Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
River Fox's Memento Pendant
  • +5 Competence to Trickery & Mobility
  • Versus flanked characters, denies their Dex bonus to AC and deals +1D6 Sneak Attack damage
  • Versus enemies not yet in combat, +3D6 Sneak Attack damage
I had a thought about this item. Perhaps if a damage dealer has this item, then they don't need Shatter Defenses?

Any shaken, frightened, or panicked opponent hit by you this round is flat-footed to your attacks until the end of your next turn. This includes any additional attacks you make this round.

For a damage dealer that reliably gets enemies flanked, he'll basically never need Shatter Defenses because River Fox Memento will automatically negate enemies' Dex bonuses and open them to Sneak Attack.

Counterpoint: sometimes you don't have a target flanked, and in those situations you'll need Shatter Defenses.... not sure if it's worth a ton of feats though?

Thoughts? Of course this item is in Chapter 5 so it's a late pickup, but still could be worth it on a build that's starved for feats.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • Versus flanked characters, denies their Dex bonus to AC and deals +1D6 Sneak Attack damage
I had a thought about this item. Perhaps if a damage dealer has this item, then they don't need Shatter Defenses?

Any shaken, frightened, or panicked opponent hit by you this round is flat-footed to your attacks until the end of your next turn. This includes any additional attacks you make this round.

For a damage dealer that reliably gets enemies flanked, he'll basically never need Shatter Defenses because River Fox Memento will automatically negate enemies' Dex bonuses and open them to Sneak Attack.

Counterpoint: sometimes you don't have a target flanked, and in those situations you'll need Shatter Defenses.... not sure if it's worth a ton of feats though?

Thoughts? Of course this item is in Chapter 5 so it's a late pickup, but still could be worth it on a build that's starved for feats.
Do we know if dodge bonuses are implemented correctly in Kingmaker? In Pathfinder, when your Dexterity bonus to AC is denied, you also lose your Dodge one. Does Kingmaker work like that?

Yosharian

Arcane

Do we know if dodge bonuses are implemented correctly in Kingmaker? In Pathfinder, when your Dexterity bonus to AC is denied, you also lose your Dodge one. Does Kingmaker work like that?
I believe that's the case, yes. I remember when my Dex tank, who didn't have Uncanny Dodge at the time, lost tons of his AC during the first round - he lost all his dodge bonuses as well as his Dex bonus.

The question is whether the item is coded like that. It probably is. If it is, maybe it can replace Shatter Defenses.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
BQPEMQ2.jpg
Mouse over failed checks to see how you failed, or successful ones to see how you succeeded.
I know. There are no camping checks in that picture, all the Lore (Nature) checks are for identifying the Boggards.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

I had the same thought. Results inconclusive.

Could just be reminder text that flanking is already giving flat-footed?

Desiderius

Patron
Mouse over failed checks to see how you failed, or successful ones to see how you succeeded.
I know. There are no camping checks in that picture, all the Lore (Nature) checks are for identifying the Boggards.

There's also no time passed information that you would have if you'd rested, so either you forgot to rest or are looking at the wrong part of the log.

Possible that you've got your info configured differently in the difficulty menu.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
But what's the elven king?

Close to the end of the game, right before you enter Nyrissa's funhouse, you come across an ancient crown with the spirit of an elven king bound to it. You have three options on what to do with it. You can keep it, research the curse and use the spirit to help you against Nyrissa, give it to Pharasma so the soul can pass on, or hand it over to Shyka the Many for... shenanigans.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay, I'm new here.

Giving Kingmaker another try - chose the chaotic and evil companions (huge incline that's it's possible). BUT does the game stay railroaded like that? That's my biggest issue with it so far.

The leveling up in different classes is kind of weird, but okay. Definitely something new.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Okay, I'm new here.

Giving Kingmaker another try - chose the chaotic and evil companions (huge incline that's it's possible). BUT does the game stay railroaded like that? That's my biggest issue with it so far.

The leveling up in different classes is kind of weird, but okay. Definitely something new.
What do you mean by "railroaded like that"? The "main plot" is divided in acts, so it's mostly linear (sometimes it gives you two tasks and you have to decide which one to complete first, with your decision bearing consequences), but you are free to explore the world map however you like.

If you are referring to which companions you have access to, you will be able to recruit all of them, but at different times during the story according to your actions.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The free exploration of the world map becomes possible after the trading post act with the three month limit? I guess you get the kingdom then and can go where you want?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The free exploration of the world map becomes possible after the trading post act with the three month limit? I guess you get the kingdom then and can go where you want?
Why don't you start the game on "Normal" and just play it for, like, 5 hours?

If you feel "railroaded", "overwhelmed" or have some other reddity feelings you drop the game. If the game is too difficult you drop the difficulty 1 notch. If the game is OK, but the combat feels boring, you up the difficulty.

Repeat until you either finish the game or uninstall it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Usually each act unlocks a region or two, so the exploration is never totally free (except during the very last couple of acts). Inside the "unlocked" regions, you are free to explore however you want, but you usually have some "indications", since main quests often revolves around visiting certain areas.

You will always have some sort of "time limits", but they are always very lenient (you will always have time to fuck around and make mistakes).

Probably the best thing to do if you want to explore the map as freely as possible is to build Teleportation Circles as soon as possible in every village you set up. However, to understand how to build them you need to spoil some game mechanics (Kingdom primary and secondary stats relations) for yourself.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

If you feel "railroaded", "overwhelmed" or have some other reddity feelings you drop the game. If the game is too difficult you drop the difficulty 1 notch. If the game is OK, but the combat feels boring, you up the difficulty.

Where did I say anything about "overwhelmed"? I just wanted to make sure there is open-world exploration at some point, that's it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Where did I say anything about "overwhelmed"? I just wanted to make sure there is open-world exploration at some point, that's it.

It opens up gradually each chapter. You'll find rivers you can't cross until you complete the current story quest.

But there's quite a bit to explore and find within each chapter. Its more open than Icewind Dale, but not quite at BG1/2 level.

Gargaune

Magister

It's gradual, like the others have said, but it's not a dripfeed. After you complete the first chapter and establish your barony you're free to roam the central part of the map up to the long mountain range to the east, which unlocks about midway through, and to the Sellen river to the west, which unlocks a bit later on after that. Overall, I doubt you'll have the chance to feel claustrophobic, there's plenty to explore in each stage but don't go in expecting megadungeons, most areas to discover are fairly small and centre around one point of interest or encounter.

Make sure to have a character with high Perception in your party and keep pumping it as you progress, there's plenty of areas on the world map that are hidden behind Perception checks when you pass by them.

Desiderius

Patron

It's gradual, like the others have said, but it's not a dripfeed. After you complete the first chapter and establish your barony you're free to roam the central part of the map up to the long mountain range to the east, which unlocks about midway through, and to the Sellen river to the west, which unlocks a bit later on after that. Overall, I doubt you'll have the chance to feel claustrophobic, there's plenty to explore in each stage but don't go in expecting megadungeons, most areas to discover are fairly small and centre around one point of interest or encounter.

Make sure to have a character with high Perception in your party and keep pumping it as you progress, there's plenty of areas on the world map that are hidden behind Perception checks when you pass by them.

Chaotic Evil fans asking for help, part gazillion in a spoiled Zoomer series.

For the non-CE reading along, you get multiple bites at the Perception apple each time, so it's worth it to have several toons at least competent at it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Usually I try to max Perception on at least two characters (three if possible), because you can get fucked by a bad roll and savescumming for perception rolls is horribly painful (you also need to know where exaclty you are supposed to find something).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Made a Ranger with 18 Perception - I like sniper builds.

Efe

Erudite
you are free to go wherever you want in first act too.
you are limited by fog but can move freely within it. 3 months if plenty of time. feel free to roam.

definitely go to ratnook hill for some sweet loot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom