Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
I was thinking about one other Cleric which might be interesting (except Erastil Animal+Community), also to start as one on Unfair - either Irori or Nethys Evil cleric with Negative Channeling and Rune & Knowledge domains. Runes + Channeling is damage going around AC during hardest part of the game (Ch 1.) and Knowledge later gives roll twice aura for a single attack for everyone. You also get True Stike, Protection from Arrows Communal and some other stuff like immunity to crits and a disabling rune.

Also I think with new items from DLC - an amulet and staff, which give new Profane bonuses to INT, INT casters might match DC of CHA casters now. You must be evil though. Before I'd go for Gnome Sorc CHA based with Arcane bloodline for +2, now might also go for... INT Sorc with Arcane bloodline for +2.
Yeah not a big change lol.

DLC also made me think about building Thug/Freebooter with Menacing Combat Style.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Crossblooded Sorcerer in Eldritch Arcana gave me so many options for class that made my head spin. It works pretty nicely too in last version, I noticed no bugs.

Being evil is always big plus for conjurers - high level summon spells get you melees, not friendly firing casters with bad AI.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Man, necromancer gets so many cool spells, will have to play one on the next playthrough, especially as there's nice gear for them too.

Guys a thematic build larping a chaotic evil crazy killer chad.

i was tired of spending dozens of hours tinkering, dipping and min-maxing insanely efficient builds. just wanted a simple strong melee fighter with self buff capabilities. And this build is lore & larp friendly as your magic bloodline and racial heritage matches.

Strong Dumb Demonic Magus Chad.

Tiefling - pitborn ( +2 str +2 cha -2 int +2 racial bonus to confirm critical hits)

You could go Aasmir - Angelkin for race and avoid the -2 int penalty and get free daily cast of lesser restoration which is fucking awesome.

but you know demonic chaotic evil chad larp.

start with 20 str 12 dex 14 con 6 int 8 wis 16 cha (yes i know one stat should be odd... didn't try too hard on 25 point buy)

16 cha is just to cast 6th level spells without cha boosting item. You could get away lowering charisma to 12,a nd putting those points in con/dex (int if you go angelkin route for a few more skills). But a chad doesn't need fancy skills and smartness.

skill: persuasion all in.

Class: eldritch scion all the way to level 20.

Bloodline: Abyssal bloodline ( +6 str bonus @ 17, 4 at 13 , 2 at 9)

Alignment: Chaotic Evil for max larp.

level up points: all in strength; the level 20 point can go where-ever (30 str naked @ level 20; 38 str with onslaught heavy armor; 44 if you get some buff bot to cast legendary proportions)

weapon: scimitar (sweet crit range for 1H martial melee weapon; and with the +5 runeblade enchantment scimitar which negates -2 atk penalty of spellcombat)

spells; focus on personal buffs mainly. shocking grasp, frigid touch etc are nice too. Avoid save or suck spells.

feats: weapon focus, improved critical, power attack, intimidating prowess, corrugan smash, outflank, imp. initiative, critical focus, weapon specialization etc.

didn't bother with meta-magic or spell penetration feats; cause building for melee damage here. they self buffs are nice (maybe get extend spell for precombat longer lasting buffing).

enduring blade, ghost blade, the arcanas which allow you to ignore dex bonus and resolve melee attacks as touch attacks are pretty sweet too.

mostly touch of fatigue is cast when foe in melee range and use that extra attack from spell strike to deliver a nice stronk additional melee hit with scimitar. power attack+ intimidating prowess (and your obscene str) + corrguan smash gives a nice side debuff to foe you are smashing. You could go skill focus persuasion for stacking more skill bonuses but eh, you aren't a fighter or rouge with tons of feats/combat tricks so feats are better used elsewhere.

Also; I found that suing the spell slots for self buffs (enlarge person, stoneskin, shield, displacement, mirror image, greater invisibility, true strike, haste, transformation etc.) are much more valuable than touch damage on the toughest foes cause spell resistance.

If it is a dodgy foe, you have arcana to ignore dex bonus.

For heavily armored foe, you have arcana to ignore armor. you also have brilliant energy and enduring blade.

If all else fails, to hit the foe use spell combat with true strike once foe is in melee range and make mince meat out of it. Reason i avoided metamagic is with spell combat you can cast standard action spells while smashing in melee if you micromanage. and most meta-magic increases cast to full round. This helps in those "lol you alone nigger with no time to prebuff yourself" fights.

To make spell combat work it is micro managey but fun to play.

Fuck tanking (use spells and heavy armor to survive), just charge and smash everyone with 6 power attacks at 1.5x str bonus (should give 1x with spell combat but eh) 3 with BaB, +1 with transformation at lv16+, + 1 with haste/speed weapon arcana, +1 with spell strike touch of fatigue. +5 full plate with shield spell, stoneskin, displacement, mirror image you will do alright on PnP difficulty.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Did a very similar char once without crazy killer part.

Only advice I can give is to take a look on Eldritch Arcana for magus goodies. Orc Bloodline there is pretty good if you are in the mood for orcish chaotic evil larp.

power attack+ intimidating prowess (and your obscene str) + corrguan smash

Weapon Focus - Dazzling Display - Shatter Defenses will be nice addition here also to attack flat-footed AC after Cornugon Smash.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'd avoid eldritch arcana, haven't been updated for a while and it's impossible to remove from the saves.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So it hasn't been updated. But what's the problem if its still working perfectly fine?

Eh, another player charmed by a Scion's brute strength. It's really not a very good archetype IMO. Of course, Charisma focus can be kinda nice.

Daidre

Arcane
I like Scions. As RP concept among maguses I prefer Sword Saints - they are all pretty, elegant and romantic but heavy micro for Shock Grasps gets old fast. And spontaneous casting is always attractive to me - I forget to adapt my spell books for dungeons bit too often and can drag useless spells in 2/3 of my slots.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Aw they fixed Holy Sword stacking with everyting. Although you can still cast it on pets.
Honestly now if I wanted to play Paladin I'd pick one which can't cast spells but gains extra feats, Guardian or something, so bad Paladin spells are. I was interested and went through ~20 Paladin archetypes and they all kinda look meh or specialized for some roleplay. So uninspired. I only liked one (as suited for CRPG) - which bonds with armor instead of weapon, but to be in game there have to be armor enhancements for it. For example, he can make his armor grant full AC against incorporeal creatures. And yeah there are no mounts.

I don't think Paizo likes Paladins much especially when I look, yeah, at classes like Sword Saint which make old me used to HEAVY penalties to combining martial might and spells go :retarded: lolz I add int to dodge and to initiative and I aoo and cast spells and stuff :shittydog: class for modern I guess :M

Haplo
a grimm spawn tiefling sword saint works fine too. but he is a sissy dancer. not a strong charismatic chad who doesn't give a shit about memorising spells.

Shadenuat
Because Paizo's sjw librul infestation doesn't want a strong man who lifts dedicating his life to God's glory to be an inspiration.

On the other hand, a sissy faggy naked dancing fencer fits their agenda very well so make them more OP. so retarded shit loke int to dodge ac from Sword Saint stacks with that same feature from duelist.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, after a long time, recently I have been showered with great scimitars.
Earlier there was only Slicer (+2 Runic Mageblade) and long time nothing.

But recently Nazrielle brought me Divine Intervention, a +4 Holy Fire that also casts Divine Power, so pretty cool.
And yesterday in early Act V I have found:
Thundercrack: +5 Shock Agile Runic Mageblade
Thundering Scimitar of the Bear God: +4 Shock, Sonic, casts Call Lightning on crit, provides Shock & Sonic damage to natural attacks of the wielder and its animal companion (more bonus damage if AC is bear or if wildshaped into one).

Well, guess scimitars are really a decent choice for 1-handed arms. Too bad their base damage dice are low.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Well, after a long time, recently I have been showered with great scimitars.
Earlier there was only Slicer (+2 Runic Mageblade) and long time nothing.

But recently Nazrielle brought me Divine Intervention, a +4 Holy Fire that also casts Divine Power, so pretty cool.
And yesterday in early Act V I have found:
Thundercrack: +5 Shock Runic Mageblade
Thundering Scimitar of the Bear God: +4 Shock, Sonic, casts Call Lightning on crit, provides Shock & Sonic damage to natural attacks of the wielder and its animal companion (more bonus damage if AC is bear or if wildshaped into one).

Well, guess scimitars are really a decent choice for 1-handed arms. Too bad their base damage dice are low.
Base damage is generally better than a larger crit range. I can't recall if there is a point when the expected damage of a weapon with a larger crit range beats that of a larger base damage (e.g., d6, 18-20/x2 vs d8, 19-20/x2).

Daidre

Arcane
Crit is much more important in the game. AOO procs from Outflank and Seize the Moment so good that I barely look at anything with 19-20 or 20 crit range before Keen and feats. I only know one weapon in the game (godly 2h axe) that is worth using despite 19-20 crit range (better than generic axe and x3 damage).

Incorruptible Petal +5 Glaive is good too despite 20/x3, but I usually try to give it to feat starved builds.

Pity that Falchions are so badly represented. Only one good unique in the end of ch 7 is ridiculous. Everything else for endgame is generic +4 - 5 Keen.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Crit is especially useful for maguses because spells also crit.

Thunder God scimitar is thus the best weapon in the game. And the most lulzy too.
Spells with a rolled attack only crit on 20/x2. But, you want to see something hilarious? 3.5 has the Spellsword with the Channel Spell ability, which allows him to channel any spell he can cast (and has memorised, if wizard based) into his opponent on a successful attack.

"I will Channel a lightning bolt and slap him."*roll vs touch AC and crits*

giphy.gif

Cael

Arcane
Spells use weapon crit range for maguses with spellstrike.
I know. Dumbest thing ever.

They had a very, very mild version of that in 3.5 with the spell Spiritual Weapon. It always did d8 (+1 per x caster level) damage, but its crit was dependent on the weapon it is emulating. The weapon is the favoured weapon of your diety. You better hope your deity's weapon is a rapier or something similar...

To then apply that to any spell a magus can cast...

giphy.gif

Daidre

Arcane

It is melee touch only. In P:K most powerful compatible spell before metamagic applied is Vampiric Touch level 3, but you are stuck with lvl 1 Shock Grasp for almost all game because it competes with Haste and Stinking Cloud. In most cases it is easier to hit them in the head with club then even try this spellstrike shenanigans.

One of the most disappointing class features.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

It is melee touch only. In P:K most powerful compatible spell before metamagic applied is Vampiric Touch level 3, but you are stuck with lvl 1 Shock Grasp for almost all game. In most cases it is easier to hit them in the head with club then even try this spellstrike shenanigans.

One of the most disappointing class features.
Chill Touch doesn't exist? Touch of Idiocy?

Daidre

Arcane
Not included. Lake any other melee touch on spell lvl 4-6.

Eldritch Archer is actually more attractive to use with Spellstrike thanks to Scorching Ray and Hellfire Ray. No problems with move action eating their full attack too.

Daidre

Arcane
That gives you all the benefits and no problems.

There is huge downside that magus with a charged spell moves with the speed of dying snail. When you cast it out of aggro radius everything will be destroyed long before he gets into fray.

Daidre

Arcane
Shock Grasp with a nice flavor of suicide. Damage definitely worth it :)

Sorry, I just imagined him trying to deliver it into the pack of Wild Hunt alone.

Cael

Arcane

Eldritch Archer is actually more attractive to use with Spellstrike thanks to Scorching Ray and Hellfire Ray. No problems with move action eating their full attack too.
Chill Touch is level 1. 1d6 damage (+1 Strength damage, Fort negates). Number of touches = caster level. Fun interpretation: number of attacks = caster level. Level 20 = 20 touches that round, with a potential of 20d6 damage + 20 Str damage. Usual interpretation: you get to attack number of times as dictated by your BAB per round, but you get to use it over multiple rounds until the attacks are used up.

Touch of Idiocy is level 2. 1d6 penalty to all three mental stats, but never below 1. Crit with this and it is game over for casters.

Daidre

Arcane
Late game the spellstrike is almost useless, because of the danger of getting AoO's unnecessarily. The surest way to success is buffs, and staying out of range of most attacks by using large weapons. It is only useful midgame and that too very sparingly because you get too few uses. In early game, it is too hard to pull off without getting hit in the face.
I would rather depend on Mirror images, enlarges and weapon enchants to stay alive and let die, thank you.

In most cases it is easier to hit them in the head with club then even try this spellstrike shenanigans.

And we returned back where we started)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Chill Touch is level 1. 1d6 damage (+1 Strength damage, Fort negates). Number of touches = caster level. Fun interpretation: number of attacks = caster level. Level 20 = 20 touches that round, with a potential of 20d6 damage + 20 Str damage. Usual interpretation: you get to attack number of times as dictated by your BAB per round, but you get to use it over multiple rounds until the attacks are used up.

Touch of Idiocy is level 2. 1d6 penalty to all three mental stats, but never below 1. Crit with this and it is game over for casters.

Yeah, not included.

Frigid Touch is in though. On crit stagger for a looong time, no save.

Also the basic Shocking Grasp is fun with the Eldiritch Arcana mod and some metamagics (and non-ES magus): Get Magical Lineage and Metamagic Master traits and at level 10 cast level 2 Intensified, Empowered, rod maximized 90 damage Shocking Grasps (180 on crit) - plus your usual attacks. A standard Magus with Improved Spell Recall can even do this 20+ times per day (well, there probably aren't that many maximize rods available and you probably won't get multiple copies of Leviatan's Robes either, but still, pretty good even without that).

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

Yeah, not included.

Frigid Touch is in though. On crit stagger for a looong time, no save.

Also the basic Shocking Grasp is fun with the Eldiritch Arcana mod and some metamagics (and non-ES magus): Get Magical Lineage and Metamagic Master traits and at level 10 cast level 2 Intensified, Empowered, rod maximized 90 damage Shocking Grasps (180 on crit) - plus your usual attacks. A standard Magus with Improved Spell Recall can even do this 20+ times per day (well, there probably aren't that many maximize rods available, but still, pretty good even without that).
Could be worse. Could be Shivering Touch.

Lesser Shivering Touch. Cle/Sorc/Wiz 1. 1d6 Dex damage on touch. No save.
Shivering Touch. Cle/Sorc/Wiz 3. 3d6 Dex damage on touch. No save.

Crit with the level 3 version and it is good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom