Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
Also, since I'm sacrificing a bunch of spellcasting levels, is the magus arcana that allows me to use wands in spell combat perhaps worth a look?
It's worth a look regardless of how many Magus levels you have.

Yosharian

Arcane
My current build at level 3 that takes advantage of a possible bug:

Rogue 1 / Eldritch Archer magus all the way :
Human; Dex Focus

Feats at level 1: Precise shot / Point Blank Shot
Feat at level 3: Accomplished Sneak attacker

uses ranged spell strike to do ridiculous sneak damage with 2d6 sneak applied to both standard attack and the cantrip acid touch for a total of 4d6 sneak attack dice. Not sure if I should take it towards Arcane trickster or magus all the way. the latter is probably a better choice.

Advantages of taking rogue over vivisectionist are that it gives free Weapon finesse that allows you to switch to a light melee weapon and stick wreck sh*t up. When I get a source of greater invis, this build will be devastating, I think.
Why 10 Cha? Literally pointless. You're just throwing away damage, not taking any Strength bonus.

Sheepherder

Augur
Ayyy, dual-wielding ranger is good shit. I made a half-orc using an orcish double axe. It has spells, a tanky pet with great damage output, skill utility and possibly the best single target DPS.
As I wanted to make a Big Guy+Big Weapon character, at first I tried a two-handed fighter and it was extremely boring to play, boring to level up and boring to gear up. Should have listened to people online saying it's shit.

vazha

Arcane
Ayyy, dual-wielding ranger is good shit. I made a half-orc using an orcish double axe. It has spells, a tanky pet with great damage output, skill utility and possibly the best single target DPS.
As I wanted to make a Big Guy+Big Weapon character, at first I tried a two-handed fighter and it was extremely boring to play, boring to level up and boring to gear up. Should have listened to people online saying it's shit.
I beg to differ, playing a two hander pal/monk/vivi/abyssal sorc with reach weapon cleave (why cannt you freaking combine cornugon smash and cleave ffs) myself and cannot complain. In fact one half of my party consists of enlarged guys with big sticks whacking trolls and whatnot.

panda

Savant
...cornugon smash...
I see it often in recomendations, but can't understand why you'd want it over dazzling display. Care to explain guys?
I mean if you can reliably hit someone with power attacks he is as good as dead anyway.

vazha

Arcane
...cornugon smash...
I see it often in recomendations, but can't understand why you'd want it over dazzling display. Care to explain guys?
I mean if you can reliably hit someone with power attacks he is as good as dead anyway.
If you play on higher difficulties, non-bosses that can withstand even a couple of power attack crits, not to mention regular attacks.
As for dazzling display, I believe it is a full action, therefore eats out your attack, while cornugon smash is a standard/bonus action.

Sheepherder

Augur
I beg to differ, playing a two hander pal/monk/vivi/abyssal sorc with reach weapon cleave (why cannt you freaking combine cornugon smash and cleave ffs) myself and cannot complain. In fact one half of my party consists of enlarged guys with big sticks whacking trolls and whatnot.

Like, a single character with that class array? That sounds interesting.
What I had in mind when saying that a twohander is shit, is that the fighter subclass Two Handed fighter is shit.

Reinhardt

Arcane
My first character was pure 2h fighter and she was legit good killing things left and right. Also +5 2h sword is available early.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

mondblut

Arcane
Fun in a combat focused crpg is to kill your enemies as efficiently as possible and to see large numbers grow even larger. Also something about lamentation of their women.

That's little numbers. Large numbers are for JRPG fags who cannot into functional game mechanics that make sense.

Sykar

Arcane
Means, it is able to deal a lot of damage and almost nothing else.
Why you need anything else?

I can only speak for myself but one word: fun.
Fun in a combat focused crpg is to kill your enemies as efficiently as possible and to see large numbers grow even larger. Also something about lamentation of their women. :obviously: Ask mondblut

I do not give a rats ass how others derive their fun in the most brain dead matter possible. Straightforward damage has always been the absolute most boring way of killing for me even in Hack&Slash games and ever growing numbers are the most primitive decline way of progression. Just look at D3.

Reinhardt

Arcane
2h fighter have lots of tactical options. Much more than casters. He's not locked from fun variants because of some stupid "spell progression" thing after all.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Fun in a combat focused crpg is to kill your enemies as efficiently as possible and to see large numbers grow even larger. Also something about lamentation of their women.

That's little numbers. Large numbers are for JRPG fags who cannot into functional game mechanics that make sense.
Hey, what are you implying! My 2-handed fighter doing ~15 damage per round at level 1 has a large member... I mean number. 15 is large. :outrage::positive:

Vatnik Wumao
Alright, lads.

So is the following build viable?

k5taJS4.jpg

And ignore the increased DR at level 10 since that should've been removed.

I'm getting a headache just by building my character properly.

J1M

Arcane
I don't understand why you wouldn't take defender to 7 with that build.

Vatnik Wumao
I don't understand why you wouldn't take defender to 7 with that build.
As to receive the second Fighter feat and also to get Armor Training.

Also, if by the point you reach level 20 you'd need Improved Uncanny Dodge, then the build wouldn't be viable for higher levels in the first place.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I think you are forgetting that defender picks up 2 DR and 1 AC at level 7. You are paying the feat cost of the prestige class and avoiding the benefits... to get hammer the gap?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Armored Hulk? But... why? Just to move faster in heavy armor?
Seems to be a weak subclass to me.

J1M

Arcane
Btw, the save files are just json inside zip files with a different extension, so you may find it easier to play with character builds by changing your experience points to 4 million in the party.json file and updating the archive.

Then you can load your save and level up in-game.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My latest playthrough (of chapter 1-2 while waiting for a patch). Far from an optimal build, I think, but I like to play melee, and toy with the companions given us:

Me: Scaled fist 3/pal 2/scaled fist 15
amiri - barb 2 / 2hf 7 / barb 13
jaethal - inq 3 / invulnerable rager 17
octavia - rog 1 / wiz 4 / at 10 / wiz 5
linzi - bard 7 / ek 10 / bard 10
harrim - cleric 20

What to do with jaethal was a bit of a question, because I don't love having 4 melees and having her be ranged seemed a waste of inq. (In another playthrough, I made her a dragon bloodline sorcerer because boosting her cha also boosts her hps and an undead dragon (dracolich) is neat.) Once I dropped valerie though (I like jaethal way more than val), I needed a tank/off-tank and decided to take her to invulnerable rager to use the self-damaging great sword you get later. I am debating going 3 inq just for the solo tactics... you lose 1dr and resists from barb, but the tradeoff seems like a no-brainer.

Harrim is straight cleric because I want cleric spells asap (and don't like playing one with my mc). I like that he is more durable than tristian but his crap dex makes putting him in the back lines with a crossbow problematic.

In early going, my monk is tissue paper, but now that ac is starting to stack, things are evening out, and the beginning is pretty easy, regardless, not counting wererats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom