blight totems on Izaro)

Legion droped me cool sword: +1 melee level, 162% phys, 18% ias, 10% phys > Chaos & mana on kill. It's one handed but I want to do something with it.

btw do you know what is better for chaos over time dot: spell damage/chaos damage or damage over time multiplicator? PoB seems to feel Disintegrating dagger is best.

Just met a guy claiming his necro build is struggling to deal damage at t15 maps. Funny, my glad blazes through those maps pretty fast. He wanted to buy my awfully overpriced fusings. Blew 300, failed to link his shit.
Most things people say in PoE community/forum/reddit can be explained with players being bad at RPGs.

I don't know if it's all RNG or has additional mechanic to it. I ran 5+ of a same map saying frost waifu summons there - nothing. Then I switched to just another map and she spawned.

Then I ran level 1 white map and she spawned again.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
for example, Shadenuat said he is playing a bane build.
hush i don't want grunker to know i am playing some op cookie cutter build. i am using sword in right hand means I am a melee build ok.
(throws another pack of blight totems on Izaro)

Legion droped me cool sword: +1 melee level, 162% phys, 18% ias, 10% phys > Chaos & mana on kill. It's one handed but I want to do something with it.

btw do you know what is better for chaos over time dot: spell damage/chaos damage or damage over time multiplicator? PoB seems to feel Disintegrating dagger is best.

Most things people say in PoE community/forum/reddit can be explained with players being bad at RPGs.

I don't know if it's all RNG or has additional mechanic to it. I ran 5+ of a same map saying frost waifu summons there - nothing. Then I switched to just another map and she spawned.

Then I ran level 1 white map and she spawned again.
Usually the order of importance for chaos DoTs is Chaos damage over time multiplier > Spell damage > gem level. But ofc, since they are all increases to whatever aspect of damage they are increasing, if you have a very large amount of any one of them, the order might switch.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
A06jYFX.jpg

done

now to run some maps for Awakening levels and then fill my map tab with trash and maps

don't forget to make popcorn when patch notes comes up tomorrow and there will be no changes for Sirius encounter

Sharpedge

Prophet
A06jYFX.jpg

done

now to run some maps for Awakening levels and then fill my map tab with trash and maps

don't forget to make popcorn when patch notes comes up tomorrow and there will be no changes for Sirius encounter
Make sure to do 1 or 2 sirus runs at awakener level 8 for that crown of the inward eye that you want so badly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
game was really fun before 8+ watchstones but now I understand the real level of autism which when into making this new Atlas

abija

Prophet
Does it even matter? All my sirius tries so far he bugged in a way that was supposed to be fixed already...

Sharpedge

Prophet
sirus is not that bad now that ive farmed him a bit, maybe even a bit too easy
The bosses mechanics are not difficult at all, what makes the boss "bad" is that if you do fail the fight, its often not due to you making a misplay, but due 1 of the many bugs plaguing the fight. I have completed it 12 times (helped some friends of mine kill theirs) and aside from when I first tried the fight and didn't know the mechanics, the times when I have died I can point to something wrong with the fight itself and say, "that killed me" rather than something I did. The major culprit for me is the corridor with the balls. Having him put the walls down on top of you is just absolute bullshit. In my opinion, the boss itself could be made more mechanically challenging, provided they actually fix the bugs. When you do fail, you should fail due to a misplay you made, not because of a mechanic which is not functioning correctly. 1 that I have not personally experienced but a friend of mine had yesterday was, "boss is floating up in the air, red circle is on the ground and he doesn't want to come down."

janior

Arcane
Patron
dunno what character you're playing but when he makes the corridor its pretty much the best time to dps him you just need to get close to him
bugs are annoying yes i had one that your friend got when he just wouldnt phase, he got stuck in the air. would be also nice if the degens were more visible on the ground, that killed me once or twice
I think ggg just wanted to make a boss that required some interaction with his mechanics but at the same time not be uber elder difficult tier
also the fight get REALLY fucked if you die more than once because he spawns extra storm if you do, very easy to brick

Sharpedge

Prophet
dunno what character you're playing but when he makes the corridor its pretty much the best time to dps him you just need to get close to him
bugs are annoying yes i had one that your friend got when he just wouldnt phase, he got stuck in the air. would be also nice if the degens were more visible on the ground, that killed me once or twice
I think ggg just wanted to make a boss that required some interaction with his mechanics but at the same time not be uber elder difficult tier
also the fight get REALLY fucked if you die more than once because he spawns extra storm if you do, very easy to brick
Playing a high movement speed pathfinder with explosive arrow. I think due to my character's speed, I often move outside of where he casts the corridor before he has finished casting it and as a net result I end up inside the wall of the corridor itself (so I cannot move at all) rather than inside of the corridor.

janior

Arcane
Patron
if you dont get completly out and stand near him you will get good 5 seconds of free dps but yeah might be a bit hard for some charcters
how do those new exalts work is it like normal exalt or can you slam them without having open prefix suffix?

Sharpedge

Prophet
if you dont get completly out and stand near him you will get good 5 seconds of free dps but yeah might be a bit hard for some charcters
how do those new exalts work is it like normal exalt or can you slam them without having open prefix suffix?
They are actually very powerful. You need to have an open prefix or suffix but what they do is they both add influence and they add a guaranteed mod out of one of the mods of that influence type. A crusader orb will always add 1 of the crusader mods. It still deals with the weightings of those mods when it rolls them, but the chances of adding the influenced mod you want is significantly higher with those orbs than through re-rolling an item. You cannot use them on an item which already has that influence however, so you cannot use them to force 1 specific mod. If you have 3 prefixes though and you slam, a suffix is guaranteed. The awakener orb transfers an influence from 1 influenced item to another influenced item which has a different influence, destroying the first item in the process. In addition to that, if there are any influenced mods on either item, it picks 1 influenced mod from the sacrificed item, 1 influenced mod from the item which is having the influence added and it creates the new rare item with those 2 mods +2 more mods at random.

An easy example of where this is useful is if you want to craft say a shaped helmet to use with eternities shroud, that happens to have the helmet enchant you want (I will use the arc chains an additional time helmet enchantment as an example). You could obtain any helmet with the arc enchantment, slam it with the warlord's orb. Then say you wanted +1 to maximum power charges on the final helmet, you can then alteration spam that helmet until it has +1 maximum power charges. You can then get an awakener's orb and any shaped helmet and transfer the shaper influence to the warlord's helmet. You will end up with a rare helmet that is guaranteed to have +1 to maximum power charges as 1 of its mods, as well as the helmet enchantment for arc.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
A PSA for those running Mind over Matter: Since I don't know when, there's a new Prefix that can roll on Mana Flasks called Enduring. This makes it so that the flask effect does not wear off at Full Mana. So far so good, but the truly ridiculous thing about these flasks is that their uses actually queue infinitely. It's been about three minutes or so since I Alt-Tab'ed out of the game, browsed to this thread, and started composing this message: My 5 3.8 second Divine Mana Flask (3.8 because the mod comes with reduced duration) is still running.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
due to my character's speed, I often move outside of where he casts the corridor before he has finished casting it and as a net result I end up inside the wall of the corridor itself (so I cannot move at all)
You have been captured BEAST

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom