Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Does Cleve RPG Codex quest still gives you insane amounts of XP for passed skill checks?
Yes. Even more if you go to the settings and make it so only the character who succeeds on the skill check will gain exp.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm just frustrated with my inability to make actual progress on Unfair Iron Man.

Judging by what I have been reading in your guide, I do not think that Unfair is doable ironman. Too much RNG for that. Maybe it could be tried with an army of pets and summons for every fight, but I do not see it happening otherwise. It is possible that the developers decided they would feel insulted if highest difficulty were doable ironman.

I also have my doubts that one can ironman Hard. But it could be tried. Challenging is probably doable.

imo it is also connected to damage done by character.

It is possible. However, I am playing with 2 tanks and Reggie in my frontline, and most of the switching I see is towards Reggie (lowest AC of the 3) even before he does any damage. So I am not convinced yet.
>I do not think that Unfair is doable ironman. Too much RNG for that.
Yup. That's the conclusion I'm starting to come to.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
I am at Stag Lord's fort (soon to face him), and the 30 day limit has passed. Is there any motivation now for me to try to do it as fast as possible or can I just take my time as long as I am within the 90 day limit? I believe that all the following timers are relative to the coronation, which means that it is more efficient to do as much exploring as possible before the coronation, right?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I am at Stag Lord's fort (soon to face him), and the 30 day limit has passed. Is there any motivation now for me to try to do it as fast as possible or can I just take my time as long as I am within the 90 day limit? I believe that all the following timers are relative to the coronation, which means that it is more efficient to do as much exploring as possible before the coronation, right?
>Is there any motivation now for me to try to do it as fast as possible or can I just take my time as long as I am within the 90 day limit
Yup. Take your sweet time. I didn't turn the quest to Oleg until I had five days remaining. The most important thing is that you reach level five before chapter two starts though. Level five is the last major power spike of the early game.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Just beat that fucking Troll in the Dwarven Fortress. Damn, these battles are all about luck, for damn sure. If you don't get that Hideous Laughter on him off the back, you have to reload. He fucking destroys everyone, even with everyone buffed to hell and back.

Crazily enough, I killed him before I even got to the Kobold leader. I've read that people usually kill the Kobold leader before they kill him, but my party kept missing his ass. Somehow, I don't even know who it was, but the Troll was at very low health. Either Ekun was criting him like crazy or Octavia did something miraculous. I'm not about to go through that long ass log to find out either. I just pay my respect to either Ekun or Octavia. My fighters were all focused on the Kobold, and before you know it, the fucking Troll king dies.

It was very, very close battle too because he got up and will-saved a hideous laughter. The second one worked right as he hit my main character paladin to almost zero health.

It had to be Ekun because Octavia was also busy casting blindness, weaken, etc. Maybe he didn't will-save a weaken or something, which is new because he always will-saves those.
I used Linzi's bardic Fascinate ability, but yeah, a will-based stun attack seems to be his only weakness. If it doesn't succeed... party wipe within 30 seconds. On the flip side my main character is a Paladin too, and he streamrolled a major undead boss in under 10 seconds, so at least the imbalance works both ways.

Hopefully you'll have an easier time beating the king again with Jubilost. With a little tinkering those bombs pack a wallop.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Here is another example of a well forced choke point:
erLD4cb.jpg

Due to the narrow tunnel, the spiders can only face you two at a time. Thus forcing an otherwise annoying fight, into an easy enough fight. Initially the fight with the spiders was out in an open area. Typically speaking you don't want to engage in open areas, for the enemy can easily surround you, and inflict the flanking bonus on you. Man, I could spend the entire day talking about choke points.

The only thing I am not sure about is whether it is a good idea to put castle management on easy or something. What do you guys think? Does it add to the game or just annoying.

Kingdom management is an important part of the game, and you will be missing a great deal of the developers' intentions if you do not play it. Personally I like it, and I say you need to at least try it.

I have been playing kingdom management on "Normal" since my 1st playthrough, and it is fine.

My singular problem with the Kingdom Management, is how you personally cannot attend to any of it, nor can you assign a free eligible adviser. Why can't we have deputy treasurers or reagents? It's obnoxious having a problem card pop up one day after you've committed your adviser to a month long task.

jungl

Augur
Every build would have no problem if pozzedo publishing took some time and balanced their 3.5 rule set rather then copy pasting it from wizards of the coast. Monk AC bonus from wisdom/charisma for example should only go fully online if several monk levels are obtained instead of one.

purupuru

Learned
Need a word of advice: should I play the "Varnhold's Lot" DLC before "Season of Bloom", or after?

Also so far having a sweet time playing a Sloth Mage/Feyspeaker/Mystic Theurge. Don't get so hung-up on min-maxing, good people. Have fun and roleplay.
I would say at least wait till the part during "Season of Bloom" where
you receive a letter from Varnhold
, then you either go do the DLC or finish the chapter first, doesn't matter that much.

Cael

Arcane
Every build would have no problem if pozzedo publishing took some time and balanced their 3.5 rule set rather then copy pasting it from wizards of the coast. Monk AC bonus from wisdom/charisma for example should only go fully online if several monk levels are obtained instead of one.
Yeah. And all fighter types should have full BAB only after a few levels, too. And wizard spellcasting only kicks in after a few levels.

Trashos

Arcane
My singular problem with the Kingdom Management, is how you personally cannot attend to any of it, nor can you assign a free eligible adviser. Why can't we have deputy treasurers or reagents? It's obnoxious having a problem card pop up one day after you've committed your adviser to a month long task.

Just assign the tasks at a time when they will be finished before the end of the month or right at the end of the month. This way you will almost always have the advisors available before deadlines, unless you forget Bald Hill's timer or you want to do the Curses.

having a problem card pop up one day after you've committed your adviser to a month long task.
That's exactly the reason Kingdom management is so fun to play.
Not when your only responses are to hope the new problem won't expire in time, or choose to fail your other endeavour. If you have another eligible advisor, or even your baron itself, you should be able to use them.

Efe

Erudite
they used to be guaranteed to fail. now events last 1 month minimum so you can actually respond right after your month long task.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK I am finally ready to open my buttcheeks and accept the glory of Kingmaker, I even bought at full price, might as well fund their next game

I didn't plan too much but am trying a Scaled Fist 1 / Sword Saint on Hard. I feel like Hard is a good fit in other ways, but the flat bumps to AC really does turn every battle into a missfest. What are some easy early game ways to boost attack rolls, and is this just going to be an intense AC arms race all the way?

Bumbling about at the moment, just got to temple w/ Linzi Amiri Jaethal Valerie

Ipum

Novice
Make Jaethal your tank. Undead immunities + useful buffs. You can easily boost your attack rolls by long baffs (10min/lvl and longer) like bless and heroism with extend metamagic rod lesser + bardic music.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Tigranes, have you played Kingmaker before? If not, drop down to Challenging for your 1st playthrough. It is.... challenging enough for someone who does not know what to expect yet and how everything works.

I have done 2 full playthroughs on Challenging, and Hard is still kicking my ass. Right now I am looking for money in order to resurrect 2 dead companions :lol:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>OK I am finally ready to open my buttcheeks and accept the glory of Kingmaker. I even bought at full price.
Good lad.

>I didn't plan too much but am trying a Scaled Fist 1 / Sword Saint on Hard
Yeah, that build should see you through. Haplo has good advice for Sword Saints here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...nd-strats-thread.124160/page-114#post-6121550

>What are some easy early game ways to boost attack rolls.
There are many options to boost your means of hitting things. The main way is inflicting one of the many conditions found here. For example, spells like sleep, color spray, daze, grease, and finally web. Are all great spells of inflicting conditions upon the enemy. I suggest taking a look at Linzi's spell book and choosing spells that do just that. For buffs, you can use enlarge (Always prioritize high STR users), bless, guidance, divine favor, bard song (Linzi has access to this right from the start), and true strike. There are many more spells and it would be too exhaustive for me to describe each and every single one of them. I recommend reading through your spell list, and taking spells that benefit attack rolls.

>Is this just going to be an intense AC arms race all the way?
I only play on Unfair. However, from my experience on Unfair, yes. Game is all about squeezing as many bonuses as you can. Heavy armor users excel at the early game, but start capping at the mid game. Where else monks and sword saints start to really shine in the mid game to late game. Basically, you should be okay, unless you mess up your build.

>Bumbling about at the moment, just got to temple.
Not ideal. Some of the enemies there are going to be annoying to deal with. I suggest holding off on the temple until you get a couple of levels under your belt first.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Need a word of advice: should I play the "Varnhold's Lot" DLC before "Season of Bloom", or after?

Also so far having a sweet time playing a Sloth Mage/Feyspeaker/Mystic Theurge. Don't get so hung-up on min-maxing, good people. Have fun and roleplay.
I suggest playing the Varnhold's Lot as early as possible.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Make Jaethal your tank. Undead immunities + useful buffs. You can easily boost your attack rolls by long baffs (10min/lvl and longer) like bless and heroism with extend metamagic rod lesser + bardic music.
Good advice. However, most newbies don't know how to deal with Jaethal being undead, i.e "How do I heal her?". Valerie is a safe bet for most new players.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
The only thing I am not sure about is whether it is a good idea to put castle management on easy or something. What do you guys think? Does it add to the game or just annoying.

Kingdom management is an important part of the game, and you will be missing a great deal of the developers' intentions if you do not play it. Personally I like it, and I say you need to at least try it.

I have been playing kingdom management on "Normal" since my 1st playthrough, and it is fine.

>It's obnoxious having a problem card pop up one day after you've committed your adviser to a month long task.
Usually it's okay to fail and take a hit to stats, for sometimes the hit to stats isn't that bad. Easily recoverable if your advisors succeed on a problem card. I always recommend people to make a hard save at the start of each month. That way you can better assess what problems are worth the attention, and which ones are not.

Also, another thing, some problem cards usually have a timer. But if you dedicated your advisor to a month long event, then I can see that being a problem.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks all.

It's my first run, so I may drop one of the enemy stat options down a notch in difficulty. It's weird in the sense that stock Hard feels good generally, but AC acts the fundamental bottleneck for everything both sides do. An enlarged Amiri can one-hit most things, you just have to stand in front of her and hang on until she actually hits an AC25 enemy with an attack roll of +6 or whatever.

For the sword saint, I rolled a DEX/CHA build thinking I'll later do a couple in Paladin and use monk/pal classes' CHA bonus for AC/Saves, stay naked/robed whole game. Is that too fiddly? I see Haplo went with more of a standard build.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Thanks all.

It's my first run, so I may drop one of the enemy stat options down a notch in difficulty. It's weird in the sense that stock Hard feels good generally, but AC acts the fundamental bottleneck for everything both sides do. An enlarged Amiri can one-hit most things, you just have to stand in front of her and hang on until she actually hits an AC25 enemy with an attack roll of +6 or whatever.

For the sword saint, I rolled a DEX/CHA build thinking I'll later do a couple in Paladin and use monk/pal classes' CHA bonus for AC/Saves, stay naked/robed whole game. Is that too fiddly? I see Haplo went with more of a standard build.
>For the sword saint, I rolled a DEX/CHA build.
DEX does have high AC, however STR does more damage. We will have to summon Haplo and ask him what he thinks.

Trashos

Arcane
I may drop one of the enemy stat options down a notch in difficulty. It's weird in the sense that stock Hard feels good generally, but AC acts the fundamental bottleneck for everything both sides do.

The main difference between Challenging and Hard comes from the "Enemy difficulty" option. On Challenging it is set to "Normal", on Hard it is set to "Strengthened". It makes a world of a difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom