Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

ArchAngel

Arcane
And willingly miss out on team-wide bonuses from Reckless Stance stackable with Bard Song? Rage is even easier to manage than Bards - it is switched off when fight is over and with Heart of Ira could be left on auto-cast without any need for micro-ing it. With most fights being 1-2 turns long at levels 10+ it will last for whole floors in the dungeons.

AC penalty could be big no for some, but I've never cared about AC even on Unfair.
AC boosting rage powers work well in combination with a heavy armor + shield barbarian. I got amiri speced as such a tank in one of my runs, she does OK job at it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
And willingly miss out on team-wide bonuses from Reckless Stance stackable with Bard Song? Rage is even easier to manage than Bards - it is switched off when fight is over and with Heart of Ira could be left on auto-cast without any need for micro-ing it. With most fights being 1-2 turns long at levels 10+ it will last for whole floors in the dungeons.

AC penalty could be big no for some, but I've never cared about AC even on Unfair.
AC boosting rage powers work well in combination with a heavy armor + shield barbarian. I got amiri speced as such a tank in one of my runs, she does OK job at it.

Amiri and Nok-nok both can accidentally end up Stalwart Defenders if that’s what you’re needing.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whats your opinion on elven curved blades?

They seem to be more of a RP choice. And only really work in a few builds. That being said I still haven't gotten to Chapter 3 so I don't know what the itemization is like later on. With how much Haplo praises the Serpent Prince I get the sense that some weapons just have end game stats that are superior to others.

It pretty much requires 3 levels of Rogue as thats the only way to get Dex to Damage on it unless you find an Agile one.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

They seem to be more of a RP choice. And only really work in a few builds. That being said I still haven't gotten to Chapter 3 so I don't know what the itemization is like later on. With how much Haplo praises the Serpent Prince I get the sense that some weapons just have end game stats that are superior to others.

Curveblade is like a finesseable Fauchard without reach. Elves get it with Martial. I'd try it on an elf EK.

It's awkward to get all you want out of both finesse and two-handing. There are some nice ones (one nice one?) late. Even weirder than Curveblade is the two-bladed agile, keen force sword. Anyone figured out what to do with that?

Desiderius

Patron

Lol

BarbSunder.jpg

BarbLinzi.jpg

Linzi isn't even wearing half her equipment.

No true strikes. Notice also 3 initiative checks in the thirties without any Sword Saints. Not an accident.

Last edited:

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The feat slashing grace might work on it too. There are agile ones - is Clarity agile? I have Linzi just fight with agile stuff so you can usually find good ones.

But for ECB it's awkward to get all you want out of both finesse and two-handing.

Slashing Grace does not work on it. Requires 1 handers.

Desiderius

Patron
The feat slashing grace might work on it too. There are agile ones - is Clarity agile? I have Linzi just fight with agile stuff so you can usually find good ones.

But for ECB it's awkward to get all you want out of both finesse and two-handing.

Slashing Grace does not work on it. Requires 1 handers.

Yeah, ran into that trying to get the double light saber to work.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
This seems to be a interesting mod as well and it is designed to be used with TB mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/132

Changed Mechanics

• Flanking
  • Flanking now takes into account the position of the flankers, and who is attacking the target.
  • In order for an attacker to gain the benefits of flanking, he must be attacking in melee, and there must be an ally threatening the target in melee, on (roughly) the opposite side of the target.
  • Since ranged characters no longer gain flanking bonuses, this also means that ranged attacks do not automatically gain a Sneak Attack if the target is flanked by other units.
  • The Arcane Trickster's Surprise Spell feature no longer works against flanked targets (the description only mentions flat-footedness, which is actually consistent with how ranged sneak attacking is supposed to work).
  • All Teamwork Feats and features related to flanking have been updated and fixed.
  • Special note regarding the Outflank feat and the Mad Dog's Pack Tactics feature: these feats both state that they increase the bonus from flanking to +4, but the game implemented this as a simple +2 Circumstantial bonus. This meant that in certain (admittedly rare) circumstances, these bonuses could stack to a total of +6 from flanking. This has been fixed, these features now increase the actual flanking bonus to (maximum) +4
  • Outflank (and especially it's interaction with Solo Tactics) has been fixed to be in line with the FAQ response in this thread on the Paizo rules forum.

• Attack of Opportunity
  • Attacks of Opportunity are now effectively instant, no animation is displayed.
  • This was necessary mostly for technical reasons: in the vanilla game an attack of opportunity plays an attack animation. Even though this animation is sped up, it still requires a couple of frames to complete, and only then does it actually roll for hit and damage.
  • This is a problem for mechanics that should provoke an AoO, yet prevent or interrupt commands running on the target. For example, anything that makes an enemy fall prone, results in the state being immediately updated to set the enemy as prone (and interrupt all commands), and only then play the falling animation. This means that an actions that causes an enemy to fall prone, will never let that enemy resolve an AoO, even if he should have gotten one.

• Combat Maneuvers
  • All Combat Maneuvers can now be used by anyone, without needing a Feat.
  • Performing a Combat Maneuver without the associated "Improved" Combat Maneuver Feat, will grant an Attack of Opportunity against you from the intended target of your Combat Maneuver.
  • The text (and names) of the Combat Maneuver actions and the Improved Combat Maneuver feats, have been updated to reflect this.
  • Any action that grant a maneuver on attack (such as a wolf's tripping bite) does not provoke an attack of opportunity when attempting the maneuver.
  • [New in 1.2.0] Trip, Disarm and Sunder Armor can now be used in place of a melee attack (including attacks of opportunity). Their abilities are now toggle-able, when active they will replace all melee attacks with the respective Combat Maneuver
  • [Fixed in 1.2.1] The toggle-able Combat Maneuvers will not replace an attack if the maneuver would be senseless, e.g. Trip active will not actually replace an attack with a trip attempt if the target is already (going) prone.
  • [New in 1.2.0] The Standard action combat maneuvers (Bull Rush and the Dirty Trick variants) are now grouped under one ability to clear some clutter in the Abilities.

New Mechanics

• Soft Cover
  • Soft Cover has been added to the game. Soft Cover (along with firing into melee) is an important mechanic in balancing ranged vs. melee, and its absence was a factor in ranged martial characters generally outshining their melee counterparts from a very early level.
  • The rules for soft cover have been adapted to the non-grid nature of Pathfinder: Kingmaker as best as I could manage, but suggestions are welcome.
  • New calculation method in 1.1.2 should yield more intuitively correct results (and is also easier to tweak in the future).
  • Partial Cover gives +2 AC to the target, Full Cover gives +4 AC.
  • A unit that is 2 or more size categories smaller than the target can not provide cover to that target. This is an approximation of the tabletop rule where an attacker attacking a large or larger enemy can choose a square he is targeting for the purposes of determining soft cover.
  • A unit that is smaller than the attacker and is closer to the attacker than to the target, will not provide soft cover to the target from attacks of that attacker. This is an approximation of the low obstacles and cover rule.
  • There is a button in the mod manager options to toggle the use of Soft Cover on or off.

• Switch Hitting [New in 1.2.0]
  • Not really a "mechanic" per se, "Switch Hitting" was a fun martial tactic where one builds a character to be good at both ranged and melee combat. Then, in combat, the character switches between weapons depending on the situation.
  • While the actual build can vary, there is one essential maneuver to every switch hitter, which is to drop the weapons you are holding (free action), then draw another set of weapons (free action with the Quick Draw feat). This allows them to switch between weapons without losing a turn. Neither of the components for this maneuver were in the game.
  • There is now a Drop Weapons ability, which is a free action that drops the currently equipped weapon set into a loot bag at the character's feet.
  • The Quick Draw feat has been implemented as follows: when your currently equipped weapon set is empty, switching to a different weapon set does not cost an action.

New Feats

• Low Profile: a small character gains +1 Dodge AC vs ranged attacks and does not provide soft cover
  • Phalanx Formation: your allies do not provide cover when you attack with a Reach weapon.
  • Quick Draw: see above under "Switch Hitting" to see how this feat was adapted to work within the limitations of the game.

razvedchiki

Erudite
My Witcher build with a curved blade will be like this
- 1 lvl of monk for the juicy wis to as plus will saves
- 3 unavoidable lvls of rogue for the dex to dmg.
- probably 2 lvls of alcemist for the mutagen( does the natural armor of the mutagen stack?).
- rest slayer/spawn slayer.
Stats are 7/20/14/10/16/7 human.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Witcher is neither a monk or a rogue character. And he is certainly not a Dex to damage type of character. And he uses longswords which are not finess weapons.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
- probably 2 lvls of alcemist for the mutagen( does the natural armor of the mutagen stack?).

You might as well grab 4th rogue level. Uncanny Dodge and you still get +1 Bab. Also not sure if human is optimal, exotic weapon for them so you'd have to waste the feat on that I think.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This seems to be a interesting mod as well and it is designed to be used with TB mod:

Changed Mechanics

• Flanking
  • Flanking now takes into account the position of the flankers, and who is attacking the target.
  • In order for an attacker to gain the benefits of flanking, he must be attacking in melee, and there must be an ally threatening the target in melee, on (roughly) the opposite side of the target.
  • Since ranged characters no longer gain flanking bonuses, this also means that ranged attacks do not automatically gain a Sneak Attack if the target is flanked by other units.
  • The Arcane Trickster's Surprise Spell feature no longer works against flanked targets (the description only mentions flat-footedness, which is actually consistent with how ranged sneak attacking is supposed to work).
  • All Teamwork Feats and features related to flanking have been updated and fixed.
  • Special note regarding the Outflank feat and the Mad Dog's Pack Tactics feature: these feats both state that they increase the bonus from flanking to +4, but the game implemented this as a simple +2 Circumstantial bonus. This meant that in certain (admittedly rare) circumstances, these bonuses could stack to a total of +6 from flanking. This has been fixed, these features now increase the actual flanking bonus to (maximum) +4
  • Outflank (and especially it's interaction with Solo Tactics) has been fixed to be in line with the FAQ response in this thread on the Paizo rules forum.

• Attack of Opportunity
  • Attacks of Opportunity are now effectively instant, no animation is displayed.
  • This was necessary mostly for technical reasons: in the vanilla game an attack of opportunity plays an attack animation. Even though this animation is sped up, it still requires a couple of frames to complete, and only then does it actually roll for hit and damage.
  • This is a problem for mechanics that should provoke an AoO, yet prevent or interrupt commands running on the target. For example, anything that makes an enemy fall prone, results in the state being immediately updated to set the enemy as prone (and interrupt all commands), and only then play the falling animation. This means that an actions that causes an enemy to fall prone, will never let that enemy resolve an AoO, even if he should have gotten one.

• Combat Maneuvers
  • Performing a Combat Maneuver without the associated "Improved" Combat Maneuver Feat, will grant an Attack of Opportunity against you from the intended target of your Combat Maneuver.
  • The text (and names) of the Combat Maneuver actions and the Improved Combat Maneuver feats, have been updated to reflect this.
  • Any action that grant a maneuver on attack (such as a wolf's tripping bite) does not provoke an attack of opportunity when attempting the maneuver.
  • [New in 1.2.0] Trip, Disarm and Sunder Armor can now be used in place of a melee attack (including attacks of opportunity). Their abilities are now toggle-able, when active they will replace all melee attacks with the respective Combat Maneuver
  • [Fixed in 1.2.1] The toggle-able Combat Maneuvers will not replace an attack if the maneuver would be senseless, e.g. Trip active will not actually replace an attack with a trip attempt if the target is already (going) prone.
  • [New in 1.2.0] The Standard action combat maneuvers (Bull Rush and the Dirty Trick variants) are now grouped under one ability to clear some clutter in the Abilities.

New Mechanics

• Soft Cover
  • Soft Cover has been added to the game. Soft Cover (along with firing into melee) is an important mechanic in balancing ranged vs. melee, and its absence was a factor in ranged martial characters generally outshining their melee counterparts from a very early level.
  • The rules for soft cover have been adapted to the non-grid nature of Pathfinder: Kingmaker as best as I could manage, but suggestions are welcome.
  • New calculation method in 1.1.2 should yield more intuitively correct results (and is also easier to tweak in the future).
  • A unit that is 2 or more size categories smaller than the target can not provide cover to that target. This is an approximation of the tabletop rule where an attacker attacking a large or larger enemy can choose a square he is targeting for the purposes of determining soft cover.
  • A unit that is smaller than the attacker and is closer to the attacker than to the target, will not provide soft cover to the target from attacks of that attacker. This is an approximation of the low obstacles and cover rule.
  • There is a button in the mod manager options to toggle the use of Soft Cover on or off.

• Not really a "mechanic" per se, "Switch Hitting" was a fun martial tactic where one builds a character to be good at both ranged and melee combat. Then, in combat, the character switches between weapons depending on the situation.
  • While the actual build can vary, there is one essential maneuver to every switch hitter, which is to drop the weapons you are holding (free action), then draw another set of weapons (free action with the Quick Draw feat). This allows them to switch between weapons without losing a turn. Neither of the components for this maneuver were in the game.
  • There is now a Drop Weapons ability, which is a free action that drops the currently equipped weapon set into a loot bag at the character's feet.
  • The Quick Draw feat has been implemented as follows: when your currently equipped weapon set is empty, switching to a different weapon set does not cost an action.

New Feats

• Low Profile: a small character gains +1 Dodge AC vs ranged attacks and does not provide soft cover
  • Phalanx Formation: your allies do not provide cover when you attack with a Reach weapon.
  • Quick Draw: see above under "Switch Hitting" to see how this feat was adapted to work within the limitations of the game.

Wow, Combat Maneuvers replacing individual attacks, rather then always being Standard Actions? - quite the game-changer.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Curveblade is like a finesseable Fauchard without reach. Elves get it with Martial. I'd try it on an elf EK.

It's awkward to get all you want out of both finesse and two-handing. There are some nice ones (one nice one?) late. Even weirder than Curveblade is the two-bladed agile, keen force sword. Anyone figured out what to do with that?

Serpent Prince isn't really a top damaging weapon in the game. BUT if you're lucky, you can get it in Act 3. Even late Act 2 if very lucky. For when you get it, its extremly good. And offers the safety of reach.
Otherwise fauchards are one of the top weapon categories, yeah - but the best one from artisan, Mastery, is a pretty special weapon, focused on Combat Maneuver users - awesome for them, barely so-so for others.

Greataxes are always good (or best) for damage. Bastard swords (large) are good if you use size modifiers. Curved Blades are actually among best two-handers. And, importantly, the best one can be gotten early - right after Act 3. Its a bit of a hidden/secret weapon, though. Also there's another good one from artisan, that has ghost touch - very handy.
Note noone is forcing you to finesse ECBs. That you can doesn't mean you should.

Desiderius

Patron

You might as well grab 4th rogue level. Uncanny Dodge and you still get +1 Bab. Also not sure if human is optimal, exotic weapon for them so you'd have to waste the feat on that I think.

Rogue 4 is strongest level in the game. Debilitating strike alone is better than an awful vivi splash. By mid game you’re drowning in stats. Just say no to Vivi.

Desiderius

Patron

Changed Mechanics

• Flanking

• Attack of Opportunity

• Combat Maneuvers

New Mechanics

• Soft Cover

New Feats

Wow, Combat Maneuvers replacing individual attacks, rather then always being Standard Actions? - quite the game-changer.

Bingo. Was supposed to be that way all along. Other than trip they’ve been nearly unplayable. Makes pure WIS Sensei more viable.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

Serpent Prince isn't really a top damaging weapon in the game. BUT if you're lucky, you can get it in Act 3. Even late Act 2 if very lucky. For when you get it, its extremly good. And offers the safety of reach.
Otherwise fauchards are one of the top weapon categories, yeah - but the best one from artisan, Mastery, is a pretty special weapon, focused on Combat Maneuver users - awesome for them, barely so-so for others.

Greataxes are always good (or best) for damage. Bastard swords (large) are good if you use size modifiers. Curved Blades are actually among best two-handers. And, importantly, the best one can be gotten early - right after Act 3. Its a bit of a hidden/secret weapon, though. Also there's another good one from artisan, that has ghost touch - very handy.
Note noone is forcing you to finesse ECBs. That you can doesn't mean you should.

Yeah, ECB is the only finesseable two-hander or Martial Elves get it free or it works well with Critical Mastery fighter feats. It’s when you try to do it all at once that you’ve got headaches.

Desiderius

Patron
Rogue 4 is strongest level in the game. Debilitating strike alone is better than an awful vivi splash. By mid game you’re drowning in stats. Just say no to Vivi.

Just plain alcemist for the ac/dmg that the mutagen provides.

It’s almost enough stats in melee to be worth it, but it’s still zero BAB, boring, and there are so many better things to do.

You could just play a legit Vivi with a Scoundrel splash for image and DEX to dam, with dodge from rogue talent.

Last edited:

panda

Savant

Also make sure to grab rogue lvls(except first) AFTER slayer's lvl 10, this way you'll be able to get advanced rogue talents, instead of regular feats.
And due to Divine Slayer's bonus dmg implementation you'll get way more dmg, but it works the same way as old additional sneak attacks, and may be considered as bug abuse.

Desiderius

Patron
Elf Eldritch Scoundrel 4/Mad Dog 5/Sacred Huntmaster 11 with Outflank and Seize the Moment for that big crit range and Tandem Trip (since you’ve got INT already for Expertise). Image, Dodge and DEX to damage from Scoundrel. Martial Prof from Mad Dog. 4 attacks at lvl 20 and your own 11min death ward.

Bladedeity.jpg Bladetrick.jpg Blade Copy.jpg Bladelarge.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Considering I don't own Varnhold or last DLC, what would be good one handed weapon to build my defense paladin around?
I cannot remember weapons that give bonus AC and that I can take to endgame. Considering the character using it will be a paladin that can put more enchantments on it, it can be a bit lacking with offensive enchantments.

Also for two handed barbarian, it seems that greatsword is best so I can use the one from the tomb? Maybe Fauchard might be useful but I rely on getting the one from the master which is not always reliable.

Scroll Savant wizard I guess cannot use feats to boost scroll use (neither DC or spell pen), seems using scrolls is then best for buffs and defensive spells and spell slots for CC or damage spells? I cannot decide which school specialization to pick. Conjuration has useful spells, but Evocation has nice school bonuses. Nice thing is that scrolls will still be available to me no matter what opposing schools I pick.

Desiderius

Patron
Considering I don't own Varnhold or last DLC, what would be good one handed weapon to build my defense paladin around?
I cannot remember weapons that give bonus AC and that I can take to endgame. Considering the character using it will be a paladin that can put more enchantments on it, it can be a bit lacking with offensive enchantments.

Also for two handed barbarian, it seems that greatsword is best so I can use the one from the tomb? Maybe Fauchard might be useful but I rely on getting the one from the master which is not always reliable.

Scroll Savant wizard I guess cannot use feats to boost scroll use (neither DC or spell pen), seems using scrolls is then best for buffs and defensive spells and spell slots for CC or damage spells? I cannot decide which school specialization to pick. Conjuration has useful spells, but Evocation has nice school bonuses. Nice thing is that scrolls will still be available to me no matter what opposing schools I pick.

Tomb sword is Bastard I believe. You can get +3 Fauchard lying on the ground at Rinderpest before Vordokai or +2 with frost from depths. There’s another two from artisan other than Mastery which are very good.

Unclear who you’d be reaching over though in a four man with no pets or summons.

Sykar

Arcane
Freebooter main, lvl 11:

View attachment 11319

Uses bane weapons where appropriate for big damage spikes but default Glaive does fine too. Reach is nice with Great Cleave.

Glad its working out for you. Freebooter is a great class, if not necessarily main character material for me.
Personally not a fan of Glaives, though. Too few crits. Methinks you may need to get a hold of the Serpent Prince Fauchard.

Out of curiosity, which classes do you consider main character material?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom