Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Undead is not Humanoid, just like Outsider is not Humanoid.

As for pounce, devs probably just forgot. I generally find various shifting in pk and system in general meh compared to good old turn bear = 3 attacks at 18/00 or edwin devouring liches as mustard jelly.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Undead is not Humanoid, just like Outsider is not Humanoid.

As for pounce, devs probably just forgot. I generally find various shifting in pk and system in general meh compared to good old turn bear = 3 attacks at 18/00 or edwin devouring liches as mustard jelly.

Yes, Feyspeaker Val Grappling that Linnorm in Shambling Mound Wild Shape when I didn't even know that Grapple was in the game was enormously satisfying.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
As someone who's a total scrub wtih druids can you guys explain to me why one would ever pick Animal companion over Animal domain+boon companion on a pure druid?
The animal domain gives you a underleveled companion that you can fix with a feat right?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As someone who's a total scrub wtih druids can you guys explain to me why one would ever pick Animal companion over Animal domain+boon companion on a pure druid?
The animal domain gives you a underleveled companion that you can fix with a feat right?
There are only two advantages:
- you have your animal companions before level 4 (relevant probably only if you are playing with unfair difficulty);
- you don't waste a feat.

You need to decide if a feat is worth one domain spell slot each level.

Desiderius

Patron

Been going back and forth on that very issue with Feysepaker Val.

Main reason is that most of the Animal Domain spells are pretty crappy since the vast majority of dangerous Animals aren't Animals (they're Magical Beasts). There's also a completely useless to Druids Beast Shape spell. Clerics can convert them to Healing spells which aren't very good either while Druids can convert them to Summons, which are better, except Feyspeaker, which doesn't get Spontaneous Summoning.

You're also feat starved in general since you get no bonus feats anywhere, unlike pure casters like Sorc and Wiz.

The other question is how you're spending your action economy in combat. Pure casting is uniquely viable for Druid since you have multiple use per cast spells like Call Lightning and Cave Fangs, and pure casters are strongly incentivized against multi-classing. On the other hand if you're planning to be fighting more in combat you can focus more on using your spells for utility and buffing or spells that don't need to beat saves like Spit Venom and Frigid Touch, in which case you can pick up some levels in another class for more feats or what not. In that case you'd rather save Boon Companion to cover those levels.

Desiderius

Patron
Why Wild Shape?

(1) fun

(2) more attacks earlier, easier to hit with them since not iterative. Pretty much the point of Feyspeaker class since you're 1/2 BAB but have access to Mirror Image/Displacement/Greater Invis that greatly increase your survivability in combat.

(3) unique effects (Wolf free Trip, Shambling Mound Grapple, Smilodon Pounce) Bear Rend is just some damage and evidently Leopard isn't Pouncing.

Once you climb the steep learning curve of what works with Wild Shape and what doesn't it can be good action economy for any 1/2 caster class to use for regular fights.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I prefer Blight for shapeshifter. Simply more fun that way. Feyspeaker progression with actual illusion spells is too slow to help early anyway.

Developers again missed opportunity there to allow you to turn into giant insects from Nausicaa or into a swarm ruining my fun.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I prefer Blight for shapeshifter. Simply more fun that way. Feyspeaker progression with actual illusion spells is too slow to help early anyway.

Developers again missed opportunity there to allow you to turn into giant insects from Nausicaa or into a swarm ruining my fun.

As if Smilodon pet needed the help. You get Image at 6, that's plenty early. Until then you can just cheer on your Smilodon and throw a few Snowballs. Or if you're doing it with Val she can just do her tank/Dazzling Display thing.

Desiderius

Patron
that's all casualism

Now you're just trolling.

Lvl 5 Unfair

Lvl 5 Unfair Boggart Champ.jpg

Centipede would be a good late game choice but last I checked its Vermin Immunities weren't working.

Shadenuat

Arcane
because they gave it magical beast subtype not vermin or something like that.

or they just forgot. :M it's immune to trip though.

Silly Germans

How do you actually test your builds ? Is there a convenient way to do it ?

Desiderius

Patron
How do you actually test your builds ? Is there a convenient way to do it ?

I keep saves at level-ups during playthroughs. You can load those and respec at the tavern on normal difficulty.

Best way to get a feel for a class/lineup is to play a few levels though. Varnhold DLC is a good opportunity there since it starts on the brink of lvl 6.

Silly Germans

How exactly does the critical hit mechanic/confirmation roll work ?
Assume i have a threat range of 19-20. I attack with attack bonus 10 an Armor class 40.

Now i roll a 19.
Will this immediately miss or does this attack threaten for a critical hit ?

The other case i am not sure about is what happens if i roll a natural 20. Afaik
it should hit since 20's are always hits( keeping displacement and other stuff out of the discussion).
Now this natural 20 should threaten the target. All possible outcomes for the threatening roll are below armor class 40,
so it should always be a normal hit since the critical threat can't be confirmed. Is this also the case
if the threaten roll is a 20 ? Or does a 20-20 roll always land a critical hit ?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
If you roll a 19+10 on 40 AC that's a miss. Since you didn't hit you don't get to roll on crit.
The first roll determines whether or not you hit the target. D20 + bonuses - Target AC.
If you hit and the natural roll is within your weapon's threat range it then rolls to confirm the crit. So it's essentially 2 rolls.
Sword Saint automatically confirms crit rolls on lvl 20, so all you need to do is roll within the threat range. SS can also apply keen propirty with their arcane enchantment which lowers the threat range by 3.
Which makes for a disgusting, broken class even without sneak attacks.
The other case i am not sure about is what happens if i roll a natural 20
A natural 20 is an automatic hit, but I still think it rolls for crit based on threat range.
Or does a 20-20 roll always land a critical hit ?
Yup that's always a hit and a crit.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
How exactly does the critical hit mechanic/confirmation roll work ?
Assume i have a threat range of 19-20. I attack with attack bonus 10 an Armor class 40.

Now i roll a 19.

The other case i am not sure about is what happens if i roll a natural 20. Afaik
it should hit since 20's are always hits( keeping displacement and other stuff out of the discussion).
Now this natural 20 should threaten the target. All possible outcomes for the threatening roll are below armor class 40,
so it should always be a normal hit since the critical threat can't be confirmed. Is this also the case
if the threaten roll is a 20 ? Or does a 20-20 roll always land a critical hit ?
A natural 20 always hits (if we ignore any kind of miss chance) and always confirms the critical threat.
Any other roll needs to beat the Armor Class in order to hit or confirm (even if the roll is a critical threat due to the weapon critical threat range).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sword Saint automatically confirms crit rolls on lvl 20, so all you need to do is roll within the threat range. SS can also apply keen propirty with their arcane enchantment which lowers the threat range by 3.

Info about criticals is accurate. About SS/Keen less so.
Yes, a SS can Enchant his weapon with Keen starting at level 5. You can can also find such permanently Keen enchanted weapons out in the wild (mostly simple +1s though). Also Keen doesn't necessarily improve the threat range by 3, it simply doubles the range. So a weapon that naturally only threats crits on 20, with Keen will threat on 19-20.
And it doesn't stack with Improved Critical feats.

Also level 20 SS isn't the only one able to autoconfirm crit threats (but he gets Int bonus to confirm much earlier, which is more practical). It's same for level 20 fighters. Think Lethal Rage Barbarians can autoconfirm too at level 16? Certain buffs also cause auto-confirmations VS certain enemies (Crusaders Edge VS Outsiders, Bless Weapon vs Undead).

On the upside, a SS CAN use his Arcane Pool to increase the crit damage multiplier when scoring crits (as well as maximize weapon damage which can lead to... rather lovely disgusting results indeed)...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Sweeper Haplo, wait what? This is the feature you are talking about:
At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.
That "automatically confirm all critical threats" means you don't need to roll to confirm the critical hit, but you still need to hit the target's AC, because:
Any attack roll that doesn’t result in a hit is not a threat
You can't just roll a 19 and ignore the target's AC.

Desiderius

Patron

I have a hard time imagining that ever mattering much.

That would be reason 12 or 13 why the class is broken. Sneaks are generally underpowered in P:K.

If it's something you're worried about, you can just save up all your nat 20s for the hard fights:

TristianPureSkill.jpg

Desiderius

Patron
If this situation is coming up a lot for you rather than the mobs, you're doing it wrong.

NatTwenties.jpg

Seriously, here's lvl 2 Hard:

Amiri level 2.jpg

The options are there to not be a whiffer.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sweeper Haplo, wait what? This is the feature you are talking about:
At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.
That "automatically confirm all critical threats" means you don't need to roll to confirm the critical hit, but you still need to hit the target's AC, because:
Any attack roll that doesn’t result in a hit is not a threat
You can't just roll a 19 and ignore the target's AC.

I never claimed that. Of course you need to hit in order to crit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom