Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This changes everything... gah. If max level is 16, I have to redo all my builds

It's at least 18. The guy with max level 16 was using Cheat Engine therefore he skipped quests (I assume).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Can anyone tell me how sneak attacks work in this game? Is flanking the only requirement? What if you're under the effect of greater invisibility? Do all attacks get the bonus damage or just the first one? What if you're a spellcaster? Does it apply to melee and ranged touch spells? If so, how do spells like Scorching Ray work? Do you get a sneak attack bonus on each ray or just the first one that hits?
Great Invis. allows you to sneak attack as long as it lasts, provided enemies don't have something like true sight.
All attacks get the sneak attack bonus including shield bash, nice when dual wielding.
Spell casting is kinda weird, I'm not sure it's supposed to apply but a 1 vivisectionist/9 eldritch archer/10 arcane trickster using Scorching Ray does sneak attack on with each ray AND the bow attack. Dunno if AoE spells apply sneak attacks.

The game applies sneak attack for ranged touch spells, which is why it works for scorching ray. AOE spells will not get sneak attack.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I fancied with the idea to play a caster but the only appealing options for me are Air/Fire Elementalists or a Summoner ... and I simply cannot do it. I don't have the will to play a caster.

Therefore I went partial min-max for another two-handed build:
7CEA25E79C43ED125906C6B583D0CAAF46AA7D01

Feats selected at level 1: Toughness, Great Fortitude is equivalent to 4 levels of CON (without HP bonus) and Intimidating Prowess in order to counter the low Charisma.
Feat at level 2: Power Attack
Feat at level 3: Improved Great Fortitude (Yeah, I'm that retarded)

But for once my build feels somewhat alright: hits like a truck and it's hard to get hit. I have everything I need and now I can start developing Cleave or Bull Rush (still undecided). Bellow is a screenshot at level 1.
30314739680720A385F1E46DA8FCAC76EC34982F

If even this build lets me down after mid-game then I'm going to lose it ... and I will have to go Paladin.

Vatnik Wumao
Well, I fancied with the idea to play a caster but the only appealing options to me were Air/Fire Elementalists or a Summoner ... and I simply cannot do it. I don't have the will to play a caster.

7CEA25E79C43ED125906C6B583D0CAAF46AA7D01
Could you share that portrait, lad?

Yosharian

Arcane
Well, I fancied with the idea to play a caster but the only appealing options for me are Air/Fire Elementalists or a Summoner ... and I simply cannot do it. I don't have the will to play a caster.

Feats selected at level 1: Toughness, Great Fortitude is equivalent to 4 levels of CON (without HP bonus) and Intimidating Prowess in order to counter the low Charisma.

But for once my build feels somewhat alright: hits like a truck and it's hard to get hit. I have everything I need and now I can start developing Cleave or Bull Rush (still undecided). Bellow is a screenshot at level 1.

If even this build lets me down after mid-game then I'm going to lose it ... and I will have to go Paladin.

So, your Will and Reflex saves are going to be dire. Have you planned for that?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Not in great details :)

My previous build provided equal Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves and it sucked balls soon after chapter 1.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that Fortitude is the most important save for a front-liner and the scale of importance is like this: Fortitude > Will > Reflex.

That's why I decided to buff Fortitude as high as possible, I intend to use casters to buff Will saves while Reflex ... well, I got no solution for this except that I will try to take down enemies casters/archers as fast as possible (which I will do anyway).

I could have increased WIS instead of INT but that's like +1 Will save versus +1 Skill per level. I don't know.

Yosharian

Arcane

Not in great details :)

My previous build provided equal Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves and it sucked balls soon after chapter 1.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that Fortitude is the most important save for a front-liner and the scale of importance is like this: Fortitude > Will > Reflex.

That's why I decided to buff Fortitude as high as possible, I intend to use casters to buff Will saves while Reflex ... well, I got no solution for this except that I will try to take down enemies casters/archers as fast as possible (which I will do anyway).

I could have increased WIS instead of INT but that's like +1 Will save versus +1 Skill per level. I don't know.
To be clear, I think the fact that you're buffing your strongest save is a very good thing.

But you definitely need to plan around your other saves. Have a Cleric or other supporting caster that can provide a method of breaking Will-save targeting effects on your character. For example, the 5th-level spell Break Enchantment.

Reflex, well you're gonna get hit hard by Evocation spells and stuff like Entangle.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Can anyone tell me how sneak attacks work in this game? Is flanking the only requirement? What if you're under the effect of greater invisibility? Do all attacks get the bonus damage or just the first one? What if you're a spellcaster? Does it apply to melee and ranged touch spells? If so, how do spells like Scorching Ray work? Do you get a sneak attack bonus on each ray or just the first one that hits?
Great Invis. allows you to sneak attack as long as it lasts, provided enemies don't have something like true sight.
All attacks get the sneak attack bonus including shield bash, nice when dual wielding.
Spell casting is kinda weird, I'm not sure it's supposed to apply but a 1 vivisectionist/9 eldritch archer/10 arcane trickster using Scorching Ray does sneak attack on with each ray AND the bow attack. Dunno if AoE spells apply sneak attacks.

The game applies sneak attack for ranged touch spells, which is why it works for scorching ray. AOE spells will not get sneak attack.
Does the Arcane Trickster stance apply Sneak Attack to your AoEs?

vazha

Arcane
Not to mention he's gonna be molested by every dryad and nymph and their ilk with charms, hold persons etc. That is why that pally 2 dip is always worth it

Vatnik Wumao
Not to mention he's gonna be molested by every dryad and nymph and their ilk with charms, hold persons etc. That is why that pally 2 dip is always worth it
Doesn't that force you to remain Lawful Good throughout the game in order to retain what you've gained, though?

vazha

Arcane
Doesn't that force you to remain Lawful Good throughout the game in order to retain what you've gained, though?
Yes, but unless you despise that limitation due to rp reasons, you have to go pretty evil route to ever endanger your lawful good alignment.

Cael

Arcane
Canny Defense (Ex)
At 1st level, when a kensai is wielding his chosen weapon, he gains the canny defense ability. This is identical to the duelist prestige class ability of the same name, save that his chosen weapon may be of any type.
Identical but different. I'd clap but that's a wasted effort.

Paizotards should be shot for the abuse of the English language.

Yosharian

Arcane
Canny Defense (Ex)
At 1st level, when a kensai is wielding his chosen weapon, he gains the canny defense ability. This is identical to the duelist prestige class ability of the same name, save that his chosen weapon may be of any type.

Heh ok, you got me there. Fine, identical aside from the restriction.

My point stands, you stubborn arse! The abilities have the same name, they do not stack!

Cael

Arcane
Canny Defense (Ex)

My point stands, you stubborn arse! The abilities have the same name, they do not stack!
Please look at Uncanny Dodge, which is a truly identical ability that can come from several different classes. Please iterate what it says when you do have a truly identical ability that can come from several different classes.

Yosharian

Arcane
Canny Defense (Ex)

Please look at Uncanny Dodge, which is a truly identical ability that can come from several different classes. Please iterate what it says when you do have a truly identical ability that can come from several different classes.
Whenever there is that possibility, it states that you get improved uncanny dodge. You don't get 2x uncanny dodge.

No such thing is stated for Canny Defense

Cael

Arcane
Canny Defense (Ex)

Whenever there is that possibility, it states that you get improved uncanny dodge. You don't get 2x uncanny dodge.

No such thing is stated for Canny Defense
Precisely. The writers are clear that truly identical abilities do not stack and they tell you what to do when you encounter such a thing. The problem is that the Canny Defence ability is not identical other than the name of the ability. Just because they have the same name means nothing. It is what the ability entails that we need to look at, and by your own admission that is not the same (different restrictions).

Much of the confusion stems from this article by Skip Williams. In it, he used the term "same name". However, if you look at his article, he is actually talking about type, not name. That is, circumstance bonus, dodge, bonus, etc. Those are types, not names.

Remember, the guy works for WotC, so a massive amount of incompetence is a pre-requisite. You just have to actually look at what he is trying to convey rather than his actual words because they will contradict each other 99% of the time. Just look at the Rainbow Servant prestige class as a classic example. In the original version, it was a 6/10 caster according to the table, but a 10/10 caster in the words below it. According to the rules, the words takes precedence over the table, so Rainbow Servant is a 10/10 caster. But the dramafags screamed bloody murder, so the next iteration (a non-English language one) had it at 6/10 in the words, giving the dramafags the ammo they were baying for. Then, in the last iteration (the Portuguese version) before WotC went on to seal the deal on their incompetence with 4th Ed, they changed it to 10/10 in both table and words.

Such is the WotC way. Incompetence writ large.

So, therefore, the question is: Does Canny Defence give a typed bonus to AC? It is dodge, circumstance, deflection, sacred/unholy, racial, etc.? If it is unnamed, dodge, circumstance, racial or synergy, it stacks.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
If ability 1 is Canny Defense and ability 2 is Canny Defense with a slight restriction it is illogical to say that you get two versions of Canny Defense which give 2 bonuses.

It just doesn't make sense.

If you wanna argue that Paizo are idiots for not making it clear, or using the same name, that's fine, but they don't give two bonuses

Cael

Arcane
If ability 1 is Canny Defense and ability 2 is Canny Defense with a slight restriction it is illogical to say that you get two versions of Canny Defense which give 2 bonuses.

If you wanna argue that Paizo are idiots for not making it clear, or using the same name, that's fine, but they don't give two bonuses
If they are idiots for using the same name, that implies that they should have used two different names, which would then allow the bonuses to stack :D

Remember that the thing is a game, and a game is a set of rules. The rules do not have to make sense. I mean, why is it an offence to change your shirt in a tennis match when it is 45C and you are completely soaked with sweat? Doesn't make sense, but there you go.

The problem is rules inconsistency, and that really raises my hackles because it shows a lack cross-checking, which is, of course, an endemic thing in WotC and it seems that Paizo has inherited the rot.

Yosharian

Arcane

If they are idiots for using the same name, that implies that they should have used two different names, which would then allow the bonuses to stack :D

Remember that the thing is a game, and a game is a set of rules. The rules do not have to make sense. I mean, why is it an offence to change your shirt in a tennis match when it is 45C and you are completely soaked with sweat? Doesn't make sense, but there you go.

The problem is rules inconsistency, and that really raises my hackles because it shows a lack cross-checking, which is, of course, an endemic thing in WotC and it seems that Paizo has inherited the rot.
Now there I agree, it was extremely lazy of them to use the same ability and call it a day.

Regardless, it seems clear as day to me that the class levels from both Duelist and Kensai should stack to determine the maximum intelligence bonus to AC.

That's the interaction that makes the most sense to me.

Cael

Arcane

Now there I agree, it was extremely lazy of them to use the same ability and call it a day.

Regardless, it seems clear as day to me that the class levels from both Duelist and Kensai should stack to determine the maximum intelligence bonus to AC.

That's the interaction that makes the most sense to me.
I would think that it is hard to get +20 bonus to a stat. Even +10 would be stretching it. Allowing the levels to stack would (marginally) encourage dipping, which is something that Paizo was adamant it wanted to stamp out in Pathfinder. Never forget that Paizo was originally composed of a bunch of fucktard dramafags who hated how open and large 3.5 was, calling the options and opportunities to create viable builds of iconic superheroes a bad thing and a decline of RPG (the irony of that statement).

Of course, they have since moved away from that claim, and if anything, seem to have created a mess that is worse than anything 3.5 ever came up with...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom