Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So with mods that change sneak attack dmg to be closer to tabletop i will have to put someone behind a mob which is already engaged frontally correct?
hhaha if owlcat implemented the tabletop rule about flanking people would go beserk after all the multiclass abominations sneak attack abuse builds would be rendered obsolete.

The biggest impact will be on Outflank, which is probably overpowered at the moment.

Zumbabul

Savant
Dear gentelmen,

Can you explain me how Use Magic Device and scrolls work? I thought that each time I use a scroll, there should be a skill check. However, my cleric seems to successfully cast the scrolls 100 % of the times. Am I so lucky? Or there is some exception for clerics in the rules?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Characters can freely use scrolls (and wands) with spells available to their class (even if they don't know the spell in question).
UMD is only use to attempt casting from scrolls/wands with spells from other classes (like if your cleric was trying to cast Magic Missile).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Freebooter main, lvl 11:

View attachment 11319

Uses bane weapons where appropriate for big damage spikes but default Glaive does fine too. Reach is nice with Great Cleave.

Glad its working out for you. Freebooter is a great class, if not necessarily main character material for me.
Personally not a fan of Glaives, though. Too few crits. Methinks you may need to get a hold of the Serpent Prince Fauchard.

Out of curiosity, which classes do you consider main character material?

Eh, I'm a munchkin at heart, so my opinion is probably very biased.
For me, let's see:
Magus with its archetypes (you could notice I like Sword Saints)
Wizard/Sorceror (along with their Prestige Classes)
Kineticists
Vivisectionists (usually multiclassed)
Druids, I guess - although I didn't have a closer look at them here
Maybe COULD try a bard multiclass

Personally I wouldn't play rogue mains, barbarians, monks, rangers - although I can see some decent potential in these classes.
Fighters are too boring and Paladins generally too weak (or support oriented in case of Hospitaler) for me. Clerics are too support oriented - and need too much buffing to become sub-par fighters for very brief bursts.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This weekend I have finally tried TB mod. I must say it is pretty cool. It is fun how now I can do little optimizations like delay so my bard goes first and uses bard song or how I can do a 5 foot step first so my other archer without precise shot can attack without a -4 penalty.
Also thundercaller bard is pretty fun in TB, you get to manage your song, sonic boom or standard spells and cantrips. Also feels like a proper spellcasting bard. You only focus on extra songs and charisma and spells.

Zumbabul

Savant
Characters can freely use scrolls (and wands) with spells available to their class (even if they don't know the spell in question).
UMD is only use to attempt casting from scrolls/wands with spells from other classes (like if your cleric was trying to cast Magic Missile).

Thanks for clarifying. That change a lot of stuff for me. Basically, I can stop memorizing some rarely used skill by cleric (like restoration, and cure blindness) and memorize something else. Also, I can delay haste on my sorcerer (or just never learn it, and rely on scrolls). Thanks again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
With Cure Blindness you can definitely rely on scrolls. Restoration... well, up to you, you may need a lot of such scrolls in the future.
As for Haste and similar short-lasting effects, I don't recommend it. Scrolls/wands have base spell parameters, including durations (and can't use metamagic effects). A Haste scroll will always provide that effect for measly 30 seconds (Extended Haste cast at level 10 would last 2 minutes - and 4 minutes at level 20).

Zumbabul

Savant
Yeah, I understand this. At level six, my sorcerer will need to decide wich spell to pick: stinking cloud, haste, or fireball. Scrolls of haste could be a good temporary solution.

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah, I understand this. At level six, my sorcerer will need to decide wich spell to pick: stinking cloud, haste, or fireball. Scrolls of haste could be a good temporary solution.

It’s not good, but you’ve got a million. Mise well use them sometime. Several of the companions can cast haste too. It’s an alchemist spell.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Freebooter main, lvl 11:

View attachment 11319

Uses bane weapons where appropriate for big damage spikes but default Glaive does fine too. Reach is nice with Great Cleave.

Glad its working out for you. Freebooter is a great class, if not necessarily main character material for me.
Personally not a fan of Glaives, though. Too few crits. Methinks you may need to get a hold of the Serpent Prince Fauchard.

Out of curiosity, which classes do you consider main character material?

Eh, I'm a munchkin at heart, so my opinion is probably very biased.
For me, let's see:
Magus with its archetypes (you could notice I like Sword Saints)
Wizard/Sorceror (along with their Prestige Classes)
Kineticists
Vivisectionists (usually multiclassed)
Druids, I guess - although I didn't have a closer look at them here
Maybe COULD try a bard multiclass

Personally I wouldn't play rogue mains, barbarians, monks, rangers - although I can see some decent potential in these classes.
Fighters are too boring and Paladins generally too weak (or support oriented in case of Hospitaler) for me. Clerics are too support oriented - and need too much buffing to become sub-par fighters for very brief bursts.

The perennial subpar, impervious to proof. The bursts are ten rounds, twenty with extend, and it’s a first level spell but whatever. Probably too brief for me since I never rest. And don’t multiclass Bards, they need their caster levels for Song DCs and Spell Pen.

Everything else is sound advice.

One thing you may want to do is make your MC a class you consider essential to give yourself more flexibility slotting in and out companions.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With Cure Blindness you can definitely rely on scrolls. Restoration... well, up to you, you may need a lot of such scrolls in the future.
As for Haste and similar short-lasting effects, I don't recommend it. Scrolls/wands have base spell parameters, including durations (and can't use metamagic effects). A Haste scroll will always provide that effect for measly 30 seconds (Extended Haste cast at level 10 would last 2 minutes - and 4 minutes at level 20).

This is why people like Scroll Savants - scrolls change to character caster level at Scroll Savant level 10.

Desiderius

Patron

This is why people like Scroll Savants - scrolls change to character caster level at Scroll Savant level 10.

If only wand mastery worked like that...

Desiderius

Patron
Several of the companions can cast haste too. It’s an alchemist spell.

I have started an ironman run with a party of 4 custom characters. So, this is not an option for me.

Should be fine as a stopgap, though I think you’ll be disappointed in the results from damage spells at that level. Gotta do something with those scrolls.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is the turn based mod any good? I really want to play this but i fucking hate RTwP with all my soul.
It's good. It's also something you can toggle on and off so you don't have to slog through filler content in TB mode if you don't want to.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I cannot get Cleave to work in TB mod. My barbarian is surrounded by wolves. I hit cleave on one of them, kill him (and by that hit him) and then I tried to click on another wolf and nothing happens like I don't have actions left :(

Desiderius

Patron
I cannot get Cleave to work in TB mod. My barbarian is surrounded by wolves. I hit cleave on one of them, kill him (and by that hit him) and then I tried to click on another wolf and nothing happens like I don't have actions left :(

You don’t. One standard action per round. If there is a valid Cleave target (or ten in the case of Great Cleave with reach) in range you’ll automatically whack it at the same time your original attack resolves. A little yellow circle will pop up when you target a mob with Cleave to help you see what’s in range.

It may be bugged in TB, but that’s how it works in RT.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You don’t. One standard action per round. If there is a valid Cleave target (or ten in the case of Great Cleave with reach) in range you’ll automatically whack it at the same time your original attack resolves. A little yellow circle will pop up when you target a mob with Cleave to help you see what’s in range.

I have not seen this extra attack happen.. or maybe it does not have an animation and I didn't check the combat log.

EDIT: I have checked the yellow circle, it is smaller than my normal attack reach lol. And I only use a standard two handed sword...

Desiderius

Patron

I have not seen this extra attack happen.. or maybe it does not have an animation and I didn't check the combat log.

It’s a lot easier when you’re enlarged, so I try to stay that way at all times.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

EDIT: I have checked the yellow circle, it is smaller than my normal attack reach lol. And I only use a standard two handed sword...

It's a single animation for all targets in range.
Yeah, use reach weapon, fight enlarged.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is the turn based mod any good? I really want to play this but i fucking hate RTwP with all my soul.

Its great. The game just has crapload of encounters and most of them are of 'bunch of same animals' variety - so Turn Based makes THAT even more of a slog.

Just turn the turn based mode off and auto attack the trash mobs through. Turn it on with the harder enemies.

It didn't really work in the last two chapters unless you play lower difficulties, and that's one of the reason why these two chapters sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom