Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Edition - RTwP incline from Owlcat Games

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Elex, Nov 20, 2018.

1. AdamReith Educated Patron

AdamReith
    Sadly I hated the companions so much I opened up the wiki to check if there was any that interested me. Assuming this list is complete, I've read through their bios and they all seem terrible. And don't get me started about having an Evil aligned character and a Good aligned character as lovers, way to make the whole system a joke.

How are mercenaries gimped?

^ Top  
  2. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    Mercs have a less stat buy than story companions. They also get a penalty for being advisors.

^ Top  
  3. Daidre Scholar

Daidre
    They get penalty in Kingdom Management advisory positions but clearly superior in anything combat related due to customization. Less of stat buy than couple of companions but all this points is where you want them.

^ Top  
  4. AdamReith Educated Patron

AdamReith
    :negative:

^ Top  
  5. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    Stick with the story companions. Their interactions amongst each other, is pretty fun to listen to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Daidre Scholar

Daidre
    You can use mercs for combat and story chars for Kingdom Management. Also, starting pool of companions is a bit on the bland side, especially their initial dialogue trees. It is not as bad as it seems on first look, and chapter 2 companions is widely acclaimed as pretty cool.

^ Top  
  7. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    Oh yeah. The companions also act quite mature when assigned as advisors. Don't know if that would concern you, or not. Yet, I did enjoy how they acted when becoming advisors.

^ Top  
  8. AdamReith Educated Patron

AdamReith
    I realise it's early to write them off like I am, I just really hate it when characters info dump their back story and act really familiar for no reason to my character irregardless of the level of social retardation I'm "role playing".

I will heed thine advice once more RPGCodex and stick with them for a bit, maybe they'll click too given some time.

^ Top  
  9. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    It's not clear at all. Companions get boosts from their quests. Stats are cheap in any case and dumpstating isn't really a thing. Mercs are gimped full stop. You may not like it, but trying to make mercs happen isn't going to change it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    ^ Top  
  10. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Sinners and tax collectors. You can influence them. Well, it can happen in game. If you're so quick to hate I doubt that would interest you.

^ Top  
  11. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    Yeah. I understand. For what's worth, you can influence them to act differently, through their quests, and when you talk to them.

^ Top  
  12. AdamReith Educated Patron

AdamReith
    Hate is a strong word. I guess when everything else is, all things considered, pretty flawless the issues with the companions stick out in harsh relief. I mean they are in another league to the characters in for example PoE or Tyranny but certainly in chapter 1 there weren't any hooks to get me invested in them over a character I rolled myself.

^ Top  
  13. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    The writing is good, but it is going to take a while before it convinces you. I had similar thoughts as you at the beginning, but now (dozens of hours later, in Act 3), I have changed my mind. It takes a while to pick up, which is not our fault. But it is good.

That said, the companions, and especially the early companions, are the weakest side of it. I still can't stand Val and Amiri, even though Amiri's quest just became interesting.

My advice is: Stick to the companions, have the companions that you find fun replace the ones you don't like (my two favorite companions are met in Act 2), but do everyone's quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Has her moments of dumb hilarity. Her VA does deliver.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    No matter what you think about others but Linzi is just the cutest..
    Show Spoiler
    except when she robs you :D
    Show Spoiler
    Or leaves you in endgame :D

^ Top  
  16. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    I never understood that though. Why a damn book. WHY A BOOK! WHHHY! BEST BARD! A BOOK! Still pissed about that.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    In my first run of engame I had her in my party
    Show Spoiler
    and didn't really have a replacement for her heh. I got used to massive bonuses from Good Hope+Bard Song. I also multiclassed her into archer EK and she did very good damage. I had to take Ekun instead and while his ranged output was similar he had none of the party wide buffs she would provide

^ Top  
  18. Pink Eye Kineticist Patron

Pink Eye
    Yup.
    Show Spoiler
    Losing her crippled my first playthrough, as she was by far my best bard. She had access to all the good buffs and spells. It wasn't very fun losing her like that. I couldn't even get a replacement because I had grown so dependent on her. I mean how could I not? I used her through the whole game.

^ Top  
  19. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    That’s fair in retrospect. All ch. 2 chars are very good.

^ Top  
  20. CoronerZg Educated

CoronerZg
    I kind of hate that some companions are forced upon you... I'm playing selfish no-nonsense evil MC and since Linzi picked team hobbit at the start of the game I left her in the Kobold prison and later told her to GTFO, but no, she's all funny and cute and won't leave and I can't do shit about her hanging around my throne room. And then she f...ing robs me and I STILL can't take her head off or at least banish her. Yay. And that everyone's favorite goblin at some point also got in the throne room saying I'm sitting on his throne so I told my guards to hang him and yet he is still alive and well, just chilling outside. And the game is generally pretty good at letting me play the way I want - I even hanged that dwarf artisan for making demands cause I didn't know about artisans and the cool items they make for you... and he's of course not well and chilling outside (well okay, technically, he is chilling outside :M)

^ Top  
  21. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    This game is Revenge of the Bard.

EK isn’t very good because you’re still stuck with slow spell progression and you lose song DC and the good high level songs. She can do damage fine on routine fights as a straight Bard. On hard fights she should be casting anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Selfish Evil people are all about forcing themselves and their shit on everyone else.

Suck it up, buttercup.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Dorf Relic Helm casts Good Hope and there are several wands.

^ Top  
  24. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Two more questions for +1,5K hours playas:

1. What's the selling point of an archaeologist? I see it mentioned a lot, but it seems kinda sucky compared to vanilla bard?
    2. In your opinion, what would be the best base class for duelist? Sword saint?

^ Top  
  25. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    1. Trickery per level, can take ten on Trickery checks, including ones for half mil EXP. Uncanny Dodge at lvl 2, Evasion later, Luck stacks with most everything. It’s not Archaeologist or Bard, it’s and.

Class is currently bugged since Archaeologists Luck doesn’t linger.

2. SS is a busted class, Duelist is overkill. Unfortunately both Duelist and Swordlord lose out to opportunity cost.

You could take some levels of Duelist on Eldritch Scoundrel to give you some extra AC and damage, but probably not worth it. I’ve tried to make Parry/Riposte work and it’s too much trouble for what you get.

Parry only triggers on an attack that would otherwise hit, which makes Riposte pretty bad but could theoretically stop you* getting hit even on Nat 20s if you can get your AB up high enough.

* - or someone else with Parry (other) at another minus 4.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)