Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Does anyone know how Shield Master works? Seems it's adding the heavy shield base AC to attack rolls when it's supposed to just add enchantments.

Test #1 -- Light Shield (1 base AC) = +2 Shield Master bonus
- Ok, maybe the +2 is to offset the -2 dual wield penalty and it's working as intended

Test #2 -- Light Shield +3 (1 base AC + 3 enchantment bonus) = +5 Shield Master bonus
- If #1 is correct, then all is as expected

Test #3 -- Heavy Shield (2 base AC) = +4 Shield Master bonus
- Even if Shield Master gives +2 to offset the -2 dw penalty, there's an extra +2 which is taken from the base AC.

Test #4 -- Heavy Shield +1 (2 base AC + 1 enchantment bonus) = +5 Shield Master bonus
- Same as #3

Test #5 -- Heavy Shield + 3 (2 base AC + 3 enchantment) = +7 Shield Master bonus
- Same as #3

For reference:

Shield Master

Your mastery of the shield allows you to fight with it without hindrance.

Benefit: You do not suffer any penalties on attack rolls made with a shield while you are wielding another weapon. Add your shield's enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls made with the shield as if it were a weapon enhancement bonus.

Shield bash line in general seems to be bugged, first the heavy shield penalty isn't applied for the main hand (-4 instead of -2) and now this. Might forgo the shield and go full DW.
Other than the enchantment Bonus, shield master negates any and all penalty for the offhand shield in dualwielding. that means heavy shield=light shield for offhand attack bonus with TWF feat line. of course the mainland suffers penalties as usual.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, could you guys give me some advice? Yesterday, I played with turn-based mod on via the mod manager, but today, the game freezes on every single startup. There's a hard lock on the PC and I have to reboot. Anyone know what's the deal? Incompatible mod manager version with the game? Is there a specific version to get?

A gameplay question or two:
In turn-based mode, is there no indication of hit chance?
How does time pass? Is it only on the world map, and not while exploring actual areas?

Thanks in advance, chaps.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's no immediate indication, but you can inspect the enemy (you just need to activate inspection mode with Y and then deactivate it when you no longer need it) to see his AC and his active effects and statuses. You should know your attack bonus (you can see it in your character sheet or inventory), so there should be no problem in figuring out your hit chance.

Time is relevant only in the world map and during kingdom management, but sometimes it will also pass during areas exploration (if you rest or fail certain athletics/mobility checks).

Can't help you with the crash, sadly.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey, could you guys give me some advice? Yesterday, I played with turn-based mod on via the mod manager, but today, the game freezes on every single startup. There's a hard lock on the PC and I have to reboot. Anyone know what's the deal? Incompatible mod manager version with the game? Is there a specific version to get?

A gameplay question or two:
How does time pass? Is it only on the world map, and not while exploring actual areas?

Thanks in advance, chaps.
>There's a hard lock on the PC and I have to reboot.
That's very strange indeed. Could it be a heating issue? That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Motherboard and everything seems to run at a decent temperature. I'll have to look into it further.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first thing one has to do while having a problem with a modded game is to remove all the mods, make a clean save, start the game, load the clean save and see what happens. Should be kind of obvious, but not for all, it seems.

However, if a program which is neither a virus nor a driver causes a hard reset then most probably the problem is in the hardware and not in the program.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Loving this thing. Quite early in (level 3) and have some questions for this thread that I haven't been able to solve through googling: -

1. Is there any way to heal Jaethal other than using her own spells. eg consumables?
  2. Is there any way to tell at a glance what classes can learn a given spell from a scroll? Right now I have to just try it with all three magicy characters which is annoying?
  3. The rest system isn't very well explained. I've started to understand that I need 1 ration per rest for each character. Is it a real waste of time if I hunt? What do you recommend I do?
  4. How is casting time determined? Cantrips seem to take longer but I'm not sure. Anything I can do to speed it up?
  5. How should I be using True Strike?

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anyone know how Shield Master works? Seems it's adding the heavy shield base AC to attack rolls when it's supposed to just add enchantments.

Test #1 -- Light Shield (1 base AC) = +2 Shield Master bonus
- Ok, maybe the +2 is to offset the -2 dual wield penalty and it's working as intended

Test #2 -- Light Shield +3 (1 base AC + 3 enchantment bonus) = +5 Shield Master bonus
- If #1 is correct, then all is as expected

Test #3 -- Heavy Shield (2 base AC) = +4 Shield Master bonus
- Even if Shield Master gives +2 to offset the -2 dw penalty, there's an extra +2 which is taken from the base AC.

Test #4 -- Heavy Shield +1 (2 base AC + 1 enchantment bonus) = +5 Shield Master bonus
- Same as #3

Test #5 -- Heavy Shield + 3 (2 base AC + 3 enchantment) = +7 Shield Master bonus
- Same as #3

For reference:

Shield Master

Your mastery of the shield allows you to fight with it without hindrance.

Benefit: You do not suffer any penalties on attack rolls made with a shield while you are wielding another weapon. Add your shield's enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls made with the shield as if it were a weapon enhancement bonus.

Shield bash line in general seems to be bugged, first the heavy shield penalty isn't applied for the main hand (-4 instead of -2) and now this. Might forgo the shield and go full DW.

It's double-counting something. Shield-bashing is unfortunately undersupported in P:K so they likely threw that in (or decided not to fix it) to make it more competitive with other options. If you get a decent crit range in your main hand it can be a viable option with Bashing Finish. Depths has Bashing Shield for sale if you want to go that route.

Desiderius

Patron
Loving this thing. Quite early in (level 3) and have some questions for this thread that I haven't been able to solve through googling: -

1. Is there any way to heal Jaethal other than using her own spells. eg consumables?
  2. Is there any way to tell at a glance what classes can learn a given spell from a scroll? Right now I have to just try it with all three magicy characters which is annoying?
  3. The rest system isn't very well explained. I've started to understand that I need 1 ration per rest for each character. Is it a real waste of time if I hunt? What do you recommend I do?
  4. How is casting time determined? Cantrips seem to take longer but I'm not sure. Anything I can do to speed it up?

1. yes. Also, if you make her a Cleric she can convert all her spells to Inflict Spells. Probably just easier to avoid being hit (good idea in general).
2. You get a feel for it as you go. There are only a few classes that learn spells from scrolls anyway (Wiz, Alchemist, Sword Saint). It will tell you if you can use it (as opposed to reading it to learn the spell) at the top. If it says skill check needed that means it's outside your class list.
3. You should try to both have enough rations and hunt, otherwise it will wait until you find enough hunting which can take a long time if your Nature Lore isn't high. Think about ways you can lessen your need for rest, as that will improve Kingdom performance once you get one.
4. There are a few spells (mostly Summons) which take a full round. What's taking so long is low Initiative. If you want your spells to go off faster get more. There are options under the difficulty menu that let you choose what information to see. I turn them all to always. You can turn them off as needed, but the one with the time counter is useful from keeping track of initiative.
5. Use a Bard instead. You can sing and do other things at the same time (unlike Baldur's Gate, for instance). There are some advanced uses for True Strike, but it shouldn't be needed in general and there are better things to do with the few spell slots you have.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Three characters who can read scrolls is probably too many. I see this a lot from new players. Classical Mages are pretty weak early to midgame compared to the alternative. You can always use Sylvan Sorc, but then it's your pet playing the game not your MC.

Efe

Erudite
spell have their casting time shown in description.
most are standart actions that take 3seconds. some like enlarge person are full round actions taking 6 seconds.
very few are swift actions. These are mostly for hybrids i believe. like resounding blows and litany of entanglement. these take no time.

you can get any cleric to learn inflict wounds spells.

you need 1 ration per head minimum but if you get a good roll you could hunt for a portion of rations and consume less.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
You could try sending a bug report: https://kingmaker.owlcatgames.com/content/bug-report-technical

Does the issue persist if you play without mods?
The game works perfectly fine without the mod. It seem more people than I have had this problem, when I search online.
Are you using the recent updated version of UMM and the TB mod?
I was using the latest version of both. I have uninstalled the mod manager and the TB mod. I'm now playing with rtwp on my old save. The thing with the mod manager was that it would crash the game before I even got to the main menu. The times it did work, I had no actual problems playing the game with turn-based combat. I suppose that it is not a big loss. RtWP combat seem well implemented in this game.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
You could try sending a bug report: https://kingmaker.owlcatgames.com/content/bug-report-technical

Does the issue persist if you play without mods?
The game works perfectly fine without the mod. It seem more people than I have had this problem, when I search online.
Are you using the recent updated version of UMM and the TB mod?
I was using the latest version of both. I have uninstalled the mod manager and the TB mod. I'm now playing with rtwp on my old save. The thing with the mod manager was that it would crash the game before I even got to the main menu. The times it did work, I had no actual problems playing the game with turn-based combat. I suppose that it is not a big loss. RtWP combat seem well implemented in this game.
That is very unfortunate to hear. If you want, there are ways to make the RTWP gameplay manageable.
>Auto Pause settings
18CH6wY.png

>Tactical time flow
Bx8fP59.png

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

>Is there any way to heal Jaethal other than using her own spells. eg consumables?
Yes. In the early game Bokken sells a whole bunch of inflict wounds potions at Oleg's trading post. Later you will get access to a cleric at the capital that sells you scrolls.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Three characters who can read scrolls is probably too many. I see this a lot from new players. Classical Mages are pretty weak early to midgame compared to the alternative. You can always use Sylvan Sorc, but then it's your pet playing the game not your MC.

Right now I'm so early that I only have a small number of non-magical companions.

What are the other ways of healing Jaethal? Or is it a spoiler? She can't drink potions presumably.

Yosharian

Arcane

Check my steam page for info on healing

Crichton

Prophet
I had this issue with the game in full screen mode. Switchong to 'full width windowed mode' or some such resolved it for me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Desiderius

Patron

Right now I'm so early that I only have a small number of non-magical companions.

What are the other ways of healing Jaethal? Or is it a spoiler? She can't drink potions presumably.

There is only one at that stage that can read a scroll (to learn it, to just cast it requires a Use Magic Device check if it's not on your list, which it tells you on the scroll) unless you're changing classes. If you are it will make for tougher sledding, as is a MC wiz first playthrough.

Yes, she can drink potions of Inflict.

AliceAlcina

Learned
I managed at normal difficulty, but I do recommend spell that lowers the saves. I run him with Ekundayo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom