Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Ruchy

Scholar
Just thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread to discuss builds and rules etc..
My question is, is it worth it to take Rogue levels as a wildshape druid for Sneak attack bonus?

Vatnik Wumao
Does 16-13-14-7-18-7 seem like a good distribution for a Blight Druid?
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

Depends what you want to do with it. There are many different ways to play Druids. Also, you didn't specify a race.
Half orc. As for playstyle, I'm thinking of focusing on wildshaping and going meele so I can reap the perks of miasma and plaguebearer.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
What's the best animal companion? I have a bear and I don't really like it. It's too big to fight in corridors and it has no mobility skill to get around that.

Yosharian

Arcane
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

Depends what you want to do with it. There are many different ways to play Druids. Also, you didn't specify a race.
Half orc. As for playstyle, I'm thinking of focusing on wildshaping and going meele so I can reap the perks of miasma and plaguebearer.
You're gonna struggle.

Unfortunately the really good Wildshape builds rely on some stuff that isn't in the game, such as the Shaping Focus feat, and the entire grappling mechanic.

If the Wild enchantment is in the game, then it could work, but I don't know if it is.

I would go for:

Str 19
Dex 10
Con 10
Int 13
Wis 17
Cha 07

Put a point into Strength, then Wisdom, then two into Strength. Your AC will be crap, but that's what happens when you wildshape, it's pointless trying to fix it.

What I'd suggest, is using this stat spread, and getting the Trip, Combat Expertise (prereq), and Greater Trip feats. With your mega-strength from your base stats and your Wildshape, your strength should get very high, which should allow you to trip almost anyone. Then you can pound them into the dust with things like Power Attack, etc.

You can also get Tandem Trip on this character, and a character who will work in a team with this character, and you'll stand a better chance of getting trips then. Of course, this is a feat investment for two characters, but it's a strong feat. Bosses are going to fucking hate you. Probably.

Take Weapon Focus: Natural, if you can, and anything else which improves your total attack bonus, because that's the number that has to exceed their CMD in order for the trip attempt to succeed.

Some enemies will be resistant or immune to Trip, and it may be that lategame everything will have big CMDs, preventing this from being effective. I can't think of any other way to make this kind of character work, though.

Last edited:

Ruchy

Scholar
I'm running a smilodon. He is my dedicated back line hunter he wrecks shit. I think 13 Dex is too low for wild shape, you will want ideally at least 14, I guess that's 3rd is were your level attribute is going?

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm running a smilodon. He is my dedicated back line hunter he wrecks shit. I think 13 Dex is too low for wild shape, you will want ideally at least 14, I guess that's 3rd is were your level attribute is going?
That extra point of Dexterity is not going to miraculously make your Wildshape form tanky. It's impossible to tank when Wildshaped, it is simply pointless to even try.

If you went for things like a Monk dip, and then an Alchemist dip, etc etc, you could get all kinds of toys which would improve your AC while Wildshaped. And then... your Wildshape will have trash damage, because you won't be able to access the better forms in a timely manner. I mean you'll get them eventually, but you'll be behind the curve.

Without Shaping Focus, multiclassing is counter-productive, and without multiclassing, you'll never have decent AC.

Forget your AC and focus on your strengths, which is having access to very high strength Large and Huge polymorphs.

Last edited:

Ruchy

Scholar
That extra point of Dexterity is not going to miraculously make your Wildshape form tanky. It's impossible to tank when Wildshaped, it is simply pointless to even try.

If you went for things like a Monk dip, and then an Alchemist dip, etc etc, you could get all kinds of toys which would improve your AC while Wildshaped. And then... your Wildshape will have trash damage, because you won't be able to access the better forms.

Without Shaping Focus, multiclassing is counter-productive, and without multiclassing, you'll never have decent AC.

Forget your AC and focus on your strengths, which is having access to very high strength Large and Huge polymorphs.

OK that's a better idea you're right.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I read that Crusader is pretty shit, but how is Sacred Huntsmaster? I wonder what would be a good stat distribution for it. What about Freebooter?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Any point to dexterity and wisdom if you're a non-tanking paladin? Wondering if putting those lower than 10 hurts like hell or not.

Yosharian

Arcane
Any point to dexterity and wisdom if you're a non-tanking paladin? Wondering if putting those lower than 10 hurts like hell or not.
It's probably not worth dumping those two attributes, but it depends on the specific build.

Yosharian

Arcane
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

An alternative could be to utilise the Abyssal Bloodline, which grants +2/4/6 inherent strength bonuses, with the Form Of The Dragon polymorph spells.

I might draw up a build later tonight, it seems interesting.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
What do you guys do with Tristian? I tried him out, he seemed utterly worthless other than as a healbot. Does he get better later on if you stick to his main class?

Vatnik Wumao
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

An alternative could be to utilise the Abyssal Bloodline, which grants +2/4/6 inherent strength bonuses, with the Form Of The Dragon polymorph spells.

So you're recommending to start with a sorc level for AB and then multiclass or did I misunderstand?

Yosharian

Arcane
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

So you're recommending to start with a sorc level for AB and then multiclass or did I misunderstand?
Sec, I'll post it in a few minutes, just got home

Ok, so this is just a really quick concept, but anyway...

Race: Aasimar (Str/Cha heritage)
Str 19
Dex 10
Con 10
Int 13
Wis 07
Cha 19

Sorcerer: Abyssal Bloodline

Strengths:
  • Summoning: everything you summon has DR/Good, which means only Good creatures can penetrate it. Suggest you take things like Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning (Hopefully it stacks with Added Summoning from the Abyssal line)
  • Polymorph into a dragon using Form of the Dragon: once you get access to these spells, you can start Shapeshifting into a dragon and wrecking people's faces.
Weaknesses:
  • AC: don't try to tank with this build. You could dip one level of Monk to get better AC.
  • Saves: you could take two levels of Paladin to increase your saves, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Quick concept:
  • Summon all kinds of horrible shit
  • Whenever you summon horrible shit, it gets DR/Good, and two extra creatures summoned, as well as increased hit die
  • Once you're done summoning, shapeshift into a fucking Huge Dragon with 48 strength and 6 natural attacks and wreck their stupid faces while they're busy trying to deal with your summons
Strength summary:
  • Start with 19 strength
  • Increase strength at each level up: +5 strength = 24 strength
  • Polymorph Form of the Dragon III (size): +10 strength = 34 strength
  • Equip +6 belt of strength (enhancement): 34 + 6 = 40 strength
  • Abyssal Bloodline (inherent) strength bonus: 40 + 6 = 46 strength
  • Cast the Rage spell (morale): 46 + 2 = 48 strength
The only thing left that you could add onto this would be the alchemical bonus from Alchemist but I'm not sure you want to dip into that just to get another bonus, it's not very optimal.

Last edited:
What do you guys do with Tristian? I tried him out, he seemed utterly worthless other than as a healbot. Does he get better later on if you stick to his main class?
I decided to try to make him a mystic theurge. There's a sorcerer archetype that uses wisdom instead of charisma, and his wisdom is decent enough. I'm hoping to give his so many spells he could throw them around all day without running out.

Ruchy

Scholar
Str 16
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 07
Wis 18
Cha 07

Sec, I'll post it in a few minutes, just got home

Ok, so this is just a really quick concept, but anyway...

Race: Aasimar (Str/Cha heritage)
Str 19
Dex 10
Con 10
Int 13
Wis 07
Cha 19

Sorcerer: Abyssal Bloodline

Strengths:
  • Summoning: everything you summon has DR/Good, which means only Good creatures can penetrate it. Suggest you take things like Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning (Hopefully it stacks with Added Summoning from the Abyssal line)
  • Polymorph into a dragon using Form of the Dragon: once you get access to these spells, you can start Shapeshifting into a dragon and wrecking people's faces.
Weaknesses:
  • AC: don't try to tank with this build. You could dip one level of Monk to get better AC.
  • Saves: you could take two levels of Paladin to increase your saves, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Quick concept:
  • Summon all kinds of horrible shit
  • Whenever you summon horrible shit, it gets DR/Good, and two extra creatures summoned, as well as increased hit die
  • Once you're done summoning, shapeshift into a fucking Huge Dragon with 48 strength and 6 natural attacks and wreck their stupid faces while they're busy trying to deal with your summons
Strength summary:
  • Start with 19 strength
  • Increase strength at each level up: +5 strength = 24 strength
  • Polymorph Form of the Dragon III (size): +10 strength = 34 strength
  • Equip +6 belt of strength (enhancement): 34 + 6 = 40 strength
  • Abyssal Bloodline (inherent) strength bonus: 40 + 6 = 46 strength
  • Cast the Rage spell (morale): 46 + 2 = 48 strength

This sounds..... really fucking fun. Really trying to finish the game before re rolling but it is getting harder and harder to resist.

Yosharian

Arcane
This sounds..... really fucking fun. Really trying to finish the game before re rolling but it is getting harder and harder to resist.

Druid Wildshape isn't bad but the shapes you get aren't the best, the best ones are Beast Shape IV and Form of the Dragon III, which Druid doesn't get through Wildshape. Hell, Druid doesn't even get them as spells let alone through Wildshape, which is kind of retarded.

The inherent bonus from the Abyssal Bloodline is very rare, normally you have to Wish for those kind of bonuses.

If you decide to multiclass to Monk or Pally, you lose out on this:

Demonic Might (Su): At 20th level, the power of the Abyss flows through you. You gain immunity to electricity and poison. You also gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, and gain telepathy with a range of 60 feet (allowing you to communicate with any creature that can speak a language).

Also you'll get Form of the Dragon III 3 levels later than you usually would, so it's debatable whether it's worth it.

Oh and I forgot to write this in the early post but the reason I wrote Int 13 was so you can take Spell Specialization which is quite a nice feat, select your best Summoning spell at each level and your summons will be created at a higher level. I think. Whatever, it's a nice feat.

Yosharian

Arcane
How would you build a Bard/Crusader? It's a class concept that I find interesting.
Uhh.. you wouldn't? Mixing two caster classes is a horrible idea, even if you went Mystic Theurge that would still suck because you'd only get the spells and not the class bonuses from Bard.

Not to mention that you'd have two different casting ability scores, which would be a nightmare.

Also Crusader is just a shit archetype to begin with.

The only semi-decent way to combine arcane and divine casting is if you go Eccelestehurgegeigheiughe and Sorcerer with the Empyreal archetype, that way both your classes work off Wisdom. Then you go Mystic Theurge and it's not half-bad once you hit the higher levels. Early levels are shit, though.

Last edited:

Ruchy

Scholar
I am hoping that unlocking Smilodon at level 8 will increase the damage and druid spells are all fairly good so not too bad but probably not a power gamer choice.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How would you build a Bard/Crusader? It's a class concept that I find interesting.
Uhh.. you wouldn't? Mixing two caster classes is a horrible idea, even if you went Mystic Theurge that would still suck because you'd only get the spells and not the class bonuses from Bard.

Not to mention that you'd have two different casting ability scores, which would be a nightmare.

Also Crusader is just a shit archetype to begin with.

What about a Bard/Fighter or Bard/Paladin?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom