Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On a more serious note, I do realize that it's a very different type of "spymaster", but it's honestly not that different from choosing Reg as your General. He's clearly not a General type of character, but more of a thug or mercenary at best
It's implied that he received formal military education as a slave. AFAIU, they were closer to antiquity slaves than cotton pickers.
Yes, but he's still a thug, and it becomes very evident if you actually have him as your general. We're still talking about someone that lit a dog on fire for laughs because his sidechick-in-perpetuity made an off-handed comment that the doggo annoyed her.

Morkar Left

On a more serious note, I do realize that it's a very different type of "spymaster", but it's honestly not that different from choosing Reg as your General. He's clearly not a General type of character, but more of a thug or mercenary at best
It's implied that he received formal military education as a slave. AFAIU, they were closer to antiquity slaves than cotton pickers.
Yes, but he's still a thug, and it becomes very evident if you actually have him as your general. We're still talking about someone that lit a dog on fire for laughs because his sidechick-in-perpetuity made an off-handed comment that the doggo annoyed her.

Nah, he's just committed to his gf. A faithful soul.

Thonius

Arcane
Ok, I'm finally going to buy this game thanks the 50% discount at Steam. Just one question, tho: is the season pass worth it?
You gotta be shitting me. I bought this game less than a week ago full price and it was fucking 50% off yesterday? Fuck me

Owlcat thanks you for your support. The rest of us wonder why you would buy the game, or really any game, one week before the summer sale.
Try and refund pal... Easy money.

hell bovine

Arcane
At least Reg has the charisma for it, Amiri on the other hand... Though tbh, most of the advisor choices make no sense. Jaethal has centuries of experience in judging people, she would be my choice to keep the peasants in line, either as a regent or divine. But what you can hire her for is... culture.

edit: fixed quotes

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
21 DC poison tho on level 8 O_o
Probably doesn't stack or anything tho but -4 DEX per bite? hmm
just removed -6 from some drow dude

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I guess the season pass is ok. Random dungeon is whatever, kind of a tedious grindfest, but kineticists are fun and most people really seem to like varnhold.

Also, I definitely recommend the turn-based mod, it makes the game way more engaging even if it's definitely slower

21 DC poison tho on level 8 O_o
Probably doesn't stack or anything tho but -4 DEX per bite? hmm
just removed -6 from some drow dude

i believe in pathfinder the way multiple poison doses works is that it makes the poison last longer and have a higher DC to recover from. they shouldn't lose extra dex, but it'll be a randomized number of damage initially. maybe a d6? i never bothered with the centipede

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
i believe in pathfinder the way multiple poison doses works is that it makes the poison last longer and have a higher DC to recover from. they shouldn't lose extra dex, but it'll be a randomized number of damage initially. maybe a d6? i never bothered with the centipede
I'm not sure how it's supposed to function, but poisons from the enemy sure as shit stacks until you're lying in the gutter pleading for mercy as they violently sodomize your physical scores.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
I'm not sure how it's supposed to function, but poisons from the enemy sure as shit stacks until you're lying in the gutter pleading for mercy as they violently sodomize your physical scores.
I think they fucked up and made it so each enemy gets to apply its own poison, but I'm not sure that a single enemy can poison over and over and kill something that way like you'd want with a pet centipede

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh Centipede is immune to trip. Well that's something.

When you pick it it says 1d2 dex against con. So how do you remove 6 dex from a bite. It obviously progresses through levels. It also says "frequency 1 round (4)" what does that mean

Also leveled, now DC is 24 (from 21 on previous level.)

Naturally,

ChQFqAf.jpg

it has no description.

think they fucked up and made it so each enemy gets to apply its own poison
dis sounds accurate to me.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
One other thing making poison more lethal in this game is that a non-con score being reduced to zero kills you (at least according to the in game help). In PnP it renders you unable to move (strength/dex) or comatose (mental score), which is really bad in combat but a lot easier to fix if you fail your save against poison after combat and the cleric dumps a Lesser Restoration on you to keep you moving (or you can just rest).

Yo,hows the aldori swordlord?
Does it fit with the standard monk 1/XX aldori defender?

It has the same problem Stalwart Defender does: Focusing on defense is trash since you'd take less damage if you kill the enemy faster, especially when it doesn't actually provide defense against spells ect. or stop enemies from targeting allies (not much of an issue for melee dudes with what I've seen of the AI so far, but there are plenty of archers and a decent number of casters who ignore having you in their face). Further it focuses on a one handed weapon with OK damage and dexterity. This works for Magus and Rogue (Unchained Rogue anyways, but that's the only one in this game) because they get their damage from something else (shocking grasp/sneak attack) and Swordlord lacks ANY way to increase damage. You'd actually be doing better damage as a fighter, since they get Weapon Training and Gloves of Dueling.

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Oh Centipede is immune to trip. Well that's something.

When you pick it it says 1d2 dex against con. So how do you remove 6 dex from a bite. It obviously progresses through levels. It also says "frequency 1 round (4)" what does that mean

Oh yeah, that's right--iirc actually the way it works is poison takes a saving throw, and if they fail it does X damage on a cycle until they make a save or the duration (4 rounds, I guess?) runs out. Making the saving throw ends this process but doesn't cure the poison damage--that's what restoration spells and treat affliction are for.

So if they never pass a save and you keep them poisoned then they will slowly lose all of their CON and die. Repeated attacks will make it harder to pass the saving throw and extend duration, so that's good. However, they have to fail a saving throw in the first place, which maybe will make poison less useful later on and definitely useless on high difficulties because they give everything a big bonus to saving throws

I haven't needed to think about pathfinder poison mechanics in ages, so I don't remember them very well. In Kingmaker if you just cast delay poison you'll never have any poison damage so it's like, a non-issue.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah but I did manage to kill enemies with poison myself actually. There is a druid spell that removes -4 from save, no save itself, and standard poison spell is 1d3 con every round for 6 rounds. That's -12 con.

Then again I also managed to kill enemies with enchanting their intelligence to 1 and then throwing cloud disease for INT damage. I think you can one-shot supertroll like this if he fails fortitude somehow.

Although draining levels ray is obviously easier.

Very very strange.

It takes shitton of feats but basically you get bonuses to intimidate. To me looks like dead in the water class. I ran Aldori Defender who qualified for Duelist and Swordlord and went Duelist instead.

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Yeah but I did manage to kill enemies with poison myself actually. There is a druid spell that removes -4 from save, no save itself, and standard poison spell is 1d3 con every round for 6 rounds. That's -12 con.

Then again I also managed to kill enemies with enchanting their intelligence to 1 and then throwing cloud disease for INT damage. I think you can one-shot supertroll like this if he fails fortitude somehow.

Very very strange.

It takes shitton of feats but basically you get bonuses to intimidate. To me looks like dead in the water class. I ran Aldori Defender who qualified for Duelist and Swordlord and went Duelist instead.
Intimidate is actually hilarious because you can spam dazzling display every round, and if you take two rounds of Thug (chance to frighten, rather than just shaken, stuff you intimidate) then you also can scare the shit out of everything and make them run around like retards

e: if you're wondering what to do with Valerie, you should do this. It'll never be incredibly useful but you want her charisma high anyway for her advisor position and she sucks at doing anything else, so fuck it

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah, but you can do it even with very basic stats. Even on Unfair you can do this, and with something like Strength/Charisma build you do it on 2+.

Also not out of everything. Only things not immune to fear.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think they fucked up and made it so each enemy gets to apply its own poison, but I'm not sure that a single enemy can poison over and over and kill something that way like you'd want with a pet centipede
No, no, a single spider swarm is entirely capable of utterly ruining your day, all on its own.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Very very strange.

Intimidate is actually hilarious because you can spam dazzling display every round, and if you take two rounds of Thug (chance to frighten, rather than just shaken, stuff you intimidate) then you also can scare the shit out of everything and make them run around like retards

e: if you're wondering what to do with Valerie, you should do this. It'll never be incredibly useful but you want her charisma high anyway for her advisor position and she sucks at doing anything else, so fuck it
But I don't want my Valerie ro be a Thug. I want her to be the pure Paladin we all know she can be.

deuxhero

Arcane
Intimidate is pretty nice. I've actually been using it instead of cantrips on my sorcerer unless I'm fighting vermin or undead.

As for abusing it with Thug, I'd recommend going Slayer 1/Thug Rogue 4/Slayer X (start as Slayer for higher starting HP) and not go for a dex build. Grab a two handed weapon and focus on strength, with 12/14 dex (for AC/reflex) and 10 charisma (so you don't take a penalty). Pair it with Intimidating Prowess and Cornwhatever Smash so you got a guy who can debilitate most of the enemies on his first turn, then throw a bunch of debuffs at enemies just by hitting them.

edit: Violent Display instead of Smash would make this build so much better, but it isn't in the game. Should be easy to mod in.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Archers are a bane of characters like that on high difficulties, down them in arrow or two. But yeah running intimidate slayer myself now (with 5 levels of magus for mirror images)

So Owlcats 're working on console version now basically.

deuxhero

Arcane
Slayer is a d10 HD class with medium armor. I think we can safely say if archers randomly one shooting them is a problem, harder difficulties are pointlessly hard.

As for console port, I'd be fine if they include an official version of Turnbased Combat like PoE2 had.

Codex Year of the Donut
Slayer is a d10 HD class with medium armor. I think we can safely say if archers randomly one shooting them is a problem
Armor does nothing to reduce damage unless it's armor with DR(and DR is only good vs things that attack fast and light, not slow and heavy)
Random one-shots or near one-shots are always going to happen, it's a flaw of the AC system -- along with AC being worthless unless you stack it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom