Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
where the fuck can I get an emerald necklace? i've checked every trader (the 3 in capital, the 4 different towns, oleg's..) can't find SHIT.

If you have the tiefling DLC, you'll get it from one of the Sweet Teeth assignments you'll send them to do, it can also be found from one of Amiri's quests.

ArchAngel

Arcane
CohhCarnage streaming P:KM again has brought a bunch of new people to the game now. Twitch has more new streamers and game sales are also better as a result.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
CohhCarnage streaming P:KM again has brought a bunch of new people to the game now. Twitch has more new streamers and game sales are also better as a result.

Yeah its free marketing for the game. The guy played on hard and is expressive enough for the game to appear fun

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Why is there no 'core rules' option?

Probably they thought their "normal" difficulty offers the best progression for an average player, but it is hard to say the so called "core rules" would be better or worse. In any case, the game suffers from the usual symptoms: difficult at the beginning when your characters are squishy and a bad roll can mean a party wipe, easy as pie after several levels. Playing on normal, by mid game my party could simply not die.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Core rules option was in the game at one point, when the game first launched there was an achievement for beating the game on core rules, it was later changed to Difficult.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They explained it that testers(?) or designers were hurr Core Rules what is that even?

Then people who actually play Pathfinder or play RPGs after release come and ask "where the fuck is Core Rules opshun?"

63c8ca935d362e1dafa27a3aac74bfcf.jpg

One could argue core rules are super easy, but hey, then you just increase levels and amount of enemies in the encounter; and maybe create a template system so on higher difficulties, for example, every animal type would get Advanced Template or two (like Ferocious).
In the end it might end up the same effect as just flat bonuses, but it would be a lot cleaner and "by the rules", and I personally am always for making everything clear and by the pnp rules where it is possible because it looks fairer to people. And you can even add Templates to the in-game encyclopedia (which after all patching I think still lacks explanations about what is the difference between Dazed and Dazzled).

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I mean the video game adaptation ooff it being core rules, i.e. enemies do 100% damage, full crits and so on. This has nothing to do with the pen-and-paper version.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So I completed the game, took 141 hours and 40 minutes, fucking great game, one of the best crpgs I've played, with the exception of HATEOT, will probably start another playthrough down the line. Pitax stuff was already a bit weaker than the earlier parts of the game, but I still liked it quite a lot.

Lantern King's voice actor sounded like James Spader, who would fit that kind of "trickster god" almost perfectly, I wonder if they consciously chose to cast someone with that kind of voice.

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure Core Rules is covered by turning it onto Challenging and then changing the option which inflates monster stats to Normal, or some such.

I wasn't implying that the game rules them out altogether, I just find it odd that Owlcat push their own 'balance patch' instead.

Cael

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Core Rules is covered by turning it onto Challenging and then changing the option which inflates monster stats to Normal, or some such.

I wasn't implying that the game rules them out altogether, I just find it odd that Owlcat push their own 'balance patch' instead.
Whenever someone starts talking about "balance", it is fairly easy to see where they lie in the whole powergame-dramafag spectrum. In Owlcat's case, it leans towards "munchkin".

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Like I said before in this thread, I kinda missed the side quests and other stuff to do between chapters, but even in the form game is now, it's fucking long, and I'm surprised they managed to keep it from collapsing, and they managed to keep the main baddies relevant to the story and present in the game even if you didn't see them. The execution difference between this and Pillars of Eternity is huge, in PoE Thaos appears couple of times in the game, and you basically can forget him beside those instances.

I think this is due the structure of the game, you get a game which is very much tied together, but the drawback is that it doesn't lend itself that well for the side content, unless you do it at the expense of the main storyline, or make the game even longer, and as for traditional crpgs like Kingmaker is, rather unique in this regard. Sure there was some side content, but most of it was tied to the either kingdom stuff or the main storyline, at least we weren't put to usually games falls apart about half way through, but Kingmaker IMO didn't suffer from this till the last stretch, but that was due the encounter "design" in HATEOT and the first world after that, rather than the story itself, maybe it was a bit rushed, and the very ending was a bit abrupt that after the fight you get the ending slides, instead of returning to the kingdom yourself with all the allies, would've been nice to see celebrations in the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom