Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's illegal cos the cleave attack is also a vital strike. At least, that's how I remember Hap explaining it

Ah, that doesn't come up much because if you've got another mob in range you just use Cleave anyway, at least until you've got Greater Vital Strike. Even there usually you're Great Cleaving a group or Vital Striking a lone boss.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's illegal cos the cleave attack is also a vital strike. At least, that's how I remember Hap explaining it

You have a point, Yosh.

dDSQx6C.jpg

But yeah, it doesn't come about that much. You often need to setup it a bit (soften the mobs first, be in the center). And sacrifices need to be made to include both GVS and Cleaving Finish.

Like Desiderius wrote, Vital Striking alone is more easily included in a regular build - but comes online earliest around level 11, when you qualify for Improved Vital Strike (regular Vital Strike is delayed anyway, as you get the ability to qualify for BAB threshold feats with SS levels a bit later).
In practice - yeah you want a solid two-hander and large dice to use use it, so in case of bastard swords, probably starting with Ovinrbaane in Act IV. Unless you go for greataxes from the start (which would significantly reduce a Sword Saint's flexibility, but would work fine for other classes with a Vital Strike / Cleaving fetish).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bottom line for PA is that the best STR-based melee builds (Haplo Vital Striker/AoO/Cleaver and Smilodon Pouncer) don't even care about iteratives.
Do you really think the Vital Strike Saint build is better than Haplo's regular Str-based Saint build throughout the game or only at the end once he gets an oversized/reach weapon, Improved Cleaving Finish, etc? While it certainly has some advantages, I hate missing with my single attack at early levels.

Yeah, its basically the same build, only picks some extra feats...

Most of the time before getting all abilities and a bigass weapon, you're better off full-attacking when engaged. Thing is I play with the turn based mod and after movement you cannot full-attack. And as melee you need to move quite a bit.
So a Vital Strike is a much more attractive option then a single standard attack (though Pounce would be even better in most cases, but not everyone has access to that).

Regarding missing, you have Arcane Accuracy and Lesser Quicken Rod TrueStrikes to almost ensure that you don't.

Yosharian

Arcane
Found some interesting mechanics tonight.

So I was testing Martyr's Blade which has Holy, Axiomatic and Vicious. Noticed that Vicious adds a separate instance of damage. So do my Alkali Gloves.

Holy and Axiomatic (and Bane, which I tested later) add their damage to every instance.

This applies to other things such as Ruin's bonus force damage, too.

So if you get Martyr and add Bane to it (easily done with a Magus or Inquisitor) and equip the gloves, you get:

1. Vicious + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
  2. Main damage die + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
  3. Acid 1d6 + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
Fucking insane.

More detail:

Vicious: adds a new instance of damage as 'magic' damage. Doesn't appear to add elemental damage. Working correctly.
Longshank Bane: adding 2d6 force damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)
Holy: adding 2d6 holy damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)
Axiomatic: adding 2d6 holy damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)

So the key issue here is that Bane and the Alignment damage effects are adding to all instances in an attack instead of only adding to the main hand (which elemental damage bonuses do correctly).

Edit: more tests, it appears the following weapons also have this 'extra instance' thing that the Vicious enchantment, Alkali gloves, and Ruin have:

- Remnant: extra 2d6 damage vs evil
- Arcane Enforcer: extra 1d6 vs anything (!)
- Blade of the Merciful: extra 2d6 fire vs non-Good

All these of these items get Holy, Axiomatic and Bane added to their extra 'instance' of damage that they do on-hit.

Just for shits and giggles I added all three to Arcane Enforcer and Blade of the Merciful then dual-wielded them with Professor Pain (10 APR: 5 main hand, 3 off-hand, 1 bite, 1 gore)

Results: 10k damage dealt in 49 seconds.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Haplo Desiderius, do you have any Ranger Vital Strike/Improved Cleaving Finish build that I can take as a reference? Improved Cleaving Finish sounds cool, but man that's a lot of feats...

If you don't have iteratives you don't need Shatter. That's why I kept talking about using best available two-hander.

Use your Combat Style on Cleave line then get Vital Strikes late.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Found some interesting mechanics tonight.

So I was testing Martyr's Blade which has Holy, Axiomatic and Vicious. Noticed that Vicious adds a separate instance of damage. So do my Alkali Gloves.

Holy and Axiomatic (and Bane, which I tested later) add their damage to every instance.

This applies to other things such as Ruin's bonus force damage, too.

So if you get Martyr and add Bane to it (easily done with a Magus or Inquisitor) and equip the gloves, you get:

1. Vicious + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
  2. Main damage die + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
  3. Acid 1d6 + Holy + Axiomatic + Bane
Fucking insane.

More detail:

Vicious: adds a new instance of damage as 'magic' damage. Doesn't appear to add elemental damage. Working correctly.
Longshank Bane: adding 2d6 force damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)
Holy: adding 2d6 holy damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)
Axiomatic: adding 2d6 holy damage and it's adding to other instances (every single one)

So the key issue here is that Bane and the Alignment damage effects are adding to all instances in an attack instead of only adding to the main hand (which elemental damage bonuses do correctly).
Yes, it's easy to see that with a Paladin: if you apply your Holy and Axiomatic Divine Weapon bonds, you see the damage applied to every damage instance (with Vicious weapons or things like Ruin). With Paladins it's even more absurd because Smite Evil gets the same treatment (but it doesn't work with the gloves).

Desiderius

Patron
Just tried it. You've got exactly enough feats to get everything you need on Amiri Booter Barb (10/10) using Combat Style Two-Handed. Can even fit in Dreadful at Booter 10 with no Focus, Shatter, or Display. Even get Pounce at lvl 20.

Obv with Fighter can do whatever you want.

Even Harrim/Tristian can go Cleric 16/Fighter 4 and get Greater Vital + Frightful late.

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, it's easy to see that with a Paladin: if you apply your Holy and Axiomatic Divine Weapon bonds, you see the damage applied to every damage instance (with Vicious weapons or things like Ruin). With Paladins it's even more absurd because Smite Evil gets the same treatment (but it doesn't work with the gloves).

Guess that explains why my Hospitaler MC kept getting so unexpectedly strong with every level while everyone at the Codex was insisting that Paladin suxxors.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Guess that explains why my Hospitaler MC kept getting so unexpectedly strong with every level while everyone at the Codex was insisting that Paladin suxxors.
Even a journalist would be able to finish the game with a Paladin,

Desiderius

Patron
The Hidden Feats at the heart of Haplo's ridonkulous numbers are Perfect Strike and Perfect Crit, Sword Saint exclusives. He'll have 2.5x whatever anyone else can put together.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't try what I did in the video, on Unfair, by the way. It would be suicide. I only managed to pull it off on Hard due to tens of hours of preparation, and cheese.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't try what I did in the video, on Unfair, by the way. It would be suicide. I only managed to pull it off on Hard due to tens of hours of preparation, and cheese.
So the whole deed is hinging on your ability to take one critical hit and not die? Which is impossible on Unfair?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So the whole deed is hinging on your ability to take one critical hit and not die? Which is impossible on Unfair?
No. AoOs are harder to run away from on Unfair. Also critical hits don't do as much damage on Hard.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unfair also boosts the stats of enemies. Which means, they hit harder, and can take more hits.
Hm, I want to test this. And not, not like one "tester" here - I will just write down inspection data on Hard and Unfair.

Thank you for the information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom