Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder 2e vs. D&D 5e

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Eisenheinrich, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Personally I have been out of the pnp for about a decade

^ Top  
  2. J1M Arcane

J1M
    A shocking lack of interest in this.

^ Top  
  3. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Shocking? Nah, 2e is bloated for no other reason than to satisfy the numbers people, who like modifiers up the ass. Pathfinder 1e was a success because it took a game that was bloated, refreshed it and made the rules more streamlined and easier. I don't know what the goal of 2e is.

^ Top  
  4. Morblot Savant Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    To make money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    Man, I tried to look up Kurt Wiegel’s opinion on 2e and I just can’t find it. If Kurt Wiegel doesn’t give a shit about 2e, why should I?!?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Wiegel is fun to watch, even if he often doesn't go too in-depth and is not very informative but, man... Why do you need his opinion for a system whose CORE book is 640 pages long?

^ Top  
  7. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Maybe WOTC secretly bought Pathfinder and this is there behind the scenes play to completely destroy the game line.

^ Top  
  8. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    For some reason I think there's a limited overlap between hardcore numbers gamers and politically correct SJW gamers. So I'm not sure exactly who the target audience for PF2 is...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    It has happened years ago. The PnP hobby is infested with these weirdos.

Kurt Wiegel doesn't give a shit about most games these days. That's good, because he's a guy I respect, and the last thing I'd want to see is him pandering to the NPCs or getting harassed by them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    ^ Top  
  10. _Vic_ Novice

_Vic_
    Pathfinder 2e has a D&D 4e vibe to me, to be honest. Looks like a D&D 4.1 e for the ones that do not want to use D&D5e. Like Pathfinder was a D&D3.75 for the ones that hated the 4e. And that worked well for them.
    I´d have to say that the game was also very well made and balanced over the years. They allow playing nicely with miniatures too.

To be honest I´ve yet to play 2e (It came this month) but there is this video of a campaign in pure Pathfinder 2e and seems nice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RypeXjabU

Don't worry, it is not Critical Role, the GM is Jason Bulmahn, one of the creators of the 2e and actually an incredible GM

^ Top  
  11. _Vic_ Novice

_Vic_
    About the video, I forgot to say the GM is very good but most of the players are great. You know you have invested players in your campaign if they actually write the games of the characters and places to refer correctly to them :hero:

^ Top  
  12. Alex betthurt

Alex
    No, look, you are being rather unfair here. I am the farthest thing from a 3e apologist, but the take 10 and take 20 rules make "sense", at least in what they are trying to accomplish. All the take 10 and take 20 rules are doing is giving the DM a measure of what can be accomplished with ease and with care. Take a sage with access to a library. What kind of information is he likely to be able to research in a little while, in a week and in a month? You can easily figure that out by using the CR of different secrets and the take X rules. This simply helps establish what those CR numbers actually mean to the world. If the skill of a blacksmith is greater than the challenge rating of an item, he should be able to produce them quickly (and the DM is free to not even roll for that). If he needs to take 10, then he needs to spend a bigger chunk of time working on them, while needing to take 20 means that it is a slow and somewhat expensive labour..

I actually don't like these take X rules because they try to formalise this idea in a way that is too simple and that works the same way to stuff that is very different from each other. Carefully picking a lock is the same as carefully researching a subject, which is the same as carefully building a boat, etc. Another problem is that the skill ranks coupled with levels are too much of an influence. I think it is really silly to have a master blacksmith also be a level 17 character or something. Also, the d20 used to determine the result of the roll is way too random, I think a 3d6 works better for stuff outside combat.

It has been a long time since there was anything new and interesting being released. The exceptions usually not tilting much toward SJWism at all.

^ Top  
  13. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    What game applies well for this guide? If I want to whip up something quick for some PnP n00bs without having to memorize a whole manual? I know I can pull Fanhunter for modern settings, what's the fantasy equivalent?

^ Top  
  14. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    ^ Top  
  15. pakoito Arcane

pakoito
    Not OSR, just any setting. I've seen recommendations for Dungeon World for example.

^ Top  
  16. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    The Primer is mostly just a reference to the way D&D was played in "ye olde days" when D&D was three little brown books, and to give people who've never played it a window into how old-school play differs from WotC era D&D.

If I was going to play a modern game that did a good job of capturing that aesthetic I'd probably use something like Knave. Ideally what I'd be looking for is anything that is minimalist in its rules, that can be easily modified to taste without breaking a bunch of interconnected systems. Caveat: rules-light doesn't necessarily mean simplistic; the GM has a higher burden for adjudicating the outcomes that result from this kind of play. If you aren't comfortable leaning on your own judgement, or extemporizing then it might be a struggle, but if you're the kind of person who prefers rules as a framework instead of needing an explicit rule for every situation, that you can hack and modify to fit your own vision for a setting then I think you can get a lot of mileage out of the Primer (and games like Knave, OD&D, B/X D&D, whatever).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)